The dreaded visitors " Home Guests "

BB1955

As I read the posts I am reminded of my first wife who was a farm girl from the Southern US. Her family was a bit like the Thai ones described here. I wonder if the difference isn't so much between Thai and Farang as city and country. Middle and upper class city folk and farmer country folk. I can't imagine Yingluck coming in and laying down on my couch and eating som tom and stealing my TV and tools.

• Like 2

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not uncommon in the west either. People used to come and go as they please there as well.

I´m talking about the south of Holland. The backdoor was always open. We called it ¨zoete inval¨, literally ¨sweet invasion¨.

Here in Thailand even in BKK lots of friends of my wife have the key to our apartment.

I´ve no problem with it at all, since I grew up with a lack of privacy.

"This is not uncommon in the west either" = yes it IS uncommon actually. Whatever went on in S.Holland, it absolutely did not happen in S.England for at least the past half-century.

When her friends and family come I politely greet them, chat for a while and leave them to it. No one is allowed in my bedroom upstairs even though I have caught her mum in there nosing about.

I've told the wife she can have the downstairs along with the kitchen and I will have the upstairs.

That is all.

If i caught the mother-in-law 'nosing around' anywhere, that would be her last visit. No-one gets in my room anyway - it's got a lockable handle and if i'm not in it, it stays locked.

OP - sorry Mate, but you're basically screwed. You allow them to turn up according to their timeline, do what they want, make you miserable, probably eat you out of house and home, stay as long as they want.

My inlaws have been told to ask my permission to come. I allow them (no more than 3 at a time) to come occasionally, sometimes I say no just because I can. I want dates and times of arrival and departure, and they WILL be adhered to. If I am in a room, I'm the boss of the room - they will talk quietly, I own the remote, I dictate what happens. If they want to eat durian they know to bugger off outside.

My beer is MY beer - if you want one, ask.

You will address me as Kuhn (name).

I tell the wife the daily spending limit to feed them, and no, they can walk or ride the pushbikes, they're not nicking off with my scooter. Piss me off and you will be told about it, and I know enough Thai to pickup on the conversation so talk about me when I'm not there.

Essentially, my home is my castle and my "guests" will respect my authority or naff off. I do all of this with reasonable decorum and respect, but my house is a little piece of NZ, and I make up the rules.

They don't ask to come and visit too often - I can never figure out why. whistling.gif

Haha - thanks for that - made me really chuckle, especially the durian bit - well, ALL of it actually : Could be me talking; hey, you sure you're not my long-lost brother ? ;-)
  • Like 1

I live in our bedroom. I have my computer and a tv if I ever want to watch it(I dont) and I go downstairs to eat or go out. If the wife relatives show up I will mix with them as they are mostly nice people and they like my cooking, they rarely stay even for one night which is good. On the other hand her half sister comes here and bludges for days on end, she does not cook, wash or do any thing around the house, she eats everything she can find including my aussie food I put away for myself. We only see her when she is fighting with her thai husband(she is a bar girl & second wife) or she wants money tp give to her husband so he can drink and give the rest to his first wife.My solution is simple, like one poster above I pack my bags and ask my wife to drive me to a hotel, this gets an immediate response of she will leave today, in fact we rarely see her now and that is fine by me.

My wife's niece came to stay for a month, while she worked with my wife. She did nothing but watch tv in the house and never even washed the dishes, despite contributing nothing fiancially and eating my wife's food.

When she asked to stay another month, I agreed providing she washed the dishes and tidied the house/ outside. I don't know if my wife passed that on, but she still did nothing for the second month.

My nephew ate everything he liked in my fridge ( wife and I have seperate fridges )despite being told not to eat my food, so in the end I put a chain and padlock around it.

He also used any of my tools he wanted to fix his m'bike and left them lying around outside when he left ( along with all his rubbish ), so I had to lock them in the bedroom whenever he came to stay. I also refused to pick up his rubbish- if she wouldn't make him tidy after himself, she had to do it.

You have separate fridges?? Wow what a loving relationship.
Are you insinuating that we have a bad relationship because we use different fridges? Pretty weird opinion if you are!

