Microsoft billionaire Paul Allen to fund Pan African elephant survey

webfact

Microsoft billionaire to fund Pan African elephant survey

NEW YORK: -- One of the founders of Microsoft, Paul Allen, has expressed his grave concern for the fate of Africa's elephants by adding his financial weight to their protection. He announced Dec 4 that his family trust will fund an Africa-wide survey to establish how many elephants remain.

This follows on an agreement by the Clinton Foundation to provide millions of dollars for anti-poaching programmes in Africa and President Obama's decision to have the US stockpile of illegal ivory crushed so it cannot be reused.

These moves reflect world-wide concern over the future of elephants, which are presently being poached at the rate of about one every 15 minutes. Estimates of elephant numbers in Africa range from 410 000 to 650 000 and many populations have not been surveyed for many years. 'Counts' are often based on conjecture and assumptions.

The Pan-African Survey will be coordinated by Elephants Without Borders (EWB), which is based in Botswana. It will require three fixed-wing planes and two helicopters doing tight transects in 13 elephant-range countries during the 2014 dry season. The aim will be to find where elephants are on the continent, where they're increasing or declining and what threats they face. The cost will be around $8-million.

'I'm honoured that his agreement to support the survey was instantaneous,' said EWB director Mike Chase. 'An eco-philanthropist like Paul knows what's at stake can identify with our vision because he visits Africa twice a year.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/40353/microsoft-billionaire-fund-pan-african-elephant-survey

-- eTN 2013-12-05

• Like 1

Good for you to get that off your chest never sure

Gott like his ownerhship of the Squawks though. Big time beat down of the last NFL poster team, feel good story, of 2010; The Aints

I'm not sure what you mean. The Seahawks dismantled the Aints last Sunday, I think. ?? Are we agreeing, and you're saying that the Aints were the poster team of 2010?

Neversure, I am sure the elephants will be happy too.

I'm sure the elephants won't know a thing about it unless they are bothered by helicopters.

I do know wealthy people who will give only in secret. They don't want the publicity.

I'm sure it's a good cause. I would just personally be embarrassed to take big bows for it. It looks like boasting to me. I see a lot of that.

• Like 1

Whether in secret or publicly, I applaud what he's doing. It would be easy to spend selfishly, as a rich Thai like a Shinawatre would do. When you save a large species, you're also saving many smaller species.

I have a project which I've started in northern Thailand: It's creating a 2.5 Km trail around a beautiful rocky hill which sits alongside the river near Chiang Rai town. Currently it's not visited by more than a dozen Thais per year, and they all stay within spitting distance of their cars. The park would (hopefully) be free to whomever, although two local pu yai bans want to put ticket booths there to take in money. I'm not adept at raising money, so am going to continue constructing the path solo. I like working outdoors. How to discourage Thais from tossing trash everywhere? I don't know. Any suggestions?

They also bring large amounts of matching funds from people and organizations when they throw their weight and their name behind a cause.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

But watch the horses teeth. They can bite and invariably need feeding later on.

The elephants need protection, as do many species on the Big Blue Marble I'm sure the human refugees in camps around the world will sleep better tonight and the hunger pangs of their children will go away knowing the elephants have a champion.

• Like 1

Whether in secret or publicly, I applaud what he's doing. It would be easy to spend selfishly, as a rich Thai like a Shinawatre would do. When you save a large species, you're also saving many smaller species.

I have a project which I've started in northern Thailand: It's creating a 2.5 Km trail around a beautiful rocky hill which sits alongside the river near Chiang Rai town. Currently it's not visited by more than a dozen Thais per year, and they all stay within spitting distance of their cars. The park would (hopefully) be free to whomever, although two local pu yai bans want to put ticket booths there to take in money. I'm not adept at raising money, so am going to continue constructing the path solo. I like working outdoors. How to discourage Thais from tossing trash everywhere? I don't know. Any suggestions?

"How to discourage Thais from tossing trash everywhere? I don't know. Any suggestions?"

Yeah, give them brain transplants. When I list the things I don't like in Thailand, that is always on the list.

They also bring large amounts of matching funds from people and organizations when they throw their weight and their name behind a cause.

But watch the horses teeth. They can bite and invariably need feeding later on.

The elephants need protection, as do many species on the Big Blue Marble I'm sure the human refugees in camps around the world will sleep better tonight and the hunger pangs of their children will go away knowing the elephants have a champion.

I'm all for the project to save the elephants. I just have a problem with rich people using tax dodges to get the taxpayer to foot the bill, and then taking worldwide publicity and making deep bows for their "charity."

I always think of the refugees in the world when I see Hollywood stars attending $25,000 per plate political dinners. Somewhere there is a disconnect in their thinking, IMHO.

Not only that but most of it is out of their pocket. If they are paying 40% tax 60% of it is out of their pocket. I have no way of proving it but I believe that when you look at the overhead costs theirs will be far lower than many large charities.

Some of the people supplying the money are doing much of the groundwork them selves.

I am afraid that we are a lot closer to having no elephants than we are from having a shortage of refugees.

Not trying to seem heartless but lets face it. the human population is not in any danger other than becoming to large for the planet.

When all is cut and dried it is the largest problem facing man today.

• Like 1

NeverSure said:

Posted Today, 10:13

xstar_big.png.pagespeed.ic.DVNxbWssSO.we

POPULAR

"And He sat down opposite the treasury, and began observing how the multitude were putting money into the treasury; and many rich people were putting in large sums. And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which amount to a cent. And calling His disciples to Him, He said to them, "This poor widow put in more than all the contributors to the treasury; for they all put in out of their surplus, but she, out of her poverty, put in all she owned, all she had to live on.” Mark 12:41

It's only now that I read a Bible text.

