computer hardware shop needed

phuketsub

I have an old desktop PC that keeps failing to boot; I have taken it to Amorn (BigC) so many times, but they never really solve the problem for much longer than the one-month service guarantee.

I would like to find a good, reliable and reasonably-priced hardware shop (preferably in Phuket Town or Rassada) that can just remove the hard drive and put it into a form that I can plug into my laptop when needed. I don't care about the rest of the unit, only some of the info stored on it.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I prefer to avoid all the traffic along the bypass road, if possible. tx

The booting problem could be SW issue and it could be that the hard drive is physically broken.

Download bootable linux, install it to a sd-card, do a fsck for the dekstop HDD, copy the files to another sd-card or install dropbox.. sorry I got carried away :)

You can remove the hard drive from the PC case with ease, all you need is an screwdriver. Then it's much more easy to bring just the hard drive to a shop. They'll select a suitable casing for you HDD, which then plugs to your laptop.

There is some, quite ok, computer hardware shops, which might help you to get the casing for the HDD.

Well, I do have screwdrivers, but I don't even know what a hard drive looks like...never ventured inside a computer before, but maybe now is the time to try since I could not care less about the rest of it.

But I thought that once I extracted the HDD I would be able to leave at the shop for proper disposal of the rest of it... still awaiting the name of a good shop too

I know a shop in Patong. If they haven't got the hardware item of your choice, they will order it from Bangkok, and it's there the next day, or day after. Not bad service. I haven't required there services for a software issue, so can not comment on that.

All you need is the HDD removed and a case. Most computer shops will have this case, for sure, no need to order it in. This is an easy job.

I gather you haven't "cloned" your HDD to a portable HDD, so, as oilinki mentioned, if your HDD is failing, you could lose the data on it.

Patong is not in your prefered area, but if there are no posts with shops closer to you, I'll post where this place is.

just buy an external case for the size(3.5") of your hard drive and then remove the hard drive and put it in the case them use the usb to connect it to the laptop, problem solved. The cases are around 1,000 baht, go for one that has its own power as it will transfer files much better, they are extremely easy to do and doersnt take any special computer knowledge. Just make sure to get the right one for your hard drive, is it sata or ide.

The desktop is old and therefore the HDD connectors could be either IDE or SATA. In this case it's best to bring the drive (or whole computer if wished) to the shop and let the shop to select one casing.

I think all the 3.5 inch drives require external power source. Only 2.5 inch drives can be powered by the usb.

phuketsub: As the computer is going to be scrapped anyway, why not turn this to an learning experience with your kids.

Open up the casing and study what is inside.

There is nothing to lose. Just don't open the hard drive itself (you would need torx screw for it anyway).. and do remember to unplug the power cable ;)

pcparts.jpg

parts12.jpg

The desktop is old and therefore the HDD connectors could be either IDE or SATA. In this case it's best to bring the drive (or whole computer if wished) to the shop and let the shop to select one casing.

I think all the 3.5 inch drives require external power source. Only 2.5 inch drives can be powered by the usb.

phuketsub: As the computer is going to be scrapped anyway, why not turn this to an learning experience with your kids.

Open up the casing and study what is inside.

There is nothing to lose. Just don't open the hard drive itself (you would need torx screw for it anyway).. and do remember to unplug the power cable wink.png

pcparts.jpg

parts12.jpg

A good idea, but if the data onboard is vital, might not be the best time for a first time "learning experience." :)

There is an excellent guy in Chalong the English Computer Guy. He has worked with computers for 50 years. Worked for IBM if I remember correctly. I have got his business card somewhere and will post his details for you.

Must admit that I am surprised at the OP's experience with Amorn at BigC. My desk top was giving trouble and i was just going to junk it and buy a new one. Thought I would give Amorn a try, after a few days in their shop, got it back and it's been working a storm for nearly a year. New mother board, not so expensive, about 3,000 baht. Amorn get my vote any day.

