Why can't foreigners in Thailand read and speak Thai?

Braddockrd

Perhaps they had already eaten. whistling.gif

New people we meet always ask Mrs.Trans what I eat. When she tells them I do not eat Thai stuff their faces drop............bah.gif ............laugh.png

... you serious?

I know your fondness for the Big M ... but you don't eat Thai.

Even Thai Clam ... rolleyes.gif

Nope, except Dom Yum Goung, if thats how you spell it smile.png . BUT, I eat Chinese and Indian grub thumbsup.gif . My stomach cannot deal with the ''over the top'' chili's, salt and sugar that Thai/Lao food has. sad.png

Very interesting responses. It shows the character of the people living in Thailand, most of which would probably cringe at the sight of foreigners living in their country unwilling to learn their language. I guess that once you abandon yourself there is no bottom. The only reason I learned to read Thai while living in Thailand was because the feeling of being illiterate, not being able to understand anything written around you is something that I was only willing to bear as a tourist on a short time stay. To me, working in Thailand demanded that l learned at least the basics of the language, if only to be able to be treated different than a white buffalo by common Thais. But as the saying goes, to each it's own... Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

The answer is pretty easy - necessity. Most people here with English language skills can happily get by without needing to learn Thai. When a situation comes up that needs Thai, they usually have someone to turn to that is Thai and can help. It is not just this way in Thailand. In the UK there are whole areas where there was mass immigration back in the 50-70s that are predominantly Bangladeshi, Pakistani or Indian. In these areas you will find many elderly people that came to join their families from the sub continent that speak no English at all - many after 30 or more years. Simply because they do not have to.

I learned to read Thai because I thought it would help and because I am a control freak and need to be in control - most do not need it. Many learn to speak quite passable Thai by the way, but still can't read it. I have Thai friends that grew up in the UK. They have Thai families and connections, including business connection and family, back here. Yet the ones from my generation (40s) and below speak Thai with a poor accent (Thais here pick up on it straight away - even I can hear it) and can not read or write at all. They simply have not needed to - in fact one of them, a good friend since my school days, is actively learning how to read, write and speak Mandarin - but not Thai, his parents' native tongue!

• Like 1

It's funny to read some many comments about Thai people speaking only about food. In fact, asking if you have already eaten or not is a way to say hello, a way to show interest, a way to say something nice to you. The advantage of starting a conversation with some food or weather comments is that it makes you feel much more positive than to start immediately to rant and criticize everything, as most farangs do on this forum. Before to start an interesting conversation with most Asians, there should be a time to speak about food, weather, what you did today, how nice is your garden, what product you use to clean your car, ... Things like that. You just lose time first, with things that can make everybody feel good and smile. Then you can start to speak about other things. But many Thais just don't want to speak about serious things. It's just too boring. They prefer light hearted conversations. They keep serious conversations for their close friends. If you start to speak too seriously they will divert the conversation again to something nicer that does not make them feel bad. At the end they certainly feel better than the frustrated farang who could not unload his anger about his own life. Most importantly, many Thais don't want to speak about something else than food or weather with farangs because that's all these farangs can understand anyway. Why would they speak seriously with someone who can't speak their language and can't understand their society. I can understand the Thais who don't bother to speak seriously with farangs very well. Without understanding very well the language, and without having a good interaction with the Thai society, there is no way a farang can understand Thais. It's a too different world. A way for many here to become less grumpy would be to learn to speak fluent Thai and engage in light hearted conversation with the Thais. A light hearted conversation about little things of life makes everyone feel better. Those who learn the language and can interact with the Thai society understand much better the people they live with... Once a good friendship has developed it can evolve to other types of conversations. Serious and boring things can be discussed on this forum biggrin.png Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

For a great majority of the phone conversations my wife has, "giin khaow yaang" is the first or second sentence.

When the policeman stops me for speeding we don't talk about food.

