Where Do I Go For Sound Advice

whistling.gif It's not that difficult to get a single entry visa ..... you don't say waht country your from, but I'll just assume it's the U.k. (they seem to be the majority in those who don't know how to get visas from a thai consulate, so i'll assume you are a Brit).

Unless you have a criminal record (which you probably don't or you wouldn't have been allowed into Thailand your first time).

Anyhow you very likely will be able to get at least a single entry tourist visa to Thailand by going to a Thai consulate .... whichever one is nearest to you.

That single entry tourist visa can be extended for another 30 days at immigration in Thailand .... wherever your staying.... for a 1900 Baht fee for the extension.

The 60 days you get on entry with that visa and the 30 day extension in Thailand you get will give you a 90 day stay in Thailand.

After 90 days you will be much more experienced in Thailand, at least.

Points of advice ......

1. Buying property in Thailand...... not sure what you mean .... but you, as a foriener are NOT EVER going to allowed to own LAND in Thailand. You are allowed to buy a condo .... if you can afford it..... but you will NEVER own a house and land in Thailand. There may be ways you can jease the land your house is built own .... but forget the idea you can as a foriegner can OWN the land. It won't happen legally.
  2. Not to be unkind, but there are thousands od stories about a person who met a "nice Thai woman" on a trip to Thailand and a large majority turn out very badly .... with the foriegner losing money. You have been warned.
  3. Most Thai lawyers have no idea about getting foriegners visas .... because Thais don't need one to enter Thailand. Anyhow, if you simply follow the immigration preceedures you usuall do NOT NEED a lawyer.
  4. Opening a bank account is possible.... but as another posted correctly said.... you may have to do a bit of searching to find a bank that will open one. Frankly, that's because most Thai bank clerks simply don't know what to do to open aa bank account for a foriegner ,,,,, and they sinply don't want to admit to the foriegner that they don't know how to do it, It has alot to do with the Thai desire not to "lose face" by admitting they may be wrong.

whistling.gif

Yes... Brits are inept, yanks are conceited, Aussies are course, Swedes all alcoholics etc etc....your pretension and generalisation is uncalled for.

The OP admits to lacking experience and having 'fallen' for one of the numerous Thai 'princesses', and thereby not in full control of his faculties!

No doubt you were born knowing all there was to know about these issues and if not researched everything first. I'm sure the OP has done some of his own homework but also knows first hand advice from 'old hands' can be a short cut to useful tips.

Where I do agree with you is regarding land ownership, something foreigners in Thailand can only dream about.

However, Usufruct Agreements can be made and the Thai legal services are fully aware of these. The following links help explain things more : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usufruct http://kbs-properties.com/support/propertylaw

In common with other foreigners living in Thailand and having experience over a 'longer time frame,' of life, culture and relationships, I would caution against any immediate or near future plan to invest large sums of money in Thailand.

First, take time to really get to know your GF before making 'concrete' plans involving investment. Many foreigners come 'unstuck' in relationships here either because the GF is or was a bar girl. There are occasional 'gems' among them but they are rare. Another pitfall is attempting to use accepted 'western' cultural thinking to negotiate, compromise or reconcile differences of opinion, attitudes or behaviour.....it rarely 'computes'.

Second, the attraction of, 'apparent freedom' to realise any business venture or personal dream, without the usual bureaucratic formalities, can lead to a lack of better judgement.

Consider the number and frequency of Thai or foreign business ventures, which begin and fail at alarming speed, this should should tell you something.

I'm a 'Brit' in my 12th year of experience and have weathered marriage, house building, children, separation, divorce, return to UK, return to Thailand, reincarnation, new relationship, meticulously considered investment and a current 5 year 'partnership' with prospect for long term life here.

It wasn't easy at first, during or even to this day....but, if I'm able to realise 'my goal', which is within sight now, I can and will enjoy a lifestyle beyond anything I can have in The UK.

Proceed with caution and then, only if you possess reserves of tenacity, patience, flexibility, will power and strength of character . Thailand is not for the feint hearted.

An exception to the above but not a guarantee, is having so much money you can indulge any whim and 'move on' at any time you're unhappy with a relationship or how a venture is going.

Best of BRITISH luck whatever you choose to do.

