3 weeks in Chiang Mai – Friends, Map/GPS, Land

Diddl

Had a wonderful day today. I am now the proud owner of a studio condo so at least I have somewhere to crash out. What a wonderful welcome I got at the land registration office. Met the owner and his wife, Thais, and have made friends, and they live right next door so offered to help me whenever needed. Also, the lady who owns a laundry shop in the building of the condo appeared at the land registration office to welcome me – How is that for Thai hospitality and kindness! I have never been treated like this before.

After the signing and registration, I went to Gecko’s as suggested on this site and bought a load of maps, some for town, some for northern Thailand, and some for overall Thailand. They really help so thank you guys and gals for all your valuable information given as to maps I should buy, I appreciate it. After that, I perused the maps at the “Art Café”, a really nice place, and had a delicious ice cream. Will go back there for a meal one day to try it out.

Meeting a few farangs as you call them this week so that will complete the picture for the week. Soon to rent a car also so that I can go further afield and explore more Thai life.

Again, thank you everyone for all the info and advice you have given. I have certainly been thinking about all you have said, positive and negative.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Diddl to Northern Thailand,

You have gotten some good advice here on T.V.F. and there are some of us far from the city in the mountains to the west-up high where it is much cooler- who appreciate the locals. My wife and I have a good sized farm and have a local and his wife work for us. There is no smog and little crime here. We don't yet have WIFI but just got 3G so I don't know of any radio signals which require tin foil on the head to keep the alians out. We mostly grow organic fruits, veggies and berries. This year we added grapes bought from the local King's Agricultural Project.

Our GPS works great. Got it in the USA and bought updated sofeware at Pantip.

Takes about 2 hours to drive here but as we age we think closer to the city and medical help is a good idea. So, we will move closer.

For Thai Lanna homes with up to 250 sq. wah, check out south of the city on the Irrigation Road.

Good luck to you

Had a wonderful day today. I am now the proud owner of a studio condo so at least I have somewhere to crash out.

I hope by "owner" you mean you are renting and haven't bought a condo so quickly.

Yeah, seriously. I mean, I guess when you gotta own, you gotta own. How many veteran expat posts were of the *don't rush*... *things change*... *be careful...* *take a year or two*... *rent is cheap*... *no downside to renting*... variety? Then bing-bada-bang: spontaneous purchase. Anyway, best of luck, OP. Be careful out there.

• Like 2

Hello to the non-purchase,or not-immediately purchase commentators. I decided to purchase the property I just purchased before joining ThaiVisa and, in any case, I still think it was a good idea for me. Firstly, it will save me money on hotels, rent, eating out all the time, etc. Secondly, if I buy a place miles away in the north in the future and I come to Chiang Mai and it is late at night, I can always crash out in my condo and drive home the next morning. Another advantage, as I see it, is that I can always rent it out if I need money or let friends use it.

Keeping money in the bank is not a good idea anymore. Have you not heard what happened in Cyprus 2-3 months ago where banks closed their doors and took the savings of customers as a “bail-in”. The EU has also agreed to this for all member states, I think Canada is allowing this also, and the US is also talking about implementing this crime. This will go global and will affect Asia no doubt. I think it is best for me to invest in property rather than to let the banks take my money away because they are going supposedly bankrupt. Don’t forget also that in the West they are talking about stopping pensions because the money has been badly invested and supposedly lost – they say there is not enough money to give the aging population – so what will you do when the banks take your money and a pension is no longer provided? - How will you pay your rent?

I am not a frivolous person, I do think about what I am doing, and life is always a risk since we are born. I am not a stupid female who does things in a hurry. I came to CM for a few weeks to study my idea in May this year and decided it was a good idea. I will not be homeless if my money runs out because no owner will throw me out of a rented property when I own my property.

There are good points and there are bad points to buying property and, as far as I am concerned, the good points outweigh the bad. I don’t trust the banks anymore and I am looking further ahead because of what is happening globally. In any case, how can you ever enjoy and live life when you are fearful all the time, fearful to do what you really want. Life is all about learning and not sitting at home fearful of living and trusting yourself and others. I had a bad experience In south India, I have learnt from it, and now it is time for me to make a new beginning. Thailand is my beginning, I am really enjoying CM and the people, so why should I think negatively about anything here when it has not affected me in a negative way – if and when it does, I will deal with it as an adult, that is what life is all about is it not!. I don’t expect paradise but Thailand is the next best thing to paradise from the countries I have seen.

As always, thank you for your advice whether positive or negative, I certainly read and think about them, but I am not a child anymore and I make up my own mind by weighing up the pros and cons for my particular situation. To be quite honest, I would hate to be negative all the time because I would never have friends or do anything in life, instead I would just sit at home in front of the square box and vegetate.

