Where Do I Go For Sound Advice

Hi folks. I am a newbie to Thai Visa and I am hoping some of the more experienced UK expats can give me some sound advice. I have been to Thailand a few times in the last 3 years and I intend to go back in April next year for Songkran. Yes, I have fallen for a lovely Thai woman and I am thinking about spending more time in the country. It seems to me that it is pretty hard to obtain a Thai visa and without one, buying property and opening up bank accounts seems almost impossible depending on who you talk to. Can anyone recommend a good English speaking lawyer in Bangkok that I can visit when I go out next and get advice on visas, property ownership, setting up a company etc. etc.

Your advice on this minefield is greatly appreciated.

Unless you are 50 or over your only option is tourist visas or going to school and getting an extension of stay.

You can open a bank account with a tourist visa or even with an exempt entry. You may have to go to more than one bank to open it.

Sunbelt Asia is a sponsor of this forum you could contact them.

whistling.gif It's not that difficult to get a single entry visa ..... you don't say waht country your from, but I'll just assume it's the U.k. (they seem to be the majority in those who don't know how to get visas from a thai consulate, so i'll assume you are a Brit).

Unless you have a criminal record (which you probably don't or you wouldn't have been allowed into Thailand your first time).

Anyhow you very likely will be able to get at least a single entry tourist visa to Thailand by going to a Thai consulate .... whichever one is nearest to you.

That single entry tourist visa can be extended for another 30 days at immigration in Thailand .... wherever your staying.... for a 1900 Baht fee for the extension.

The 60 days you get on entry with that visa and the 30 day extension in Thailand you get will give you a 90 day stay in Thailand.

After 90 days you will be much more experienced in Thailand, at least.

Points of advice ......

1. Buying property in Thailand...... not sure what you mean .... but you, as a foriener are NOT EVER going to allowed to own LAND in Thailand. You are allowed to buy a condo .... if you can afford it..... but you will NEVER own a house and land in Thailand. There may be ways you can jease the land your house is built own .... but forget the idea you can as a foriegner can OWN the land. It won't happen legally.
  2. Not to be unkind, but there are thousands od stories about a person who met a "nice Thai woman" on a trip to Thailand and a large majority turn out very badly .... with the foriegner losing money. You have been warned.
  3. Most Thai lawyers have no idea about getting foriegners visas .... because Thais don't need one to enter Thailand. Anyhow, if you simply follow the immigration preceedures you usuall do NOT NEED a lawyer.
  4. Opening a bank account is possible.... but as another posted correctly said.... you may have to do a bit of searching to find a bank that will open one. Frankly, that's because most Thai bank clerks simply don't know what to do to open aa bank account for a foriegner ,,,,, and they sinply don't want to admit to the foriegner that they don't know how to do it, It has alot to do with the Thai desire not to "lose face" by admitting they may be wrong.

whistling.gif

• Like 2

IMA_FARANG, thanks for the advice. I am from the UK. I can easily enter Thailand just now on a 30 day tourist visa so no issues there. My job means that I won't need more than 30 days at a time but I am just planning for the future if things work out with my Thai girlfriend. I appreciate the advice on foreigners losing their money. I have read a few sad tales in different forums which is why I want to get the best advice on how I can ensure I am covered legally if I buy property. I know 2 guys in Thailand and one is happily married with kids and a beautiful house in the country. The other one spent all his life savings on a house in his girlfriend's name and once it was finished she ditched him and now he is back in the UK working at the age of 60 and he doesn't have a penny to his name.

IMA_FARANG, thanks for the advice. I am from the UK. I can easily enter Thailand just now on a 30 day tourist visa so no issues there. My job means that I won't need more than 30 days at a time but I am just planning for the future if things work out with my Thai girlfriend. I appreciate the advice on foreigners losing their money. I have read a few sad tales in different forums which is why I want to get the best advice on how I can ensure I am covered legally if I buy property. I know 2 guys in Thailand and one is happily married with kids and a beautiful house in the country. The other one spent all his life savings on a house in his girlfriend's name and once it was finished she ditched him and now he is back in the UK working at the age of 60 and he doesn't have a penny to his name.

