Would you take a kid/grandkid to Walking St at 9pm ?

MrWorldwide

WS is as much an attraction as Buddha Mountain or the floating market. I wouldnt as I cant stand the place but whats the big deal if somebody does.

No big deal - I just wouldnt take a kid there any more than I would take a kid to the Vegas Strip or Sydney's Kings Cross - I guess its just me. I enjoy central Patts, unlike many on TV, but for me some parts of it simply aren't child friendly. A friend here in Dullsville told me she had to caution a parent re letting her kids wander through the gaming room at the local RSL - to me, its sad that someone has to tell parents kids aren't allowed in there.

I know Russia is a very different country to Australia - perhaps they simply dont believe in wrapping their kids in cotton wool ?  

Correction - the Vegas Strip is very kid friendly. They have pirate ship battles, fountain/light shows, Mardi Gras parades, all for free, for all ages. There aren't a lot of drunks and hookers and thugs hanging around. No go-go bars.  It's very safe.

The Vegas strip is completely safe and a lot of fun for families. Only annoying thing there is all the waterbottle sellers shouting 1 dollarrrr......

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No problem up till around that 9pm mark, or it was ok before....but I only did it a few times and each time was to go to the seafood restaurants there, so kinda have to walk along it a bit depending at which end you park.

But defo not later and now my kids are older, I would not take them there.

The place is a circus and kids love the circus....but it is a sleazy circus no matter how much you look at it....and sleaze and children just don't mix.

Cannot see anything wrong up till about 9pm but after that they should be home. And I would be more worried about the examples of the drunk foreigners than I would about the presence of working girls.

Yes, me too.

I do visit Pattaya with the kids, but we don't visit any nightlife areas.

It's funny because when we get back home the kids tell everyone about the great time they had at the beaches, dolphin shows and other stuff in Pattaya. This puzzles less clued in Farang people (i.e. most of them) who think Pattaya is only one big whorehouse. ;)

Ok. It's a whorehouse with a dolphin show.

• Like 1

I heard later on that the kid got knocked up and was banished up to Issan to the grandmother's for the duration

And all because she was allowed to see Walking Street...

Apparently a few minutes on WS and all the requisite parental warnings regarding the consequences of unprotected sex were immediately ignored. Wonder why grandma was left to deal with the poor-parenting gift set.

Edited by Suradit69

Cannot see anything wrong up till about 9pm but after that they should be home. And I would be more worried about the examples of the drunk foreigners than I would about the presence of working girls.

Yes, me too.

It's funny because when we get back home the kids tell everyone about the great time they had at the beaches, dolphin shows and other stuff in Pattaya. This puzzles less clued in Farang people (i.e. most of them) who think Pattaya is only one big whorehouse. wink.png

UncleJ ... I'm yet to find and issue upon which you and I fundamentally agree (he also tips the BahtBus driver) ... though, I'm sure one day ... it will happen.

Let me try harder to finds points of commonality.

EDIT ...

Oh, I've just seen that your a Scooter rider ... that's a start ... I like bikes ... wink.png

Edited by David48

Yes, me too.

It's funny because when we get back home the kids tell everyone about the great time they had at the beaches, dolphin shows and other stuff in Pattaya. This puzzles less clued in Farang people (i.e. most of them) who think Pattaya is only one big whorehouse. wink.png

UncleJ ... I'm yet to find and issue upon which you and I fundamentally agree (he also tips the BahtBus driver) ... though, I'm sure one day ... it will happen.

EDIT ...

Oh, I've just seen that your a Scooter rider ... that's a start ... I like bikes ... wink.png

So I can't count on your vote for poster of the year?

Why the tourists from Russia and China and other countries sometimes bring their kids there is beyond me, guess they can't leave their kids in the hotel room by themselves but that is no excuse.

Leaving kids in a hotel room by themselves is another story altogether, or, is it?

Yes, me too.

I thought ping pong balls, darts and goldfish were enough...

EDIT ...

So I can't count on your vote for poster of the year?

Mate, I don't know of a 'Poster of the Year Competition' ?

You have a link?

Who in there right mind would take children to Pattaya FULL STOP!

3MH

Depends on where you think Pattaya begins and ends - as others have gone to great pains to point out in this thread, central Pattaya is only one part of the city. No shortage of Thai people with kids in greater Pattaya - doesnt make them automatically 'insane'.

WS is as much an attraction as Buddha Mountain or the floating market. I wouldnt as I cant stand the place but whats the big deal if somebody does.

No big deal - I just wouldnt take a kid there any more than I would take a kid to the Vegas Strip or Sydney's Kings Cross - I guess its just me. I enjoy central Patts, unlike many on TV, but for me some parts of it simply aren't child friendly. A friend here in Dullsville told me she had to caution a parent re letting her kids wander through the gaming room at the local RSL - to me, its sad that someone has to tell parents kids aren't allowed in there.

I know Russia is a very different country to Australia - perhaps they simply dont believe in wrapping their kids in cotton wool ?

Lots of things on walking street that are not go-go bars, including restaurants and shops. The hustle and bustle of WS along with the range of different people. Watching all the different tourists gawking at the bright lights can be fun with a kid.

By the way, Dullsville (planet Perth) does not have RSL's, you must be from the other side of the rabbit proof fence close to the convict settlement of Sydney.

Who in there right mind would take children to Pattaya FULL STOP!

3MH

A little myopic in your outlook there, my son has been accompanying me for annual trips to Pattaya since he was 11. Jr loves Pattaya for a range of reasons including the freedom to do things like riding on the back of a baht bus, or going to Tukcom for software, or just having a meal.

Hell no if the kid was in his teens OK but that is kinda like you said a stroll down in Sin City strip. Kinda like showing the youngsters the finer points of the Mustang ranch in Reno!

Soi 6 would be a yet another place I think I wouldn't want My young kid to see. Like I said if it was my kid a boy 16 absolutely no problem. By then he's most likely seen it anyway but a young kid for what/

Get a babysitter & go to walking street & enjoy the view. good thing the Marilyn club is gone. That would be an education your kids really don't want to witness! Makes the pong show look tame.

Couple of things ...

Can you connect the Headline ... Would you take a kid/grandkid to Walking St at 9pm ?

and the OP ... I dont agree with some of the Russian-bashing on TV, but this is one area where they astound me

Is there some media missing to connect the two?

Its Mr worldwide, doesnt have to make sense.

• Like 2