Left my card in ATM - doh!

I have been stupid and left my card in an ATM at the airport. I am pretty sure it was Siam Commercial Bank (the purple one). Went back to the airport next morning (today) once I realised the card was missing. They didn't find the card when they opened the ATM. I'm calling them back tomorrow morning because a supervisor says that there is a chance they are holding it. Today is the King's birthday, so I couldn't speak to the people who hold cards. I know they destroy cards when they get around to it. I have $$$ and my bank can get me a new card in 12 days (including posting to my UK branch then sending here). So it isn't a disaster.

The transaction hasn't yet gone through. But the bank who I used has already authorised the transaction. They are identified by the letters SIG - does anyone know which bank that is?

I also got the Thai Farmers bank people to open their ATMs. Loads of cards, but none of them mine.

What a coincidence! I just started a thread about my experience forgetting my ATM card (again).

I forgot mine two days ago and the machine gobbled it up - or someone took it - but there's more to blocking an ATM card than I thought:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/686795-new-passport-update-your-bank-account/

The problem is often, that the bank doesn't maintain/fill up the ATM machines.

Most if not all banks have subcontracted this job to another company except for the machines located at a bank's branch.

The 3rd party collects all cards that were "swallowed" by the ATM's and returns them to the nearest bank's branch office. That may take a few working-days.

I got the number of Siam Commercial Bank at the airport. They are looking for my card and will give me a buzz this afternoon if they find it (assuming it wasn't already collected and destroyed on the evening of 4th December.) I probably won't be lucky, but I can't turn down the chance of getting my card back. Since they had a holiday on 5th there is always a chacne it is hanging around.

I am with HSBC, who already closed all their branches here in Thailand. Otherwise I'd be able to get help as one of their "premiere" customers. HSBC have gone down hill in the last couple of years.

I left my card in an ATM a few years ago in Phra Khanong. As I could not be sure if the machine ate it or someone grabbed it, I called my bank and cancelled it, and ordered a new card.

I am not sure about the comments about cancelling an ATM card being difficult. I took me one quick phone call.

Getting the new card to me in Thailand was a bit more difficult. My bank would not send it here, no way. I ended up sending it to my home address in USA and having a friend retrieve it and send it on to me here.

I was able to put a temporary block on the card which I can reverse it I get hold of it. Speaking to my bank, the procedure for getting it here was to get it sent to a branch then forwarded from there to Thailand. They wouldn't send it direct. This is all theory. My experience is that sometimes in banking, where there are a chain of actions, some part of the chain finds a problem.

I left my card at an ATM at Don Muang some years ago and while I was being happily re-united with my family one of the airport staff approached holding the card in front of her with a look of reproach that I shall never forget...and I felt relieved and chastised at the same time which is a pretty weird combination of emotions...

the niece was still a little girl and had squealed with delight and had hurled herself into my arms and here comes the airport staff woman with the card with 'the look' that said everything: 'you should be more careful, 'sir'...' and I wanted to go down on bended knees with gratitude and remorse but I didn't want to embarrass the family or confuse the niece...

and I have been extra careful since then...at least the airport staff woman didn't wag her finger at me....

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I used to do this a few times a month. It takes a while to get used to the fact that ATM's here spit out your money first, instead of your card. It is so easy to grab your money and simply walk away. Normally your card pops out after you walk away, and if it does not get pulled out of the machine within a certain amount of time, the machines pulls it back in again and gets sent back to the nearest main branch.

I was able to put a temporary block on the card which I can reverse it I get hold of it. Speaking to my bank, the procedure for getting it here was to get it sent to a branch then forwarded from there to Thailand. They wouldn't send it direct. This is all theory. My experience is that sometimes in banking, where there are a chain of actions, some part of the chain finds a problem.

True enough, and the more steps, the more room for error.

It takes a while to get used to the fact that ATM's here spit out your money first, instead of your card. It is so easy to grab your money and simply walk away.

Yes, it's a real problem with ATMS here. Much prefer the other way whereby you get to keep your card and then forget to pick-up your cash (or at least, the person in front of you does) rolleyes.gif

I got the number of Siam Commercial Bank at the airport. They are looking for my card and will give me a buzz this afternoon if they find it (assuming it wasn't already collected and destroyed on the evening of 4th December.) I probably won't be lucky, but I can't turn down the chance of getting my card back. Since they had a holiday on 5th there is always a chacne it is hanging around.

I am with HSBC, who already closed all their branches here in Thailand. Otherwise I'd be able to get help as one of their "premiere" customers. HSBC have gone down hill in the last couple of years.

HSBC have not closed all their branches in Thailand. They are still in the same building on Rama 4 that they have always been.