Police are the only exception I make to the "no speaking English with Thai people" rule I have created for myself. In BKK most coppers don't speak English in my experience. With them I speak in rapidfire English and pretend not to understand their Thai, going on and on in English about the injustices of them having stopped me. This has worked for me on several occasions, exasperating them and helping me avoid a trumped up fine. I'm not kidding here, it is much better to speak English than Thai to police.

• Like 1

It's funny to read some many comments about Thai people speaking only about food. In fact, asking if you have already eaten or not is a way to say hello, a way to show interest, a way to say something nice to you. The advantage of starting a conversation with some food or weather comments is that it makes you feel much more positive than to start immediately to rant and criticize everything, as most farangs do on this forum. Before to start an interesting conversation with most Asians, there should be a time to speak about food, weather, what you did today, how nice is your garden, what product you use to clean your car, ... Things like that. You just lose time first, with things that can make everybody feel good and smile. Then you can start to speak about other things. But many Thais just don't want to speak about serious things. It's just too boring. They prefer light hearted conversations. They keep serious conversations for their close friends. If you start to speak too seriously they will divert the conversation again to something nicer that does not make them feel bad. At the end they certainly feel better than the frustrated farang who could not unload his anger about his own life. Most importantly, many Thais don't want to speak about something else than food or weather with farangs because that's all these farangs can understand anyway. Why would they speak seriously with someone who can't speak their language and can't understand their society. I can understand the Thais who don't bother to speak seriously with farangs very well. Without understanding very well the language, and without having a good interaction with the Thai society, there is no way a farang can understand Thais. It's a too different world. A way for many here to become less grumpy would be to learn to speak fluent Thai and engage in light hearted conversation with the Thais. A light hearted conversation about little things of life makes everyone feel better. Those who learn the language and can interact with the Thai society understand much better the people they live with... Once a good friendship has developed it can evolve to other types of conversations. Serious and boring things can be discussed on this forum biggrin.png Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't/cannot speak Thai but have a zillion Thai friends, strange that. Most Thai folk want to learn English, this country understands that, and they love talking to me, an Oxford English speaking farang. smile.png

Police are the only exception I make to the "no speaking English with Thai people" rule I have created for myself. In BKK most coppers don't speak English in my experience. With them I speak in rapidfire English and pretend not to understand their Thai, going on and on in English about the injustices of them having stopped me. This has worked for me on several occasions, exasperating them and helping me avoid a trumped up fine. I'm not kidding here, it is much better to speak English than Thai to police.

The policeman stopped me and asked me what golf course I liked playing in the area. No he didn't speak any English.

I don't/cannot speak Thai but have a zillion Thai friends, strange that. Most Thai folk want to learn English, this country understands that, and they love talking to me, an Oxford English speaking farang. smile.png

Not Universal ... but certainly appreciated in parts ...

post-104736-0-22071600-1386319788_thumb.

Not Universal ... but certainly appreciated in parts ...

attachicon.gifIMG_1518 LR.JPG

I did talk to a monk once that smoked more fags than me..........w00t.gif

But I have a monk friend in a near bye Temple that speaks perfect English, nice guy. thumbsup.gif

The policeman stopped me and asked me what golf course I liked playing in the area. No he didn't speak any English.

Wow, you're a cool guy.

I have Thai friends that grew up in the UK. They have Thai families and connections, including business connection and family, back here. Yet the ones from my generation (40s) and below speak Thai with a poor accent (Thais here pick up on it straight away - even I can hear it) and can not read or write at all. They simply have not needed to - in fact one of them, a good friend since my school days, is actively learning how to read, write and speak Mandarin - but not Thai, his parents' native tongue!

I remember about a year ago there was an article here on TV about the HiSo kids going to English programs at school not being able to speak proper Thai.

Maybe it's time Thais modernized the language. Vietnamese seem to do fine with their roman alphabet and tone marks. And spaces between the words.

• Like 2

The answer is pretty easy - necessity. Most people here with English language skills can happily get by without needing to learn Thai. When a situation comes up that needs Thai, they usually have someone to turn to that is Thai and can help. It is not just this way in Thailand. In the UK there are whole areas where there was mass immigration back in the 50-70s that are predominantly Bangladeshi, Pakistani or Indian. In these areas you will find many elderly people that came to join their families from the sub continent that speak no English at all - many after 30 or more years. Simply because they do not have to.

