New Passport? Update Your Bank Account!

I left my Krung Thai ATM card in the machine, again. Went back to the bank where the machine was and they couldn't open it up until the next day.

So I wanted to block the card. But I didn't have my account number or passbook, just an ATM receipt which doesn't show the complete number.

I gave them my name, but they couldn't find it on the computer because it is an English name (blink.png)

I showed them my passport but the search for the number didn't work either because the passport is new and the account had the old number in it.

So I went home to get my old and new passports and my bank passbook and then went to my bank's local branch. They blocked the ATM card after finding my account and they gave me a new ATM card - 50 baht.

But the local branch couldn't update my account details with the new passport number. I had to go to the main branch where the account was opened.

At the main branch she updated the passport number on the computer and also swiped my passbook a couple of times to update the data on the magnetic strip. That was so that I could update the passbook in the update machines.

So when you get a new passport, you get a new ID number - check with your bank whether they need to update your account data. They certainly do at Krung Thai rolleyes.gif .

Does the same apply to motorcycle and car driving licences I wonder. They both have your passport number on them.

Good question. Fortunately, my licenses have my current passport number on them as they were renewed recently.

But they do have my old address.

As do the registration books of my bike and car.

Oh dear, where will it all end? biggrin.png

Of course all that hassle would have been avoided if you simply had your passbook or a copy of your ATM card or your account number.

I think a person has to be responsible for a little care when doing something as important as banking, especially in a foreign country!