We both have enough food to fill a fridge each, so just have seperate fridges.

2 small fridges are cheaper than the really big fridges on the market.

• Like 1

This is not uncommon in the west either. People used to come and go as they please there as well.

I´m talking about the south of Holland. The backdoor was always open. We called it ¨zoete inval¨, literally ¨sweet invasion¨.

Here in Thailand even in BKK lots of friends of my wife have the key to our apartment.

I´ve no problem with it at all, since I grew up with a lack of privacy.

"This is not uncommon in the west either" = yes it IS uncommon actually. Whatever went on in S.Holland, it absolutely did not happen in S.England for at least the past half-century.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzGimiTLHWw

is a funny one and as much as my family and friends who visited used to question me on it as being un-friendly or a bit rude I would always carry myself as someone who was very sure of himself with regards to the family and Thai people who were doing work for me... they take kindness as weakness and if you are too kind and tolerant then essentially they will see you as a chump who puts up and shuts up....is good to give them a blast every now and then....

and no way would I lock myself in my bedroom unless it suited me!

I live in our bedroom. I have my computer and a tv if I ever want to watch it(I dont) and I go downstairs to eat or go out. If the wife relatives show up I will mix with them as they are mostly nice people and they like my cooking, they rarely stay even for one night which is good. On the other hand her half sister comes here and bludges for days on end, she does not cook, wash or do any thing around the house, she eats everything she can find including my aussie food I put away for myself. We only see her when she is fighting with her thai husband(she is a bar girl & second wife) or she wants money tp give to her husband so he can drink and give the rest to his first wife.My solution is simple, like one poster above I pack my bags and ask my wife to drive me to a hotel, this gets an immediate response of she will leave today, in fact we rarely see her now and that is fine by me.

My wife's niece came to stay for a month, while she worked with my wife. She did nothing but watch tv in the house and never even washed the dishes, despite contributing nothing fiancially and eating my wife's food.

When she asked to stay another month, I agreed providing she washed the dishes and tidied the house/ outside. I don't know if my wife passed that on, but she still did nothing for the second month.

My nephew ate everything he liked in my fridge ( wife and I have seperate fridges )despite being told not to eat my food, so in the end I put a chain and padlock around it.

He also used any of my tools he wanted to fix his m'bike and left them lying around outside when he left ( along with all his rubbish ), so I had to lock them in the bedroom whenever he came to stay. I also refused to pick up his rubbish- if she wouldn't make him tidy after himself, she had to do it.

Are you insinuating that we have a bad relationship because we use different fridges? Pretty weird opinion if you are!

plus some of the stinky stuff will most certainly taint your imported stuff.....bah.gif

OP - sorry Mate, but you're basically screwed. You allow them to turn up according to their timeline, do what they want, make you miserable, probably eat you out of house and home, stay as long as they want.

My inlaws have been told to ask my permission to come. I allow them (no more than 3 at a time) to come occasionally, sometimes I say no just because I can. I want dates and times of arrival and departure, and they WILL be adhered to. If I am in a room, I'm the boss of the room - they will talk quietly, I own the remote, I dictate what happens. If they want to eat durian they know to bugger off outside.

My beer is MY beer - if you want one, ask.

You will address me as Kuhn (name).

I tell the wife the daily spending limit to feed them, and no, they can walk or ride the pushbikes, they're not nicking off with my scooter. Piss me off and you will be told about it, and I know enough Thai to pickup on the conversation so talk about me when I'm not there.

Essentially, my home is my castle and my "guests" will respect my authority or naff off. I do all of this with reasonable decorum and respect, but my house is a little piece of NZ, and I make up the rules.

They don't ask to come and visit too often - I can never figure out why. whistling.gif

Haha - thanks for that - made me really chuckle, especially the durian bit - well, ALL of it actually : Could be me talking; hey, you sure you're not my long-lost brother ? ;-)

Cheers! Not sure about the relationship, was your Dad a Milkman by any chance?

Yeah I hear horror stories like the OP's all the time and I just do not understand it. I mean, if you have a dog that shits in the corner of your lounge once, then sort it out. If you let him shit in the corner again, guess what, that's what he'll do forever.

