Help, advice required as I'm retiring to Thailand

Many Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to me. My wife has now lived in Glasgow for 7 years. I've not been over in Thailand since April '08, although my wife went Thai every year, visiting family.

Although I do not need to sell our Glasgow flat( which is in my name only), to get the finance to satisfy the Thai powers that be, I want to make a clean break and move to Thailand. I'm '' going thro' the motions '' now living in the U.K., I want away. I've lived in a city for 63 years, and I honestly look forward to a quieter village life.

My health is fairly good, The village outside Chaiya Phum has quite a few ex-pats, so I'll '' not be stuck ''. I also want to travel around Thailand a little bit.

,My wife owns land in the village, and my intention is to build a nice home, get a set of wheels, and generally relax and see out my days in the sun.

I'm certainly '' taking on board '' all the advice you're giving me, and will continue to do so.

Can you please fully explain '' THE CHANOTE DEED '' , also the '' 30 YEAR PREPAID LEASE ''.

What is an O/A visa? a non-immigrant '' O '' visa? etc.... it's a wee bit of a '' mine-field '' to me, all the various visas.

Re finance, I'm with Barclays in Glasgow and my intension is to get a letter of introduction from Glasgow and open an A/C with Barclays in Bangkok.

I've some cash in my Bangkok Bank A/C, and my wife also banks with Bangkok Bank..Do Barclays and Bangkok bank '' link '' in Thailand?

My intention is to use internet banking, moving money from Glasgow as reqd.??? I've a small private monthly pension that pays into my Glasgow A/c. Please advice re. what's best for me.

How do I go about getting my state pension when I'm 65?

Does anyone know where the nearest Immigration Office is to Chaiya Phum?

I'll be making a Thai Will as a priority.

Once again, Many Thanks for your continuing advice and help.

Not the nearest, but the one you "belong" to is Khon Kaen... If you need any help or info about Chaiyaphum, plse just ask. I live there in Nong Nasaeng....

Glegolo

Thanks Glegolo,

We'll be living in Non-Mao, a village about 20k. from Non-Buo-Dang.

Many Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to me. My wife has now lived in Glasgow for 7 years. I've not been over in Thailand since April '08, although my wife went Thai every year, visiting family.

Although I do not need to sell our Glasgow flat( which is in my name only), to get the finance to satisfy the Thai powers that be, I want to make a clean break and move to Thailand. I'm '' going thro' the motions '' now living in the U.K., I want away. I've lived in a city for 63 years, and I honestly look forward to a quieter village life.

My health is fairly good, The village outside Chaiya Phum has quite a few ex-pats, so I'll '' not be stuck ''. I also want to travel around Thailand a little bit.

,My wife owns land in the village, and my intention is to build a nice home, get a set of wheels, and generally relax and see out my days in the sun.

I'm certainly '' taking on board '' all the advice you're giving me, and will continue to do so.

Can you please fully explain '' THE CHANOTE DEED '' , also the '' 30 YEAR PREPAID LEASE ''.

What is an O/A visa? a non-immigrant '' O '' visa? etc.... it's a wee bit of a '' mine-field '' to me, all the various visas.

Re finance, I'm with Barclays in Glasgow and my intension is to get a letter of introduction from Glasgow and open an A/C with Barclays in Bangkok.

I've some cash in my Bangkok Bank A/C, and my wife also banks with Bangkok Bank..Do Barclays and Bangkok bank '' link '' in Thailand?

My intention is to use internet banking, moving money from Glasgow as reqd.??? I've a small private monthly pension that pays into my Glasgow A/c. Please advice re. what's best for me.

Not the nearest, but the one you "belong" to is Khon Kaen... If you need any help or info about Chaiyaphum, plse just ask. I live there in Nong Nasaeng....

Glegolo

Thanks Glegolo,

Beutiful up there with the mountains.... we (my friends and I) use to go up there to Nong Bua Daeng (my wifes birthplace) and eat pizza or other nice falangfood.

The trip up there from Chaiyaphum is the best part of it....

Glegolo

ps. I thought you did talk about the city of Chaiyaphum and not the province of Chaiyaphum. So plse take my info about Immigration-office Khon Kaen with a grain of salt....

