Suthep to meet military top brass tomorrow (Thursday)

Lite Beer

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Suthep says top brass ready to talk
PANYA THIOSANGWAN,
ANAPAT DEECHUAY
The Nation

30221891-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- SUTHEP THAUGSUBAN, secretary-general of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), said last night he may meet with top military and police brass today as they had accepted his request, if the meeting is approved by the supreme commander, whom he also wants to meet.

The anti-government protest leader said he had, yesterday afternoon, requested to meet the supreme commander and commanders of the Army, Navy and Air Force as well as the commissioner-general of the National Police. In his speech last night, he said he had been trying to reach Supreme Commander General Tanasak Patimapragorn all day but in vain.

Suthep said he would wait until 8pm today and would not push for a meeting. He also cited his phone conversation with police chief General Adul Saengsingkaew, saying the police chief had agreed to meet him today though the venue and time had not been decided upon.

Also yesterday, Suthep said the PDRC planned to make its stance clear and propose solutions and objectives for political reform, and also give the five military and police officers a chance to ask about the PDRC's plans so they can decide whether to side with the general public and PDRC supporters.

The PDRC is also seeking a similar meeting, at an unspecified time and date, with representatives of the private sector, mainly professional regulatory bodies and civil society, to discuss its objectives and its stance on non-violence, peace, tolerance, openness and an unarmed campaign to free Thai politics of corruption and abuse of power.

Meanwhile, caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said she was hoping the military would stay neutral politically and abide by His Majesty's speech on December 5 calling all sides to serve their duties. "If everything is run under rules and regulations, I believe all government officials will obey them," she added.

Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha has earlier called on all Thais to observe the rule of law and principles to bring an end to these perennial political conflicts, deputy Army spokesman Colonel Winthai Suvaree said.

"The best way is to find a path that everyone can move along together, bridge the political divide. In reality, people win some and lose some. We have to strike a balance and find a middle path that all sides can accept," Winthai quoted Prayuth as saying.

Prayuth is concerned that as civic groups and the public and private sectors are split over how to break through the current political impasse, they cannot strive towards a real solution if they fiercely believe in their own scenario.

"If this situation can be eased quickly, people can go back home and make a living as well as develop the country. The military will also carry out its duty," Prayuth was quoted as saying.

Generals Prayuth, Prawit Wongsuwan and Anupong Paochinda had not spoken to Suthep and saw no reason for dialogue as the military knows its own role, Winthai said.

Prayuth has been very cautious in his support to help tackle the country's political crisis by not injecting his personal opinions and urging all parties to avoid breaking the law and resorting to violence or confrontation, he added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-12

No, but the 12 million people who voted in the current government probably don't want Suthep?

On a point of fact (sigh), 15.7 million voted for PTP in the 2011 election

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_general_election,_2011

and then the usual political tarts, the minor parties led by dinosaurs, took their places at the trough in coalition. wink.png

Corruption in Thailand is out of control it is affecting the development of Thais via an horrendous education system that cant be funded properly and the Country is having massive problems to develop above its 3rd world status …

The problem is not getting corruption out of politics (it will take time) ..BUT who is going to get it out of the military ????

Corruption in Thailand is out of control it is affecting the development of Thais via an horrendous education system that cant be funded properly and the Country is having massive problems to develop above its 3rd world status …

The problem is not getting corruption out of politics (it will take time)  ..BUT who is going to get it out of the military ????

The first step to get rid of corruption in the armed services is get rid of national service and maintain a much smaller but professional military.

All you have now is a massive force purely there to serve their masters, the generals.

Many are given the option not to serve their national service on condition that their pay is passed on up the chain of command.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Bangkok Post has just posted a story saying that senior military leaders will not meet Suthep because it would very dangerous to be seen taking sides.

Next?

Obvious bullshit.

Dangerous to be seen taking sides?? That never stopped them in the past.

"To be seen taking sides".. So they'll have a secret meeting then.

Edited by ricku

The Bangkok Post has just posted a story saying that senior military leaders will not meet Suthep because it would very dangerous to be seen taking sides.

Next?

Obvious bullshit.

Dangerous to be seen taking sides?? That never stopped them in the past.

I believe he has ordered the police an military to report directly to him and not the government. This little unemployed ex politician seems to think he is running the country

Sounds like Suthep is getting a little desperate, almost pleading for a meeting with the armed forces top brass.

Running out of steam and support is my guess.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well, Suthep still have the Police force top brass to turn too.

He is so keen to see Suthep, and he has specially reverse a room (cell) at the Bangkok Hilton just to show his hospitality.

I am sure Suthep can check out any time he likes, but he can never leaves.

Next?

Obvious bullshit.

Dangerous to be seen taking sides?? That never stopped them in the past.

I believe he has ordered the police an military to report directly to him and not the government.  This little unemployed ex politician seems to think he is running the country 

Actually chooka, old mate has proposed that the police report to the Governors and that the Governors be elected (like in BKK) and not appointed by the Interior Minister.

He hasn't asked them to report to

him..

