Expat to run 999 kms in Thailand to raise fund to help street dogs

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good and positive story.

However, considering the reasons for dog meat trade, particularly in SE Asia (i.e. there are a lot of people that like to eat dogs so there is money to be made),

it would be the same as saying one will run 999 kilometers to convince people to rethink consuming beer.

My point is: to tell someone (in SE Asia !!) who likes to eat dogs, to stop eating dogs, is like telling someone who likes to drink beer to stop drinking beer.

They both love what they do/consume.

• Like 2

The Story came from Soi Dog a registered Charity in Thailand featuring the run two times now. Last time The Nation Editor picked the news up and now Thaivisa. It got over 550 shares thousands of likes.

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=621021847939554&set=a.137025779672499.11141.108625789179165

Donation link

https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/1dUr4/ab/e28Hvd

Edited by kanokarn
  • Like 1

However, considering the reasons for dog meat trade, particularly in SE Asia (i.e. there are a lot of people that like to eat dogs so there is money to be made),

it would be the same as saying one will run 999 kilometers to convince people to rethink consuming beer.

My point is: to tell someone (in SE Asia !!) who likes to eat dogs, to stop eating dogs, is like telling someone who likes to drink beer to stop drinking beer.

Perhaps the funds will be used to track and stop this ILLEGAL trade. Drinking beer is not illegal in Thailand.

• Like 2

This chap need to run 9,999,000,000 to even begin helping the soi dogs in Thailand,

and even than, when you thought you have helped them all, there will be more of them

running around, this is an unwinnable cause...

• Like 1

"My point is ..." is way off the mark, and you could do well to research the business. The syndicates engaged the trade are running an illegal business, and are discretely supported by people in high places, including government members, simply because of the money to be made. The stolen dogs are mostly semi domesticated, well known dogs from neighborhoods all over the country. Some are actually household pets, snatched during well planned raids. The cruelty they are subjected to, would be more than you could stomach, I am sure. So please, this is not about you.

• Like 2

Good news. Good man. When there's a run to stop the cattle, swine, poultry, sea creatures, etc. trade, count me in.

Yep, especially the sea creatures, their habitat destruction, and over harvesting. The domestic animals are overmedicated and abused, the dogs are undermedicated terribly abused on their way to Nam., sad situation, so good on anybody trying to help.

Perhaps the funds will be used to track and stop this ILLEGAL trade. Drinking beer is not illegal in Thailand.

If the dog trade is illegal, why isn't dog cruelty illegal make the people take care of them, Is their no law for being cruel to a dog ????

I have a well to do neighbor who has a dog in a 2x2 mt space, it's claws are twisted and 2 inches long, sores all over it's hairless body, diseased , and ill fed. it cannot get out, what can I do ???? the lady laughed at me when I told her she was cruel. It needs to be put down.

Good for this topic/run, a help if nothing else. There should be laws in urban areas at least to not have strays around.

"My point is ..." is way off the mark, and you could do well to research the business. The syndicates engaged the trade are running an illegal business, and are discretely supported by people in high places, including government members, simply because of the money to be made. The stolen dogs are mostly semi domesticated, well known dogs from neighborhoods all over the country. Some are actually household pets, snatched during well planned raids. The cruelty they are subjected to, would be more than you could stomach, I am sure. So please, this is not about you.

Let's agree that my point was half off, since the OP is about raising a fund to help rescued dogs, and also help toward putting a stop to the dog meat trade.

Also, nothing I wrote is about me: I don't eat dog meat and I hardly drink beer.

And to another poster's response: my point was not about legal or illegal.

If nobody wants to eat dog meat, there would be no dog meat trade.

Now, there is dog meat trade because there are people that want to eat dog meat.

To really eradicate dog meat trade, the objective could be to make people don't want to eat dog meat.

Perhaps this is also an objective in the OP.

Now, my comment was that, to change a dog meat lover's desire to eat dog meat (to not eating it), would be the same

as to change a beer drinker's desire to drink beer (to stop drinking it).

Very difficult.

Running 999 kilometers will not persuade a dog meat lover to stop eating dog meat..........unfortunately!

I would be the last person to accept, condone, justify, animal cruelty!

• Like 1

Definitely a good cause, and the money will go to good use. I never met a corrupt dog in my life. Once they get their fill they are satisfied and let others share the goods. Perhaps those in power can learn a few lessons from them.

