Have you ever been asked ?

MichaelJackson

Nope. I am 100 percent sure I have been talked about in the neighborhood. Plenty of police and lawyers live nearby and have struck up conversations. Chances are they may have inquired as to my status at the immigration office two blocks away. (Udon). People just get to know you up here, and there is this feeling (not a bad one) that they are one step ahead of you. After a while, they stop guessing or asking. Anyways, I am legit, and do plenty of international travel. Filled up a new passport in one and a half years, got more pages, and now need a new passport in one more year. Even at the border, I always just get a shrug and a stamp. Visas never denied. Bonified Tourist/and most frequent visitor to Thailand. I imagine if I attempted to long stay with back to back visas/arrivals from the same border/country.... that my raise some questions. My girl maintains a home where I visit...has "nothing" to do with me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last june i found myself at the hospital for 3 long days (because of excessive sweating).

They did check my passport nearly everyhour... certainly for the insurance or in case i do a runner.tongue.png

Even a foreign women working for the hospital came to check my passport, her job was to solve any overstay problem.dry.png

Otherwise, never been asked.

And by the way, few years ago, in another case, i was chit chating with a lawyer about the blacklist.... all these stories you heard are mostly only myths...coffee1.gif

Edited by Bender

If you have an accident, there will be checks.

Be prepared to stay at IDC until they deport you, possible blacklist.

Yes agreed anything is "possible" , but has it ever actually happened or been requested to show etc?

Especially in the more rural non expat concentrated areas, away from pattaya, phuket, bangkok , chiang mai etc.

I was in a car accident a few months ago and the police got involved. They asked for my passport and made copies of the front page and the visa page.

You know this is a rather good question and does raise the issue of exactly how important the Visa this is here in LOS. It also raises a good sociological question regarding us Westerners sense of doing things correctly. I have to say that every time I have ever done a Visa Run I am worried that something is going to happen that will prevent me from getting a new stamp in my PP from Thai immigration. Then there are the times, like right now in my case, where I have to get a Re-Entry Permit so that I can leave for home for the holidays and see my kids when I really get nervous. We have all been there I am sure at one time of another and in the end we will laugh at ourselves for feeling that way in the first place for we actually breezed through the whole event without any trouble at all.

Now no one answering this OP is suggesting that anyone break the law or the rules. But it does pose the question as to the importance of it all.

I live (and have for 6 years now) up in Mae Sot in the North West of the country and though I have to go through many a check-point on the roads here I have never once been stopped. When on a bus it is usual for the authorities to check my PP. However, usually (9 times out of 10) they look at the cover and never open it to look at anything else (like my Visa stamp or even my picture). Actually I have traveled through these check points a number of times on the same date that my Visa was to end. But there is that 1 time when they will check my PP and look through it. But they never say a word to me about my visa ending. I am not Burmese, so I guess I am not in their orders for the day (?).

I do not have a Thai DL. I do not need one. My California one is just fine. Hotels are never a problem nor are the traffic cops. I have been done for speeding (paid the 200 bht to the cop and was waved off), been in a fender bender and no one cared or asked to see my passport (well it was not my fault anyway as I was hit from the rear.... by a cop on a scooter!). I have bounced between Burma, Cambodia, and Laos many times (even walked across the bridges to Burma countless times when we only got 15 Days each time) and no one gave me a second look. Just stamped me in and that was that.

So the OP does raise a good question. Paying 20Kbht when you want to leave is easy enough and doable and the time we could save by not worrying about what might happen might just be worth it. But we have to remember that we are guests here and so we must follow the rules. However the facts do not always match the rules. Like everything else in this country ... there are the way things are supposed to work and then there is the way things actually work! But to avoid being singled out, put in jail, or lectured ... just get your Visa in order and so have nothing to worry about on that front. But do still keep that 2000bht Tea Money in your wallet as well.

• Like 1

I am really really surprised at these posts, pretty much saying that visas are not something to worry about. Myself, I have heard and read many horror stories about what the authorities do to farangs with any discrepancy in paper work. My one experience with the B.I.B.'s a few years ago, was when I made a stupid mistake riding a motor scooter in Pattaya. The cop pulled me over and (first I tried to give him a card-sized miniature copy of passport pages, which a visa company gave out free, claiming that it would be accepted everywhere. He brushed this aside and demanded the real passport). He told me to go to the police station nearby and pay a fine. When I came back with the receipt he gave me back my passport. And here in C.M., I got caught making that left turn onto Tha Pae road where they set up to catch people occasionally. I walked to the police station and stood in line to pay the fine like all the others.

But I read that in Pattaya a Danish guy went out jogging and had a heart problem and was taken to a hospital. When he was released the visa had expired and he went to the police station (should have gone to Immigration) and they put him in prison. When he got to court the judge ordered him released. But then the cops put him back in prison. The newspaper said nothing about any extenuating circumstances, outstanding warrants - the man had been living in LOS for years, doing visa runs every 3 months. The people from the Danish embassy got him out of jail and took him straight to the airport and sent him back to Europe.