OP - make the rules, and enforce them. You'll be a lot happier.

• Like 1

plus some of the stinky stuff will most certainly taint your imported stuff.....bah.gif
Correct. The stuff I see in her fridge isn't going anywhere near my food- yuch.

One quoted reply deleted to allow posting.

When we started planning to build our first home, my wife said she would like her sister and niece to live with us. Since her sister took care of her after her mother died she thought of her as a second Mom and the niece is not all there. They lived a miserable life, no running water, oil lamps and no bathroom. I told my life how we "westerns" like our privacy. So we built a two bedroom home on our property for them. We also put up guests from out of town there as well. It works, rarely do I have "guests" in the house...

• Like 1

With most of the family I don't mind the visits, they are usually short and most of the wife's friends and her brother bring their own booze/food and are very courteous. They all work, no bums. Even when the wife's oldest brother, now dead, would get off his meds (schizophrenic) and they would send him to me to get him back on I didn't mind, he did his best to help out around the house even if legally blind. It is only when the mother-in-law shows up that I hit the ceiling. It is always, always unannounced, she knows she isn't welcome, the wife knows her mother isn't welcome here. Even the kids don't like being around her. She has made my wife cry with her unreasonable demands (more money for her from the farang-the family isn't poor, not rich but certainly not poor) and I gave her 5 minutes to get out. She is nuttier than a fruitcake. She insists that she is extremely ill, has to be 'waited on', has spent unknown money (not mine) on doctor/hospital visits and as one American trained/educated (John Hopkins Hospital/University) semi-retired doctor told me, the only thing wrong with her is her brain. The family all knows (as does the ville) but still tolerate, barely. She has to be the center of attention-she doesn't get from me. I've run her off more than once and will do it again, even if it my truck that has to take her back to the ville. She knows I can't stand the smell of the 'bar too' (spelling?) fish and put in microwave once. When I opened to finish off cooking my breakfast the smell was so bad I ran through the house gagging and threw up in MY bedroom toilet, yea she thought it funny. That does NOT happen anymore. The rest of the family has gotten so tired of her antics they won't provide transportation anymore and after the last time I 'explained' to my wife that MY truck was not a damn family taxi and this is MY house not a hospital wait station. Last time she showed up for a doctor visit in Udon I told the wife to either get her out or I was out, she left. Need I add she walks around talking to the air and reading/chanting Buddha stuff (her sister came over and told her to shut up). That was the "get out" last time.

But the rest of the family is really ok, nice and pleasant to be around and I enjoy when grand-papa actually comes (very, very seldom). He was born in 1921 and is a walking history book. Perhaps the only surviving real veteran of the Japanese occupation in Udon province-fought the guerrilla war (I guess that would make him a terrorist these days).

Nobody, but nobody touches my computers.

The only way to deal with family/people you don't want around is to tell/make them get out. Sometimes like the proverbial bad penny they still turn up again. Get out works, just not always permanently...lol.

