Have you ever been asked ?

MichaelJackson

Just a curious question, has anyone actually ever been asked to show or had there visa status questioned ?

Other than exiting or entering the Kingdom, no one has ever asked me to verify or show my visa details.

I have been stopped 3 times for stupid motoring things, never asked for a licence, never asked about visa.

I met an older guy one time, he was 74, been here 25 yrs, he said once he got to a certain age, had no intention of travelling again outside Thailand there was no point in visas anymore, "no one cares anyway " he said."If I have to leave for some reason, I"ll just pay the 20k at the airport and thats that, but I cant see me leaving now, they'll burn me here".

Seems to me that guys from the western world are so trained to follow rules etc that we do it on auto pilot, its natural, we just follow and do whats expected. The general disposition in Thailand seems to be one if sort it IF you need to as no one really enforces anything other than at key points like borders.

So, out of curiosity, has anyone actually had to produce or been questioned about there visa status whilst living in Thailand ? (other than 90 day report or exiting leaving etc)

Mods: please note I am not suggesting promoting or advocating the avoidance of visa procedures.

• Like 2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never been asked to produce id when out and about except when driving and then a thai driving license has sufficed.

Your visa type and status is checked when getting or renewing a driving licence. Also if asked for id in a bank and you show your passport I do not know if anything happens if your visa and/or passport has expired.

I suppose if you never went anywhere that passport id had to be shown and did not come to the attention of the police or other authorities, you would have a good chance of not having a problem.

Same as op, not suggesting going the 'sick bird' route (ill eagle)

Edit- space added

Edited by ThaidDown

If you have an accident, there will be checks.

Be prepared to stay at IDC until they deport you, possible blacklist.

Yes agreed anything is "possible" , but has it ever actually happened or been requested to show etc?

Especially in the more rural non expat concentrated areas, away from pattaya, phuket, bangkok , chiang mai etc.

I was in a queue at a temporary checkpoint when the police were looking for illegal Burmese. I was asked to produce my passport, I keep it in the pickup when out.

Did you notice if they just looked at your front page or actually checked your visa status ?

Thanks for contributing.

I was in a queue at a temporary checkpoint when the police were looking for illegal Burmese. I was asked to produce my passport, I keep it in the pickup when out.

Did you notice if they just looked at your front page or actually checked your visa status ?

Thanks for contributing.

He looked through every page he spoke a little Angrit which is unusual round here. Normally I just get waved on and saves both of us displaying our ignorance. laugh.png

bank to confirm you are here for more than a holiday for a bank account.

Almost forgot, had to produce it to get a certificate to state I lived here(in a residence with my wife), you have to show you are here longer than a holiday as well.

Edited by seajae

I was in a bar in Pattaya about 5 years ago.2 police walked in,the Senior yelled out passports,laughed like hell and they kept walking to the back room

6 months ago I was at a sing a song in Bua Yai.Plenty of people there,I was the only Farang,I was with my daughter in law.A Thai guy came in stumbling around looked like he was full as a boot.He was all over the shop,went out the back,came back in.The next thing I see him make a phone call and 40 coppers ran into the place,the guy put his ID on and headed straight for me.I thought I am gone here.He spoke perfect English,asked me how long I had been in Thailand,just general talking for 10 minutes,then he said I see you every morning when you go for your walk,then they were gone.I had no passport no ID he didn't care.

6 times in the last month.

1 - 3 at police checkpoints between CM and Phitsanulok and between CM & Mae Sai (actually there was a fourth time but BiB looked at passport cover and said "pffft!", which I took to mean "You no Burmese".)

4 - 6 when opening bank accounts.

(7...not happened yet, but I will be applying for a driver's licence)

Not worth taking the risk if you want to be able to live "normally" here.

Edited by Rob8891

Staying in hotels, I need some kind of ID,so I use my passport. Near border areas, definitely especially Cambodia recently with the stuff going on. Marriage-related stuff sometimes, but that is pretty much done, although might have other similar things to do later.

Generally, though, Thailand isn't like China or Russia. I can get how an old guy would just say "ok...done." I am not there yet.

One needs a copy of visa page when getting Residency Certificate for buying or selling vehicle and copies (both parties) for Land Transport Office or agent for book transfer.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font. Stop posting using Comic Sans font.

I have only been here like 2 years now and have been asked to produce travel documents once, on the bus to Nong Khai. They were military looking people boarding the bus. When he looked at me and i reached out to give him my pp he just noded and was hurtingly uninterseted. I have EU pp.

