Nelson Mandela - Dies at 95

David48

Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95

obit_frame_Nelson_Mandela_1918_2013_16x9

Nelson Mandela, the former South African president whose stubborn defiance survived 27 years in prison and led to the dismantling of the country's racist and brutal apartheid system, has died. Mandela was 95 years old.

Mandela had a number of issues with his health in recent years including repeated hospitalizations with a chronic lung infection.

Mandela had been listed in "serious but stable condition" after entering the hospital in June.

In April, Mandela spent 18 days in the hospital due to a lung infection and was treated for gall stones in December 2012.

Mandela's public appearances had become increasingly rare as he dealt with his declining health.

His last public appearance was in July of 2010, when he attended the final match and closing ceremonies of the soccer World Cup held in South Africa.

Source: abc NEWS

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies in Johannesburg

South Africa's first black president and anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela has died, South Africa's president says.

Mr Mandela, 95, led South Africa's transition from white-minority rule in the 1990s, after 27 years in prison.

He had been receiving intense home-based medical care for a lung infection after three months in hospital.

In a statement on South African national TV, Mr Zuma said Mr Mandela had "departed" and was at peace.

South Africa's first black president and anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela has died, South Africa's president says.

Mr Mandela, 95, led South Africa's transition from white-minority rule in the 1990s, after 27 years in prison.

He had been receiving intense home-based medical care for a lung infection after three months in hospital.

In a statement on South African national TV, Mr Zuma said Mr Mandela had "departed" and was at peace.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25249520

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2013-12-06

The real legacy of this man is that, notwithstanding all he went through at the hands of a brutal regime, which he took up arms against, when he was given the chance his main emphasis was reconciliation and moving on, traits which few people expected. S.Africa could so easily have sunk into recrimination and payback. While in many ways not perfect today at least his country is on the bumpy path to a better future. Hopefully his heirs do a better job of achieving this aim than some of the recent political leaders.

• Like 2

His greatest accomplishment was reconciliation during the transition from the white regime to the black regime. He prevented the country from going down the Zimbabwa road.

It's a shame he only stayed in power for 5 years as SA could be in a much better place now if he had stayed longer.

• Like 1

A very good man who made a positive difference in the world we all live in.

It's a shame that battles like the one he fought still need to be fought in today's world.

Now tell me, is looking at his death certificate as good as looking at his birth certificate?

Oh, sorry!

That's the other guy who's trying to help people, isn't it?

But there is still massive race issues / segregation and tension between the white SA's, blacks & coloureds so one may ask, what did he actually achieve....

Was it worth 27 years in prison, many would think not.

• Like 1

RIP Nelson you were truly a great man.

I was on the same fog delayed flight as Nelson in 1991 from Joburg to Cape Town.

I bucked up the courage and approached him and asked him for his autograph which he happily gave me although he was surprised that anyone would want his autograph.

He was on his way to Cape Town to meet then President De Klerk but he still managed to spare 5 minutes to chat with me about my family who lived in South Africa.

My abiding memory will be how tall and proud he stood unbowed by his years in prison.

Very lucky...one of the few people I would loved to have met.

and Angelina Jolie of course.