I guess, it is Jesus who said this. May I know your religion?

Not only that but most of it is out of their pocket. If they are paying 40% tax 60% of it is out of their pocket. I have no way of proving it but I believe that when you look at the overhead costs theirs will be far lower than many large charities.

Some of the people supplying the money are doing much of the groundwork them selves.

Please let me explain a little more about US income tax law. If I bought a stock for $1 a share and later it became worth $20 a share, I could donate the shares and write off $20 per share - the value of what I donated to my charitable foundation.

I would avoid paying capital gains on the $19, and instead get a write-off of $20. With capital gains taxes going up to 23.8%, and some states also having high capital gains taxes (California, 13.3%) The cost of giving drops substantially.

In the case of this Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft and the world's richest bachelor, he can also write off a lot of expenses managing that trust. I know he owns an expensive collection of older war type airplanes, but the last time I saw him he arrived in his own Boeing 757. I don't know what he has now, but you know how it works. He fires up a plane and it is going to make a charitable foundation stop.

He also has a separate outfit which manages his charitable trust and that is deductible and likely brings him tax free benefits.

These guys know how to play the game.

• Like 1

I think we can stop talking about the US Tax laws. There are plenty of people who do very little charitable work with their money. I think there was a fair amount of criticism of Steve Jobs on this front. You lived on a farm/ranch, Neversure, as did I and some years, I paid virtually no tax, but I had lots of new shiny toys....all written off because I needed them for the farm.

For the endangered species of the world, it doesn't matter who helps, as long as they receive help and quickly.

Your point, however, has been made and you are correct. You have provided a lot of us with entertainment as we take pot shots at your, which you don't really deserve, so I'll stop with this one. Honest.

• Like 1

Neversure and I have not shared much common ground on a number of topics at TV, and this is yet another one.

I absolutely resent his insinuation that Paul Allen has any selfish financial motives in this research.

Yes, he could have done it anonymously. But, urgent ecological campaigns such as this one to save the African elephant need a high profile figurehead to push the cause along.

"Jesus wept." Gospel of John, chapter 11, verse 35

EDIT: The above biblical quote is irrelevant to my post. I just like the wording.

Edited by Radar501

The plight of elephants in Africa is quite sad overall. Poachers are sometimes using AK-47's and even rpg's. They're also using poison bait and poisoning water holes, which adversely affects all other species going there. Leaky in Kenya, among many others, are trying desperately to help elephants and other species there.

The number 1 consumer of African ivory is China. Philippines and Thailand are numbers 2 and 3. Philippinos use ivory mainly for making Madonna statues (no, not the diva rock star). Poachers are the worst types of humans.

Any useful efforts to lessen the trade in animal parts is mucho appreciarlo. Way to go Paul Allen!

The plight of elephants in Africa is quite sad overall. Poachers are sometimes using AK-47's and even rpg's. They're also using poison bait and poisoning water holes, which adversely affects all other species going there. Leaky in Kenya, among many others, are trying desperately to help elephants and other species there.

The number 1 consumer of African ivory is China. Philippines and Thailand are numbers 2 and 3. Philippinos use ivory mainly for making Madonna statues (no, not the diva rock star). Poachers are the worst types of humans.

Any useful efforts to lessen the trade in animal parts is mucho appreciarlo. Way to go Paul Allen!

Very well said.

It is amazing the lengths some will go to in discrediting a charitable act.

Perhaps it stems from their own inability to help where it is needed.

so they feel the need to discredit those who do. Not all money going to charity is tax deductible. I don't even mention it in my returns as I don't pay that much any how. Last year I got back more than I paid as a result of an honest result of my tax return in Canada, I did not even mention the monthly amount of money automatically coming out of my bank account. It was my Canadian tax forms. I don't file in the states as I don't make enough money there.

• Like 1

Very well said.

so they feel the need to discredit those who do. Not all money going to charity is tax deductible. I don't even mention it in my returns as I don't pay that much any how. Last year I got back more than I paid as a result of an honest result of my tax return in Canada, I did not even mention the monthly amount of money automatically coming out of my bank account. It was my Canadian tax forms. I don't file in the states as I don't make enough money there.

Chippyness is the polar opposite of charitable giving. Some people major in the first, others the latter. Tends to be the second group that actually do something beneficial for this planet, while the former group just whine and winge.

• Like 1

sounds a lot of money , enough to feed 1000 african villages maybe ? , if an elephant is found dead from poachers the money stops , maybe they would care a bit more if it mattered to them . and both would be winners .

Edited by osiboy

Very well said.

Chippyness is the polar opposite of charitable giving. Some people major in the first, others the latter. Tends to be the second group that actually do something beneficial for this planet, while the former group just whine and winge.

Well, considering that this is being allowed to run on.... BTW, what is "chippyness?" Never heard of it and neither has Google, apparently.

I'm all for having a lot of money spent for the elephants. I'm also for severe punishment for those who slaughter them.

I'm opposed to paying for it myself as a taxpayer, while Paul Allen pretends he is paying for it, and taking big worldwide bows and plaudits for it. As Scott mentioned, even owning a business like a ranch allows one to buy expensive toys like new pickups, snowmobiles, 4 wheelers, etc. and deduct them, effectively dodging taxes and putting the burden on other taxpayers.

At Paul Allen's level, It means owning and flying a Boeing 757 with his own pilots at my expense. The average guy who could never afford it has to chip in to help pay for it. I'm just turned off by Paul Allen and other billionaires and multi-millionaires making sure they get plaudits for playing the tax game well.

When Paul Allen's private jet arrives on scene for photo ops, just know that you are paying for it if you're American.

Now, let's hope that the elephant problem actually gets some help from this.