I learned to read Thai because I thought it would help and because I am a control freak and need to be in control - most do not need it. Many learn to speak quite passable Thai by the way, but still can't read it. I have Thai friends that grew up in the UK. They have Thai families and connections, including business connection and family, back here. Yet the ones from my generation (40s) and below speak Thai with a poor accent (Thais here pick up on it straight away - even I can hear it) and can not read or write at all. They simply have not needed to - in fact one of them, a good friend since my school days, is actively learning how to read, write and speak Mandarin - but not Thai, his parents' native tongue!

Being in control is something I like and maybe one of the motivations to learn Thai.

It's all about motivation. The guys who say they can't learn Thai certainly could if their life depended on it.

Just ask a waitress who ignores me and hands my wife the menu.

Having a Thai wife/gf that speaks good English can often be a hindrance in Thai learning. When I met my wife, she couldn't speak a word of English and we spoke Thai for the first few years. Now, we actually speak English more.

If your Thai gf doesn't want you to learn Thai be on the lookout.

Being in control is something I like and maybe one of the motivations to learn Thai.

It's all about motivation. The guys who say they can't learn Thai certainly could if their life depended on it.

Having a Thai wife/gf that speaks good English can often be a hindrance in Thai learning. When I met my wife, she couldn't speak a word of English and we spoke Thai for the first few years. Now, we actually speak English more.

I was taught French for five years, failed miserably, failed English and I am English. What are your thoughts about me ?

YET, I can converse with any nationality with my actions, my (hansum) face, eyes, hands, it works and causes a lot of smiles. ..........smile.png

• Like 1

I have Thai friends that grew up in the UK. They have Thai families and connections, including business connection and family, back here. Yet the ones from my generation (40s) and below speak Thai with a poor accent (Thais here pick up on it straight away - even I can hear it) and can not read or write at all. They simply have not needed to - in fact one of them, a good friend since my school days, is actively learning how to read, write and speak Mandarin - but not Thai, his parents' native tongue!

I remember about a year ago there was an article here on TV about the HiSo kids going to English programs at school not being able to speak proper Thai.

Maybe it's time Thais modernized the language. Vietnamese seem to do fine with their roman alphabet and tone marks. And spaces between the words.

I recently heard a couple of Luek Krung kids (8 or 10 years old) speaking perfect strong northern Yorkshire accented English on a viewing deck of Central Plaza - (Ay oop Dud, tha' can see f' miles 'n miles art t' see from oop eer can't tha'). And they spoke Thai with a heavy Yorkshire accent that I had to really concentrate to understand even a few words, as did their Thai Mother by all accounts.

They therefore couldn't speak English or Thai.

I learned to read Thai out of boredom and my previous desire to want to learn another language. I always thought how cool it would be to speak to someone in their own tongue. If anyone is interested, and you have the time, you won't regret learning. How long will it take? Depends on the teacher, but once you memorize their alphabet, I would bet in about 50 hours you can make a simple sentence out.

There is a great website once you get some basics down, that will send you an email everyday for a small monthly price. http://www.Thai-Flashcards.com

I try to read these once a day, e.g.

อพาร์ทเมนท์นี้มีอุปกรณ์ตรวจจับควันไหม?

à pháat mén níi mii ùp pa koon trùat jàp khwan mǎi?

Does this apartment have a smoke detector?

I learned to read Thai out of boredom and my previous desire to want to learn another language. I always thought how cool it would be to speak to someone in their own tongue. If anyone is interested, and you have the time, you won't regret learning. How long will it take? Depends on the teacher, but once you memorize their alphabet, I would bet in about 50 hours you can make a simple sentence out.

There is a great website once you get some basics down, that will send you an email everyday for a small monthly price. http://www.Thai-Flashcards.com[/size]

I try to read these once a day, e.g.