Must admit that I am surprised at the OP's experience with Amorn at BigC. My desk top was giving trouble and i was just going to junk it and buy a new one. Thought I would give Amorn a try, after a few days in their shop, got it back and it's been working a storm for nearly a year. New mother board, not so expensive, about 3,000 baht. Amorn get my vote any day.

Seconded - friendly, reliable and reasonable prices.

I would not recommend keeping the important data on an old HDD. Better buy a new 2.5 inch USB HDD and ask the shop to copy all your files to it.

If you want it done at your place, please PM me.

Sent from my Desire HD using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The question is, how "old" is old????

When they start making noise, it's a fair indication they are near replacing, but my understanding is, they can fail at anytime.

I clone my HDD to another HDD on a regular basis. The chances of both failing, at the same time, would be very slim.

If the HDD in the computer fails, I put the other HDD in and then straight to the shop to buy another HDD and clone again.

Thanks to all for your useful info, which has emboldened me to give this a go on my own (once I get the wife out of the house so I can think straight).

Perhaps after I screw the whole thing up there will be a lot more work for all of the vendors/computer guys recommended.

I'll keep you all posted (provided I don't also kill my laptop in the meantime).

Last question: where is the best place to buy one of these external hard drives and how much do they go for?

I buy my computer accessories at one of the shops in basement of BigC on bypass. You can shop about at one of the many vendors. If you want to stay in Rassada then there are a couple of computer shops. Used to be one on the way into the Merlin on left side, oops just checked on street view and it,s now a Fresh Market, another 200 m before the Bangkok Phuket hospital.

Thanks, but as it turns out my HD is kaput! I took it to Wattana Computer on Phang Nga Road downtown, where a guy named Moo said it wasn't recognized and was really hot when connected. I kept it anyway...

So I bought a 500gb Toshiba external HD...I was pretty good about backing up stuff onto CDs and DVDs over the years, but not so good about keeping them in anything that would resemble 'orderly fashion'...so it is going to be a big, time-consuming project to find them all among hundreds of other discs and get them all sorted and saved.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice and I hope my experience saves some other forum users the same hassle in the future.

Wattana was very good about it and didn't charge me anything for the 15 minutes of work invested, just for the record.

Thanks, but as it turns out my HD is kaput! I took it to Wattana Computer on Phang Nga Road downtown, where a guy named Moo said it wasn't recognized and was really hot when connected. I kept it anyway...

Install dropbox, google drive and/or sky drive to keep the most important documents synced with the cloud services. This is to protect for the theft and fires.. This as an addition for keeping copies of files on the new external hard drive.

If you still wish to try to recover the files from the hard drive, you can try placing it a plastic bag and put it to a freezer for couple of hours. Sometimes the hard drives work some minutes when cold.

The professional data recovery services are expensive and normally only used when the data is really important.

Install dropbox, google drive and/or sky drive to keep the most important documents synced with the cloud services. This is to protect for the theft and fires.. This as an addition for keeping copies of files on the new external hard drive.

If you still wish to try to recover the files from the hard drive, you can try placing it a plastic bag and put it to a freezer for couple of hours. Sometimes the hard drives work some minutes when cold.

The professional data recovery services are expensive and normally only used when the data is really important.

thanks...I do have GoogleDrive and use it for work stuff sometimes, but find the upload speed pretty slow. Anyway, I will give the "freezer option" a go (it certainly couldn't do any harm to try) and will let you know...

So I bought a 500gb Toshiba external HD...I was pretty good about backing up stuff onto CDs and DVDs over the years, but not so good about keeping them in anything that would resemble 'orderly fashion'...so it is going to be a big, time-consuming project to find them all among hundreds of other discs and get them all sorted and saved.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice and I hope my experience saves some other forum users the same hassle in the future.

Wattana was very good about it and didn't charge me anything for the 15 minutes of work invested, just for the record.

You probably should have bought two. Once you have your data on one, copy it all to the second one, just in case your main one fails. This way, you will not have to go through all your CD's and DVD's again.