This has to be a 'first' on TV.....2 pages of post, so far, with balanced advice devoid of all the usual contentious crap. If OP doesn't make an informed decision, based on this information, I'll start eating Papaya Pok Pok with crab legs !

Edited by menorah
  • Like 2

Here's good advice: Don't move to Thailand because of a woman. Move to Thailand because you really love it there and want to be in Thailand and can take even the downsides because of it.

Good advice. Even if I split with the gf tomorrow I would still be looking to live in Thailand. This is a long term plan for me. I loved the place before I met the gf and I don't fancy growing old in the UK. I have spent most of my time in Thailand out in the countryside and not in the cities. It is the countryside, the food and the people I like. The gf is a major bonus also smile.png

• Like 2

For you long term health and financial security, for the first 10 years at least:

Don't:

1. Don't buy property in her name, rent.

2. Don't invest in her businesses.

3. Don't open joint bank accounts.

4. Don't get her a credit card

5. Don't guarantee any loans

6. Don't make her a beneficiary in your will.

7. Don't get a 2nd floor or higher condo with balcony.

Although the fall won't kill you, the sudden stop at the end will!

If you are still together after 10 years with no problems then you may consider buying a house.

8. don't take out life insurance with her as beneficiary;

9. don't buy a car in her name.

• Like 2

If you read enough of these posts here after a while you start to see a trend,,,

You can say there's one born every day (you take a number, it's your turn now)

If you read enough of these posts you will read that there are many of "you" but there

are many of "us" that are now looking to leave this country for many reasons, so i would

read very closely the posts and advice on this POST because i would agree with the

majority of them, they are mostly all correct in their advice, my version after 7 years

here is that if you are not cashed up or have a steady income stream then you will be

in serious trouble in the future, Thailand will drain you financially and emotionally and

eventually you will fall into a whirlpool of insecurity, you need someone or something

to fall back on should things go wrong,,, in the western world we call it insurance but in

Thailand, is it called love.

" Thailand will drain you financially and emotionally and

eventually you will fall into a whirlpool of insecurity ..."

Hardly anyone here wants to take responsibility for his own poor decisions. Far easier to blame everything on Thailand and those sophisticated Thai women who out-smarted them.

There do seem to be quite a few farang here who have married Thai women and who are quite happy with their lives together. I wonder what the difference is between them and the incessant whiners.

victimhood.jpg

I like your point of view. I know plenty of guys in the UK whose wives have taken them to the cleaners so this is not just a trait with Thai women. The bottom line is if I spend my money and lose it all then that's my call. I just want to invest carefully and get advice from the guys who have previous experience both good and bad.

My Thai wife and I just had our12th anniversary. In February we will of been together for 15 years. She is the best thing that ever happened to me.

I hope I am as lucky as you but then I doubt it was luck that kept you together. Lots of hard work and compromise.

IMA_FARANG, thanks for the advice. I am from the UK. I can easily enter Thailand just now on a 30 day tourist visa so no issues there. My job means that I won't need more than 30 days at a time but I am just planning for the future if things work out with my Thai girlfriend. I appreciate the advice on foreigners losing their money. I have read a few sad tales in different forums which is why I want to get the best advice on how I can ensure I am covered legally if I buy property. I know 2 guys in Thailand and one is happily married with kids and a beautiful house in the country. The other one spent all his life savings on a house in his girlfriend's name and once it was finished she ditched him and now he is back in the UK working at the age of 60 and he doesn't have a penny to his name.

Well I have a Thai wife and yes she costs me money. She was working but what she was earning was not worth the inconvenience it caused, Today we do and go as we please provided the money is always there. for the most part it has been.

When I came over the second time I went to the Thai Consulate in Vancouver B C Canada and got a 60 day multiple reentry. It allowed me to enter the country 3 times. I did not have Thai Visa to explain to me that on each 60 day I could go to immigration and get it extended by 30 days. Thereby having 270 days here with only having to walk across the border and come back into Thailand twice. The one time in Mai Sai took me 10 minutes.

As has been said several times here and you seem to think differently. You can not own land in Thailand. You can own a house but you can not own the land it is on.

If you were to set up a bussiness and have at least four Thai emploies you wouldd then be able to have the company own the house. You can how ever buy and own a condo.

