Thai opposition says all its MPs to resign

Lite Beer

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But another leading figure in the anti-government movement, Satit Wongnongtauy, hinted on Sunday that the rallies could be prolonged.
"If we do not win tomorrow, we will not return home. We will bring victory home," he said.

It is like trophy that can be taken home.

• Like 2

Not sure how this will work out. Nobody appears to want to govern this country under a democratic system.

I'm very worried for Thai folk over the "Peoples" Council thing. At least the current democratic system had SOME checks and balances. I mean the Democrats and protests did help stop the amnesty bill. But an unelected council of appointed people smacks of a Laos, DPRK style ring to it. Hope I'm wrong but it seems to me the PC is a big jump into the unknown that will bring its own style of grief. Finding impartial, incorruptible people to serve for the greater good, seems akin to mission impossible.It might have been better for Thais to work with what they've got, rather than trying on a new system.

I also haven't seen anything to suggest that there should be either an election (assuming PT would run on a platform of maintaining the current system and the Democrats on a platform of changing to a new system of Peoples Council), or a referendum on changing the system of government. In my opinion, a change in governmental system should be voted for by the people. It certainly isn't, in my opinion, right that a very small number of protestors should decide for the whole country.

But I am just a guest and I'll go about my daily life whoever and whatever system Thais end up with.

"People's Council"? Doesn't that have a sort of North Korean feel to it?

K.Suthep certainly doesn't have any democratic credentials himself, so what as part of the ruling elite would he know about "the people"?

• Like 1

Not sure how this will work out. Nobody appears to want to govern this country under a democratic system.

I'm very worried for Thai folk over the "Peoples" Council thing. At least the current democratic system had SOME checks and balances. I mean the Democrats and protests did help stop the amnesty bill. But an unelected council of appointed people smacks of a Laos, DPRK style ring to it. Hope I'm wrong but it seems to me the PC is a big jump into the unknown that will bring its own style of grief. Finding impartial, incorruptible people to serve for the greater good, seems akin to mission impossible.It might have been better for Thais to work with what they've got, rather than trying on a new system.

I also haven't seen anything to suggest that there should be either an election (assuming PT would run on a platform of maintaining the current system and the Democrats on a platform of changing to a new system of Peoples Council), or a referendum on changing the system of government. In my opinion, a change in governmental system should be voted for by the people. It certainly isn't, in my opinion, right that a very small number of protestors should decide for the whole country.

But I am just a guest and I'll go about my daily life whoever and whatever system Thais end up with.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the dems are any keener on suthep's people's council than PT.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

"The protest leaders have said that they would not be satisfied with new elections, leaving the two sides locked in a stalemate that risks scaring off foreign investors and tourists."

The protest leaders want the country to be governed by appointed, not elected, councils because they keep losing elections. If they succeed it will tear this country apart, the Thai's will not abandon democracy without a fight.

HEY BRUCE! Maybe they now want some DEMOCRATIC reforms? I wish pray and hope so. If not back to selling bananas for all THAILAND as INVESTORS will leave - and much to people thinking they will return... look elsewhere my friends, money DOES NOT come back via big industry.

• Like 1

They're not backstabbing anyone, the people voting them in will be cheering this news loudly, the people voting them in are out their marching now, to keep this country free. It's about time they got on their feet and stood up for their country against these petty dictators.

They are back to their 2006 tactic, if you can't win at the ballot box, you frustrate the system. The democratic party is democratic in name only.

Not only do they backstab all the people that voted for them, they now openly support Suthep and his People's council.

I feel sorry for everyone that voted these clowns in to parliament.

• Like 2

The Government will be delighted that the opposition have all resigned,

time to sign a few dodgy contracts,without scrutiny, just like Samak on

his last day as Bangkok mayor, the fire engines and boats must be well

rusted after so many years standing on the docks !

regards Worgeordie

The Democrate Party knows that their days are numbered and so resigned to avoid being dissolved....well, to save face really.

It would be interesting to hear why they would be dissolved? What did they do to have that threat placed on the party? I very much doubt that PTP would dare to dissolve the party at this stage of the game!

I could be wrong, but I don't think the dems are any keener on suthep's people's council than PT.

So why have they voted en masse to resign and march on government house in support of suthep - apart from being clinically deluded that is?

I don't know why. Could be they think they can force an election? Maybe they think, rightly or wrongly, they can win an election. I don't know why they have resigned, but I haven't seen any evidence they are backing suthep's looney schemes.

• Like 1

I think with the Dems gone, there won't be enough MPs for a quorum so parliament won't be able to vote on any bills. So it'll have to be dissolved.

But what does this actually do?

Yes, indeed. What does this actually do? The government can presumably still go on being the government without the opposition, or is there some constitutional requirement that it can only function if there's an opposition? Does the Dems resignation mean that there is an insufficient quorum?

Constitutional experts please?
  • Like 1

The only thing Yingluck can do is dissolve, become caretaker PM and hold new elections, if it is necessary to dissolve, but dissolution is the most she can do for the protesters and they must accept it and end their protests so the next election could be held, if they continue to protest she has to stay on as PM, and the military has consistently said it's staying out., will the protesters accept new elections continues to be the question.

• Like 1

'The kingdom has been rocked by several episodes of political bloodshed since Thaksin, a billionaire tycoon-turned-premier, was ousted by royalist generals in a coup seven years ago.'

My, but AFP does love that phrase.

if they repeat it enough it becomes true….giggle.gif

while in reality 99.9 percent of all Thais are indeed royalist and love their king.wai2.gif

Edited by fullcave

Nobody sees himself as more "elite" than Thaksin. He is no man of the people, he is just a man who uses people.

"People's Council"? Doesn't that have a sort of North Korean feel to it?

K.Suthep certainly doesn't have any democratic credentials himself, so what as part of the ruling elite would he know about "the people"?

• Like 2

It becomes fairly obvious that Suthep and the Democrats are trying to create sufficient chaos that the military will be forced to act to restore stability. Next step, if Yingluck declares a new election, the Democrats will boycott the election creating further chaos.

Eventually the Army must act to restore some semblance of order, even if it is only to create the People's Council headed by Chairman Suthep. This could be the end of the democracy experiment in Thailand.

• Like 2

Hmmm .... One hellava chess game ????? coffee1.gif

You can't compare this <deleted> to chess - politicians from both sides are about as subtle as hand grenades and have the tactical thinking of a 7 year old with dyslexia.

It's all a game of "mine's bigger than yours" being carried out by playground bullies.

They should rename this place Kindergartenland.

Really? How so? biggrin.png