Diving in Krabi?

Shurup

Hi there,

My fiancee and I are planning a trip for end of Dec - beginning of Jan. She's getting an itch as she hasn't been in the water for about 6 months and I want to mainly try out my new camera / housing / strobe combo and get some nice pics of us underwater, for this reason we picked the Andaman sea and as we don't really want to travel to an island and want to avoid a NY drunken crowds, we decided to go to Krabi instead of Phuket.

Now the thing is - I don't know anything about Krabi, I traveled trough a few times but never stopped, I know there're lots of nice places above and below water, but we don't know where to start, and where to stop for that matter.

Can anyone recommend any decent hotels, not in the boonies but a little closer to the touristy areas and the dive shops, as well as can anyone recommend any decent dive operators?

We will be travelling by car so transportation won't be an issue but still we would like to be somewhere within a walking distance from restaurants, dive shops and a little shopping. Or, if it's nothing like a Phuket and parking is a non issue, then it doesn't really matter?

Anyways, any dive shops and hotels in Krabi anyone can recommend?

I recommend Ao Nang as it is close to Krabi and offers what you're looking for!

Check on Tripadvisor for accommodation.

I specially recommend "The Dive" in Ao Nang - the owner is a good old friend and has best knowledge for UW-photography.

Have a great time thumbsup.gif

Right, what you are describing is Ao Nang. I booked a nice four-star there a couple of times for about US$40. Best bet is to check Agoda, select Ao Nang, check out the reviews, don't book anything less than *Excellent* or *Very Good*. Krabi is okay for 2-3 days (my opinion) unless you get involved in a sport. Rock climbing and kayaking are big. Can't say about the diving, but my experience is you have to get away from the mainland pollution to make it worth the trouble and expense. You said no islands, but Koh Lipe is a short speedboat / ferry ride from mainland. You should probably check it out at some point (before it is ruined like the rest). I know a good operator there, big boat -- more like a small ship. Always photographers hanging around and on the boat. (Post a reply if you want the info.) Most dive sites are a short 30-40 minute hop from Lipe. On Lanta (just off mainland) in contrast, was about 2.5 hours out and back. That was to get beyond the pollution / garbage belt. (Disgusting.) Five hours on the boat and the dive sites were NOT worth the trip. Not even close. Krabi may be better but what I saw of the water when I was there not real inviting. May have been the weather, though.

I said no islands as my fiancee is more than a little worried leaving a car somewhere and going to an island, if I offer an island trip, she'd want to take a bus and I don't want that. If traveling by car and going to an island, we would need to store a car somewhere and I have no idea where, but sure, post the info, I'm open to suggestions.

Will check Ao Nang, thanks for the replies, at least something to start the research with.

I said no islands as my fiancee is more than a little worried leaving a car somewhere and going to an island, if I offer an island trip, she'd want to take a bus and I don't want that. If traveling by car and going to an island, we would need to store a car somewhere and I have no idea where, but sure, post the info, I'm open to suggestions.

Will check Ao Nang, thanks for the replies, at least something to start the research with.

Not sure from where you are traveling. You can fly to Hat Yai, taxi or minibus to Pak Bara (or Pakbara) Pier. Boat from there to KL. I've done both taxi and minibus. Of course, the minibus has its share of stops. If you drive there is a parking service at Pak Bara Pier. Search any of those terms, you'll find a lot of info. Food was good in Krabi... I dunno. Scenery around there, the formations and forest are nice, motor biking good... I got bored pretty fast. Maybe just me. And I was traveling solo at the time. Never did diving there but can't imagine visibility being that great. And the fish are no doubt long gone. I think most operators will run you out to Phi Phi sites. But speaking from ignorance here. Best of luck.

Phi-Phi would be my choice for the Andaman Sea, been there many times but again it's the same problem with getting to an island and parking, or taking a bus.

I'll be coming off work end of Dec, my fiancee is picking me up in BKK, we drive to Pattaya for a few days, then drive to Krabi from there (2 days car trip). It will be inconvenient flying or taking a bus with my case with dive gear plus all my and her other junk.

Need to research parking at the pier.

Here is a question to all the divers - how far from the mainland one needs to travel to get more or less clean water?

The rain season is over so shouldn't be much land runoff?

I agree with those who recommend Au Nang , within that coastal region there are many nice hotels and resorts at varying prices . Sub Acqua necessitates

leaving the mainland for a day or part of a day . Your car can be left at your hotel/resort in safety . Longtail boats will take you to Chicken Island or a cruise vessel will take you to Monkey island , where there is very pretty coral and a miriad of tropical fish just off the beach . The cruise goes on to

Phi-Phi Islands , Phi-Phi-Ley has coral off the beach . I'm sure a Dive shop would organise day trips to dive on coral reefs . If you look up Krabi on the internet you will see all the hotels and resorts to choose from in the Au Nang region .