There is a slight chance that I am wrong about that.....I do however belong to Khon Kaen living in city of Chaiyaphum.

Edited by glegolo

Glegolo

Thanks Glegolo,

Beutiful up there with the mountains.... we (my friends and I) use to go up there to Nong Bua Daeng (my wifes birthplace) and eat pizza or other nice falangfood.

Glegolo

ps. I thought you did talk about the city of Chaiyaphum and not the province of Chaiyaphum. So plse take my info about Immigration-office Khon Kaen with a grain of salt....

There is a slight chance that I am wrong about that.....I do however belong to Khon Kaen living in city of Chaiyaphum.

Cheers Glegola,

When we move to Thailand, I'll catch you for a beer or 2/3/??.

I'm going to watch the football now.

Catch you later... any other advice. re. my '' list ''?

Cheers Glegola,

Many Th

Glegolo

Thanks Glegolo,

Glegolo

Yes, we can PM eachother tomorrow... I think I can be of some help for you. and SURE beer or GTis nice.

Glegolo

Get a Non_Imm O from Glasgow, that will give you 3 months/90 days.

Ask for a multiple if you can, lasts a year and gives you more time with border runs or a trip out of the country every 90 days.

You need to get a bank account in Thailand and get 800k baht on deposit soon after arriving.

(Married you can do an extension based on that for 400k, but if you got 800k, easier!)

The plan being to get a retirement extension when the visa is near expiration.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Ask for a multiple if you can, lasts a year and gives you more time with border runs or a trip out of the country every 90 days.

You need to get a bank account in Thailand and get 800k baht on deposit soon after arriving.

(Married you can do an extension based on that for 400k, but if you got 800k, easier!)

Good luck.

Many Thanks Jacko

Good luck.

Many Thanks Jacko

Hello again Jacko,

I'm not the greatest on the pc., hence I don't know how to pm you.

Please look out for my posts as time goes on.

Once again.. Many Thanks

Cheers Glegola,

Many Th

Glegolo

Thanks Glegolo,

Glegolo

Yes, we can PM eachother tomorrow... I think I can be of some help for you. and SURE beer or GTis nice.

Glegolo

Glegolo, I'm not the greatest on the pc..... I don't know how to pm you

Good luck.

Many Thanks Jacko

Hello again Jacko,

I'm not the greatest on the pc., hence I don't know how to pm you.

Please look out for my posts as time goes on.

Once again.. Many Thanks

Many many experts on this Forum on visas etc.

You will get plenty of good quality feedback, and there are old threads that describe the processes.

There is even an option of arriving in Thailand as a regular tourist and converting the stamp to a visa and a Non-Imm O 'in-country'... in order to get a retirement extension.

I used to live here on Non-Imm O visas I obtained from the Hull consulate, then changed to a retirement extension after a few years to reduce the need for 'Visa-Run' trips every 90 days. They have tightened up on issuance of these visas in the UK now, I believe all requiring approval in London.

Edited by jacko45k

What is an O/A visa? a non-immigrant '' O '' visa? etc.... it's a wee bit of a '' mine-field '' to me, all  the various visas.

Re finance,  I'm with Barclays in Glasgow and my intension is to get a letter of introduction from Glasgow and open an A/C with Barclays in Bangkok. 

I've some cash in my Bangkok Bank A/C, and my wife also banks with  Bangkok Bank..Do Barclays and Bangkok bank '' link '' in Thailand?

My intention is to use internet banking, moving money from Glasgow as reqd.??? I've a small private monthly pension that pays into my Glasgow A/c. Please advice re. what's best for me.  

I think you missed my post here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/687790-Help,-advice-required-as-I'm-retiring-to-Thailand#entry7141898

I gave you info about getting a non immigrant O visa at the consulate in Glasgow.

The OA visa is for retirement and would have to be applied for at the embassy in London. Info here: http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

I think you will find it easier to transfer funds directly to your bank account here. You can also have transfers done through Bangkok banks London branch. Info: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUK/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

• Like 1

I agree with many of the posts above. Don't sell your house! The land ownership laws here are totally against you, so why bother? I have a house in the UK, been living in Thailand for ten years (married for six), and still have no intention of selling there and buying here. Besides, the rent from your property at home could get you a lovely place here, without the worry of giving everything to your spouse. Good luck!

