I just registered a will at the Amphur Office

giddyup

There is no wife or any Thai involved. Where/How do you people make these assumptions ?

I would pay twice the price of a lawyer to be able to exclude them.

Also., quote "wills can be interpreted many ways"..how many ways can you translate "I leave all my Property and Assets in Thailand" ?

My education took longer than any lawyer and I am also qualified (Chartered Engineer), to verify an identity for a UK Passport, same as a lawyer.

Edited by drx13

Using Google Translate to translate a will? I'm gobsmacked. If you put the Thai Translation to any kind of a test, be it a bilingual or into Google itself, you'll be rolling in laughter. If you don't, you'll be rolling in your grave.

As I mentioned earlier, I had the Google translation checked by a Thai proficient in English. They couldn't see a problem with it. Just out of interest I did as you suggested, translated from Thai back to English. It's not word perfect, but the basic gist is there.

Listen mate,basic gist is not good enough.Get a lawyer to check your will and save your wife a lot of problems later.A 1000 baht is a pittance to pay for peace of mind,stop being a cheap charlie,its your lifes assets were talking about here.One word out of place could change the whole will or hold up payment for years.There will be a lot of "friends"helping your wife at your demise.Don't give her any more problems.

Tell me where I can get a Thai lawyer to do a Will for 1000 baht? You know nothing about my assets, so don't be giving me advice. As I said earlier, I only have two bank accounts, one is a joint account the other is the one where I keep the 800,000 baht for my visa, which is really the only asset that I need to worry about, and that is covered in the Will, both English and Google translation. The house is in her name, so what else is there to worry about? I'd be personally more worried about the Thai lawyer ripping me off.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

Using Google Translate to translate a will? I'm gobsmacked. If you put the Thai Translation to any kind of a test, be it a bilingual or into Google itself, you'll be rolling in laughter. If you don't, you'll be rolling in your grave.

As I mentioned earlier, I had the Google translation checked by a Thai proficient in English. They couldn't see a problem with it. Just out of interest I did as you suggested, translated from Thai back to English. It's not word perfect, but the basic gist is there.
Listen mate,basic gist is not good enough.Get a lawyer to check your will and save your wife a lot of problems later.A 1000 baht is a pittance to pay for peace of mind,stop being a cheap charlie,its your lifes assets were talking about here.One word out of place could change the whole will or hold up payment for years.There will be a lot of "friends"helping your wife at your demise.Don't give her any more problems.

Tell me where I can get a Thai lawyer to do a Will for 1000 baht? You know nothing about my assets, so don't be giving me advice. As I said earlier, I only have two bank accounts, one is a joint account the other is the one where I keep the 800,000 baht for my visa, which is really the only asset that I need to worry about, and that is covered in the Will, both English and Google translation. The house is in her name, so what else is there to worry about? I'd be personally more worried about the Thai lawyer ripping me off.

Anyone with a modicum of common sense can write their own Will and for 300/500 Baht you can get a Thai translation. Always use an English speaking lawyer for complex situations.

The secret comes in knowing with a degree of certainty that your wishes can be implemented, as YOU want them to be, come the time of your death. The simpler the better and if you can plan to dispose of assets prior to your demise better still.

Those with visa extension money in the bank should at least consider reducing such balances if they have income available to use the 'combined' method of income/capital.

• Like 1

I downloaded an internet will in English and made modifications to suit my situation. Then I consulted with a professional translator and a Thai to English Dictionary for an accurate Thai version. It was stamped as being a correct version. Had two copies made, 2 Thai, 2 English and notarized at the Local Amphur, put the dual copies in 2 separate envelopes and filed 1 at the amphur and 1 copy taken to house. Also made copies of 100 same in PDF on my computer and notified appropriate persons concerned as to locations. Tipped the 2 amphur officials to witness my signatures and apply theirs 1000 baht each, translator was 500 baht and all were happy

Did i say do a will,i said check the will you have made.Your money,your loss.

A DIY will should cost you nothing.

Keep a copy with your bank books and important papers, and give another copy or 2 to trusted family members.

