Elderly foreigner hurt in bike-car smash in Phuket

Lite Beer

Elderly foreigner hurt in bike-car smash in Phuket

1386918547_1.jpg

PHUKET: An elderly Western car driver and a Thai bike rider were taken to hospital this afternoon (December 13) after they collided at the intersection of the bypass road and Bangyai Rd.

Harold Richards, 88, was turning right into Bangyai Rd from the southbound lane of the bypass road when the bike rider, Anop Angsirisaenee, riding a Honda CBR north along the bypass, crashed into him. Mr Richards, apparently attempting to avoid the collision, crashed into the low boundary wall of the Sino@Bypass building.

Both were taken to hospital. Their conditions are unknown. Mr Anop, who was wearing a helmet, appeared to be the worse injured, after flying off the bike and over the top of Mr Richards’ Honda Civic.

This is the second serious crash in the same place. In April, two young Russians on a big bike were seriously hurt when they hit a car crossing into Bangyai Rd. The bike went on, crashing into the Sino@Bypass building and bursting into flames.

Today’s crash caused traffic to back up to Central Festival, but the jam dissipated about half an hour later, once the wrecks of the bike and car had been removed.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/elderly-foreigner-hurt-in-bike-car-smash-in-phuket-43424.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-12-13

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope both of them are ok, and the Thai guy riding the bike was lucky to have been wearing a helmet. Look at the pic of the bike riding behind the smashed up car and bike. Some people never learn really.... You should always wear a helmet if you are the rider or passenger. They do save lifes !

• Like 2

Hope both of them are ok, and the Thai guy riding the bike was lucky to have been wearing a helmet. Look at the pic of the bike riding behind the smashed up car and bike. Some people never learn really.... You should always wear a helmet if you are the rider or passenger. They do save lifes !

They don't stop accidents, which is far more important!

• Like 1

Pretty clear who's at fault here. I honestly don't expect to be nor do I want to be still driving when I'm 88.

☝️The driver turned in front of the motorcyclist who was doing a reasonable speed...driver probably at fault.

✌️The driver turned in front of the motorcyclist who was doing a reasonable speed...motorcyclist probably at fault.

Not so easy to be sure who is at fault.

I do agree with the last part. It's pretty hard to drive when you are ashes scattered to the wind, which is where I expect to be at 88!

Gweiloman, on 13 Dec 2013 - 15:36, said:

Pretty clear who's at fault here. I honestly don't expect to be nor do I want to be still driving when I'm 88.

You must have more info than what is written or is it psychic powers that led you to conclude the clear determination of fault?

probably because hes a foreigner regardless of whos right or wrong, the elderly gentleman is surely going to pay and pay well, how do i know that? history

• Like 1

☝️The driver turned in front of the motorcyclist who was doing a reasonable speed...driver probably at fault.

✌️The driver turned in front of the motorcyclist who was doing a reasonable speed...motorcyclist probably at fault.

Not so easy to be sure who is at fault.

I do agree with the last part. It's pretty hard to drive when you are ashes scattered to the wind, which is where I expect to be at 88!

I presume you mean 'high speed' in your second sentence? Even in that case the car would still be at fault, but probably only partly in stead of fully.

• Like 2

Car was at fault 100% guys never notice us on our bikes. And 88 is way too old to be driving IMO.

Total rolox. Do you know the speed of the bike and the speed limit in the area. ?.......rolleyes.gif

Oooooooop's..... and was the bike rider reading the road ahead and adjusting speed.?

• Like 1

if he is making a right turn it means he came from the left for the motorbike. Right have right of way in Thailand , only nobody really knows it.

First, not important since the car tried to cross the road the motorbike was driving on. Secondly, no, he came from the right for the motorbike.

Gweiloman, on 13 Dec 2013 - 16:44, said:

Hahaha. It's amazing, how many defenders of the farang cannot be wrong brigade there are even when the truth is there for all to see.

Read the report again, CAREFULLY.

"Harold Richards, 88, was turning right into Bangyai Rd ".

The biker was coming the opposite direction. Look at the car and you can clearly see the impact made by the bike on the left front side of the car. Tell me, in your countries, under which circumstances would the biker, who has the right of way, be at fault? (Americans and Europeans, reverse left and right as in Thailand, they drive on the left side of the road).

Interesting how you determined blame and attributed his age as the cause. You may be right or you could be wrong. There isn't enough info given for an intelligent person to be sure what happened. Your reply would seem that you were there and witnessed the entire event. Excuse me if I am not so sure of where the drivers were positioned, their speeds, their actions and who had the right of way at that moment. You are reading a report from the totally reliable and always factual Phuket News and making assumptions. I don't know if the mc driver sped up and tried to be beat the car for right of way, do you? After all, that is a standard maneuver for Thai drivers. Maybe you should wait for the police to indicate fault before you decide who to execute.

• Like 1

JohnPark, on 13 Dec 2013 - 16:53, said:

Car was at fault 100% guys never notice us on our bikes. And 88 is way too old to be driving IMO.

Age doesn't make a good or bad driver. We don't know but maybe he is a better driver than you.

Regardless of who is at fault, I hope both recover. That's just a horrific crash for a motorcyclist. It looks like the motorcyclist came off the bike, and hit the driver side front window. I drive both a car and a motorcycle here, and as a motorcycle driver, that picture just gives me the chills. Scary!

Edited by connda
  • Like 2