อพาร์ทเมนท์นี้มีอุปกรณ์ตรวจจับควันไหม?[/size]

à pháat mén níi mii ùp pa koon trùat jàp khwan mǎi?

Does this apartment have a smoke detector?[/size]

I paid for a year subscription to this website near when I started learning Thai also. As your Thai improves and you use this website more, I think you will see there was little benefit to paying for a subscription; most intermediate/advanced words have no sound/voice (the main premier feature) and many do not even have a definition entered. Many definitions are incorrect or inaccurate also. You can get the daily newsletter and the flashcards free (just no voice). It's an alright website but there is little incentive to paying for it. I have had numerous email conversations with the owner, Oliver Antosch, about this and he kind of agrees even.

I made the effort.

4 years of Thai school, several diplomat based courses ( I am not a diplomat)

4 years and a lot of practice later, I could write like a 5 year old, and found it had absolutely no impact on my business.

I still find Thais often treat my attempts at Thai as amusing,like a performing monkey, a lot of businessmen find it worrying even suspicious ,and even go as far as to speak in a regional dialect or walk away to discuss things.

It helps if I'm lost or negotiating at a market, thats about it.

With 14 years of hindsight now I wouldn't of bothered.The absolute worse part is meeting other westerners who insist of speaking crap Thai to me, and assume I'm part of there sanctimonious, self back slapping brotherhood.

Learn Spanish, Chinese, or some other language would be my advice, don't bother with such a difficult language, that carries no weight what so ever outside of Thailand.

I have had a very similar experience to yours.

• Like 1

I wonder how many can sign their name in Thai?

I am trying to learn that basic now.

I can, I wish I could have read Thai by the time my name was translated, it's wrong because the translator used English as base. Not even close to it's correct Finnish pronunciation. Oh well, mai pen rai.

The OP needs to speak to a linguist, but there are technical reasons as to why many farlang in particular don't speak Thai. It has to do with the ageing process and the fact that Thai and other Asian languages don't have the same roots and structure which many English and many European languages share. Strangely however, the of the little I know, I find Chinese(Mandarin) easier. As other posters have also said English is everywhere in the places you need it.

Do you wonder how many Thai can sign their name? i would guess a few million still just put crosses

With a listed literacy rate of 97%, I would guess you are incorrect.

My partner was fluent in English when we met. I disregarded the "common wisdom" of the expat crowd that warned me away from Thais that speak English (professional BF's) because .... well ... frankly still being under 40 at the time and dating an IT pro that had a reason to speak English it made sense (compared to the 60+ crowd dating 20 y/o's)

It slowed down my acquisition of Thai language skills significantly. We always spoke English at home (and still do.) When I was at the pidgin Thai level I would ask "If I say this ... will I be understood?" What followed would be a lecture of the polite proper way. I quit asking smile.png Just stuck with classes and books with increasing difficulty and more vocabulary.

We still only use English and he forgets I speak Thai quite often. This is simply because he thinks in English and not Thai. My speaking Thai is quite convenient since he hates asking questions from strangers, while I rather enjoy it.

I agree with Neer, if you partner discourages you learning Thai they are trying to keep you dependent, That is a big red flag for me!

edit -- tried to remove the quote header from Wolf but it would not let me.

Edited by jdinasia

Do you wonder how many Thai can sign their name? i would guess a few million still just put crosses

With a listed literacy rate of 97%, I would guess you are incorrect.

And unlisted?

for kindergarten and primary teachers this should be a must. for tourists it is recommended not to get lost on the way where most signages and places are written in thai. yes you are right that its not that difficult to learn since it only took me 2 weeks memorizing those ko kai go gai...bla bla bla, and i find it very useful wherever I am and wherever I want to go, I dont get lost. I dont need to get into trouble talking to Thai locals who can barely understand simple english. For English, I teach reading in a way they teach reading in Thai using the sounds they used to hear, so easier for them to remember and associate sounds and letters. For touristing, I dont find myself into confusing conversations with Thai locals. just go on my way since I can read Thai. at the bottom line of it, its very advantageous compared to those who cannot read and/or write, but it ones own choice.