Turned 50s, and will apply for retirement visa.

paz

You do not have to report every movement - that would be ridiculous. You need to have a "main base" address which you can report by post every 90 days regardless of where you wander off to for a week or so.

Many places will not accept the 90 day by mail. Also by law you have to report if you stay in a location over 24 hours. By rights you have to report back to immigration when you return from a trip to another district. Hotels report and some individuals have been fined for not doing so.

I don't want to be accused of hi-jacking this thread, but a link to the immigration rule about 24 hour reporting would be useful smile.png

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=alienstay

That appears to be the rules for hotel, etc owners to report foreigners staying in their hotel or guesthouse within 24 hours. I see nothing on that page which tells me I must report anything. smile.png

That appears to be the rules for hotel, etc owners to report foreigners staying in their hotel or guesthouse within 24 hours. I see nothing on that page which tells me I must report anything. smile.png

No but your landlord or friend who you are staying with must. OK it is they that are fined. In order to do that you must supply them with the passport details etc they need for the report. It is not limited to hotels and guesthouses and applies to all. There are somewhat easier procedures such as web reporting for businesses that private reporting does not have access to.

No but your landlord or friend who you are staying with must. OK it is they that are fined. In order to do that you must supply them with the passport details etc they need for the report. It is not limited to hotels and guesthouses and applies to all. There are somewhat easier procedures such as web reporting for businesses that private reporting does not have access to.

Up to them - they risk the fine and it has no bearing on the discussion about reporting requirements while on a retirement extension :)

Retirement visa is a good option if you plan extended stays in LOS and don't want to make border runs, 90 day reports can be made at any imm. office giving your current address, hotel or GH, if out of the country not an issue. the 90 day count starts at return to LOS.... if you never plan to stay more than a double entry tourist visa, it is pointless, by the way, I have heard land border crossings have returned to the old 30 day stamp ! with I think a limit of 4.

Edited by daoyai

Harry, that regulation you site is another one of the many Thai laws that are on record, but never followed. If they were followed the whole recording system would be so swamped no one would know what to do with the information. In my district the local police station probably would not know what I was talking about, and even if they did the paperwork would probably go directly into the trash bin.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Retirement visa is a good option if you plan extended stays in LOS and don't want to make border runs, 90 day reports can be made at any imm. office giving your current address, hotel or GH, if out of the country not an issue. the 90 day count starts at return to LOS.... if you never plan to stay more than a double entry tourist visa, it is pointless, by the way, I have heard land border crossings have returned to the old 30 day stamp ! with I think a limit of 4.

A double entry tourist visa with extensions would do for me because I go out of Thailand at least twice a year to see family and friends, but I did the maths -- it's cheaper to use an O visa with extensions based retirement using the income method. Plus - I don't have to hazard the visa runs and sometimes fickle consulates and border immigration officers. ;)

I have been in Thailand for 13 years traveled all over stayed at family's residence's and never reported anything other than my 90 day report form, mostly by mail but also in person, my daughter would take my address form into immigration, now they charge a 100 baht fee if I send my report with a family member and not go in person.

Hotels as well as any other places that offer paid lodging to foreigners must report a foreigner is renting a room from them with in 24 hours of their registration.

None of our family members have ever report our stay to immigration or the police, much less facing penalties for not reporting us as staying at their residence. Never!

Cheers

I have been in Thailand for 13 years traveled all over stayed at family's residence's and never reported anything other than my 90 day report form, mostly by mail but also in person, my daughter would take my address form into immigration, now they charge a 100 baht fee if I send my report with a family member and not go in person.

Hotels as well as any other places that offer paid lodging to foreigners must report a foreigner is renting a room from them with in 24 hours of their registration.

None of our family members have ever report our stay to immigration or the police, much less facing penalties for not reporting us as staying at their residence. Never!

Cheers

Just as your location charges your daughter 100baht tea money and others do not you cannot assume others do not. I know of at least one person fined who owns his own condo in a location other than his home and did not report when he stayed there as the house owner and I know of a couple of people who live in their wives houses where the wife has been fined for not reportng when he returned from a trip.

Yes it is a little off the original topic but these are examples of what people on retirement visas may experience. So far though they have sometimes been irksome I have put up with them but if it was not for family and health I would be more likely to circulate between Malasia, Indonesia Thailand and Laos and possibly India and for this tourist visas would probably be satisfactory.

• Like 1

Kikoman, the easyness with wich you identify people that you don't know into rough categories of pre-determined morality only show your need to resolve yourself better before exercising judgment by proxy.

Cheers to the other that have spoken without preconceptions and bitterness.

And the guy that gets retirement extensions without having money in the bank is welcome to write about in the visa forum, to me that us just a detail of a system that I refuse in full.