With most of the family I don't mind the visits, they are usually short and most of the wife's friends and her brother bring their own booze/food and are very courteous. They all work, no bums. Even when the wife's oldest brother, now dead, would get off his meds (schizophrenic) and they would send him to me to get him back on I didn't mind, he did his best to help out around the house even if legally blind. It is only when the mother-in-law shows up that I hit the ceiling. It is always, always unannounced, she knows she isn't welcome, the wife knows her mother isn't welcome here. Even the kids don't like being around her. She has made my wife cry with her unreasonable demands (more money for her from the farang-the family isn't poor, not rich but certainly not poor) and I gave her 5 minutes to get out. She is nuttier than a fruitcake. She insists that she is extremely ill, has to be 'waited on', has spent unknown money (not mine) on doctor/hospital visits and as one American trained/educated (John Hopkins Hospital/University) semi-retired doctor told me, the only thing wrong with her is her brain. The family all knows (as does the ville) but still tolerate, barely. She has to be the center of attention-she doesn't get from me. I've run her off more than once and will do it again, even if it my truck that has to take her back to the ville. She knows I can't stand the smell of the 'bar too' (spelling?) fish and put in microwave once. When I opened to finish off cooking my breakfast the smell was so bad I ran through the house gagging and threw up in MY bedroom toilet, yea she thought it funny. That does NOT happen anymore. The rest of the family has gotten so tired of her antics they won't provide transportation anymore and after the last time I 'explained' to my wife that MY truck was not a dam_n family taxi and this is MY house not a hospital wait station. Last time she showed up for a doctor visit in Udon I told the wife to either get her out or I was out, she left. Need I add she walks around talking to the air and reading/chanting Buddha stuff (her sister came over and told her to shut up). That was the "get out" last time. But the rest of the family is really ok, nice and pleasant to be around and I enjoy when grand-papa actually comes (very, very seldom). He was born in 1921 and is a walking history book. Perhaps the only surviving real veteran of the Japanese occupation in Udon province-fought the guerrilla war (I guess that would make him a terrorist these days). Nobody, but nobody touches my computers. The only way to deal with family/people you don't want around is to tell/make them get out. Sometimes like the proverbial bad penny they still turn up again. Get out works, just not always permanently...lol.

Sounds like you've got it sussed out pretty well. The ML sounds like a it of a problem though, good luck with that.

You're correct though, you have to give them lessons in life or they don't appreciate what they are doing. On one occasion we had 2 cousins and a brother here, all in their late 20's. Day one they had food, sat back to watch TV - I told them to take all the plates our to the kitchen and wash them, then they can watch TV. They did, and carried on doing it automatically for the 4 days they were there.

Next morning as I'm leaving for golf early in the morning I nearly broke my neck falling over their shoes at the back door. And this after I'd been very quiet not to disturb their sleep, even went without a cup of coffee. So I threw all the shoes, including mine and the wife's (which are always on a shoe rack at the door) into the back of the truck and buggered off for golf. Got back late afternoon and they'd had no shoes all day and couldn't go anywhere. I told them what happened - shoes were always tidily stacked after that.

Somchai the brother took a liking to laying on my couch and watching TV. First time, I told him to get up and give me the remote - laid down and changed channel. After that when I walked into the room, he automatically stands up and hands me the remote. I might lay down and change channel, or I might not - up to me. But he knows that's what I expected from then on.

Lots of stuff like this. They soon realise that you don't take fools gladly and are more than happy to comply with your rules if they know what they are, and they even begin outguessing you. They soon learn that if they think something might piss me off, they don't do it. And they understand that if I pass the comment that my truck is dirty, guarantee they're team cleaning it pretty quick smart. thumbsup.gif

Edit: And here's some essential Thai that can be used in a multitude of situations with family or vendors etc. It essentially means "not in this lifetime/when hell freezes over". Chaat naa dtaawn saai saai Tones are falling,falling,middle, rising,rising.

Edited by Gsxrnz

I would never in a hundred years stand for such after it happened once ... and NO ONE touches my computer, not ever my beloved girlfriend.

Meaning no disrespect mate, but grow a pair and be the man of the house. Because If you can't do it in Thailand you'll never be able to do it anywhere.

Don't get me wrong. I like having visitors ... IF they respect me and my home. Recently 20 of my girlfriends family came to visit from Issan for the Buddhist blessing of our new house in Bang Saray. They showed up on the afternoon they said they would, stayed only the three days they said they would, and they helped prepare food and clean up every day, and before they left they cleaned the whole house from top to bottom. After that experience they are all very welcome to visit again .... but next time not all twenty at the same time. 555

BTW, I have a very big house and a nice office with a big TV, refrigerator, my clothes closet, etc. It's my personal home within my big home. This is where I escape to when I need my personal space away from visitors.

So you're like an Isaan Hugh Hefner in a Chang wife-beater are you?bah.gif

We build a house next my inlaws. Any visitors dropping by will move to my inlaws.

I have one sleeping room (30sqm), one Western kitchen (30 sqm), one large living room (50 sqm), one bahroom (30sqm) and a an office of 30sqm. I build 1 bedroom and my office one day will go to my baby boy and I will use the living room.