This is typical of what I have read in papers like the Pattaya News and stories I been told. So, I want to ask, have other people had such negative experiences with paperwork in this country or are the Posts above more typical?

If you have an accident, there will be checks.

Be prepared to stay at IDC until they deport you, possible blacklist.

I've once been asked to show my passport but didn't have it and they settled for my driver's license.

I've had accidents and nevr asked for my passport and visa.

I am really really surprised at these posts, pretty much saying that visas are not something to worry about. Myself, I have heard and read many horror stories about what the authorities do to farangs with any discrepancy in paper work. My one experience with the B.I.B.'s a few years ago, was when I made a stupid mistake riding a motor scooter in Pattaya. The cop pulled me over and (first I tried to give him a card-sized miniature copy of passport pages, which a visa company gave out free, claiming that it would be accepted everywhere. He brushed this aside and demanded the real passport). He told me to go to the police station nearby and pay a fine. When I came back with the receipt he gave me back my passport. And here in C.M., I got caught making that left turn onto Tha Pae road where they set up to catch people occasionally. I walked to the police station and stood in line to pay the fine like all the others.

But I read that in Pattaya a Danish guy went out jogging and had a heart problem and was taken to a hospital. When he was released the visa had expired and he went to the police station (should have gone to Immigration) and they put him in prison. When he got to court the judge ordered him released. But then the cops put him back in prison. The newspaper said nothing about any extenuating circumstances, outstanding warrants - the man had been living in LOS for years, doing visa runs every 3 months. The people from the Danish embassy got him out of jail and took him straight to the airport and sent him back to Europe.

This is typical of what I have read in papers like the Pattaya News and stories I been told. So, I want to ask, have other people had such negative experiences with paperwork in this country or are the Posts above more typical?

Simple solution, don't live in Pattaya. This is a city full of corruption, prostitution, and loads of other criminal activities. All the foreigners engaging in the prostitution racket are breaking the law so can't really complain when dealing with bent cops. If you do, get a drivers license and get a yearly visa.

• Like 1

At Lucky (?) hotel in BKK suk soi 3, when checking in the lady looked at every page and checked my visa carefully, I think she may get a reward for catching overstay, On Samui, checking in the receptioist looked at my arrival card date and said oh your visa expired !!! I had to explain to her that is my arrival not visa.

Similar experience at the Silom Regent hotel my wife and I stayed at recently - first and last time.

Receptionist was clearly unhappy at seeing a farang with a Thai wife (I can pick up these vibes pretty easily!) and became overly officious when examining my passport, just repeating over and over "where visa?".

I pointed out to her the current "extension" stamp and told her that my original visa had expired some years ago.

This rather deflated her and she just flipped my passport back at me over the counter and turned her back..........................true Thainess.

Are you sure she wasn't just jealous that your wife landed a Farang and she hadn't? I know what you mean. You can easily pick up the vibe but knowing its exact reason may be harder. Yes. She was unhappy and resentful? But why?

I had a Guest House in Chiang Mai and every guest had to present their passport and we would copy their name, PP number, TM card number and visa number. I don't know if this is still the rule. I paid a lady 500B a month to collect the daily sheet of names and she took it to Immigration.

I think when you book into a hotel they also take the PP and photo copy it - probably visa page copied too.

Personally, I have never been asked and I've been here since 1995

Plain clothes policemen at Ekamai bus station. Reported by many people that they do random checks mainly on incoming travellers I think. I got stopped and frisked once. Went through my bag, pockets etc. Had to show passport but I dont think they were too interested in the visa. Because I was travelling I had my passport with me.

Also checks approaching the Thai Burmese border near Mae Sai. Sometimes they ask for a passport, but again I dont think they are too interested in checking the visa.

At Lucky (?) hotel in BKK suk soi 3, when checking in the lady looked at every page and checked my visa carefully, I think she may get a reward for catching overstay, On Samui, checking in the receptioist looked at my arrival card date and said oh your visa expired !!! I had to explain to her that is my arrival not visa.

Similar experience at the Silom Regent hotel my wife and I stayed at recently - first and last time.

Receptionist was clearly unhappy at seeing a farang with a Thai wife (I can pick up these vibes pretty easily!) and became overly officious when examining my passport, just repeating over and over "where visa?".

I pointed out to her the current "extension" stamp and told her that my original visa had expired some years ago.

This rather deflated her and she just flipped my passport back at me over the counter and turned her back..........................true Thainess.

I had a similar instance at the Novatel at Suvarnabhumi.

I was flying out and as is usual the wife brought me to the airport and waited with me until it was time for me to go 'inside'. The departure was delayed and finally cancelled. We were booked on the next day's flight and passengers were sent to the Novatel for overnight accommodations.

We had to go first to some "service desk" and show our boarding cards. I told the man there that my wife was not traveling with me, so did not have a boarding card, but I wanted her to stay with me tonight. He said "No problem sir" and gave me a voucher of some sorts, and sent me to the reception desk.

