New passport for baby - should I keep the visa?

Hello,

My 11 month old daughter is about to get a new passport - her second one. the first one was temporary and now she's getting a proper one.

She was born in Thailand but she's not Thai - she has a European passport.

So far she left Thailand once (to leave we had to show the birth certificate on the border) and came back on a tourist visa. This one expired a long time ago so she's here on an overstay but I've read that this is not a problem for children (no fines).

My embassy asked me if I would like to transfer some pages from her first passport to the second one. My question is - should I get the long expired tourist visa transferred or just ask for a clean passport and next time when we're traveling outside Thailand do it like when we did it the first time - just show the birth certificate on the border?

cheers,

You will need to show the entry stamp in old passport when she leaves. Immigration will transfer previous entry to new passport and stamp her out of the country in it.

They will still do an overstay stamp but there will be no fine.

The thing is I have to return the old passport to the embassy before I get the new one and it's my embassy who asked me if I want to keep any pages form the old passport and put it in the new one. Should I ask them to move the entry stamp then?

The thing is I have to return the old passport to the embassy before I get the new one and it's my embassy who asked me if I want to keep any pages form the old passport and put it in the new one. Should I ask them to move the entry stamp then?

Your Embassy is not able to move any stamps.

You need to retain the old passport and show it together with the new one on exit.

My wife is not Thai (and she's not my wife :))

Ok. now I get it. The embassy is asking me which pages they should keep and which to cancel and they will send me the old passport back together with the new one (I deal with them by mail). So I just have to ask them not to cancel the page with the entry stamp.

My wife is not Thai (and she's not my wife smile.png)

Ok. now I get it. The embassy is asking me which pages they should keep and which to cancel and they will send me the old passport back together with the new one (I deal with them by mail). So I just have to ask them not to cancel the page with the entry stamp.

However, Many people not ethnically Thai, who were born in Thailand are legally Thai. Have you persued that question. I suggest you take all birth records to aThai passport office, along with someone who can translate.

My experience withThai Lawyers is that they do not know the law, nor do they know what is allowed, so any opinion from one would be hyperbole.

My wife is not Thai (and she's not my wife Posted Image)

Ok. now I get it. The embassy is asking me which pages they should keep and which to cancel and they will send me the old passport back together with the new one (I deal with them by mail). So I just have to ask them not to cancel the page with the  entry stamp. 

However, Many people not ethnically Thai, who were born in Thailand are legally Thai.  Have you persued that question.  I suggest you take all birth records to aThai passport office, along with someone who can translate.

My experience withThai Lawyers is that they do not know the law, nor do they know what is allowed, so any opinion from one would be hyperbole.

That is not possible. It has been decades since that possibility went away.