Why can't foreigners in Thailand read and speak Thai?

Braddockrd

Because 90 percent of Thai conversations are about food, and I don't care what they ate, when they ate it, was it good, when will they eat next etc....

Total rubbish.

Also, I can't understand the people who say they don't want to talk to Thais.

I can speak, read and write due to simple hard work learning.

Was it a waste of time? Of course not. I just bought a house and it would have been extremely difficult if I couldn't have read the mortgage details or been able to tell the builders what to do.

I just built a shed and to go around shops asking for advice on what material to use etc would have been impossible if I was linguistically challenged. I read newspapers to see what's going on.

If you are a long-term tourist I guess there's no need to learn. If you're happy to be chained to your wife, fair enough. I could think of nothing worse than having to take my wife to the mechanic, bank, barber, etc. Learning the language gives so much freedom. I'd be totally embarrassed if after a few years I was still using sign language.

I spoke to the local 'head man' at eh weekend regarding security of my house and noise levels.

Last week I had had a drink with my neighbour and I learned a lot about Thai history.

Today, I went to the bank and discussed my mortgage. Yesterday, I had a meeting with one of my kid's teachers to discuss her getting off school for travelling to Bangkok. I could go on but basically, I live a normal life and to say the use of the language is a waste of time is ridiculous.

There are no excuses - only laziness and lack of motivation. Age is irrelevant. I'm no youngster and I'm learning Chinese at the moment. I know old guys, one in his 70s, who have learned to speak Thai fluently.

Today I bought my beer, noooooooooo probs.....................Sign language.....................clap2.gif

Would it be too much to learn "ow bia singh kuat neung"? The first words I learned were "bia Singh eek kuat" out of desperation rather than anything else.

It sounds pretty hard, i only learned "Sing krap"

Should it not be owe bia sing neung kuad? and should it not be ow bia sing neung kuat krap?

I thought you said you were fluent

Would it be too much to learn "ow bia singh kuat neung"? The first words I learned were "bia Singh eek kuat" out of desperation rather than anything else.

Should it not be owe bia sing neung kuad? and should it not be ow bia sing neung kuat krap?

Nope, Neer's karaoke was correct.

I can only speak for myself: I was considered a good learner of languages, when it came to speaking.

I was lost, when it came to grammar.

Until today, I could not make up a sentence, if you would ask me to put it in "past perfect"...

And I am even more lost with the Thai- system of "melody". I just have total difficulties pronouncing pet,pet,pet ...or even pet differently, when I am talking about ducks, the number 8, spicy food or jewels!

Happy for the OP, that he is such a genius, though!

Another one for you: "new wood doesn't burn"

Because 90 percent of Thai conversations are about food, and I don't care what they ate, when they ate it, was it good, when will they eat next etc....

Total rubbish.

Was it a waste of time? Of course not. I just bought a house and it would have been extremely difficult if I couldn't have read the mortgage details or been able to tell the builders what to do.

I just built a shed and to go around shops asking for advice on what material to use etc would have been impossible if I was linguistically challenged. I read newspapers to see what's going on.

If you are a long-term tourist I guess there's no need to learn. If you're happy to be chained to your wife, fair enough. I could think of nothing worse than having to take my wife to the mechanic, bank, barber, etc. Learning the language gives so much freedom. I'd be totally embarrassed if after a few years I was still using sign language.

I spoke to the local 'head man' at eh weekend regarding security of my house and noise levels.

Last week I had had a drink with my neighbour and I learned a lot about Thai history.

Today, I went to the bank and discussed my mortgage. Yesterday, I had a meeting with one of my kid's teachers to discuss her getting off school for travelling to Bangkok. I could go on but basically, I live a normal life and to say the use of the language is a waste of time is ridiculous.

There are no excuses - only laziness and lack of motivation. Age is irrelevant. I'm no youngster and I'm learning Chinese at the moment. I know old guys, one in his 70s, who have learned to speak Thai fluently.

Best post of the thread. I openly admit I am just far too lazy to write Thai. That is what my staff is for smile.png Reading, however was simply too vital to ignore!

I am guessing that most of the people claiming age as the impediment to learning Thai are living in a farang ghetto like Pattaya. That has always boggled my mind, but I did not move here at 39 for what Pattaya has to offer.