Hello to the non-purchase,or not-immediately purchase commentators. I decided to purchase the property I just purchased before joining ThaiVisa and, in any case, I still think it was a good idea for me. Firstly, it will save me money on hotels, rent, eating out all the time, etc. Secondly, if I buy a place miles away in the north in the future and I come to Chiang Mai and it is late at night, I can always crash out in my condo and drive home the next morning. Another advantage, as I see it, is that I can always rent it out if I need money or let friends use it.

Keeping money in the bank is not a good idea anymore. Have you not heard what happened in Cyprus 2-3 months ago where banks closed their doors and took the savings of customers as a bail-in. The EU has also agreed to this for all member states, I think Canada is allowing this also, and the US is also talking about implementing this crime. This will go global and will affect Asia no doubt. I think it is best for me to invest in property rather than to let the banks take my money away because they are going supposedly bankrupt. Dont forget also that in the West they are talking about stopping pensions because the money has been badly invested and supposedly lost they say there is not enough money to give the aging population so what will you do when the banks take your money and a pension is no longer provided? - How will you pay your rent?

I am not a frivolous person, I do think about what I am doing, and life is always a risk since we are born. I am not a stupid female who does things in a hurry. I came to CM for a few weeks to study my idea in May this year and decided it was a good idea. I will not be homeless if my money runs out because no owner will throw me out of a rented property when I own my property.

There are good points and there are bad points to buying property and, as far as I am concerned, the good points outweigh the bad. I dont trust the banks anymore and I am looking further ahead because of what is happening globally. In any case, how can you ever enjoy and live life when you are fearful all the time, fearful to do what you really want. Life is all about learning and not sitting at home fearful of living and trusting yourself and others. I had a bad experience In south India, I have learnt from it, and now it is time for me to make a new beginning. Thailand is my beginning, I am really enjoying CM and the people, so why should I think negatively about anything here when it has not affected me in a negative way if and when it does, I will deal with it as an adult, that is what life is all about is it not!. I dont expect paradise but Thailand is the next best thing to paradise from the countries I have seen.

As always, thank you for your advice whether positive or negative, I certainly read and think about them, but I am not a child anymore and I make up my own mind by weighing up the pros and cons for my particular situation. To be quite honest, I would hate to be negative all the time because I would never have friends or do anything in life, instead I would just sit at home in front of the square box and vegetate.

If you can afford a home in the north and a condo in town. Go for it!! I would. You know your specific situation. And there are always exceptions to general rules. Just do your due diligence. I hope you have purchased a condo that you enjoy while you look for your dream home up north. Peace.

Something ain't Kosher here.

Maybe "kosher" is not quire the word I would choose. But if OP is sincere then... I wish her well.

OP, if you are still tracking, I respectfully suggest you seek some very serious, very honest, very fiduciary financial consultation. In other words: A smart, rational (Western) expert who is not going to tell you what you want to hear, but what you need to hear and know.

You received some very well intentioned, very savvy advise in the course of this post. And the better, the most insightful and most cautionary of that advise was coming from intelligent, rational, old-hand expats in Thailand. These guys know what they are talking about. The idea that a *newbie* (pls excuse expression) buying condos and other property in Thailand is a stable and value-building course of investment, given longstanding conditions and breaking events (not to mention cultural *tendencies* in dealing with farang), as opposed to keeping those liquid assets in a safe place (country -- maybe Singapore) is a stable and value-building route... well. No.

Again, take care of yourself.

• Like 1

I read a day or two ago that there were demonstrations and/or uprisings in Singapore. Am I dreaming?

Uhhh... That's a blip. First unrest since 1969. Pretty sure a few hundred Indians unhappy with 2nd-class citizen status are not going to bring down the government and banking industry of one of the most stable nations on the planet. I am now going to bow out. But if want to know more about Singapore, read this: http://www.heritage.org/index/country/singapore

Maybe "kosher" is not quire the word I would choose. But if OP is sincere then... I wish her well.

OP, if you are still tracking, I respectfully suggest you seek some very serious, very honest, very fiduciary financial consultation. In other words: A smart, rational (Western) expert who is not going to tell you what you want to hear, but what you need to hear and know.

You received some very well intentioned, very savvy advise in the course of this post. And the better, the most insightful and most cautionary of that advise was coming from intelligent, rational, old-hand expats in Thailand. These guys know what they are talking about. The idea that a *newbie* (pls excuse expression) buying condos and other property in Thailand is a stable and value-building course of investment, given longstanding conditions and breaking events (not to mention cultural *tendencies* in dealing with farang), as opposed to keeping those liquid assets in a safe place (country -- maybe Singapore) is a stable and value-building route... well. No.

We really don't know the OP's financial situation. Maybe she has money to burn. I personally think she is moving way too fast. She kind of reminds of my friend. He too felt that if someone gave him advice that challenged his own preset opinion that they were being negative. The OP was on a mission to buy...... Mission accomplished. The rest is rationalizations.

