Former Asean secretary-general Surin's 'reform' talks do have a point: Editorial

webfact

Clear, balanced, analytical, reflective, critical capability, forward thinking.

Full approval

"If majority control of Parliament is considered a licence to do anything or a lucrative "concession", elections will not be fought for the people's wellbeing but more and more for vested interests. And when vested interests overtake the people's wellbeing in politics, corruption will prevail."

and

"Surin's second point is that the country's bureaucracy needs a major revamp as well. The seemingly idealistic idea of giving elected politicians absolute control of bureaucratic transfers, appointments and promotions has bred nepotism, which leads to inefficiency."

• Like 1

The most obvious point in his analysis is land reform. This is certainly a 'populist' ideal. It would be remarkable if it ever happened. How you rid any political system of corruption and nepotism is beyond me.

Surin Pitsuwan has always been one of my favorite politicians in Thailand for many many years but he left to take over the Asean Secretary General and left the Democrat Part in a dilemma with good people that could have lead the Democrat Party after Chuan left. He enjoys strong respect in the deep South as he knows the problem. I think Surin Pitsuwan could be one day a good PM of Thailand.

He has the experience that Abhisit never had. If he sets up his own political party he would be able to easily win the districts of Nakhon Si Thammarat, Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat but it would be a set back for the Democrat Party. May be the Demcrat Party should rename the Party and let Surin take over. I am sure Chuan would be very happy to have Surin on board again. As Abhisit also Surin is very clean.

If Yingluck wins the next election it would be great to have the Democrat Party under Surin to join the coalition with PTP and the other small parties can move into the opposition such as CP, CT, BJ, etc which are any way only on board to make money. PTP surely win again the next election but with the top of the Democrat Party gone and replaced by people's like Surin Pitsuwan with some very good academics and not any one from the private sector could be a way to have a national government. I think many Thai's would welcome this.

May be I am dreaming to much

Edited by MobileContent
  • Like 1

Surin Pitsuwan has always been one of my favorite politicians in Thailand for many many years but he left to take over the Asean Secretary General and left the Democrat Part in a dilemma with good people that could have lead the Democrat Party after Chuan left. He enjoys strong respect in the deep South as he knows the problem. I think Surin Pitsuwan could be one day a good PM of Thailand.

He has the experience that Abhisit never had. If he sets up his own political party he would be able to easily win the districts of Nakhon Si Thammarat, Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat but it would be a set back for the Democrat Party. May be the Demcrat Party should rename the Party and let Surin take over. I am sure Chuan would be very happy to have Surin on board again. As Abhisit also Surin is very clean.

If Yingluck wins the next election it would be great to have the Democrat Party under Surin to join the coalition with PTP and the other small parties can move into the opposition such as CP, CT, BJ, etc which are any way only on board to make money. PTP surely win again the next election but with the top of the Democrat Party gone and replaced by people's like Surin Pitsuwan with some very good academics and not any one from the private sector could be a way to have a national government. I think many Thai's would welcome this.

Throw in another good ex-Democrat, Supachai Panichpakdi, and you just might have the makings of a party worth voting for.

• Like 1

One one problem left: how to explain this to all those voters upcountry ……….

If Surin could convince the Democrats to make 'land reform' to be the centerpiece of their platform, it could certainly make a lot of people stop and think. I commend Surin for raising this issue because it is rarely discussed in Thailand.

Throw in another good ex-Democrat, Supachai Panichpakdi, and you just might have the makings of a party worth voting for.

You are spot on. If I remember correctly Supachai left for the WTO job once again at the wrong timing. On the end sadly only Khun Banyan was left with all those new comers including the fishy one such as Khun Korbsak who was from the CP party and switched to the Democrat Party after Suchinda took over and send Chatchai to play Golf at DM AIrport. I met both Khun Korbsak and also had the great honor to actually meet Khun Surin at the MFA on Sri Ayutthaya and Khun Supachai at the HQ of the Democrat Party. The democrats had a great team in the 90's but sadly it all ended when Suthep bring down the government and since that day they never won another election.