Dear Paz, I and I am sure many on here could give less of hoot whether you do not wish to

apply for a visa extension on the grounds of retirement or for that matter why bother coming

to Thailand at all if it such a chore.

On the grounds that you have not ever applied for such an extension I would venture to say

you have not got the foggiest idea what you are talking about, if you had actually taken the

time to look into such an application you would very clearly be aware that there is not much

more involved than when you arrive at the airport and complete the immigration form for entry

into Thailand, no bowing or scraping required. jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif

• Like 2

Dear Paz, I and I am sure many on here could give less of hoot whether you do not wish to

apply for a visa extension on the grounds of retirement or for that matter why bother coming

to Thailand at all if it such a chore.

On the grounds that you have not ever applied for such an extension I would venture to say

you have not got the foggiest idea what you are talking about, if you had actually taken the

time to look into such an application you would very clearly be aware that there is not much

more involved than when you arrive at the airport and complete the immigration form for entry

into Thailand, no bowing or scraping required. jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif

Dear phuket joke, to each one his own. I remaint content with my lifestyle and the agreement on it that I've received here, and leave you to the joyful practice of certified copies of everything, merry waiting room stays, purchase of re-entry and go-toilet permits, all with the wonderful care of civil servants that have a job because of you, even if would not seem so, for years and years. Enjoy!

Edited by paz

Harry believe what you chose,

I for one have never had any problem of having to report any address to immigration other than my 90 day address of my residence in Thailand, Having had a total of 8 address changes in Pattaya, Satahip. Kilo Tip and lived with my in-laws in Lat Yao, until we finished building my house and moved into it 8 years ago.

I have crossed the border to all neighboring countries on numerous visa runs and visited the states at least 8 times, no one ever reported anything to the immigration office, other than the requirement to get a reentry permit from immigration and the hotels I stayed at, I would imagine they have to!

I know there is no 24 hrs notice requirement enforced on where a expat lives other than his formal residential address, and if you change places of residence then you must report your new permanent address to immigration, I have had a retirement visa for 10 years!

Cheers

Cheers

Just as your location charges your daughter 100baht tea money and others do not you cannot assume others do not. I know of at least one person fined who owns his own condo in a location other than his home and did not report when he stayed there as the house owner and I know of a couple of people who live in their wives houses where the wife has been fined for not reportng when he returned from a trip.

Yes it is a little off the original topic but these are examples of what people on retirement visas may experience. So far though they have sometimes been irksome I have put up with them but if it was not for family and health I would be more likely to circulate between Malasia, Indonesia Thailand and Laos and possibly India and for this tourist visas would probably be satisfactory.

Do you really expect anyone who lives in Thailand to believe the stories about wives getting fined?

• Like 1

I will not exercise the subservient dedication to produce the paperwork and will not lock up funds into a fixed rate account of questionable profitability in this country.

Hey everyone is free to choose what is acceptable to them paper work wise.

I know when I closed up shop in the US & moved here I was was no longer stuck with

"subservient dedication to produce the paperwork".

Compared to there a once a year visa extension form & a simple 90 day form is a cake walk.

In fact even though I live here now for years the hardest papers I file are the ones still required of me

by the Land Of The Free = IRS & FBAR.

On the funds thing they do not need to be in a fixed rate & even a non fixed is paying me 2.65% here

Compared to the 0.25% or less back in the USA I have literally made a killing in interest here in a year compared

to dollars in the US for the same amount in a savings.

But Happy Birthday & that is the best thing about being a grown up!

You can live your life how you choose.....all of us can wink.png

Edited by meechai

I really hate when I hear fellow foreigners going on and on about how disgraceful it is that they have to do border runs and then wax lyrical about the freedoms they enjoy back home, every country in the world has immigration laws regarding tourism including their own.

IF you feel a sense of relief getting back home from Thailand I would have to question WHY do you visit Thailand and why do you have over 5,000 posts on a forum about Thailand?

And since when is getting a visa bowing down to anyone? It's just basic bloody immigration law, if you don't fancy the retirement visa then get yourself a double entry tourist visa and stop moaning, what an odd thread

• Like 1

I really hate when I hear fellow foreigners going on and on about how disgraceful it is that they have to do border runs and then wax lyrical about the freedoms they enjoy back home, every country in the world has immigration laws regarding tourism including their own.

I read this post as confusion to the max. Of course every country has a right to immigration rules, and Thailand is a lot easier than my home country. But when I'm in my home country I'm a citizen and don't have to report to anyone, do any border runs, or get anyone's permission.

Freedoms? I just said it. I own my own land, could work without a permit, don't report, don't pay for the right and on and on.

