Thai pro-government 'Red Shirts' vow election support

webfact

Thai pro-government 'Red Shirts' vow election support

BANGKOK, December 12, 2013 (AFP) - Thai government supporters Wednesday threw their support behind upcoming elections in the crisis-hit nation, warning that calls by opposition protesters to suspend the country's democracy risked "absolute dictatorship".

Bangkok has been shaken by more than a month of mass opposition demonstrations aimed at ousting Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and ridding the kingdom of the influence of her older brother, deposed former leader Thaksin.

On Monday Yingluck called an early election -- set for February 2 -- to try to calm the political turmoil. But opposition leader Suthep Thaugsuban rejected the move, demanding the government step aside in favour of an unelected "people's council".

The Red Shirt protest movement, which is largely loyal to Thaksin, urged people to take part in the vote regardless of which party they support.

"If you choose Suthep's side, you choose absolute dictatorship," Red Shirt leader Nattawut Saikuea said at a press conference Wednesday.

"If you don't accept what Suthep does you must cast a vote -- this is not a mission for the Red Shirts alone, but the entire Thai people," he said.

Thailand has seen several bouts of political turmoil since Thaksin was ousted in a military coup in 2006, with rival protests spilling into the streets in sometimes bloody unrest.

Yingluck said Wednesday she was confident the military would not launch another coup to try to end the political crisis, despite its history of seizing power.

The coup-makers who ousted her older brother Thaksin seven years ago realised that it "doesn't solve any problems", she said.

"I don't think the military will do that again," she told foreign reporters.

Thailand has seen 18 actual or attempted coups since it became a constitutional monarchy in 1932.

But army chief General Prayut Chan-O-Cha said last week problems should be "solved by politics".

The political conflict broadly pits a Bangkok-based middle class and a royalist elite backed by the military against rural and working-class voters loyal to Thaksin.

He lives in self-imposed exile in Dubai to avoid a jail term for corruption that he claims was politically motivated.

But critics say he controls his sister's government behind the scenes.

Parties allied to the tycoon have won every election since 2001, most recently with a landslide victory for Yingluck's Puea Thai in 2011.

Yingluck criticised the protesters for ignoring the voice of her rural supporters.

"I came from the people's election of 16 million votes but nobody listens (to them)," she said.

Suthep is a former deputy prime minister for the opposition Democrat Party, which has been unable to win a parliamentary majority in some two decades.

The rally leader, who faces an arrest warrant for insurrection over the protests, is also due to be indicted on Thursday on a murder charge over a bloody crackdown on Red Shirt protests in 2010.

About 90 people died and nearly 1,900 were wounded in rallies against the then Democrat-led government three years ago, that were broken up by soldiers firing live rounds.

Former Democrat premier Abhisit Vejjajiva is also due to be indicted on the same charge Thursday.

"The Attorney General has been informed by Abhisit's legal team that he will be at court as scheduled," said the chief legal officer's deputy spokesman Watcharin Panurat.

Tensions remain high after several days of street clashes last week when police used tear gas, water cannon and rubber bullets against rock-throwing demonstrators.

The unrest, which saw protesters besiege key government buildings, has left five people dead and more than 200 injured.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-12-12

• Like 1

UDD to launch election campaign

211219-imagejpeg-321660-728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship will launch a publicity campaign with the private sector and other pressure groups to encourage the people to go to the polls on February 2, said UDD co-leader Natthawut Saikua on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, UDD chairwoman Thida Thavornseth condemned the National Anti-Corruption Commission for accepting the impeachment motion filed by the Democrats against 312 senators and MPs who endorsed the draft constitutional amendment on the composition of the Senate which was ruled unconstitutional by the Constitution Court.

Mrs Thida said that the NACC’s action appeared to complement the move by protest leader Suthep Thuagsuban to undermine the government and to force the cancellation of the snap election.

The UDD leader also accused Mr Suthep of being out of his mind for issuing an order instructing all government officials as well as the police to report to the People’s Democratic Reform Committee headed by the former Democrat MP.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/udd-launch-election-campaign/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2013-12-12

• Like 1

UDD pro government rally in Udon..........

post-46292-0-92412100-1386803186_thumb.j

How do you negotiate with terrorists?

"If you choose Suthep's side, you choose absolute dictatorship," Red Shirt leader Nattawut Saikuea said at a press conference Wednesday."

Why would anyone listen to Nattawut the terrorist....

http://youtu.be/jvbUVCopKec Redshirt Ordered to Burn Bangkok (Nattawut Saikua)

Edited by waza
  • Like 2

So Thaksin's paid stooges, the so-called "red leaders" give their relentless support; what a surprise. They should look over their shoulders, and these Judas goats will find a lot of the sheep are voting with their feet.

BTW When things go bad, if their party list number isn't high enough, they are looking at serious jailtime. They will be working very hard to get PTP back in power.

attachicon.gifredshirts Udon.jpg

"If you choose Suthep's side, you choose absolute dictatorship," Red Shirt leader Nattawut Saikuea said at a press conference Wednesday."