The effort really is minimal and the rewards are vast.

To say age makes no difference is just silly, sorry.

There is a reason, why youngsters start to speak foreign language really fast and if moved to another country young enough, do not even have an accent.

Age makes a huge difference. Yes one can learn new language, however with age it is much much harder and accent is much much heavier.

Even more so when learning language which totally different to your mother tongue in more ways than one.

I am bilingual, picked up Russian to pretty much fluency in under 2 years, but i was also very young.

Thai, i started at much later age and i am far from fluency nor am i near the retirement age

I can understand you having difficulty learning the language. In your first line you say you only learned "Sing krap". When wwriting your secon line you forgot what you wrote in the first!

I suggest you take your 'krap' question to the language forum and you might learn something.

I can only speak for myself: I was considered a good learner of languages, when it came to speaking.

I was lost, when it came to grammar.

Until today, I could not make up a sentence, if you would ask me to put it in "past perfect"...

And I am even more lost with the Thai- system of "melody". I just have total difficulties pronouncing pet,pet,pet ...or even pet differently, when I am talking about ducks, the number 8, spicy food or jewels!

Happy for the OP, that he is such a genius, though!

Have you eaten duck yet when you ordered spicy salad?giggle.gif

Once i ordered morning glory-spicey

But received morning glory and a plate of duck.laugh.png

Or ended up in the wrong soi? wanted to go to soi 38 but was taken to 31biggrin.png

I can understand you having difficulty learning the language. In your first line you say you only learned "Sing krap". When wwriting your secon line you forgot what you wrote in the first!

I suggest you take your 'krap' question to the language forum and you might learn something.

Yes, you right, in the villages they do not need to be politelaugh.png

Krap is for hi-so's onlycheesy.gif

• Like 1

Nope, Neer's karaoke was correct.

Ok, if you say sowai.gif

It requires a lot of effort on our part.

Thailand makes it near impossible to ever become a citizen, we're not allowed to buy land, etc, etc, etc

Due to this most people will only regard themselves as temporary visitors so why bother learn a language that is only useful in a country where you're staying on a temporary basis.

Long term temporary or not, I don't see the point. I will never be here permanently and I'll move on at some time in the future at which point Thai becomes useless and I have less useless things to spend my time on.

Sorry but the part of becoming a citizen is not true. Its not anymore difficult than in any western country. If you pay taxes and work here on a work permit you can be a citizen within 5 years the same as most other countries. Plus in most developed countries they put an age restriction where as here there are none.

If I may point out the error of your post.

In Thailand

You have to earn 50k a month (Thai minimum wage 9k/month), taxable and earned within Thailand with a work permit.

In employment no Thai can do. Almost impossible for most people.

In the UK

You have to have a family income of 1500gbp/month (UK minimum wage 800gbp/month).

You can work in any job from the day you arrive, no work permit required.

Your income can be earned from anything, anywhere in the world.

Sorry Which UK are you speaking about ? If I want to visit your country I must obtain a visa which takes between 4 to 6 weeks to approve. Then if I should get a job I must earn GBP 18 000 pa (as my wife dont need to work here I must make that amount to compare apples with apples). I must get a letter from my potential employer and submit it to be able to stay longer than the 30 days allowed. Then if I am lucky enough I will be able to stay for a year. I have many countrymen that was refused further visas for the UK after 4 years not because they have done anything wrong but because your government will rather give citizenship to people from other EU countries than from outside. If you get a job paying GBP 1500 you can maybe just survive in a city like London, with average rentals at GBP 800 pm, leaving you with GBP 700 for food, heating, travel etc etc. Please also check the age restrictions on becoming citizens in other countries. Most countries dont grant citizenship for people over 50 yrs, I am 51. And who the hell want to freeze of their budds off in the UK if you can stay in Thailand.

The importance of learning a new language is not dependant on whether or not that language is of economic significance. We should respect all languages in the world. If you're in china, learn mandarin. If you're in thailand, learn thai. Simple as that.

Or, if I may add, just speak English, so much easier, I learnt English from birth, so not hard for me.

But all of you multi-linguists can make us feel inferior if it makes you happy, us older folk don't really give a toss, we'll never master the Thai language now, it's too late for our shrivelled up grey matter to absorb such information. I could say more but it's tiresome now......to the bar, "Leo, Krap!" Kob Kuhn Krap.

