Are big bikes allowed in the expressways ?

jamilsiddique

I'll be moving to BKK soon and plan to do a lot or riding. I always thought big bikes or any bikes are not allowed on the elevated expressway till roads and also underneath them. But recently I have seen a few big bikes . Have the rules changed recently ? Are big bikes allowed on now ?

Cheers

No they are not, nothing has changed.

Before you enter the expressway, have a quick look on your LH side and you will see clearly sign posted, ham keun sappan, along with noodle carts etc are listed motorbikes.

Forgot to mention, the other day I was driving (in my car) on an expressway, the police were out pulling over all motorcycles, best stick to underneath these roads and follow the signs.

Edited by rgs2001uk
  • Like 1

You can't ride on elevated bridges that have the big signs not allowing bikes or carts. But it depends on the days of the month and time if there will be check points.

Rama 9 elevated bridge is allowed as far as I know. Elevated Ramkhamhaeng is not allowed and there are sometimes some police there. I've been stopped once and had to pay a 400 Baht fine at the police station.

Petchaburi/Pathanakan bridge over Ram., also does not allow, but I have never seen police in there.

A few times I have seen a check point right after the bridge in Petchaburi/Asoke intersection. the police stopped me and only said I should not take the bridge, maybe he liked my face and tell me to just go... :D

So best thing to do is not to take the the bridges that have the very big sign saying no motorcycles, specially the long ones. At night time or early morning should be no problem.

I've heard that before school opens from holidays, the cops will go crazy to get money to pay kids, so, checkpoints everywhere.

All of the above. From my observations any overpass that is narrow and has only two lanes is a no no. If they have a small third lane then OK. When in doubt follow the locals.

Following the locals got me pinched once. By the time I saw the sign was already committed to the underpass and the BiB were pulling everyone over on the other side.

Expressways are no no.

Passing from underpasses and overpasses are semi legal here.

Rush hours and lunch no problems. Be careful between 10 to 12 and 2 to 4 though.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1