Remember she will be closer to her family, which you will feel like a walking ATM machine. Be nice, be kind, but if you go over board your stay maybe short lived. Enjoy your retirement in Thailand, it is a great place but watch what you spend your hard earnt money on. Rent everything for the first year until you know if and where you fit in :)

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Op writes:

I'm with Barclays in Glasgow and my intension is to get a letter of introduction from Glasgow and open an A/C with Barclays in Bangkok.

-Well was not aware until now that Barclays had a branch in BKK.

And just my opinion, but you may want to consider opening an account with Barclays Offshore. There are benefits.

Plus an account as you have already with a Thai bank such as Bangkok Bank.

Depending on your financial requirements, if you don't want to bring money to Thailand for a while you could get an O/A visa there The money could remain in your bank and you could transfer as required. With a 1 year O/A you get 1 year to stay on each entry and if you make an entry on the last day the visa is valid you get another year effectively getting 2 years from the 1 year visa. If you do this a medical checkup and police clearance are required, they are not if you do the 1 year extension of a Non-O in Thailand.

You will already be in Thailand when you apply for your annual extension and you will not need a medical or UK Police report.

You will need a medical cert for Thai a driving licence though. I get mine for Thb60, signed and stamped by the receptionist at the local clinic without ever seeing a doctor. One of the many things a Thai wife is useful for.

I would advise holding on to your UK property for a few years if you are financially able to do so.

Oh, and check the expiry date on your UK driving licence. I almost got caught out on that one.

If you are currently working, a letter of request from your company will get you a second passport, well worth having.

Don't remember if I mentioned before but get plastic laminated copies of your passport made in the UK or when you get here.

Carry one of those around in Thailand and not the real thing.

Banking? Barclays are not here.

You can't open a personal account with Bangkok Bank in London. I have my Barclays Jersey make direct transfers to Bangkok Bank in Bangkok, expensive though, I read on this forum that Halifax seem about the cheapest, but they always arrive same day. After which, online transfers are instant, 24/7/365, unlike the UK where you can only make transfers during banking hours.

Make sure the transfer is made in £GBP, $USD or whatever. You will always get a better exchange rate at this end. There aren't too many Thai Baht floating around in Europe so the banks can't get a good exchange rate. The opposite here where a lot of people, and banks, are always wanting $ and £.

Good luck and PM if I can give you any advice.

Incidentally,I should add I have no business interests whatsoever in Thailand.

Depending on your financial requirements, if you don't want to bring money to Thailand for a while you could get an O/A visa there The money could remain in your bank and you could transfer as required. With a 1 year O/A you get 1 year to stay on each entry and if you make an entry on the last day the visa is valid you get another year effectively getting 2 years from the 1 year visa. If you do this a medical checkup and police clearance are required, they are not if you do the 1 year extension of a Non-O in Thailand.

You will already be in Thailand when you apply for your annual extension and you will not need a medical or UK Police report.

You will need a medical cert for Thai a driving licence though. I get mine for Thb60, signed and stamped by the receptionist at the local clinic without ever seeing a doctor. One of the many things a Thai wife is useful for.

I would advise holding on to your UK property for a few years if you are financially able to do so.

Oh, and check the expiry date on your UK driving licence. I almost got caught out on that one.

If you are currently working, a letter of request from your company will get you a second passport, well worth having.

Don't remember if I mentioned before but get plastic laminated copies of your passport made in the UK or when you get here.

Carry one of those around in Thailand and not the real thing.

Banking? Barclays are not here.

You can't open a personal account with Bangkok Bank in London. I have my Barclays Jersey make direct transfers to Bangkok Bank in Bangkok, expensive though, I read on this forum that Halifax seem about the cheapest, but they always arrive same day. After which, online transfers are instant, 24/7/365, unlike the UK where you can only make transfers during banking hours.

Make sure the transfer is made in £GBP, $USD or whatever. You will always get a better exchange rate at this end. There aren't too many Thai Baht

floating around in Europe so the banks can't get a good exchange rate. The opposite here where a lot of people, and banks, are always wanting $ and £.

Good luck and PM if I can give you any advice.