(I have other freedoms that many Europeans and Canadians don't like to hear about, too.)

IF you feel a sense of relief getting back home from Thailand I would have to question WHY do you visit Thailand and why do you have over 5,000 posts on a forum about Thailand?

I visit Thailand for a change of pace and for the women. Period. I would not want to make it my home. I feel a sense of relief because I don't trust the corrupt police or courts. I don't trust that I would be treated lawfully or fairly if I had a vehicle accident. Thais drive like idiots. It is a pleasure to drive home from the airport in my country. What a difference. I go to my home which I own, including my land. I don't have to worry about a lot of things I have to be careful of in Thailand.

Is someone blind to the corruption in the system in Thailand, or to his lack of rights?

And since when is getting a visa bowing down to anyone? It's just basic bloody immigration law, if you don't fancy the retirement visa then get yourself a double entry tourist visa and stop moaning, what an odd thread

I didn't moan. I simply stated that I wouldn't give up my residence in my home country and I do get tourist visas.

Um .. it's not compulsory to apply for a retirement visa when you turn 50....

Simon (> 50 years old, living in Thailand since 2002, no retirement visa, no investment visa, not married, not working, but legally staying here!)

That's strange, I thought you had been married at least 2 times, ran 2 or 3 hotels, worked as software developer and teacher at several locations, so after all maybe your last statement was also not true.

Edited by PeterSmiles

I have other freedoms that many Europeans and Canadians don't like to hear about, too.

Is someone blind to the corruption in the system in Thailand, or to his lack of rights?

I always smile because being an expat from the USA & knowing well what "other freedoms" your speaking

of I have to say it is the biggest pacifier around.

Because for all the bravado of owning such tools they never get used to protect your rights as your rights are striped from you

daily. Even in an emergency like Katrina the military went thru town & grabbed then destroys such freedoms.

It is like a sick joke similar to "Trading Places" with Eddie Murphy & Dan Aykroyd

It is like TPTB made a $1 bet that they could allow all the US citizens to own such things &

then strip them of all their others rights while letting them think they had the ultimate right.

They also bet that right would never be used against their wrongs & they are winning big time.

Is someone blind to the corruption in the system in the USA or their constantly

diminishing list of rights?

YES! sadly they are as they cling to their pacifiers saying "yeah... yeah someday we are going to show you".

But for all the "pry it from my cold dead hands" rhetoric the truth is they sit on the couch watching American Idol

as their privacy evaporates & their taxes climb. Own land & house?? heheh yeah right. Pay off your mortgage all

you like. But later when you think your free & clear try missing a year or two of the escalating property taxes you will always

need to pay & as they rise each year & your earning power drops there will be a line to cross.

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1

OP;

You should be happy, not riding the proverbial high horse over those of us who don't have your Herculean restraint. I have 4 1/2 months left to serve in the life of a wage slave, and from that point forward I'll never be more than an hour's flight from BKK - I wouldn't have it any other way. I'd suggest that it's time to count your blessings and spare a thought for those of us who have had to make sacrifices to be able to retire in SEA.

• Like 2

OP;

You should be happy, not riding the proverbial high horse over those of us who don't have your Herculean restraint. I have 4 1/2 months left to serve in the life of a wage slave, and from that point forward I'll never be more than an hour's flight from BKK - I wouldn't have it any other way. I'd suggest that it's time to count your blessings and spare a thought for those of us who have had to make sacrifices to be able to retire in SEA.  

I did not wanted to imply any disrespect for workers or anyone, I've worked myself startin 17 yrs old but due to a variety of reasons I will have no pension.

OP;

Congrats MrWorldWide! I have 7 1/2 months left myself.

clap2.gif

@KhunG, I dont know about you, but I find the countdown a bitch - anticipation mixed with a sense of 'are we there yet ?'. The combination makes it hard to read threads where folks are clearly frustrated with aspects of life in Asia when you and I cant wait to get on the plane. So near and yet so bloody far ;)

Good luck with your retirement.

@KhunG, I dont know about you, but I find the countdown a bitch - anticipation mixed with a sense of 'are we there yet ?'. The combination makes it hard to read threads where folks are clearly frustrated with aspects of life in Asia when you and I cant wait to get on the plane. So near and yet so bloody far wink.png

Good luck with your retirement.

Happy retirement to both of you and I can tell you from experience Thailand or indeed SEA is a

great place to retire to.

@paz guess you are not that clever if you are looking at retirement with no pension sad. smile.png

@paz guess you are not that clever if you are looking at retirement with no pension sad.  Posted Image

Guess you need to read again posting. I never said i'm retiring, and no pension doesn't necessarily mean having no money.