I just say Baa..locks to em, mind you I'm from Yorkshire and we have a pretty good understanding of sheep...... It is funny though how some sheeple think they are superior to others if they can read and write the language of the country they live in...bah.gifbah.gif

I must say that for a Yorkie your English is very good. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Best post of the thread. I openly admit I am just far too lazy to write Thai. That is what my staff is for smile.png Reading, however was simply too vital to ignore!

I am guessing that most of the people claiming age as the impediment to learning Thai are living in a farang ghetto like Pattaya. That has always boggled my mind, but I did not move here at 39 for what Pattaya has to offer.

There is a reason, why youngsters start to speak foreign language really fast and if moved to another country young enough, do not even have an accent.

Age makes a huge difference. Yes one can learn new language, however with age it is much much harder and accent is much much heavier.

Even more so when learning language which totally different to your mother tongue in more ways than one.

I am bilingual, picked up Russian to pretty much fluency in under 2 years, but i was also very young.

Thai, i started at much later age and i am far from fluency nor am i near the retirement age

Ummm go back in my post and look for anywhere I said "age makes no difference"----

I agree...we all need to speak such a universal language.

I know if I learnt to read, write and speak fluently it would open doors around the globe for me.

If you live here then you are totally avoiding the point. Your answer is a non sequitur. In the context of the question your answer is as significant as if you had said "Haircut and a shave, two bits."

A truthful answer from you would run something like "I am lazy and do not give a rats arse about Thailand, its language or its people. I expect to live in total comfort and because my currency has a favourable exchange rate, they can all patronize me and in general kiss my backside. No effort of mutual respect should be expected on my part."

You're good...

I don't speek as much as I want but more then enough to hold conversation understand what people are saying. The next step would be for me to learn to read. I think its important if you ever want to be independent. It helps me a lot in many ways. I already speak 3 languages and this will be my 4th. For me its a time issue its hard to combine it with my work and hobbies. But as I now speak quite a lot (not good enough to follow the news or movies though soap operas are not a problem) i don't know about writing. I do know that I want to go on developing my oral Thai language skills.

For reading and writing, check this out. Very good for beginners. With those chapters I also practiced writing all of it. There are two books; this is the first one.

http://www.seasite.niu.edu/thai/maanii1/fsmaanii1.htm

Thanks for that link I read that Prathom 1 book. Nice to see it online.

Total rubbish.

I hardly speak a word of Thai, maybe 10 little phrases, but I have managed to do nearly everything from getting bank accounts, and having the satellite tv installed, even went to the ToT shop and arranged for iptv, and no-one there could speak a word of English, ( mind you, they fitted it 3 doors away!) nah, just kidding. Took my Thai driving 'test' at Chok Chai, no-one spoke English there either, it's easy to do anything, even if you cannot speak Thai. I always find my way home at the end of the day, no probs. I really don't see why I should spend hours every day getting stressed out, when I could be on the golf course enjoying retirement.

Don't get me wrong, if it floats your boat, go for it, but it's not for me thanks. I get by.

Ummm go back in my post and look for anywhere I said "age makes no difference"----

very sorry for misinterpreting your "people claiming age as the impediment to learning Thai are living in a farang ghetto like Pattaya"

Funny, I was just thinking how I've been noticing a lot of foreigners speaking Thai (or at least genuinely trying to) in Thailand. I was recently on Ko Chang and noticed several expats there who spoke comprehensible Thai with vendors and such -- and that's a place where it's really not necessary. One guy was really excellent. Then when I got back to Bangkok last night there was a young farang on the BTS talking on the phone and speaking practically like a native. Then tonight I was buying some street food at Sala Daeng and the guy before me was speaking decent Thai with the vendor. I then stepped up and ordered in Thai, and the vendor, who spoke very good English, said "I don't need to speak English anymore because so foreigners can speak Thai!"

It's definitely not an easy language. I've been working at it for the better part of 10 years and am still not "fluent". But there are plenty of foreigners in Thailand who at least are trying.

I've been working at it for the better part of 10 years and am still not "fluent".

Too be perfectly honest, I take with a pich of salt those farang who come on here and claim to be fluent.

I know exactly where my Thai falls down, religion (as an atheist I dont speak about religion), medical (never meet met a Dr in Thailand whose English was worse than my Thai), legalese (dont need to talk to lawyers here).