We really don't know the OP's financial situation. Maybe she has money to burn. I personally think she is moving way too fast. She kind of reminds of my friend. He too felt that if someone gave him advice that challenged his own preset opinion that they were being negative. The OP was on a mission to buy...... Mission accomplished. The rest is rationalizations.
why does buying an apartment constitute "money to burn". I think that she is actually a visionary and see enormous growth in Chiang mai. I'm mildly amused by oracles like yourself who has a complicated relationship with the truth. Move aside and let her do what you can't

Hi, I am Thai People

1. Just stay in CM for a year, you will have a friends for sure.

2. Go to True shop, buy some smart phone with 3G package, every Thai people use map from cell phone, no one buy GPS

3. Sorry, you cannot buy land until you marrie with Thai guy and get Thai citizen. "Sop Por Gor" not "Sor Tor Gor" is not for sale to every one. Our Gov' create special license for Farmer who has no land to make plant, be careful the agent cheat you. However, you can buy condominium instead.

or even better, just rent and keep your money in the bank for emergencies, fun, travel, new car. Rent a very nice condo and have the flexibility to move when you want. No headaches.

Bottom line: I would find a really nice place to rent for a year. Someplace I know I will enjoy. Chill out and enjoy myself. Get to know a few people and the lay of the land. BUT MOST OF ALL ENJOY TODAY! Today is the only day you have. It's nice to have plans and schemes but don't lose your ability to relax and enjoy right now. And I wouldn't rush into to trying to find the "perfect" place to buy so I can THEN finally be happy and enjoy life in Thailand. I would remember to enjoy the journey a little and find a really enjoyable rental for the interim. When I first came I took a month with a Tuk Tuk driver (that I continue to use and that speaks great English) to looked around. I am glad I did. Some property manager will pick you up but it is nice to have you own "wheels" and meet them . I found a great place in a Land and House Park and I just signed my second year lease. This works for me and is what I want. I have a Koi pond and garden and patio and off street parking in an excellently maintained neighborhood. One necessity to look for is a property manager/owner that speaks good English. You need to be able to communicate clearly with them. I am twenty minutes from Downtown CM. My property manager is w/ Chiang Mai House and is a Thai with American citizenship and married to a Farlang. I have amazingly had no complaints about her. PM me if you want her #. She speaks perfect English and she has been a blessing.

Finally, I came around the same time with a friend. He didn't look around enough and settled on a Condo on Neimenheimen. Lets just say.... CONDO FROM HELL. Awful place big monstrosity and too TOO many people (for my and evidently his taste) and bad vibes. Look around and get something you can really relax in and that is within your budget and your charactor. I can actually say my living arrangement is really nice and very affordable and I am happy.

Gosh you are a philosopher as well as as an oracle, financial manager, historian. Is there no end to your advice and misdirection.

Gosh you are a philosopher as well as as an oracle, financial manager, historian. Is there no end to your advice and misdirection.

Put up or shut up? Where is the misdirection? The advice was requested and I am a philosopher. But the rest of the "titles" are groundless as i made no predictions and gave no financial advice and the only history i gave is my own.

You have no substance to your statement of misdirection. If you do..... then bring it openly to this public forum so that we all can benefit. Be specific.

All I heard from you are snide remarks and innuendo. Sounds to me like the words of the typical TV troll that hates his life. Yours is the misdirection and misery loves company.

Edited by DeeMockMark

Put up or shut up? Where is the misdirection? The advice was requested and I am a philosopher. But the rest of the "titles" are groundless as i made no predictions and gave no financial advice and the only history i gave is my own.

You have no substance to your statement of misdirection. If you do..... then bring it openly to this public forum so that we all can benefit. Be specific.

All I heard from you are snide remarks and innuendo. Sounds to me like the words of the typical TV troll that hates his life. Yours is the misdirection and misery loves company.

Gosh a real philosopher like Plato or Socrates how lucky we are to have your guidance and wisdom

Gosh a real philosopher like Plato or Socrates how lucky we are to have your guidance and wisdom
No not like Plato or Socrates. Like many regular people. I have not met a person that didn't have a philosophy of life even if they didnt realize it. Even if I thought it was idiotic. It was there. To some degree or another we are all trying to figure things out.

Competition and one-up-manship permeates your statements. The ego driven see ego driving everyone.

Still no substance to your statement about misdirection. Put up or shut up!

Edited by DeeMockMark

There is a lot of bad advice being given here. There are a number of posts encouraging this lady to break the law.

Sounds like you are being set up for extortion. I can't imagine the number of PM's by slippery, dodgy farangs this poor, naive woman is receiving. OP ignore anyone who is offering to sell you real property. You can't buy it regardless of what anyone is telling you. Some of the shadiest farangs on earth are here in Thailand. Watch yourself!

• Like 2