My FIL has his family 6 km's away and they all have homes. My MIL is the only daughter so no brothers and sisters.

I still have a granny and a grandfather from my inlaws which are great people and I always like their visit and I will sit down with them and chat. We offered them to sleep over but they always want to go back at evening to their own home.

My father and mother in-laws don't want to even sleep over because they have their own home 30 meters away.

In regards of my computers. I have in all six Mac's and they are off-limit and all are password protected. Most of them are owned by my clients in Bangkok and they all Mac's and Linux boxes.

My FIL is a workaholic, building and repairing homes every day. My MIL visits her friends if she needs company and my wife looks after our boy and I jump in if she needs by help. My in-laws both assist my wife if she needs help.

We have a relaxed and good live here in Isaan. If I am in the situation as the OP I would have never married into that family. After 20 years Bangkok working 5 days a week I see Isaan as a blessing.

• Like 1

I think the main problem here is that everyone seems to be approaching this from a Western angle,caring about other people's feelings and suchlike.

Just act like a selfish,spoilt child would and throw tantrums whenever you don't get your way and everything should work out just fine,everybody will get the message!
When in Rome...thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I honestly cant believe some of the replies on here.

Where TF did some of you guys meet your partners?

Seperate fridges, seperate rooms, <deleted> is a "man cave"?

Locks on doors, unbelievable, Jeez do what a Thai man would do, grow a pair and sort this crap out, or give her the money for a taxi to Mor Chit bus station and the bus fare back to Nakon Nowhwere.

Makes me appreciate just what a treasure my wife is, guess she must really be different.

I agree with everything apart from the fridges bit....some of that thai cack is men mak mak and makes me heave....keep it away from my steaks and ham off the bone wai.gif

• Like 2

Our gardener(friend)hates it when the Mil comes over to stay,she tells him he should work harder and then shows him how to do it! Bless her!

I love it when the MIL pops by (always brings about 5 kilos of beef mattsaman, she knows I like it), the mrs stands on edge as the MIL inspects the house and makes sure its up to her standards.

The m/c guys told her, there is only one price for the taxi, the MIL told them, dont rip me off because my SIL is a farang, they just laugh now as they have got to know her, she gives them 5 baht and says its enough.

A smashing old trooper, I have said on here before and will repeat it, if ever anything happened to my mrs, I will either move in with the MIL, or she can move in with me, what a star she is.

The grandmother was even worse, called me a effin pooftah (first time I met her), told my mrs I had womans hands, they were no good for cutting rice.

• Like 1

Our gardener(friend)hates it when the Mil comes over to stay,she tells him he should work harder and then shows him how to do it! Bless her!

I love it when the MIL pops by (always brings about 5 kilos of beef mattsaman, she knows I like it), the mrs stands on edge as the MIL inspects the house and makes sure its up to her standards.

The m/c guys told her, there is only one price for the taxi, the MIL told them, dont rip me off because my SIL is a farang, they just laugh now as they have got to know her, she gives them 5 baht and says its enough.

A smashing old trooper, I have said on here before and will repeat it, if ever anything happened to my mrs, I will either move in with the MIL, or she can move in with me, what a star she is.

The grandmother was even worse, called me a effin pooftah (first time I met her), told my mrs I had womans hands, they were no good for cutting rice.

Your MIL sounds like the Drill Sergeant from Full Metal Jacket!w00t.gif

I live in our bedroom, I have my computer and a tv if I ever want to watch it(I dont) and I go downstairs to eat or go out. If the wife relatives show up I will mix with them as they are mostly nice people and they like my cooking, they rarely stay even for one night which is good. On the other hand her half sister comes here and bludges for days on end, she does not cook, wash or do any thing around the house, she eats everything she can find including my aussie food I put away for myself. We only see her when she is fighting with her thai husband(she is a bar girl & second wife) or she wants money tp give to her husband so he can drink and give the rest to his first wife.My solution is simple, like one poster above I pack my bags and ask my wife to drive me to a hotel, this gets an immediate response of she will leave today, in fact we rarely see her now and that is fine by me.

Bet she doesn't touch the vegemite.

• Like 1