Why can't foreigners in Thailand read and speak Thai?

Braddockrd

Why don't I speak or read Thai, simple answer is do I not want to.

I bet you loads of money if you could read and speak Thai tomorrow without effort and fluet you would want to be able too.

What most people mean here they don't want to put the effort in (and i can understand as some of us are real busy retired people excluded). But nobody passes an opportunity to acquire knowledge at no effort.

To bad its not available without effort. I am the last to condemn people as I feel i should be much further with my language skills.

The reality is speaking and writing Thai helps you a lot but its not easy. I do know that i love the fact that I can communicate and make myself understand in conversations. I also hate that it is a tonal language as I really don't hear the differences that well but the sentence usually makes things clear.

• Like 2

Aye,

Shall wait for the inevitable TV sub-thread on how migrants back home don't integrate, and shall back link this thread when that time comes.

Thanks OP!

Samran,

I would not care much how much Dutch immigrants back home speak unless they are living off welfare and not speaking the language impedes their chances of a job. Otherwise their choice.

• Like 2

Can't speak for everyone....but for me after living here for 10 years (vocabulary of mayber 500 words)....my Thai is very basic....

WHY?...First off I'm an old man and its hard enough for me to remember where I left the car keys! let alone learn a "tonal" language like Thai.

Next....don't really need much more than the basic's that I know to communicate with the Thai's.....isn't That what its all about ...communication!

So why the attitude .....congrats to you....but each to their own

I live already more than 20 years here in Thailand and I can still not speak Thai good, with what I know I try to speak hit and mostly some people can understand me when the want to, it is a difficult languest and I am a very bad singer,

Vietnamese is whorst

• Like 1

Because 90 percent of Thai conversations are about food, and I don't care what they ate, when they ate it, was it good, when will they eat next etc....

Not true. They also enjoy conversing about photography. Of food.

Why don't I speak or read Thai, simple answer is do I not want to.

I bet you loads of money if you could read and speak Thai tomorrow without effort and fluet you would want to be able too.

What most people mean here they don't want to put the effort in (and i can understand as some of us are real busy retired people excluded). But nobody passes an opportunity to acquire knowledge at no effort.

To bad its not available without effort. I am the last to condemn people as I feel i should be much further with my language skills.

The reality is speaking and writing Thai helps you a lot but its not easy. I do know that i love the fact that I can communicate and make myself understand in conversations. I also hate that it is a tonal language as I really don't hear the differences that well but the sentence usually makes things clear.

Notice I said don't rather than directly answer the OP's question of can't, actually my reading skill's are worse than poor at best but I can converse ok which the only time that comes in handy is when I go visit the inlaws in Nakorn Bumfcuk Nowhere once in a blue moon.

Edited by Spoonman