Do I Need A Police Report From My Home Country?

well now i am confused. some of you are telling me that i dont need a police report to get an non immigrant one year visa as a prelude to getting my retirement visa. so do i need one or not. is there anyone out there who just got there non immigrant visa and was asked for it. i know you have to apply out of the country for this one year visa. i was thinking of going to penang or singapore. any suggestions? but do i really need the police report or not. soo comfusing. thanks for all your help.

joe

i know you have to apply out of the country for this one year visa.

Well actually you don't. If you currently have a tourist visa and are here in Thailand put the required funds into a Thai bank account and obtain the letter from bank and a medical certificate and present yourself to immigration and request the visa. There seems to be a good chance you can get the visa/extension inside Thailand these days if you have your paperwork ready.

If you apply outside Thailand you must meet the local Consulate rules and they are not uniform; thus we can not provide black/white answer to what is required.

No intermediate step is necessary to go from tourist to non-o (retirement) in Bkk. Go to the third floor office of the main immigration office with the documents lopburi3 told you to have ready and it is a done deal. You will have to go back in thirty to allow for processing, but they will give you whatever extentions you need on your tourist visa. Remember, the bank letter must include the source of the funds and the date transferred into Thailand.

well now i am confused.

Joe, it is confusing and completely depends with whom you are talking and where. Two years ago I did exactly what you are trying to do. If you are in Thailand, you don’t need to get out and whether you are in or out of Thailand you don’t need criminal records. Those who are saying so or asking you to get it are pulling your legs. All you need to do if in Bangkok is exactly as lopburi3 and mrmnp are saying. When I moved to Phuket two years ago with a spouse, no problems. Hope you will have the same experience.

Cheers........kandt :o