I know they can do it but they have to start it in a smart and honest way with good people on board. Example get good people on board in the Isaan and Northern region. Farmers not go for 300-400 Baht for a vote but they might able to go for a policy that benefits them and not only send them as cheap labor to Bangkok, Samui, Phuket or otherwise stuck in poverty for live.

BTW I supported fully the 300 Baht policy from the PTP. I am not connected to factories but I have been in the Thai tourism industry for over 20 years and hotels and resorts in Bangkok, Samui, Phuket, Krabi etc are able to pay that salary and it helps greatly the workers to send some money back the the family they left behind.

Nothing of which was brought up as being a problem when the Democrats were shoe horned into power.

These guys want their cake and to eat it. Either they genuinely want more democracy, with more checks and balances because they believe it is the right thing to do, or they don't? Are they willing to come up with reforms that strengthen institutions, and systems and are willign to play by these new rules or not? I don't think they are, they like the system just the way it is, with all it's problems and all its corruptions but don't like it when they aren't in the box seat.

Abhisit could stand up tomorrow and say that he is going to stamp out all corruption in his own party. is he going to? Not in 1000 years.

Full approval

"If majority control of Parliament is considered a licence to do anything or a lucrative "concession", elections will not be fought for the people's wellbeing but more and more for vested interests. And when vested interests overtake the people's wellbeing in politics, corruption will prevail."

and

"Surin's second point is that the country's bureaucracy needs a major revamp as well. The seemingly idealistic idea of giving elected politicians absolute control of bureaucratic transfers, appointments and promotions has bred nepotism, which leads to inefficiency."

In a parliamentary democracy, yes,,it means that as long as the leading party maintains a majority, they can do what they want.

It works well in the uk to deliver decisive effective government for 5 years.. It also requires a free and vibrant press to hold the politicians to account, a vibrant opposition who nibble at the government all the time,and a need for MPs to connect with their populous to do something.

None of which exists in thailand. Could you imagine anyone daring to do an expenses scandal expose in thailand? The bloke who went after yingluck with her meeting in the hotel miraculously disappeared and was killed for 5k USD.

Oh yes Thailand. The land of shamocracy.

If Surin could convince the Democrats to make 'land reform' to be the centerpiece of their platform, it could certainly make a lot of people stop and think. I commend Surin for raising this issue because it is rarely discussed in Thailand.

I am not so sure about the land reform and have to pass a bit. I have met many Isaan farmers and they all have at least 3-10 Rai on average and land was passed on for generations. Parents some time have around 30 Rai's but they have to split it between the different siblings.

I am not so sure about the land reform and have to pass a bit. I have met many Isaan farmers and they all have at least 3-10 Rai on average and land was passed on for generations. Parents some time have around 30 Rai's but they have to split it between the different siblings.

If there have there own, good.

But i know also many farmers, they have to rent there land to make rice, or fruits.

Edited by tomacht8

Who is a good person from the upper side north / east?

Full approval

and

In a parliamentary democracy, yes,,it means that as long as the leading party maintains a majority, they can do what they want.

It works well in the uk to deliver decisive effective government for 5 years.. It also requires a free and vibrant press to hold the politicians to account, a vibrant opposition who nibble at the government all the time,and a need for MPs to connect with their populous to do something.

None of which exists in thailand. Could you imagine anyone daring to do an expenses scandal expose in thailand? The bloke who went after yingluck with her meeting in the hotel miraculously disappeared and was killed for 5k USD.

Is there any http reference to read about this 5 K bloke?

Full approval

and

The ponzi man. Ekayuht or ekkarat. Funny how he survived for years after nicking all that cash. The moment he's about to go to court after accusing yinglyck of improper behaviour.

Full approval

and

The ponzi man. Ekayuht or ekkarat. Funny how he survived for years after nicking all that cash. The moment he's about to go to court after accusing yinglyck of improper behaviour.

Sorry i do not understand.

Can you give a http reference?