Actually Kwanchai's group are not part of the UDD. Thida has labelled him an opportunist and they want nothing to do with him. Those are BB guns no doubt, but nevertheless Kwanchai's group has strong thuggish element who attacked the PAD in 08 (killing one I believe). Just another warning of how things might escalate if Suthep and his backers are determined to go ahead with this 'People's Council' business. As for negotiating with 'terrorists', ever heard of Northern Ireland - to give one example?

This must be about the 1000th time Nattawud's speech has been posted here. It's not like anyone's forgotten. But in any case, it's pretty clear he's talking about in the case of a power seizure by the military. And yes, in the case of a coup, I'd expect a much stronger and more violent reaction than the red shirts than in 2010.

So Thaksin's paid stooges, the so-called "red leaders" give their relentless support; what a surprise. They should look over their shoulders, and these Judas goats will find a lot of the sheep are voting with their feet.

BTW When things go bad, if their party list number isn't high enough, they are looking at serious jailtime. They will be working very hard to get PTP back in power.

Like I said in another thread.

I know 3 people in our extended Thai family who lauded Thaksin and voted PTP, They have since been at the protests and their mind is now changed for good. They will never vote PTP again or any party affiliated with a Shin.

They are not interested in Thaksin's money, it 'has blood on it' and will 'bring bad luck'.

Their words, not mine.

The 'Pressure groups' as stated in the OP have their work cut out, especially as they are going to be the ones distributing the vote buying cash from the Royal Bank of Dubai.

Especially if vote buying is (and it will be) totally clamped down on.

And again the AFP piece less than balanced on several important points.

Agree with you. It seems their articles are becoming more and more unbalanced.

Reading this, you would think the current caretaker government and their red shirt militia are some kind of freedom fighters, trying to prevent a dictatorship. Whereas they were hell bent on implemented their own dictatorship with a crook in charge which is what sparked off most protesters.

I really treat anything from AFP as sympathetic propaganda now - worse than the Guardian!

I would rather have dictatorship under a leader who has vision and leadership and knows how to run the country than have it run by the current bunch of brown nosing fools following the commands of the puppet master fugitive. Actually we are pretty much under a Thaksin dictatorship for the most part as it is, and PT were making moves to solidify that position. That is how this whole protests movement started. But he has shown his only interests is what he can squeeze out of Thailand financially. Remember JFK's famous words 'Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country'. We need a leader who follows this credo and Thailand can shine !

• Like 2

"The political conflict broadly pits a Bangkok-based middle class and a royalist elite backed by the military against rural and working-class voters loyal to Thaksin."

AFP idiots love putting in this line in every article they write about Thailand. Morons don't understand what's really happening but they love to cut and paste that line into their articles anyway.

I would rather have dictatorship under a leader who has vision and leadership and knows how to run the country than have it run by the current bunch of brown nosing fools following the commands of the puppet master fugitive. Actually we are pretty much under a Thaksin dictatorship for the most part as it is, and PT were making moves to solidify that position. That is how this whole protests movement started. But he has shown his only interests is what he can squeeze out of Thailand financially. Remember JFK's famous words 'Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country'. We need a leader who follows this credo and Thailand can shine !

Do you really think Suthep is the dictator" who has vision and leadership and knows how to run the country".

Are you really comparing him to JFK. Do you really think Suthep will put the country first based on his track record?

• Like 2

Always difficult, the USA says it does not negotiate with terrorists. Just look into Iran-Contra. We say we don't but really we do. All the time.

The Germans called the French underground resistance movement "terrorists" most see them as freedom fighters. Nelson Mandela was convicted

of terrorism, and he was guilty. He spent 27 years in jail. He had to get special waiver to travel to the USA in 2008. Yet most, even at the time

view his struggle to end apartheid as just. Terrorism is often a difficult call in the micro view. In the macro view it often changes. Todays

terrorist is tomorrows freedom fighter. Was Nattawut fighting for democracy and trying to topple a government installed by the military?

Let the Thai people choose what they want. Either side, up to them.

• Like 2

Do you really think Suthep is the dictator" who has vision and leadership and knows how to run the country".

Are you really comparing him to JFK. Do you really think Suthep will put the country first based on his track record?

Did you see the name Suthep in what I wrote ? No, neither did I. So stop trying to put words in my mouth twit. But he couldn't really do any worse than the fugitive's cronies have thus far. Besides, Suthep has already said he doesn't want the top spot. Waiting to see who he nominates...I don't mind who it is as long as it is not one of the PT twits.

If Nattawut stated that grass is green, you'd probably disagree on account of him being 'a terrorist'.

Like I said in another thread.

I know 3 people in our extended Thai family who lauded Thaksin and voted PTP, They have since been at the protests and their mind is now changed for good. They will never vote PTP again or any party affiliated with a Shin.

They are not interested in Thaksin's money, it 'has blood on it' and will 'bring bad luck'.

Their words, not mine.

The 'Pressure groups' as stated in the OP have their work cut out, especially as they are going to be the ones distributing the vote buying cash from the Royal Bank of Dubai.

Especially if vote buying is (and it will be) totally clamped down on.