The best advice is not to buy property at all in Thailand.

Second best advice get her to buy the property with a home loan from a bank, you make the monthly payments.

Funny thing about legal advice in Thailand.

They often just tell you what you want to hear, or what they think will make them most money.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

Where Do I go for Sound Advice - You found it - ThaiVisa.com

.No he asked ---Where Do I go for Sound Advice from a experienced UK ex-pat.....that's a whole lot more difficult..............cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by oxo1947
  • Like 1

Unless you are 50 or over your only option is tourist visas or going to school and getting an extension of stay.

You can open a bank account with a tourist visa or even with an exempt entry. You may have to go to more than one bank to open it.

Sunbelt Asia is a sponsor of this forum you could contact them.

I understand that almost any Kasikorn bank in Pattaya will give an account to anyone with a tourist visa.

• Like 1

My 25 satang. When I came here I did exactly what you want to do. Difference is i stayed here. If you are going to be in country for 30 days at most then i would just come and enjoy the gf and the country.

You can look at different ideas Sunbelt is one company a different company. The big thing is to decide where you are going to be. Some firms do not have locations all over Thailand and will not be able to help you.

As to a business remember you can only own 49% of the business. The gf and her family get the rest.

Buying a house again it is in her name or you only have 49% of it.

As to the gf sorry mate but the words they speak are true. There are a LOT of Thai girls that are your gf while you are in country and then have 12 other boyfriends the rest of the year.

Had a friend that had no problem with this it made is holidays wonderful. He had a great gf that looked after and treated him like a king for the time he was in country with none of the long term worries.

She just had to give him a piece of paper signed by a doctor when he landed in country. LOL

NY advice enjoy your holiday, DO NOT look at houses or talk about marriage or retirement around your gf and when she asks advise that you still have to work in UK and that you have been told getting a visa for her is near impossible.

The best advice is not to buy property at all in Thailand.

Second best advice get her to buy the property with a home loan from a bank, you make the monthly payments.

Funny thing about legal advice in Thailand.

They often just tell you what you want to hear, or what they think will make them most money.

A Thai lawyer some years ago told me, "Never trust a lawyer and never ever trust a Thai lawyer."

• Like 2

If you read enough of these posts here after a while you start to see a trend,,,

You can say there's one born every day (you take a number, it's your turn now)

If you read enough of these posts you will read that there are many of "you" but there

are many of "us" that are now looking to leave this country for many reasons, so i would

read very closely the posts and advice on this POST because i would agree with the

majority of them, they are mostly all correct in their advice, my version after 7 years

here is that if you are not cashed up or have a steady income stream then you will be

in serious trouble in the future, Thailand will drain you financially and emotionally and

eventually you will fall into a whirlpool of insecurity, you need someone or something

to fall back on should things go wrong,,, in the western world we call it insurance but in

Thailand, is it called love.

• Like 2

Here's good advice: Don't move to Thailand because of a woman. Move to Thailand because you really love it there and want to be in Thailand and can take even the downsides because of it.

• Like 2

Re. No. 1........I think the OP is aware of these points already with his inquiries about making a Thai Company..

whistling.gif It's not that difficult to get a single entry visa ..... you don't say waht country your from, but I'll just assume it's the U.k. (they seem to be the majority in those who don't know how to get visas from a thai consulate, so i'll assume you are a Brit).

Unless you have a criminal record (which you probably don't or you wouldn't have been allowed into Thailand your first time).

Anyhow you very likely will be able to get at least a single entry tourist visa to Thailand by going to a Thai consulate .... whichever one is nearest to you.

That single entry tourist visa can be extended for another 30 days at immigration in Thailand .... wherever your staying.... for a 1900 Baht fee for the extension.

The 60 days you get on entry with that visa and the 30 day extension in Thailand you get will give you a 90 day stay in Thailand.

Points of advice ......