Army decides NOT to meet Dear Leader - a great decision not to meet the attempted coup leader

oh that's good, he will be able to make it to court on time then and the warrant hanging over his head can be executed at the same time.

And what about his 2 arrest warrants ? Are they only jokes ?

are your buddy Taksins a joke? At least Suthep stays to face whatever comes to him instead of showing a yellow cowards back and running.

I would rather wait, to see what happens on that one!

And by the way: don't you- by now- get the feeling, that he may have backup, which makes him untouchable?

"Suthep Thaugsuban has said that the meeting tomorrow would be significant and could mean a turn of the countrys democracy rule."

"... could mean a turn of the countrys democracy rule."

What on earth is that supposed to mean?

The end of the country's democracy rule. One man one vote was a stupid idea to begin with.

• Like 1

For those outside Bangkok, today's banner headline in the Bangkok Post reads:,MILITARY REFUSES TO MEET SUTHEP.

They really do that? Have different headlines inside and outside Bangkok? That's just...

Well, it's interesting that The Nation ran it's story about a meeting but the military, apparently in a unanimous decision, ruled against any meeting...hence the headline in BP. Is The Nation simply reprinting Suthep's press releases as news.?

• Like 1

yes, the meeting has been cancelled in honor of this continuing thread that now has no point in existing i have decided to overthrow the rules of punctiuation the evil empire of capitol letters, speling, and the dreaded vanguard of tyrant grammarians, being the coma fawlt and period and eclamotion point are ordered to report to my secret wemail adres

i am ordering this corrupt and now ilegitimet governemant to step down and let the em dash and parenthesis take over as a ruling concil

you have 24 ours to comply

• Like 2

I cant help but wonder what Suthep is doing right now. What he is thinking, and how desperate he must be. biggrin.png

I've lost count on all the "dead lines" and ultimatums hes given the government during the last month, and they all failed!

Is he planning to flee the country, or does he still have an ace up his sleeve?

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Edited by ricku

I cant help but wonder what Suthep is doing right now. What he is thinking, and how desperate he must be. biggrin.png

I've lost count on all the "dead lines" and ultimatums hes given the government during the last month, and they all failed!

Is he planning to flee the country, or does he still have an ace up his sleeve?

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Actually he should be in court right now, that is unless he gave the court the bird and told them to shove his case up their rear end.

And you're splitting hairs to enhance your argument...

They were not VOTED in to form government. PTP garnered 48% of the vote. This gave them first bite at the cherry to talk to the other parties to attempt to FORM a Government. I agree that how they formed this coalition is immaterial - shall we let the NACC decide perhaps? Anyway, I digress...

Majority equals 51% of the vote which then gives them the mandate.

Anything less than that, concessions need to be made/paid, backs need to be scratched etc etc to get the job done.

Don't kid yourself sjaak327 the Government does not have the majority, they have an agreement, one which PTP's "coalition" have the freedom to shift around and play favorites. This is not a unique situation specific to Thailand.

You shoudn't kid yourself. It cannot be denied that the government does have a majority, they have 300 out of 500 seats in parliament, now 300=60% which is more than 50%. As said the 5 parties did have over 53% on both the constituenty and proportional votes. Formation of coalition governments is normal practice in almost any democratic country and of course the mandate is calculated based upon the whole coalition, not just one party !

The only out of the ordinairy thing here is that the biggest party achieved a whopping 48% of the popular vote, even more confirming the mandate they did receive. PT achieved these 48% not in a dual party democracy such as the US, but in a multiple party democracy such as Thailand. 48% is an outstanding achievement, certainly considering the second party only received 35% of the votes, which is quite a distance away.

Of course this is all a moot dicussion. As PT alone already received a clear majority in parliament with their 265 seats. Doubts about the mandate of the government are silly as they clearly had a mandate.

Love the way you effortlessly move from PTP receiving a majority of 53% of the votes (incorrect), to the 'whopping" (sounds like Burger King) 48% minority. The way it translates into parliamentary seats looks much more impressive - a real people's mandate! You could be writing for AFP.

As you say - all a moot point, The facts are that PTP have acted illegally, lied, cheated (why on earth cheat when you have such a majority?), refused to answer questions and provide information, and openly cavorted with and took instructions from a convicted criminal. Billions of baht seem to have gone missing and very little has been achieved in 2.5 years. Most effort has been put into trying to find a way to whitewash the crimes and charges against their owner and thinker.

Mandate or not - the people have a right to remove a government that is so corrupt and treats them with such contempt. Remember it's not that long ago PTP were using threats and intimidation to stifle free speech and any adverse comments against them.

I would suggest many of the protesters who came out were people who voted PTP last time. They ain't going to be so easily fooled this time round. The intimidation, bribes, and vote controls applied in the N/NE might not be enough this time - certainly unlikely to be more then the "whopping" 48% !

"Suthep Thaugsuban has said that the meeting tomorrow would be significant and could mean a turn of the countrys democracy rule."

"... could mean a turn of the countrys democracy rule."

What on earth is that supposed to mean?

Change it from 'red democracy' to real democracy, perhaps!!!