Voices against Suthep-led movement getting louder in social media

webfact

Voices against Suthep-led movement getting louder in social media
Chanon Wongsatayanont
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Though support for the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) and its secretary-general, Suthep Thaugsuban, is still strong, more and more people are also voicing their opposition to the movement on social media.

Several Facebook pages in support of Yingluck Shinawatra's government have been set up and many users are also posting comments in support of democracy and the electoral system, saying that PDRC's moves are undemocratic.

Another trend is the sharing of images, which encourage the acceptance of political differences among friends and family members.

A page called the "Assembly for the Defence of Democracy" (AFDD), which was set up by a group of academics two days ago, gathered more than 130,000 likes in a single day. The content in this page mainly attacks Suthep's proposal for a People's Council and his decision to seek a nominated government through his interpretation of the Constitution's Article 7, saying these moves were undemocratic and unconstitutional. The page is also collecting signatures in support of the AFDD movement.

Other pages supporting the government, such as "15 Million Love Yingluck" and "Opposing Rebel Suthep from Taking over Thailand", were created earlier this month and have won 45,000 to 12,000 likes respectively.

Personal problems caused by the political polarisation are also becoming apparent on social media - a mood that is reflected in images encouraging reconciliation and understanding that are widely shared on Facebook. One example is the widely shared entreaty: "You are my friend, not because we are red or yellow or other external factors. We may have different views and exchange our opinions, but don't let that destroy our friendship."

Just as social-media users shared the anti-amnesty-bill sticker last month, this week many have been posting pro-election stickers saying "Your Vote Counts", while PDRC supporters are posting stickers saying: "We don't want a new election with the old process, understand?"

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-12

• Like 2

Perception Management principles in play.

Is it the Damned Hamsters teams, or has the liege lord hired others to make the impression the tide has turned?

Our perceptions of reality are more easily lead in the times of mass interactive communications,

just need o have the appearance of a trend and suddenly others jump on the bandwagon,

even if the bandwagon has one sides logo painted over for the moment.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 2

the democrats would do better if they targeted specific friendly policies towards the north and north east to win their support rather than bitch about not being able to win an election.I imagine they wont do this as as far as i can see they despise the lowly poor of the north and north east.

During Abhisit's brief moment in power, the Dems initiated a pension scheme aimed at Issan folks, I think 500-1000 baht per month. It was as much a vote buying attempt as anything the Shinawatra's have ever conceived. But it didn't do them any good.

• Like 2

Seem that the voices against Suthep is getting stronger after Premier Yingluck have dissolved the Parliament and called for a general election. I believe that they are many independent agencies and foreign governments will be observers during the Thai General Election 2014. However, it is good that any Shinawatra's family don't get involve in the politics for the time-being.

Seem that the voices against Suthep is getting stronger after Premier Yingluck have dissolved the Parliament and called for a general election. I believe that they are many independent agencies and foreign governments will be observers during the Thai General Election 2014. However, it is good that any Shinawatra's family don't get involve in the politics for the time-being.

I really (REALLY) wish Thailand would lose it's arrogance and let international and independent observers in to monitor election but they have rejected this outright.

Secretary-General of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee Dear Leader Suthep has been the loudest:

Suthep: "I don't respect 'farangs'. We

do not have to surrender to them"

Allowing international observers would be an admission that something is wrong in Thailand. So it ain't gonna happen! None of them, whatever political party will allow this and admit they need help.

Thailand - no corruption, no prostitution, no crime, tourist safe, and soon back to number one rice exported. wink.png

It seems the mentality is tell a lie often enough and it will be believed - even by yourself !! Asking for help might expose the unreality and the truth isn't as palatable.

• Like 1

I really (REALLY) wish Thailand would lose it's arrogance and let international and independent observers in to monitor election but they have rejected this outright.

Secretary-General of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee Dear Leader Suthep has been the loudest:

Well farangs will be in for a lovely time IF the supreme ruler takes over the country.