So what? There would be plenty of other people to replace your extended family. The voter turnout in 2011 wasn't particularly high anyway. But there will be many going this time to express their anger at the disruption the protesters have caused over the past few weeks

UDD to launch election campaign

211219-imagejpeg-321660-728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship will launch a publicity campaign with the private sector and other pressure groups to encourage the people to go to the polls on February 2, said UDD co-leader Natthawut Saikua on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, UDD chairwoman Thida Thavornseth condemned the National Anti-Corruption Commission for accepting the impeachment motion filed by the Democrats against 312 senators and MPs who endorsed the draft constitutional amendment on the composition of the Senate which was ruled unconstitutional by the Constitution Court.

Mrs Thida said that the NACC’s action appeared to complement the move by protest leader Suthep Thuagsuban to undermine the government and to force the cancellation of the snap election.

The UDD leader also accused Mr Suthep of being out of his mind for issuing an order instructing all government officials as well as the police to report to the People’s Democratic Reform Committee headed by the former Democrat MP.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/udd-launch-election-campaign/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2013-12-12

I believe that everybody will agree with the last paragraph... Suthep IS indeed out of his mind.

Government officials and police reporting to him? What a pathetic clown.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Where is the intellectual, reflective, self-critical basis?
A party without a body?
One thinks, all other do?

I guess many people up country do not Know,
how much they have lost personally due corruption.
Have really had everybody the same fair share of the 680 billion Baht + X from the rice scheme?
680.000.000.000 Baht?
Normally red policy would say:
Let us modernize with this money all schools and all public hospitals across Thailand.

That is what you/all lost!

You'd think that with all these academics and professional elites they could form a credible and media savvy opposition party - without having to resort to this nonsense which is already causing rifts amongst themselves about the way forward. The ruling party have left themselves wide open time and time again for a well organised opposition party to gain extensive political ground - and thereby put themselves in a stronger position at the next (real) general election - but no, let's all blow whistles and throw our tantrums and make demands without providing any real solutions.

I feel better now, rant over

You'd think that with all these academics and professional elites they could form a credible and media savvy opposition party - without having to resort to this nonsense which is already causing rifts amongst themselves about the way forward. The ruling party have left themselves wide open time and time again for a well organised opposition party to gain extensive political ground - and thereby put themselves in a stronger position at the next (real) general election - but no, let's all blow whistles and throw our tantrums and make demands without providing any real solutions. I feel better now, rant over

In a flash, it was announced that YL is the No.1 candidate in the next election.

Was there a party congress between?

Was there a vote/referendum within the party about it?

You know the answer?

If Nattawut stated that grass is green, you'd probably disagree on account of him being 'a terrorist'.

But he's not usually stating that, is he? Instead he's telling us how great the rice pledging scheme is going, and all the G2G sales they've made. So when he tells us the grass is green, I ask myself "How long since it rained?"

• Like 1

"UDD pro government rally in Udon..........

Always difficult, the USA says it does not negotiate with terrorists. Just look into Iran-Contra. We say we don't but really we do. All the time.

The Germans called the French underground resistance movement "terrorists" most see them as freedom fighters. Nelson Mandela was convicted

of terrorism, and he was guilty. He spent 27 years in jail. He had to get special waiver to travel to the USA in 2008. Yet most, even at the time

view his struggle to end apartheid as just. Terrorism is often a difficult call in the micro view. In the macro view it often changes. Todays

terrorist is tomorrows freedom fighter. Was Nattawut fighting for democracy and trying to topple a government installed by the military?

Let the Thai people choose what they want. Either side, up to them."

Actually I find it pretty easy to determine who is a terrorist and who isn't, it an individual or group deliberately inspires terror in civilians and uses terror as a weapon. then they are terrorists. The French underground targeted the German military personnel and supply lines, they were freedom fighters. Sutheps group targets the Thai government through peacefull protests, they are protestors. The redshirt target anyone who is not a redshirt and act with violence, intimidation and terror, the are terrorist. Nattawut and the other red leader weren't at war with the democratically elected Thai government yet they used, paramilitary, weapons of war, arson, ect ect. They targeted civilians, shopping malls and media there is no justification for that.

Nattawut lost all credibility with his hate speeches in 2009, 2010 and has continued this trend with his threats during the anti-government protests. He is on bail from terrorist charges, he is not a fit person to hold public office. So yes if this terrorist says the grass is green he is more likely saying, if you don't do what I want you will be fertilising the grass.

Edited by waza

"The political conflict broadly pits a Bangkok-based middle class and a royalist elite backed by the military against rural and working-class voters loyal to Thaksin."

AFP idiots love putting in this line in every article they write about Thailand. Morons don't understand what's really happening but they love to cut and paste that line into their articles anyway.

Agreed, there seems to be a bias here, intentional or merely through ignorance ? wink.png

They ignore that the people who turned-out, on the streets of Bangkok & many other towns, were not merely the elite ... unless there a million-plus elite here ?

They also ignore the many rural-people in the South & the working-class urban-poor in Bangkok, and seem to fail to see that both main parties are regionally-based, neither has national coverage.

They need to refine & re-think their basic stance IMO.

They also need to be slightly more cynical, about crooked politicians, who wrap themselves in the flag or claim only to want to help 'the poor'.