Thai editorial: Is transparent, graft-free politics too much to ask?

webfact

"Protests of this size in the capital are rare."

Especially if you don't count the UDD demonstrations of 2010, the PAD in 2008, the pre coup protests of 2006, and none of the protests that seem to happened every few years in previous decades.

• Like 2

The red shirts and PT will argue that it is indeed too much to ask. They will argue implicitly that because the majority of voters elect corrupt politicians who abuse power for their own family interests, ruin the economy and rule in an authoritarian manner, that is what is exactly what the country wants and the minority just has to suck it up.

On the other hand, they perhaps need to reflect on why Suthep, who until about a month ago was indentified in most people's minds as having the same corrupt, self-serving objectives in life as them, has struck a chord in the minds of millions of Thais who are no longer prepared to tolerate the Shinawatra dynasty in Thai politics. There seems to be a real hunger for reform in the political system, and the administrative system of the country, particularly decentralisatin of provincial administration and, above all else, decentralisation and control over the appallingly low quality national police force. They recognise that all of these things need to be reformed to bring Thailand's political, social and economic development into the 21st century and create a competitive economy that can create opportunities for all Thais in the coming decades. Suthep, for all his obvious flaws, has articulated these aspirations clearly for them and is the only person in the country crazy enough to put his balls on the wire to lead this unconventional movement. He also has the advantage of knowing all the politicians' wrinkles and where many of the skeletons are buried.

It would be a huge mistake for PT, its red shirts and their equally madcap sponsor overseas to imagine that these aspirations will simply go away after another election has ostensibly endorsed, corruption. abuse of power and authoritarianism all over again.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

"Protests of this size in the capital are rare."

Especially if you don't count the UDD demonstrations of 2010, the PAD in 2008, the pre coup protests of 2006, and none of the protests that seem to happened every few years in previous decades.

Chavalit threw in the towel in 1997 after a lunch hour demonstration by 300 secretaries in Silom Road.

Hope for all future budgeting processes they make it compulsory for all future governments, that
- the use of money for project proposals are accurately represented in detail and on the last baht.
- the use of money for project proposals is described in detail for all people publicly documented and visible
- Public monthly or quarterly reports on Finance and project progresses.
- Public invitation for project proposals and at least three competitive compare offers.
- Project completion reports including all expenses with receipts.
- a strong supervisory committee composed of members is formed by all parties,
to control the entire investment process without disabilities and time delay restrictions. The results of the process and progress checks are presented to the parliament. The members of the supervisory body should rotate so that corruption is impossible.
When public funds are used, then the public has the right to see what the representatives of the people plan to do with the money and how it was used.
and
Follow and implements the laws.
Equal rights for all.
No immunity for criminals.
Give all murders, thieves and corrupt people a fair legal proceeding.
And if they are sentenced to prison then they should also serve their time there.
A good start would be to revoke her brother's passport and to request extradition,
because he is a convicted criminal by law. And that he gives commands to the government bodys is obvious.
An untenable situation and has nothing to do with democracy.
At the same time also Suthep should receive his court process.
After that, the remaining 25,000 corruption cases must swiftly brought to a conclusion.
  • Like 2

Great article but I am not sure the protesters are marching to eliminate corruption. They are on one side or the other Yellow or Red.

They want the other side to end corruption in its ranks. They want there side to get into/retain power so they can benefit.

From the last pole I read 70% of Thais believe corruption is OK as long as it benefits them. From the rice pledging scheme and other

farm produce subsidy schemes to the car tax rebate scheme, these policy's do not benefit the country as a whole but groups of people

and industries. Suthep as leader is no bastion of honesty and integrity. If both groups were marching together I would believe the article.

As it is I believe the article is a pipe dream at the moment.

Great article but I am not sure the protesters are marching to eliminate corruption. They are on one side or the other Yellow or Red.

They want the other side to end corruption in its ranks. They want there side to get into/retain power so they can benefit.

From the last pole I read 70% of Thais believe corruption is OK as long as it benefits them. From the rice pledging scheme and other

farm produce subsidy schemes to the car tax rebate scheme, these policy's do not benefit the country as a whole but groups of people

and industries. Suthep as leader is no bastion of honesty and integrity. If both groups were marching together I would believe the article.

Actually, they really are marching to eliminate corruption. The current protesters are not necessarily yellow shirts. And they are not 100% in support of Suthep.

• Like 1

Actually, they really are marching to eliminate corruption. The current protesters are not necessarily yellow shirts. And they are not 100% in support of Suthep.

I got the same impression, it was told me by (Thai) friends who still go to those demonstrations, they don't want Suthep to rule they want an framework so the government cant be that corrupt anymore. Does not mean all protestors think the same there are so many different factions but they certainly don't all want a dictatorship most want a strong framework so whatever government comes (ok they some prefer a non red government) cant be too corrupt.

• Like 1

You are way out of line on that one.

There are some who identify with one group or other whether it be Dems or anything else but the vast majority are there because they want the system cleaned up and most of them see what should be obvious to anyone that the PT Govt with Thaksin in charge, "Thaksin thinks PT acts" are well on the path to destroying this country for their own gain.

They are against Yingluck and the Shin clan because they happen to be the ones that are at present ripping the system off. It would be exactly the same if it were anyone else doing what they are doing,

I cant see how you work out that the ordinary people who are there are going to benefit if either side gains, retains, power.

They only way these people can gain is if the system is cleaned up to prevent the abuse of power and the corruption by whoever is in power.

That is what they are there fighting for, a fair and balanced system that treats everyone fairly and has in place checks and balances that force whoever is in power to act for the good of the country and the people.

Note "To force whoever is in power"

They are not saying, as you suggest, that we want them out so we can get in there and be the ones ripping the country off.

• Like 2

Hope for all future budgeting processes they make it compulsory for all future governments, that

- the use of money for project proposals are accurately represented in detail and on the last baht.

- the use of money for project proposals is described in detail for all people publicly documented and visible

- Public monthly or quarterly reports on Finance and project progresses.

- Public invitation for project proposals and at least three competitive compare offers.

- Project completion reports including all expenses with receipts.

- a strong supervisory committee composed of members is formed by all parties,

to control the entire investment process without disabilities and time delay restrictions. The results of the process and progress checks are presented to the parliament. The members of the supervisory body should rotate so that corruption is impossible.

When public funds are used, then the public has the right to see what the representatives of the people plan to do with the money and how it was used.

Perhaps the Thai governments are copying the EU administration , or is it vice versa. No audited accounts for how many years?

I agree with the sentiment , but until some external agency takes control of the Thai administration there will be no change. The structure is too feudal and it will take several more generations to be superseded by a more equitable social structure. By which time Thailand will have become bankrupt and be a failed nation.

The oofah-oofah bird, flying round in ever decreasing circles until disappearing up it's own fundamental orifice.

Yes, it is too much to ask when the entire of Thai society -- NOT JUST POLITICIANS -- doesn't know anything of morality, values, responsibility, etc.

Why do these writers persist in pretending that their politicians are not simply a reflection of their society?

coffee1.gif

Quote: "Is transparent, graft-free politics too much to ask?"

Not too much to ask, but can never be done because corruption is embedded throughout Thailand, from the top to the bottom.

It is a sad indictment on Thailand/Thai people when around 70% of the population have no problem with corruption!

The only hope is for a "Lee Kuan Yew" to take the reigns and sort the country out, but will never happen so Thailand remains corrupt no matter who is in power.