Incidentally,I should add I have no business interests whatsoever in Thailand.

I shouldn´t talking too much about thai baht floating around in small amounts and european banks..... I and many with me thought that the case is like you describe.

But we found out hardhanded here in Sweden that we were WRONG BIG TIME......

The banks (at least the swedish ones) are buying on the so called Spotmarket thai baht and therefore getting a really high rate. So for the last 3 years we in Sweden do ALWAYS transfer our money in thaicurrency and NOT in our own currency..... So I should advice if needed, that you REALLY CHECK IT UP before sending anymore GBP or EURO to Thailand instead of thaibaht...

Furthermore if anybody interested.....ALL transfers from Sweden ALWAYS goes directly to Bangkok Bank and they transfer it further to the bank of your choice, but NOT before they charge at least 200 baht for each transfered amount and than YOUR bank will charge at least another 150 baht or more just to put it into your account....

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

Malagateddy, may I kindly advice you to get hold on the book “Retiring in Thailand” by Sunisa Wongdee Terlecky & Philip Bryce, Paiboon Publishinh, ISBN 9781887521796. You can probably buy it from Amazon, else you can try info at www.paiboonpublishing.com. That book may answer at lot of questions, including leasing and building a house.

Another interesting book by Philip Bryce, if you are going to build a house, is “How to Buy Land and Buils a House in Thailand”, also Paiboon, ISBN 1-887521-71-2.

As I’m not from Britain, but Denmark, I can only give input and inspiration for some of your questions.

Chanote & Lease:

There are many levels of Deeds in Thailand, the top level being Chanote. With that paper you (or rather your wife) owns the land. Any lease longer than 3 years have to be registered at the Land Department to be legal, and no lease longer than 30 years can be registered. When a lease is registered a tax (I think it’s 1 per cent) of the whole leasing income shall be paid. Another option is Usufruct, which gives you the right to use the land as long as you live. No tax and only a small fee (some few hundred baht) have to be paid at the Land Department when registered on the deed. Many deed in villages are not Chanote, but of lower state (by time all may be upgraded to Chanote) where land for example can only be transferred within a family – however I think you may still be able to make Lease Agreement or Usufruct .

The reason for making a lease contract or Usufruct is to protect your investment in worst-case scenario. You can own a house, but not the land, however you will not receive any kind of documentation of ownership if you are the builder of the house. In that case you shall make sure your name is on the architect drawings and your name is on the building permission from the Amphor (Government district office). Furthermore you shall keep all bills and money transfers as well, best if all are issued with your name on. However protecting investment in a house in wife’s village may not include, that you wish to stay there close to ex-family, should something go wrong. The books I’ve mentioned gives you more details and there are also some treads at this Forum about it, with lots of comment with various views.

Bank:

I use Bangkok Bank, easy to open an account. I transfer money from my Danish bank to Bangkok Bank via my Internet Banking, which is both cheap and fast (fixed fee around 4 GBP and 3 to 4 banking days). I pay only Danish bank fee and forward all other fees to the receiving bank (Bangkok Bank), as they will always deduct some small fees (a few hundred bath on for example 50k bath). Some recommend other banks, for example it has been said that Kasikorn Bank has a slightly better exchange rate, but one day longer transfer time. I always transfer in my home country currency, as you may get a better exchange rate from the Thai bank than in your home bank. If your are going to transfer larger amounts (equivalent to 20,000 USD or more), for example when building a house, always ask you Thai bank for a form to have it registered, as you may be able to transfer the same amount of Thailand again, should that be ever be needed.

Will:

If you have left any assets behind in Britain, you will need a British will to deal with that. It is recommended to make a Thai will for your Thai assets only, that is quite good described in the book “Thai Law for Foreigners” (page 77-86) by the Thai lawers Benjawan Poomsan Becker & Roengsak Thongkaew, Paiboon, ISB 978-1-887521-57-4. You don’t need a lawyer to make a legal Thai will. There may also be informative treads about it at this Forum.

Wish you good luck in LOS. smile.png

• Like 2

Good luck.

Everything here is about personal opinion.

