One dead as Phuket visa-run minibus hits bike in Malaysia

Lite Beer

One dead as Phuket visa-run minibus hits bike in Malaysia

1386659847_1.jpg
The badly damaged front of the bus after it smashed into the motorbike. Photo: Dmitriy Kolot

PHUKET: A visa-run minibus on its way from Phuket to Penang yesterday morning (December 9) smashed into a motorbike in Malaysia, killing the rider.

Neither the driver of the minibus nor any of the nine passengers from the US and various European countries was seriously injured, but the bus itself was badly damaged.

The smash took place at kilometre 106 of the main Lebuhraya Utara-Selatan Highway, just north of Penang.

Dmitriy Kolot from the Ukraine told Malaysian police that he was asleep in the front passenger seat of the minibus when he was jolted violently awake and found himself covered in granules of glass. He received scratches and bruises to his left hand and right leg.

In his statement to police, a copy of which was obtained by The Phuket News’ sister Russian-language publication Novosti Phuketa, Mr Kolot said, “I don’t know [what happened] because I was asleep … The driver [named in the report as Atthaphol Prakongsuk] stopped the van and asked me what happened. I said I didn’t know.”

Mr Kolot added that the driver had earlier been hitting speeds of 110 to 120 kmh, sitting in the fast lane and flashing at slower vehicles to move out of the way.

Talking with Novosti Phuketa, Mr Kolot said, “The driver had been walking around the van for five minutes and only after that went back along the road and learned that he’d hit a motorcyclist. He came back in deep shock.”

The visa run company, KBV, provided another minibus and driver to take the passengers on to Penang. The driver of the crashed minibus was arrested by Malaysian police.

KBV visa run company owner Peeyagon Adeetepwalankul was reluctant to speak about the crash, but told The Phuket News she was confident the driver was not drink-driving or under the influence of drugs at the time of the crash because this would be against company policy.

She said it was also company policy that drivers got enough sleep before driving, so were not tired on a long trip.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/one-dead-as-phuket-visa-run-minibus-hits-bike-in-malaysia-43343.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-12-10

It took the driver 5 mins to realize that he has hit a motorcycle....seriously can't imagine that. Wonder what the driver was doing all the while he was driving....full concentration on the road with his eyes shut?

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Mr Kolot added that the driver had earlier been hitting speeds of 110 to 120 kmh, sitting in the fast lane and flashing at slower vehicles to move out of the way.

I seem to recall that flashing one's lights in Malaysia means that you are letting the other vehicle go first. It isn't normal for foreign drivers in foreign-registered vehicles to flash at the natives aggressively in any case since they have to adjust to the local style of driving.

Malaysians are some of the saner South-East Asian drivers.

Just looking at the tag on the van, it does not appear that the owner of same taged it for commercial use (yellow tag) Wonder if it was under insured as many are? If these 2 items are not deemed important by the owner, I doubt that many other rules will be followed, including driver rules..

"she was confident the driver was not drink-driving or under the influence of drugs at the time of the crash because this would be against company policy."

Presumably other companies recommend their drivers to be drunk and high....

And I wonder also if it is company policy to smash into motorcycles. Mrs Mouthpiece did not say it was against company policy or have one word of sympathy or regret for the poor sod on the bike.

Well par for the course then, nowhere can I see any indication in the OP or the article referred to in the

OP that in any way implicates the driver, but the TV highway patrol seen and know exactly what happened.

What an utter bunch of crap.

I have worked and lived in Malaysia in the past for 14 years and believe me Malaysian drivers are as bad

if not worse than Thai drivers, it would not surprise me one little bit if some idiot came shooting out of a side

road right in front of the van driver, but as I was not there and have nothing to base my guessing on I will

have to wait and see if the facts actually reveal themselves in due course, may I suggest that you bunch of

speculating factless idiots try the same. thumbsup.gifwai.gif

A ''professional'' driver ''reads'' the road, what ever country they are in............................thumbsup.gif

I was one.........smile.png

Well par for the course then, nowhere can I see any indication in the OP or the article referred to in the

OP that in any way implicates the driver, but the TV highway patrol seen and know exactly what happened.

