Good idea to check out the protest tomorrow?

grumpyoldman

Nope; mob mentality is scary, volatile and dangerous enough (whoever's involved and whichever set of protests/rallies/marches you decide to witness) without hostility towards 'foreigners' (of any type) being explicitly raised and in the collective consciousness... leave all sides who want to be involved to it.

Edited by householder
  • Like 1

I visited the mob at the finance ministry a few days ago, taking photos. I was the only farang there, but it was not scary at all. They even offered me food for free.

I would not do this at night time and always check possible exit routes. Stay away if it gets too crowdy.

If all the rabid posters on the news forum wanting to see the present government torn limb from limb are any indication then there should be many Thai visa posters in attendance... personally, I couldn't handle all the whistling racket made by brain dead wanna be car park attendants...

In light of Suthep's comments that 'foreigners' will be in the crowd to disrupt the march, I definitely think it would be a risk that I wouldn't take.

I somehow don't think he was referring to the likes of Herr Nostitz or Mr Amsterdam when he referred to foreign spies... Let's face it, they'd stand out like a soi dogs <deleted> even in a crowd of 1,000 Thais let alone the eleventy billion he's predicted...

Even Somchai on the corner knew he was talking about Cambodians, Burmese or Lao :P

I would not put it past the yellow shirts to bring the protest to a more convient place for farrangs to view... say Suvarnabhumi Airport... coffee1.gif

Could it be the Russkies know something? The word on the street in Pattaya is a lot of Russkies have flown back home early.

I would not put it past the yellow shirts to bring the protest to a more convient place for farrangs to view... say Suvarnabhumi Airport...  Posted Image

Could it be the Russkies know something? The word on the street in Pattaya is a lot of Russkies have flown back home early. 

Have you heard that other rumour Jingthing..???....

I'll be back later to start it.........

Anyway attending a protest IMO would be a bad thing to do as a tourist or expat..May start off as a peaceful protest but who knows how it may end..

I thought the news about the Russkies leaving in some numbers was more than a rumor actually. Also locals have told me this high season is not as high as expected and over 55 percent of the Pattaya high season tourist market is Russians, so there you go. Probably also of course many cancellations who never came. No I haven't heard the rumor you speak of.

Edited by Jingthing