Why bother with the amphur?

If you need advice as to preparing a will then you need to pay for that advice. Many DIY wills to not meet the basic requirements!

• Like 2

One thought. In the course of ones life many wills get altered because of a change in circumstances. When it is registered with the Amphur can you deregister or change it? In Thailand registering in such a way would concern me. Any information in this respect?

I made a Thai will through my local lawyer's office (English and Thai translation) both registered at the local Amphur office, as well as a UK will drafted by a UK lawyer with reference in it to my Thai will. The lawyer's fees in both cases relatively small when one considers the legality hoops your beneficiary has to go through after your death, especially in the UK.

There is a legal website called Thailandlawonline, where you can download a legal last will for 740 Baht. The document is in Thai and English language .

I would think that in cased of a foreigner the English version would prevail, if that is the mother tongue of the foreigner, but I maybe mistaken.

• 5 weeks later...

Making progress, after a trip to the Banglamung Office, a nadir in lack of help/comprehension. Went to Sattahip, initially they believed that they could only provide the service for Thais. After a phone call to somewhere the chief, a very helpful guy, told me I needed two witnesses other than those on the will, they must be Thai and come with their ID cards and copies.

Also a Thai translation of my passport, what there is to translate I cannot imagine, but will check.

Making progress, after a trip to the Banglamung Office, a nadir in lack of help/comprehension. Went to Sattahip, initially they believed that they could only provide the service for Thais. After a phone call to somewhere the chief, a very helpful guy, told me I needed two witnesses other than those on the will, they must be Thai and come with their ID cards and copies.

Also a Thai translation of my passport, what there is to translate I cannot imagine, but will check.

I had to pay for the Thai translation of my passport at Banglamung Amphur as well. Just another way of extracting extra money from you.

• 1 year later...

giddyup, websites and directions to amphur office would be very much appreciated. My apologies if this info is already on the board.

Thanks.

Amphur Office is on Sukhumvit road after the Bangkok Pattaya hospital, on the same side going towards Bangkok. Will forms can be found and downloaded from the internet.

Anyone know approx how far past Bangkok Pattaya Hospital?

If you reverse google translations, I find it is not the same as the original, but passable.

Yesterday I took my will to a Translation Service in Soi Post Office, (because I have seen perfect English translations for Condo Committee..not that that means complete literal translation). What also impresses me is an official looking stamp.

I got 5 stamped copies for Baht300.

All my will says is "I leave all my property and assets to......" plus the obligatory legal jargon and witnesses.

The beneficiary has seperate guidelines of what I would like him to do with the assets,

If my local amphur office look blank when I present it, I will go to the OP's amphur office and see if they can accept it.

My next task is to find a lawyer to get probate, I believe this is the term for getting the beneficiary access to my bank accounts and ownership of my property.

Some interesting things coming out there and without delving into the personal characteristics of the estate it is difficult to comment.

Presumably all your assets are in Thailand and no other Wills exist. Presumably the property is a condo. i am confused by the reference to "separate guidelines" for the beneficiary - the beneficiary is the beneficiary and is under no obligation to anything with his inheritance. Sounds like you have drawn up the equivalent of an expression of wishes.

I am yet to be sold on the benefits of filing a copy Will at the local amphur - I am open to being persuaded otherwise.

Probate could be quite costly in Pattaya - I would guess in the region of 100,000 Baht.

You could consider transferring title of the condo (with precautions for security of tenure contracted in) and leaving ATM/Online banking codes in safe hands to facilitate post-death withdrawal/transfer of assets. Not strictly legal but a regular practice nonetheless.

Your heirs will definitely be sold on your filing a copy of the Will at the local amphur, rather than leaving it with a Thai lawyer who wrote it and can then change it once your are no longer around to verify it

There was a story recently out of Phuket where a farang told all his friends that he was leaving all his Thai property to a local school but when he died his Thai lawyer claimed he died intestate

Think about that for a minute and ask yourself why would any lawyer allow a client to die without a will ?

Talk to any Thai on how the feel about Thai lawyers and you will understand that the mistrust runs deep