I do honor the visa rules though out of respect for the laws in this country that allows me to be guest here.

• Like 1

There are plenty of guys who don't care and just pay 20 k when they need to leave, which is of course less hassle than visa runs etc.

However, in the (admittedly unlikely) event you should get involved with authorities (car accident, etc) you definitely run a real risk of being jailed between 1 and several days depending on circumstances. Not worth it IMO.

Edited by Sam Gold

I was stopped Twice over 8 years ago at an Army check point about 20 kilometers from the Cambodian border, and asked for my passport, opened it to my picture page to view the picture, I do not remember if they looked up any other info.

Those were the only times I have been asked for it in my 13 years in Thailand.

Cheers

PS-I only stated when stopped by Law enforcement or other legal authorities,

have been asked numerous times for my passport while opening bank accounts, My marriage in Bangkok, registering Marriage Certificate at the Ampur, when registering at a hotel, when renewing my licence for my motorbike, when cashing a travelers check etc. but only asked for my passport twice by legal Authorities.

Edited by kikoman

I have been in four fender benders in the last 6 years, not once did they ask to see my passport. I did need to produce a drivers license, but even the two cases that ended up at the police station no one even asked to see a passport. I am completely legal through my school, but a drivers license always does the trick. It seems there would need to be a major crime committed before they would even care.

2 Police stops in 8 yrs, never asked for anything, no licence or passport, asked a few questions and that was it.

Hotels, just for ID, couldnt care less on the visa, same for recent hospital insurance, id only not interested in visa.

Only ones interested in Visa is immigration on enter or exit.

At Lucky (?) hotel in BKK suk soi 3, when checking in the lady looked at every page and checked my visa carefully, I think she may get a reward for catching overstay, On Samui, checking in the receptioist looked at my arrival card date and said oh your visa expired !!! I had to explain to her that is my arrival not visa.

If you have an accident, there will be checks.

Be prepared to stay at IDC until they deport you, possible blacklist.

No, you will not be blacklisted for overstay.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You can be if arrested and go to court.

If you pay at the border no problem.

Friend of mine teaching 11 years here, no passport, needless to say no visa etc. When there is a problem in the village between foreigners and Thais he is called in for his expertise in translating. And I ask myself how can he do this?

I ocassionally break the rules, by mistake by just trying to follow them and depend on Lopburi or Mario or many others to help me out.

So, just two reports of "driving licence renewal" so far,

And many never get the Thai driver's licence...

just pay the 200 baht fine if stopped.

Interesting,

I know of a guy who let his visa expire 20 years ago.

no visa,

no passport.

no driver's licence.

local police are aware of it.

He says he's been told "stay out of trouble and no problem"

I would worry about "trouble" maybe something as simple as a small traffic accident and then you have a big problem I think!

" how lucky do you feel punk? "

post-147745-0-31519100-1386212645_thumb.

At Lucky (?) hotel in BKK suk soi 3, when checking in the lady looked at every page and checked my visa carefully, I think she may get a reward for catching overstay, On Samui, checking in the receptioist looked at my arrival card date and said oh your visa expired !!! I had to explain to her that is my arrival not visa.

Similar experience at the Silom Regent hotel my wife and I stayed at recently - first and last time.

Receptionist was clearly unhappy at seeing a farang with a Thai wife (I can pick up these vibes pretty easily!) and became overly officious when examining my passport, just repeating over and over "where visa?".

I pointed out to her the current "extension" stamp and told her that my original visa had expired some years ago.

This rather deflated her and she just flipped my passport back at me over the counter and turned her back..........................true Thainess.

Thanks for contributing.

I have had my passport checked on bus runs to Mai Sai they just looked at the front page,

bank to confirm you are here for more than a holiday for a bank account.

Almost forgot, had to produce it to get a certificate to state I lived here(in a residence with my wife), you have to show you are here longer than a holiday as well.

I have a bank account with the Siam commercial bank. Many of the tellers know me. when I go in to move money around they always take a picture of my passport front page only. Then ask me to sign it. Generally I just give them a copy of my passport that I carry in the form of a laminated card in my wallet. Even though I have several bank accounts with them and the bank books with me.

Immigration policeman arrived at my office one day and wanted to see my visa. All was ok and he left after having spoken to my accountant who had to send documents/pictures of my staff (not onsite during the Immigration officers visit) to him the following day.

Immigration officer said he was surprised this was my first visit by his department in over 10 years.