I dont need to know the working of a television, or an a/c unit.

Too be honest I find studying the language to be, repetititve, mundane, but most of all, frustrating.

The differences between spoken and written dont help.

The only written Thai I have done in the last 5 years has been writing my name and address.

The last two times I went to "immi" the conversation was conducted in Thai, in and out in less than 20 minutes.

• Like 1

Just had the missus fastly babble at in what was a language un-known to me.

Asked her to settle down and as it turns out she wanted money to buy a box of beer before the shop closes as you cannot buy any tomorrow.

Sometimes it saves money NOT to understandlaugh.png

Asked her to settle down and as it turns out she wanted money to buy a box of beer before the shop closes as you cannot buy any tomorrow.

Like telling a Thai how to take care of a house while the owner is away. cheesy.gif

Panraya mai rue ruang, prung nee seu dai.

Like telling a Thai how to take care of a house while the owner is away. cheesy.gif

Have you done it? or just felt like trolling once again?whistling.gif

Total rubbish.

Best post of the thread. I openly admit I am just far too lazy to write Thai. That is what my staff is for :) Reading, however was simply too vital to ignore!

Pray tell us what the rewards are? By the way, I live in Nakhon Ratchasima, not Patts, not that many Ghettos here. Please tell me why do you think it's your business whether we should learn to speak the native language, just because you do? You live your life, and I'll live mine....have a good one ok.

Total rubbish.

Pray tell us what the rewards are? By the way, I live in Nakhon Ratchasima, not Patts, not that many Ghettos here. Please tell me why do you think it's your business whether we should learn to speak the native language, just because you do? You live your life, and I'll live mine....have a good one ok.

The rewards? Hmmm hopping on my motorcycle and going absolutely anywhere with no need for a babysitter is a great one :)

Korat has scads of foreigners living there. Fairly easy to isolate into a foreign community there if you are in the city. (Yet if you are not using advanced age as an excuse to not learn Thai, it isn't a germane point on where you live :)

It isn't my business if you choose to be culturally isolated. That is your choice and you are welcome to it :) Some people like to have to be carted around and have everything done for them ... some like to get out and do things ... I am the latter type :0

Thai does not take long to learn? Are you kidding? Have you actually tried or are you just someone that wants to find fault. I have tried and still try and do my best to communicate in the local language just as I would anywhere else. That is in my mind only proper. But Thai is far from easy as it made up of sounds rather than a true alphabet. Nor does it have anything in common with any Western languages. So it takes far longer to 'hear' the right way to say things and compile a basic vocabulary and then be able to string the elements together into an understandable sentence. Try using the translator in Google and you will see that even it has a great deal of trouble using the right words in the right order. Its algorithms cannot even keep up. So when it comes to our human abilities... we are not much better.

So keep your distastes to yourself. But do not look at the inability to speak or write in Thai as something negative. Your comment about 'Bar Girl' speak is just a cheap shot. Not all of us are here for that or for that matter the cheap beer. Just live here and enjoy it all without complaining.

Total rubbish.

Ok great you live in Korat, how many years have you lived there?

Do you actually live there or are you just another 2 week millionaire blow in?

Who in their right mind would chose to live in Korat, let me guess your mrs is from there, you had no choice.

You carry on and be yet another kaek (kao) your mrs will explain.

Please tell me, what country do you come from, and what do you think of the kaek who choose not to learn the language of your country?

Edited by rgs2001uk

Total rubbish.

I hardly speak a word of Thai, maybe 10 little phrases, but I have managed to do nearly everything from getting bank accounts, and having the satellite tv installed, even went to the ToT shop and arranged for iptv, and no-one there could speak a word of English, ( mind you, they fitted it 3 doors away!) nah, just kidding. Took my Thai driving 'test' at Chok Chai, no-one spoke English there either, it's easy to do anything, even if you cannot speak Thai. I always find my way home at the end of the day, no probs. I really don't see why I should spend hours every day getting stressed out, when I could be on the golf course enjoying retirement.

Don't get me wrong, if it floats your boat, go for it, but it's not for me thanks. I get by.

When I went to renew my license, the women asked in pidgin English where my wife was.

Learning a couple of words a day is hardly stressful.

• Like 1