The reception desk was manned by a Thai female "not quite the manager" type who did not like the Thai lady being with me, especially when she did not have a 'voucher'. She asked for my wife's ID card and said she would keep it. I told her if she wanted to photocopy the ID I did not care, but she was *not* keeping the ID. Of course, that got her back up and she wanted to get pissy with me.

I quietly told her, "Look, before you really embarrass yourself, and I call your manager and get you in trouble, take a look at the ID card in your hand. Check the name." She did so, reading the name out loud "Mrs xxxxx Jackson". I said, "Now look at my passport. Read the name." She did so, "Mr xxxxx Jackson." Wait for it.....light bulb on. "Oh, Mr Jackson I am so sorry I did not realize this is your wife please accept my apology." Then she switched to Thai and apologized to my wife profusely.

I was not offended...but it was nice to be able to turn the tables, so to speak.

• Like 1

Never been asked to produce id when out and about except when driving and then a thai driving license has sufficed.

Your visa type and status is checked when getting or renewing a driving licence. Also if asked for id in a bank and you show your passport I do not know if anything happens if your visa and/or passport has expired.

I suppose if you never went anywhere that passport id had to be shown and did not come to the attention of the police or other authorities, you would have a good chance of not having a problem.

Same as op, not suggesting going the 'sick bird' route (ill eagle)

Edit- space added

I just renewed my license for five years....in Udon.....had to give a copy of my passport photo page. No one checked my visa........in 17years, other than when I renew my extension each year, no one has ever checked. My driver license and a photo copy of my passport in my wallet works all the time....cops, banks, buy a truck etc

I do not have a Thai DL. I do not need one. My California one is just fine.

How does that work and stay within the Laws of Thailand?

It doesn't. If he gets into an accident he'll find out.

Not true! I was involved in a very very serious fatal accident 3 years ago. At that time I only had my Singapore driving licence - was never an issue

Sometimes I think the various laws here are a law unto themselves lol

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Commander Tamson
  • Like 1

Apart from the odd occasion when checking in to a hotel, although nine times out of ten they usually accept my wife's details or my Thai Driving License, only time I've been asked was approx 3 years back when I took out an Insurance Policy, that I have, the Ins company copied my PP photo page and Visa page for sending off to file at their BKK head office,

Checking into hotel in hua hin I showed photocopy of passport. Receptionist said she needed passport to record visa number. Fortunately had a copy of the visa page too. This was a newly opened hotel so I think they were still following correct procedures but most places don't bother.

Not true! I was involved in a very very serious fatal accident 3 years ago. At that time I only had my Singapore driving licence - was never an issue

Interesting. I was also in an accident once and never asked to see my license but it was the other guy's fault. By law, a license is required but the penalty is only a small fine. For insurance purposes, the car is insured rather than the driver as is the case in the UK.

If you are the cause of a fatal accident and don't have a license, I think you could have some high costs if they find out.

Interesting. I was also in an accident once and never asked to see my license but it was the other guy's fault. By law, a license is required but the penalty is only a small fine. For insurance purposes, the car is insured rather than the driver as is the case in the UK.

If you are the cause of a fatal accident and don't have a license, I think you could have some high costs if they find out.

The Singapore & UK driving licences are deemed full international. I was accused of being at fault for the fatal accident. As said my licence (or lack of) was never an issue

No guy, fortunately this is not a true Thainess.

You must to be very handsome guy, and always 18, and the recepcionist girl just was jelous to your wife cause her work lets her watch TV all day and she have seen to much Thai soap movie .... this reason.

So, just two reports of "driving licence renewal" so far,

Was asked to present my passport on a bus going into Mae Sot recently.

Edited by Dap

May be something is wrong with me, but I never had TH lisence, I use an international lisence, made in PKT, and unless I'm mistaken this is an official translation about my origin lisence. There is a small white book with a plenty of hologram plastic card. They valid for 20 yrs and I paid around 6000 B.

The card or book (I use only the card) is valid with my origin lisence.

I got many police checking on roads cause I drive 50 000 km / year, but this was OK anytime.

If someone is courious I can send picture.

regards

ps: when I submitted the application they wanted only my passport copy (with image and details, not visa page) and my origin lisence copy, 2 pictures and the MONEY. It took around 7 -8 days.

Edited by Loles

I think this depends a lot on the political climate and the pressure on the police. I've been stopped in Bangkok (3 Times in one week at one stage) and then not been for years.

For those who feel the Mai Ben Rai attitude, the police who know and seem to not care could be looking at you as ' money for a rainy day' and may shake you down at some point.

The 'stay out of trouble' thing could mean many things, as all it would take is to get on the wrong side of the wrong person and a nod in your direction.

I rented a motorcycle last year in Chiang Rai and got stopped at a police traffic check point. They asked for a Drivers License which I didn't have then asked for a passport which I also didn't have so I showed them a credit card with my picture on it. The two BIB passed it back and forth and laughed then waived me on. I think they really don't care unless you are doing something wrong or involved in some kind of dispute.