So, Is This Theft?

bannork

The police can absolutely, 100% find the phone if the thief turns it on regularly (best if they leave it on), if you can supply them with the "emi" number on the side of the phone's original box. Have seen it happen more than once when the phone belongs to anyone of any importance. Good luck getting them to do it for the average joe though.

:o

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The police can absolutely, 100% find the phone if the thief turns it on regularly (best if they leave it on), if you can supply them with the "emi" number on the side of the phone's original box. Have seen it happen more than once when the phone belongs to anyone of any importance. Good luck getting them to do it for the average joe though.

:D

<off topic> So Heng, do you come from St Kitts or Nevis? Just interested, is all, and how you ended up in Pratunam. :o

I now know why I will never move to a village.

Hear Hear! ...

Of course in the city you'd never see your GF's bag and phone and money again anyways ... no matter what!

<off topic> So Heng, do you come from St Kitts or Nevis? Just interested, is all, and how you ended up in Pratunam. :o

Texas actually. Thai Chinese from Texas with an appreciation of St. Kitts and Nevis people, beaches, and banks... particularly Nevis.

Hear Hear! ...

Of course in the city you'd never see your GF's bag and phone and money again anyways ... no matter what!

That all depends (as I am certain it does in the villages too).

A friend of mine whose memory is almost as hopeless as my own, left his wallet with 22 crisp 1000 bills and a credit card on the desk of a pharmacy in the largest shopping center in Chiang Mai.

He came back 5 hours later to find that a Thai customer had turned it in to the security guy, and all the money plus the credit card was still there.

Luck is important.

Hear Hear! ...

That all depends (as I am certain it does in the villages too).

A friend of mine whose memory is almost as hopeless as my own, left his wallet with 22 crisp 1000 bills and a credit card on the desk of a pharmacy in the largest shopping center in Chiang Mai.

He came back 5 hours later to find that a Thai customer had turned it in to the security guy, and all the money plus the credit card was still there.

Luck is important.

True story: I was waiting to use an ATM - two Thai girls were taking their time. After they'd finished they walked away while the machine was beeping at them. I took out their ATM card and turned round to wave it at them, but they'd already realised they'd forgotten it. Lovely smiles from them - I guess that's why they call it "LoS" :o

Hi Bannork.

I had a similar experience. I was living in an appartment in Chanthaburi for about a year when the cleaners (for sure) Stole my money, phone, passport and some other things that were in the appartment.

there were only about 6 rooms with people in them and the owner lived in the building, considering i knew what time they were coming and leaving to clean the room (at my request), I knew everybody that had access to my room.

When i confronted the owner on what was missing and what i needed, If i din't have these items then i would have to call the police for a report, it was funny that in 2 days (when i was away from my room for the first time) what i had asked for back was slipped under the door, My passport, SIM card, I.D., drivers Licence,etc

They kept the phone, money, anything easy to sell. the funny thing was a week later when i told them i was leaving they paid back my full deposit and i had more then 2 weeks in the appartment without question or payment.

They told me fired the lady they thought/said it was but i knew it was the daughter as she was the cleaner AND happened to leave and not come back the same day and nobody knew where she went. I found a new joint and got out of there quickly.

The owner couldn't beleive that i was leaving as i had got my things back, minus the phone, money, some jewelery etc, was nothing to her as i had the 'important' (difficult to sell) things back.

For you mate, I have to aggree with the other posters when they say to talk to the bigshot and find out who she is then go from there, If you need to involve the police then thats the way it is.

Let us know what happened with the situation as i am sure that many would like to know what to do and what not to do in this situation.

Good Luck

Cheers

Hey! This is Thailand. Get used to it. Just like any where else in the world, you have good and bad people every where. If you expect every one to have the same morals and values as you, then you are sadly mistaken. Thievery is thievery. Yea, it is sad. Because we are guests in this country means that, this is the way it is. Some Thais will be glad to return to you your belongings and some look at it as opportunity. It depends on there back ground and environment. I think your lucky to get anything returned. However it is not smart for the village leader to tell you that she was keeping the phone and money. He sounds just as crooked as her. If he was a leader he should have told her that she needs to give it all back or the spirits would not rest well or some superstitious remarks that would make her understand in her culture that it is wrong to keep any of it. Call the cops, make a report if you think it might do some good. I would get creative and find out the ladies name and see if she has any dead relatives. Then I would get a Thai friend to call your phone # and pretend they were her dead relative and talk about how they are unhappy in the after world because she was not honest or some thing along those lines. Thais are very superstitious. :D

I bet you will be more careful next time you guys are out. Rain or shine. :o