They also defecate and urinate in the street, and lick their genitals in public.

Let's agree that my point was half off, since the OP is about raising a fund to help rescued dogs, and also help toward putting a stop to the dog meat trade.

Also, nothing I wrote is about me: I don't eat dog meat and I hardly drink beer.

And to another poster's response: my point was not about legal or illegal.

If nobody wants to eat dog meat, there would be no dog meat trade.

Now, there is dog meat trade because there are people that want to eat dog meat.

To really eradicate dog meat trade, the objective could be to make people don't want to eat dog meat.

Perhaps this is also an objective in the OP.

Now, my comment was that, to change a dog meat lover's desire to eat dog meat (to not eating it), would be the same

as to change a beer drinker's desire to drink beer (to stop drinking it).

Very difficult.

Running 999 kilometers will not persuade a dog meat lover to stop eating dog meat..........unfortunately!

I would be the last person to accept, condone, justify, animal cruelty!

Cut the supply of dogs then you would not have the export from here, (or little). No dogs on the run/in the street none can be collected for sale.

The stopping of eating dog --you are on a loser--stop supply. same ivory-rhino horns.

New Thai laws re the keeping of a dog---please update/ or make new.

Government to set up an RSPCA centre (I cannot find one in UDON)

I hope he will run in the many Sois pestered with vicious street dogs. Wearing short pants, of course.

Q

I agree after been bitten 3 times here I have no time for soi dogs . I commend his charitable nature but question his intended benefactors .

After recently visiting the local children's hospital and seeing how kids with cancer are treated and the very substandard facilities along with many other diseases the underfunded over worked hospice is I . just cannot see how any right thinking person could run for a soi dog when their own kind is suffering from underfunding Espcially an innocent child .

I agree with these guys. He won't be so keen on soi dogs after he's been chased by a pack of them. The best way to help soi dogs would be to round up and neuter most of the females so they don't breed like rabbits all over the place. It always tries my patience when I see people putting food out in the street for them and then going home, taking no responsibility for the pack of feral dogs they are helping to maintain.

I hope he will run in the many Sois pestered with vicious street dogs. Wearing short pants, of course.

Q

I agree after been bitten 3 times here I have no time for soi dogs . I commend his charitable nature but question his intended benefactors .

After recently visiting the local children's hospital and seeing how kids with cancer are treated and the very substandard facilities along with many other diseases the underfunded over worked hospice is I . just cannot see how any right thinking person could run for a soi dog when their own kind is suffering from underfunding Espcially an innocent child .

This is an area (funding hospitals) that can come with a government change, no one person can raise the sort of money the cancer/a.n. other causes want. corruption money could easily serve this cause -so hats off to this charity.

no street dogs no bites--no defecating in public areas. local government and laws to the caring of animals is long overdue.

to an earlier poster who said urinating in the streets by dogs is no good (or words to that effect) there are more Thai males that do this everyday than dogs---TRUE.

• Like 1

Q

You seem to suffer from the delusion that someone who wants to help dogs can't think about anything else. I give money to the RSPCA and the Red Cross on a monthly basis as well as other charities.

How do you define 'their own kind'? If you're not Thai are they your own kind? If you are Thai but from perhaps Bangkok are people from Isaan your own kind since they are ethnically different?

I agree with you that helping a hospice or any charity that helps the sick is a good idea but remember a lot of these dogs are pets and often in families with children who will be upset by the loss.

Q

I agree with these guys. He won't be so keen on soi dogs after he's been chased by a pack of them. The best way to help soi dogs would be to round up and neuter most of the females so they don't breed like rabbits all over the place. It always tries my patience when I see people putting food out in the street for them and then going home, taking no responsibility for the pack of feral dogs they are helping to maintain.

I think Soi Dog do neuter dogs and there is a government programme to do this as well. People do need to be educated though to take these measures. I do think more use could be made of humane euthanasia. Before anyone mentions that Thais are Buddhists and can't kill anything that's rubbish as can be seen in any market.

Would you dislike the whole human race if you were chased by a pack of them?

I live in rural Isaan and I have had dogs other than my own bark at me once or maybe twice but never had any aggression. I've also only seen a dog defecate on the street in Bangkok once and seen faeces twice. I never see it in my area.