• Like 2

People listen to people and facebook as well as other networking sites have proven time and time again that true democracy is not just for the good of the majority but minorities are also respected. Let's hope that the Military realise that the internet is the new pen against the sword and is mightier drawing the ininterested to sit up stand up and be counted. Well done to Yingluck for setting elections on Feb 2nd.

• Like 1

the democrats would do better if they targeted specific friendly policies towards the north and north east to win their support rather than bitch about not being able to win an election.I imagine they wont do this as as far as i can see they despise the lowly poor of the north and north east.

During Abhisit's brief moment in power, the Dems initiated a pension scheme aimed at Issan folks, I think 500-1000 baht per month. It was as much a vote buying attempt as anything the Shinawatra's have ever conceived. But it didn't do them any good.

Was this scheme only eligible for people in Isan??

• Like 1

Social media is divided. No wonder! Even the Nation and BKK Post are running contradictory articles. One says the army and police decided not to meet with Suthep. The other paper says they agreed to meet Suthep.

I have no idea which is correct, only that one wasposted early today and the other was later today.

Amazing Thailand. blink.png

Of course opposition to his movement is growing: people may have shown some support early on, reflecting some level of unhappiness with the govt. That has changed dramatically as people have realised that this despot plans to take away the democratic rights and freedoms Thais fought so long and hard to achieve. More and more people will reject his thuggery and mob rule[/ quote] what a joke,have another Irish whiskey father jack .thuggery and mob was in 2010 from your buddiy thugs
Edited by kingalfred

Perception Management principles in play.

Is it the Damned Hamsters teams, or has the liege lord hired others to make the impression the tide has turned?

Our perceptions of reality are more easily lead in the times of mass interactive communications,

just need to have the appearance of a trend and suddenly others jump on the bandwagon,

even if the bandwagon has one sides logo painted over for the moment.

Or maybe there are just many genuine Thais that oppose Suthep and he doesn't in fact, despite his claims, speak for the Thai people as a whole? Did you stop to consider that or did you jump right to the conspiracist angle?

If you imagine there is NO conspiracy, it is you jumping at false conclusions,

or trying to lead others to false conclusions....

There has been a well organised international conspiracy to take or regain control of Thailand for Thaksin for most of the last decade. Robert Amsterdam and others un-mentioned all have had a hand in attempting to mold international and local perceptions of TS and crew for sometime, and they always appear here just before and around the time he or his enemies make a major move. And disappear when the action is over.

This is not about Suthep, even as there is a huge push to make it seem it is all about him. Sutheps history makes him an perfect target for this, but he is also expendable in the major scheme of things. That doesn't mean he won't be the lightning rod for abuse and heckling. He knows that and accept than, obviously.

Without Thaksins megalomania this would be business as usual in Thailand,

but Thaksin can't get past his lost face ego issues and will push till he's dead. Very UN-Thai.

"So great was the extremity of his pain and anguish, that he did not only sigh but roar."

"None so deaf as those that will not hear. None so blind as those that will not see."

Matthew Henry

Edited by animatic

My misses says, that the media (TV) is actually painting quiet a better pic of Suthep.

She says, most of the demonstrators are actually not cheering him (anymore), because he gets too crazy!

...a minute too late, I might ad!

Of course opposition to his movement is growing: people may have shown some support early on, reflecting some level of unhappiness with the govt. That has changed dramatically as people have realised that this despot plans to take away the democratic rights and freedoms Thais fought so long and hard to achieve. More and more people will reject his thuggery and mob rule

How is making changes to get rid of vote buying and reduce corruption and making new elections "to take away the democratic rights and freedoms"?

It is actually giving these rights.

Actually it's only the Dem's that reject this proposal because it will clearly show to the world that the elections are fair.

That is the only reason Suthep will not agree to it.

• Like 2

sawadee: If this brainless individual were to be arrested, and Thai politics followed its normal course of 'tit for tat' the prison system would not be capable of handling just the elected, and appointed civil servents sponging off of the system.

There has to be someone out there who can/would be a better choice, to what seems to be on offer. But first those who have been involved in the decline of the country for the past couple of decades need to have their "use by date" pointed out as expired.