1. Buying property in Thailand...... not sure what you mean .... but you, as a foriener are NOT EVER going to allowed to own LAND in Thailand. You are allowed to buy a condo .... if you can afford it..... but you will NEVER own a house and land in Thailand. There may be ways you can jease the land your house is built own .... but forget the idea you can as a foriegner can OWN the land. It won't happen legally.
  2. Not to be unkind, but there are thousands od stories about a person who met a "nice Thai woman" on a trip to Thailand and a large majority turn out very badly .... with the foriegner losing money. You have been warned.
  3. Most Thai lawyers have no idea about getting foriegners visas .... because Thais don't need one to enter Thailand. Anyhow, if you simply follow the immigration preceedures you usuall do NOT NEED a lawyer.
  4. Opening a bank account is possible.... but as another posted correctly said.... you may have to do a bit of searching to find a bank that will open one. Frankly, that's because most Thai bank clerks simply don't know what to do to open aa bank account for a foriegner ,,,,, and they sinply don't want to admit to the foriegner that they don't know how to do it, It has alot to do with the Thai desire not to "lose face" by admitting they may be wrong.

whistling.gif

Well I have a Thai wife and yes she costs me money. She was working but what she was earning was not worth the inconvenience it caused, Today we do and go as we please provided the money is always there. for the most part it has been.

When I came over the second time I went to the Thai Consulate in Vancouver B C Canada and got a 60 day multiple reentry. It allowed me to enter the country 3 times. I did not have Thai Visa to explain to me that on each 60 day I could go to immigration and get it extended by 30 days. Thereby having 270 days here with only having to walk across the border and come back into Thailand twice. The one time in Mai Sai took me 10 minutes.

As has been said several times here and you seem to think differently. You can not own land in Thailand. You can own a house but you can not own the land it is on.

If you were to set up a bussiness and have at least four Thai emploies you wouldd then be able to have the company own the house. You can how ever buy and own a condo.

You talk about one friend being happy here and another being taken to the cleaners. Yes that happens a lot. But look at the people being taken to the cleaners. Most of them are lonely and willing to try thijngs they would never try at home. Many of them meet there true love in the bar she is working in and several months later are married. Do they do that at home?

Don't get me wrong there are many marriages here as any where welse in the world that are started with all the right things going for them but the people tend to drift apart. That is a world wide phenomena. Not just a Thai thing. Also there are many happy ones such as your friend and I have. Remember it is the squeaky wheel that gets the greece. Most of them are well lubricated and don't make a lot of noise about it.

Many of them involve a big age difference. As the older one ages they slow down or change their priorites and the younger one is still in the active part of their life they were in when the older one met them and he was still in his active part. soon to change directions.

Points of advice ......

whistling.gif

Sound advice but i do ownder about the line: "Unless you have a criminal record (which you probably don't or you wouldn't have been allowed into Thailand your first time)." Really? The background check procedures actually exist? Gosh, how many criminals have sneaked into this country?

'Sound Advice' ....... Try Bose, Wharfdale, Harmon Kadon or the like. Plenty of up market stereo shops in BKK too. facepalm.gif

Okay, I'll grab my hat.....

Funny you should mention that I to live in Chiang Mai and was just the other day thinking of the possibility of getting a quality one here in Chiang Mai.

I guess I best grab my hat and follow you.smile.png

To the OP hope you notice we can and do on occasion enjoy a little laugh here on TV with out being mean or hurtful.wai.gif

• Like 1

You can open a bank account at the Green Bank Pattaya Klang with 30 days arrival and passport.Address is the hotel you are staying at.Only rent a house to not buy or build is anyones name.You are playing away from home you cannot win this game just how much you loose is up to you,do not be afraid to halt proceedings at any stage.Thais will get as much out of you as they can only thing you have got in your favour is you have got the baht.The ones that will really get you in Thailand are Farangs.BTW I have a got a great lady here,she is happy with what I give her especially when its time bonus every 3 months.If thing keep going how they are she looks after me,I go to Buddha,then she has the lot.Then she can build the house or anything she wants