What an utter bunch of crap.

I have worked and lived in Malaysia in the past for 14 years and believe me Malaysian drivers are as bad

if not worse than Thai drivers, it would not surprise me one little bit if some idiot came shooting out of a side

road right in front of the van driver, but as I was not there and have nothing to base my guessing on I will

have to wait and see if the facts actually reveal themselves in due course, may I suggest that you bunch of

speculating factless idiots try the same. thumbsup.gifwai.gif

A ''professional'' driver ''reads'' the road, what ever country they are in............................thumbsup.gif

I was one.........smile.png

No argument from me there Trans, but we are hardly talking about professionals here, are we??

Still say that without the actual facts speculation helps nothing or no one. But why would the TV

detectives ever need such useless thing as the facts eh? sad.png

If he did not know what he hit, his eyes were wide shut. So I would guess that while it is company policy to get

enough sleep he probably did not. One thing more anyone who has driven vans long distance knows nothing makes

a driver more sleepy than everyone else in the van is sleeping. It really is contagious.

Wouldn't it make more sense in a number of ways for the Thai Government to change the rules. Why make Farangs do these border runs. We would all much rather go to our nearest Immigration Centre and pay the Thai Government the same amount of money that we would have to pay for to do the border runs. 1500 - 4000 Baht( 4000 Baht booking a flight). The Thai Goverment would earn more money. We would save time and not have to risk our lives by getting in these dodgy minibuses. It makes sense all round. I would happily pay 3000 Baht if it meant not having to do a border run. What do you guys think???

• Like 1

Just looking at the tag on the van, it does not appear that the owner of same taged it for commercial use (yellow tag) Wonder if it was under insured as many are? If these 2 items are not deemed important by the owner, I doubt that many other rules will be followed, including driver rules..

Difficult to see the color of the plate numerals but it seems blue numeral. It is correct for private commercial vehicule carrying more than 7 passengers.

School, private compagnies, trekking compagnies should use those plates with blue numerals if more than 7 passengers.

The big yellow one are for vehicule carrying paying passenger and can be seen on minivan and buses used as public transport ( they sell tickets for the bus ride)

post-92454-0-66606800-1386731946.jpg

post-92454-0-46571600-1386732003.jpg

• Like 1

Difficult to see the color of the plate numerals but it seems blue numeral. It is correct for private commercial vehicule carrying more than 7 passengers.

School, private compagnies, trekking compagnies should use those plates with blue numerals if more than 7 passengers.

The big yellow one are for vehicule carrying paying passenger and can be seen on minivan and buses used as public transport ( they sell tickets for the bus ride)

For all commercial purposes, so that includes trekking companies and visaruns, the plates should be yellow with black lettering. I doubt slapout's statement about 'many being underinsured' though.

Wouldn't it make more sense in a number of ways for the Thai Government to change the rules. Why make Farangs do these border runs. We would all much rather go to our nearest Immigration Centre and pay the Thai Government the same amount of money that we would have to pay for to do the border runs. 1500 - 4000 Baht( 4000 Baht booking a flight). The Thai Goverment would earn more money. We would save time and not have to risk our lives by getting in these dodgy minibuses. It makes sense all round. I would happily pay 3000 Baht if it meant not having to do a border run. What do you guys think???

As long as you have to have 800,000 in the bank the same as those of us on longer stay visas.

As long as you have to have 800,000 in the bank the same as those of us on longer stay visas.

And over age 50

Fantastic Idea. With Idea's like that you sure to get a job working for the Thai Government.

Fantastic Idea. With Idea's like that you sure to get a job working for the Thai Government.
Just meet the requirements and you don't have to do visaruns.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Id love to hear that phone call. Sorry boss, I cant come to work today because I was unable to get enough sleep last night and I would not wish to go to work tired and consequently breach company policy. Dont worry, im not drunk or high, just sleepy. Bye.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1