You talk about one friend being happy here and another being taken to the cleaners. Yes that happens a lot. But look at the people being taken to the cleaners. Most of them are lonely and willing to try thijngs they would never try at home. Many of them meet there true love in the bar she is working in and several months later are married. Do they do that at home?

Don't get me wrong there are many marriages here as any where welse in the world that are started with all the right things going for them but the people tend to drift apart. That is a world wide phenomena. Not just a Thai thing. Also there are many happy ones such as your friend and I have. Remember it is the squeaky wheel that gets the greece. Most of them are well lubricated and don't make a lot of noise about it.

Many of them involve a big age difference. As the older one ages they slow down or change their priorites and the younger one is still in the active part of their life they were in when the older one met them and he was still in his active part. soon to change directions.

As you mentioned the age difference I thought I should say that the guy I know who got taken to the cleaners was at least 30 years older than his gf. My friend who is happily married is only 6 years older than his wife. They have their ups and down like any married couple but they work at it and are generally happy. I'm 41 and my gf is 34. We've been together for 2 years now and so far so good.

'Sound Advice' ....... Try Bose, Wharfdale, Harmon Kadon or the like. Plenty of up market stereo shops in BKK too. facepalm.gif

Okay, I'll grab my hat.....

Funny you should mention that I to live in Chiang Mai and was just the other day thinking of the possibility of getting a quality one here in Chiang Mai.

I guess I best grab my hat and follow you.smile.png

To the OP hope you notice we can and do on occasion enjoy a little laugh here on TV with out being mean or hurtful.wai.gif

I like a bit of humour thrown in smile.png It beats reading all the negative comments.

For any proper legal advice go to Magna Carta law firm if you are in Pattaya. Extremely reliable and reputable. There are a few falangs working there and one is English and another chap called Peter is Irish.

I've never been to Pattaya. I will spend a few days in BKK before heading up north to Phrae province. If anyone knows any recommended law firms in BKK, Phrae or even Chiang Mai then these would be more suitable for me. Cheers.

Hopefully an American will do :)

You don't need an attorney. They'll just take you're money and give you the same advice you can get here.

Yes, you need to be over 50 to get a retirement visa. If you're not then the 30 days stays seem to fit you fine for now.

And take your time before buying anything here. Apartments are cheap. And if you're only here a month at a time hotels are fine as well. With the political situation here now is not the time to buy anything.

As a foreigner you can buy a condo. You would need to form a company to buy a house and then you'd need an attorney, but don't be in a hurry. That's unless you want to put it in her name (really bad idea IMHO).

Also take your time with the girl. The longer you're here, the more it will open your eyes (unless she puts a blindfold on you, lol).

And enjoy this crazy and wonderful place!

For any proper legal advice go to Magna Carta law firm if you are in Pattaya. Extremely reliable and reputable. There are a few falangs working there and one is English and another chap called Peter is Irish.

And it would be nice to see their work permits as law is reserved employment for Thais only.

Legal advice from people working illegally, that has to be good advice!

Edited by FiftyTwo

I've never been to Pattaya. I will spend a few days in BKK before heading up north to Phrae province. If anyone knows any recommended law firms in BKK, Phrae or even Chiang Mai then these would be more suitable for me. Cheers.

Be really careful taking any sort of advice from foreigners.

They are more likely to cheat you than Thais.

Lots of foreigners working illegally, usually broke, usually doing anything to anyone to earn enough money to stay here.

Some really big-time foreigner IFA/property/legal crooks working in CM, watch out.

Absolutely avoid any foreigners trying to do work in coffee bars, restaurants, bars, expat events, etc.

Edited by FiftyTwo

My experience is, I feel, a benchmark and is similar to a few others from the UK. My next door neighbors in the UK went to Pattaya for a short holiday and came back with loads of happy stories of the people they met and the fun they had. They introduced me, via the e-mail to a charming lady that worked in a bar on Beach Road. So after a few months, off I went to meet her. My neighbors judgement was spot on. After six months or so we got married and spent about seven years in the UK working and traveling around. Time came by when work was done and a new life beckoned. We sold up and move to Thailand where we now enjoy farming together. Its a great life.

