Leaving Thailand and entering UK

Hello

I have a concern regarding my children's dual citizenship. Both my children was born in Thailand and have Thai and British passports both of which we have acquired in Thailand and they have never left country. We are flying back to the UK early next year and I have a few questions regarding this matter.

Can my children leave Thailand on the Thai passport and arrive in the UK on the British passport? (if yes would they not need to show immigration a British visa in there Thai passport)

Obviously it would be easier to leave on the British passports but would I then be liable to paying maximum overstay for both children as they do not have any stamps in there passports?

Look forward to you quick responses

Regards

Jeff

You leave Thailand showing There Thai passport which will then be stamped out.

You enter the UK using there UK passport, They do not need a UK visa due to them have British nationality.

You leave the UK showing there UK passport. The airline may ask to see there Thai passport, so that they know that you children do not need a visa for Thailand.

You enter Thailand using there Thai passports where they will be stamped into the country.

Edited by MaprangHolmes
  • Like 1

You leave Thailand showing There Thai passport which will then be stamped out.

You enter the UK using there UK passport, They do not need a UK visa due to them have British nationality.

You leave the UK showing there UK passport. The airline may ask to see there Thai passport, so that they know that you children do not need a visa for Thailand.

You enter Thailand using there Thai passports where they will be stamped into the country.

Yes, correct. In addition, on checkin for your flight to the UK you will probably be required to also present their UK passports, so it can be established that they don't need a UK visa in their Thai passports.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

Thank you for your response MaprangHolmes, will the Thai officer ask us why we have not got a British visa in there Thai passport? Is it ok to show them both passports?

It is of no interest to them about a UK visa and as someone has already said nothing really to do with them they will just stamp your kids Thai passport relax and enjoy you trip to the UK

No one has mentioned one important thing; children under (I think) 14 are not subject to overstay fines.

But wont be a problem anyway, as your children are dual nationals.

As said, the procedure for dual nationals is very simple.

On leaving Thailand:

• At check in show airline British passports so they know they will be admitted to the UK without restriction.
  • At Thai passport control show and get exit stamp in Thai passports.

On arriving in UK:

• At UK immigration show British passports.

On leaving UK:

• At check in show airline Thai passports so they know they will be admitted to Thailand without restriction.
  • Passports are not routinely checked by officials on leaving the UK, but if asked, show British passports.

On arriving in Thailand:

• At Thai immigration show, and get entry stamp in, Thai passports.
  • Do not use their British passports to enter Thailand; if they do then they will be considered British for all purposes by the Thai government.

It is unlikely that any Thai or British immigration officer will ask why there is no visa in the passport presented to them, as said above it's none of their business. But if they do, simply show the other passport. Both Thailand and the UK allow dual nationality so there should not be a problem.

Finally, my wife used the fill in our daughter's blue landing form when entering Thailand; until the girl decided she was old enough to do so herself. Unfortunately, she completed it in English and the immigration officer told her to fill it in again; saying "If you're Thai, complete this in Thai!

• Like 1

Thank you for your response MaprangHolmes, will the Thai officer ask us why we have not got a British visa in there Thai passport? Is it ok to show them both passports?

Think of it this way:

Travellers don't even get as far as immigration if the airline isn't satisfied that the traveller as the right to enter the destination country. If the traveller has no right in entering the destination country (either with a visa for that country, or a passport showing they can enter without a visa), no boarding pass is issued. So it is the airline who performs that check. Showing both passports to the airline check in, shows that the children have the right to enter the UK on the UK passport, but will need a departure card for the Thai passport.

The immigration officer will just stamp the passport, in the appropriate manner.

I regularly travel on both passports. Never a problem.

• Like 1

7by7 - You say that both UK and Thailand allow dual nationality. Is that the case for Thai nationals who acquire UK nationality by naturalisation? My wife wants to do this but we are not sure if Thailand accepts dual nationality in these circumstances. Would she have to give up her Thai passport?

7by7 - You say that both UK and Thailand allow dual nationality. Is that the case for Thai nationals who acquire UK nationality by naturalisation? My wife wants to do this but we are not sure if Thailand accepts dual nationality in these circumstances. Would she have to give up her Thai passport?

No problem. No need to give up anything.
  • Like 1

Some countries have this rule, I understand the USA is another, but Thailand and the UK don't.

But if a Thai who has dual nationality uses their other passport to enter Thailand then they will be treated as a foreigner and have to leave on that passport and be subject to any overstay fines etc..

If a British national who has dual nationality uses their other passport to enter the UK then they will need the appropriate visa etc..

No problem. No need to give up anything.

Indeed.

Roquefort, you may find British citizenship basics helpful.

I stand to be corrected but the UK legally recognises dual nationality , where Thailand tolerates dual nationality but does not "legally" recognise dual citizenship

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Friend Thaksin has managed ok with his Montenegro passport and still has his Thai nationality intact.