Just chatted to a GF, we both decided to head to Ko Lipe instead, both of us heard nice things from our friends about this island, but never been there as it's far.

Wordworx, you said it's a short ride from mainland? from which pier in which province (Satun???) Can a car be left at that pier?

You can get pretty much all the info you need here: kohlipethailand.com. But don't rely on a prompt reply if you email. They get a load of mails and many are of the *dumb question* variety. Looks like you can now book online with them or you can use an agent. Probably you can just head to the pier, but maybe better to reserve ticket in advance and pay a little more. Place called "The Travel Shop" runs above-noted site. Swiss guy and his Thai wife. They are happy to answer questions and book stuff for you once you are there. You'll take the boat from Pak Bara Pier. I understand there is serviced parking there. I don't know it, but suspect it is secure. That's a busy little pier.

The Travel Shop is just around the corner from the dive shop I use. Ocean Pro: oceanprodivers.net. Run by a Canadian guy named Dave and his (of course) Thai wife, Noi (sp?). Their boat is killer. Big with a second-level deck. Never crowded, great for lounging en route. Lunch is pretty good. Best part is: It's a short run to the sites. I think the furthest out is about 1.5 hours. Most are within about 30-40 minutes.

You can do Agoda for hotel maybe 2 nights, snoop around for other places if you stay longer. For about $35-45 you can get a decent clean room with good bed, fan, A/C and hot shower. Maybe best off the beach as newer and cheaper. For maybe around $60-75 you can get a large x-tra comfortable freestanding bungalow with deck and not share walls. KL is less backpacker than most beach locations, so a little more expensive. You will see backpackers but more upper-level EU types. And the diving generally prices out the former. Accommodations run from real cheap to real expensive. And you can walk the entire island easy.

Visibility is generally good to great. Some dramatic coral formations. Sadly, most of the big fish are gone, but you'll still see some interesting stuff. And they know where to get you for photos. One of the things they do. You can also snorkel and (further out) freedive off the beach, though I think the reefs have been taking a beating.

Not sure what TV Forum policies are on URLs, but I have a KL gallery at LBAV.net. Just the island and waters. You can find the undersea stuff around. Or just see Google images. Still a nice little island (I think).

On the driving thing: Were it me I would probably pay Air Asia the sport luggage fee, taxi from Hat Yai airport to Pak Bara Pier, get the transit over with. All that driving and hassle seems like it might add some wear and tear to the *traveling couple scenario*. But that's just me.

Edited by Wordworx
  • Like 1

Lipe is fully booked.

Back to searching at Ao Nang, or possibly Phi-Phi?

Really? After all that dissertation? That blows. Yeah, Krabi is probably the way to go. Looks like plenty of rooms still available in Ao Nang, with rates elevated some. You can island hop by boat, if that's your bag. Maybe best just to hit Krabi, sort out your plans then based on conditions.

Yeah, I checked on booking.com and agoda.com and both said the same thing, also checked some resorts clicking the links you provided - all full.

Phi-Phi is pretty full too, only couple of most expensive resorts left and I'm not paying 7,000-10,000 baht a night! From all my trips to PP, I'm sure there are still plenty of smaller guesthouses and hotels left, that aren't on the booking websites, but not having their contact info (and honestly I don't even remember their names) and not being able to call and book, I'm not risking going there without booking the very end of the year.

Ao Nang it is then, still plenty of cheap accommodations left.

Thanks all who replied.

There are rooms still on LIpe. Just, at this point, not going to be listed on the web. Why don't you email Ocean Pro divers, say:

*Hello Dave and Noi, Lowell Bennett told me if I dive Lipe, you are the people to see...*

Some BS like that. Tell them how many days and ask them to get you a room. Likely no prob. Probably will be place next to their shop. If you are serious about diving, worth the effort.

In any case, Lipe or Krabi, have a good one.

An update (a few days too old but anyways), the GF booked a room on Ko Lipe, used the Thai networks and blogs to find some of the smaller hotels/guesthouses owners and booked with them. 6000 for 5 nights stay, not too bad considering it's a New Year time.

Right, what I thought. Places cut off the agencies and booking sites and the small places don't much bother. You need an actual phone number to call the latter (usually). If a decent place 6000 is a good deal. If you dive with Ocean Pro (and I recommend it) tell them I sent you. American guy about Dave's age (the owner), name of Lowell. Might be dropping by in a month or two. Enjoy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...