For those that are interested all the usual precautions have been observed. Usufruct, independent finances as well as a joint account. Car and house in my name, land in hers.

Important thing is we both feel we made the right decision and the passage of time plus the amount of work maintaining our relationship gives us each the confidence that we have made the right decisions and will quite likely continue to so do.

• Like 1

Thanks ubonjoe & 96tehtarp, I'll check out those links and Sunbelt. Much appreciated.

You really don't need a Lawyer. There is plenty of good advice on here. Just take your time and sift through it.

Just remember what others have said. If you buy land you will never own it, permanently.

To open a bank account you will need a Thai address and your Passport, so take your GF along use her address, You should be out in about 20/30 mins with bank book and nice new shiny ATM card,beware.

Do not rush into any business.Many have and many have failed.

The best advice I can offer is Don't rush into anything. Once you have made your mind up, give yourself at least another 24 hours before committing to anything.

jb1

Go to your nearest Thai consulate and get the most 60 day reentry's you can Mine was three of them in Canada. I think it is down to two of them now. You won't need a lawyer the consulate will walk you through it. Each 60 day can be extended 30 more days when you get here by just going into immigration and paying them I believe it is 1,900 baht. There by giving you 180 or 270 days.

Go to where you want to live and settle in for a while and make sure it is what you want. The last thing you want to do is buy some thing you can not walk away from in your early time here. Plenty of time for a lawyer if indeed you need one.

One other item that I use and has helped me to stay happy most of the time is

The Thais are not right and they are not wrong they are just different enjoy the difference.smile.png

There is one exception to that. Most of the time they drive on the wrong side of the road.sad.png

You might want to check out the immigration forum here.

Go to your nearest Thai consulate and get the most 60 day reentry's you can Mine was three of them in Canada. I think it is down to two of them now. You won't need a lawyer the consulate will walk you through it. Each 60 day can be extended 30 more days when you get here by just going into immigration and paying them I believe it is 1,900 baht. There by giving you 180 or 270 days.

Go to where you want to live and settle in for a while and make sure it is what you want. The last thing you want to do is buy some thing you can not walk away from in your early time here. Plenty of time for a lawyer if indeed you need one.

One other item that I use and has helped me to stay happy most of the time is

The Thais are not right and they are not wrong they are just different enjoy the difference.smile.png

There is one exception to that. Most of the time they drive on the wrong side of the road.sad.png

You might want to check out the immigration forum here.

I don't work in the UK. I only have a house there so I will likely just go straight from work to Thailand so the consulate is not a good option for me. It seems to me that my 30 day tourist visa is adequate for my needs just now. Another 8 years or so and I can look at a retirement visa. The other option is the marriage visa but it's a little too early for that yet. Good advice on making sure I buy in an area I like. I have been to the girlfriends family home before and I do like the area but I will likely look at renting first and take my time to get the right place to buy. It's a very rural area so renting may not be too easy but seems the best way forward to start with.

The only thing I would disagree with you on is that the Thais drive on the wrong side. It's you that's on the wrong side smile.png Another reason I love the place.

The Thais do indeed drive on the "right" side unless they drive on the "wrong" side as is often the case!

By the way there are no 30 day tourist visas !

Just for clarification, when I say that the Thais drive on the right side I mean the correct side which is the left side and not the right side which is the wrong side. Unless of course they are driving a motorbike then anything goes. I hope I've made that clear enough smile.png

When I travel to Thailand I don't need a visa before I go. I automatically get to stay 30 days as a tourist so technically I don't have a visa.

The Thais do indeed drive on the "right" side unless they drive  on the "wrong" side as is often the case!

By the way there are no 30 day tourist visas !

Visa on entry....Posted Image

Wrong it is a visa exempt entry.

A visa on arrival is only 15 days and can only be obtained by those from certain countries.

OP - good you have a plan but don't look too far ahead so soon as it seems you're still in the "honeymoon phase".

I've been coming here 10 yrs and lived for 2 and I personally never thought of owning property or a business as it's too complicated and there's a myriad of layers to it all. And if you get real serious with the girl - don't go all in financially until you're sure of the situation.

You have the benefit of others experiences (good/bad), just plan it out and search on here for your answers and/or speak to a lawyer like some have suggested.