This a HUGE step you are taking to actually settle in Thailand and it is 100% different from visiting as a tourist (or as I originally did for 2 months at a time)

I would recommend a multiple entry Non Imm O visa and take the opportunity to travel around.Thailand and also go out every 90 days to visit Angkor Wat, Pakse in Laos etc, etc Take time to find your feet and don't burn all your bridges with the UK.

I have no intention of returning to the UK but I have a correspondence address and a number of bank accounts. Open a local bank account in Thailand and transfer in Sterling as and when funds are required. Halifax bank at GBP 9.50 is good value for a SWIFT transfer.

At the earliest opportunity drop the phrase "That's only a Fiver back home". No it isn't, it is 250 Baht and will buy a decent meal or a days labour from some people. Adjust to the prices and understand that you can build a nice 150 sqm house for under 2m Baht.

Why do you need a Thai Will ? I am not saying that you won't but what assets do you expect to have in Thailand and who do you expect to leave them to ?

You can claim your state pension when 65 and by claiming in Thailand the amount will be frozen at that date i.e. you will not qualify for annual cost of living rises. Pay it direct to Thailand if you wish - a Bangkok Bank account may be best in that respect.

Op writes:

I'm with Barclays in Glasgow and my intension is to get a letter of introduction from Glasgow and open an A/C with Barclays in Bangkok.

And just my opinion, but you may want to consider opening an account with Barclays Offshore. There are benefits.

I see no benefit in the OP opening an offshore account. There are, in fact, distinct disadvantages come the time of death re probate.

I would be happy for you to correct me on this.

Keeping the Barclays account gives you the option of transferring online to Bangkok Bank in London by BACS and they will will transfer next day to your Thai account.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/bangkokbank/personalbanking/dailybanking/transferingfunds/transferringintothailand/receivingfundsfromuk/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

Do not sell your flat in Glasgow unless you choose to need the money - wait to see how you settle in Thailand. You have the option to rent it out and the income will give a better return than any deposit account. This will tie your domicility to the UK but that is just a word, you will be non resident by virtue of spending 6 months+ out of the UK.

If you like the idea of Premium Bonds buy some now while you are in the UK. These are easy to buy and sell online and up to GBP 30k can be used as a sort of cash reserve. Not a great return but fun, very liquid and easy to transact. A bugger to buy once you have left.

I have read some fine words about chanotes, usufructs, house ownership etc. All these are LEGALLY correct. However, implementing a legal judgement in Thailand is not so easy. Think about it - who is going to buy a house that is sitting on the land owned by (a then "ex") wife or MiL.

I prefer the adage "what you spend in Thailand stays in Thailand" or " Don't spend any more in Thailand than you are prepared to lose in Thailand". These comments are true in the significant majority of cases.

Thailand is a wonderful place to retire to. I did it 5 years ago when I was 10 years younger than you. Try to plan what you will do here. Are you ready to do "nothing" - what does nothing mean to you ? If not, what will fill your day ? It certainly will not be conversing with your wife or other Thais. Think about that carefully - anywhere away from what was home for 63 years can be a lonely place.

Good luck. Jump in - the water is warm smile.png

Op writes:

I see no benefit in the OP opening an offshore account. There are, in fact, distinct disadvantages come the time of death re probate.

Yes, I actually still do have one but it is a carry-over from many years ago.

The one bank I hear is advantageous in that regard is HSBC.... where a Thai account and a UK Premier account can be used to transfer monies.

But I manage without such an arrangement. It may surprise someone coming over from the UK but the Thai banks can be very efficient and accommodating..... they make great use of internet, mobile and other modern approaches. AND offer better interest rates.

Op writes:

The one bank I hear is advantageous in that regard is HSBC.... where a Thai account and a UK Premier account can be used to transfer monies.

But I manage without such an arrangement. It may surprise someone coming over from the UK but the Thai banks can be very efficient and accommodating..... they make great use of internet, mobile and other modern approaches. AND offer better interest rates.

I thought HSBC pulled out of Bangkok earlier this year - and the Premier service with it.

Op writes:

I thought HSBC pulled out of Bangkok earlier this year - and the Premier service with it.

You might well be right there... .....over a year ago to Ayudhya PLC. I had forgotten.

Scratch that!

Standard Chartered Bank still have a bank here I believe.