Socket Am2 - Help

rio666uk

Im building a new gaming PC -

Ive bought all the bits that are generic - hard drives, optical drives, case & power (power i will prob need to change if i opted for the new socket)

Im now at a crossroads - I was going to opt for the Athlon64 4000+ single core on an Asus SLI mainboard... however Im now wondering if it would be wiser to wait for AMD's new M2 socket generation of CPU's..

I think its safe to hangon till theyve been released - this will then hopefully make my choice easier - i would guess then that all 939 chips n boards will drop considerably in price... and probably become obsolete in another 12-18months anyway

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

If you wait, there will always be something better and cheaper. Keep waiting, and you'll never buy anything. Of course, it's up to you whether it's now the time to buy.

For the AM2, there are no boards and CPUs being sold as yet. This means that it will be at least a few months before you can buy anything in Thailand. If you're prepared to wait that long, then go for it. I doubt that the 939 socket will be obselete in just a year... the user base is too big, and the newer socket isn't even out yet.

Gaming PCs typically have powerful CPUs and graphics card that need more juice than the typical 500-baht deal. You'll probably get away with a name-brand 450-watt PSU, but be safer with a 500+watt PSU.

Personally, I would go for an Intel system with the new "core" 65nm dual-core processors. They just started selling here, and the price is nice... 8,000 for a 3Ghz dual core CPU.