New Passport

In passing, I have just received my new UK passport from HK. My one year Non O Multiple Entry visa is in my old passport. Further to the above posts, a couple of years ago, and with a similar visa, I got a 90-day extension to stay in Thailand by doing a visa run a few days before the visa expired but all that was in my old passport.

Would this method of getting a 90-day extension still work if my soon-to-expire visa is in my old and full passport with the 90-day stamp having to be placed in my new passport ?

Talisman

may I ask what proof of residence did you show to get your new passport ?

No proof of residence was asked for

Talisman

My twopence worth.

I have a new passport and my old passport with my expiring Non-B in it. I was told I would have to get a letter from the embassy and do the transfer of the stamps either at Immigration here in BKK or NongKhai as Nongkhai border won't do it for you.

I didn't do any of that - as 1) Immigration in BKK was a bit in the air with all the protests, 2) I was leaving the country on a Thai holiday and 3) I was a bit lazy to go to the embassy and Immigration.

So I went to Nong Khai border with my excuses at the ready and went straight to the Overstay post at the border (not that I was on an overstay, just seemed more logical to go there than the normal post) and I explained that Immigration was closed etc, he cut me off, just whipped out a form for me to fill in. Put stamps in my new passport detailing the old non-b, asked for a couple of photocopies of a couple of pages of my new passport and all done in about 5 minutes.

The border official was helpful, it cost me no money (apart from 6 baht for the photocopies) and only took up one page of my passport and from then on and even at the Consulate they weren't interested in my old passport.

Now, it may have worked that I went on a Thai holiday, but I reckon if you just head to the Overstay post on the border have a smile and don't act like a prat and there isn't a queue (no-one in front of me or waiting - was mid-day) then you will be fine. No cost and only one page filled.