The underpass fiasco

grumpyoldman

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it all getting jammed up at the set of lights south?

I went through from Phuket Town direction - past Surakul Stadium - and took the slip road left (4022). Not much traffic out of the tunnel, about half a dozen cars waiting at the lights, and then straight through the next lights just south of House & Home.

Mind you, that was at about 3:30pm.

Happy low season everybody. smile.png

Is it all getting jammed up at the set of lights south?

I went through from Phuket Town direction - past Surakul Stadium - and took the slip road left (4022). Not much traffic out of the tunnel, about half a dozen cars waiting at the lights, and then straight through the next lights just south of House & Home.

Mind you, that was at about 3:30pm.

Happy low season everybody. smile.png

It should be OK during the current school holidays but expect it will change when school starts again.

As the lanes are quite narrow & the configuration will not allow a solid concrete divide I shudder to think about the potential for a high speed collision especially during the night when not many vehicles about & tired drunks roaming the roads.

Just want to say the tunnel is pretty nice.

Efficient now getting through going straight.

Only problem now that I see is if you do want to turn into town from that intersection, the lights are very long, and must be adjusted to account for the decrease in traffic.

Each way had about 30 seconds of non-activity at the end of each green light cycle.

That's a lot of people waiting for nothing.

There was an accident about 100 meters to the south today and that backed up traffic into the tunnel.

I wouldn't want to be down there on a bike if that was to happen, and be behind one of those black smoke belching buses.

Possibly THAT is the reason for the no-bike rule???

Bike are not allowed through the tunnel?

Only problem now that I see is if you do want to turn into town from that intersection, the lights are very long, and must be adjusted to account for the decrease in traffic.

Each way had about 30 seconds of non-activity at the end of each green light cycle.

There was an accident about 100 meters to the south today and that backed up traffic into the tunnel.

I wouldn't want to be down there on a bike if that was to happen, and be behind one of those black smoke belching buses.

No, not allowed, clear signage as well.

Are you talking about cycles or motorbikes? been through on my 650 a few times!

Are you talking about cycles or motorbikes? been through on my 650 a few times!

Motorbikes are not allowed in the underpass. Be it a 50 or 1,300 cc.

There are no signs banning motorbikes from the underpass, just been there and as the picture clearly shows it is cycles that are banned along with golf cart type vehicles and some sort of trailer!

post-225670-14293382262828_thumb.jpg

Edited by LivinginKata

There are no signs banning motorbikes from the underpass, just been there and as the picture clearly shows it is cycles that are banned along with golf cart type vehicles and some sort of trailer!
I must have misread the sign then, passing there in my car and not caring too much who exactly is not allowed. When I'm there with the bike I have no intention of using the underpass anyway smile.png

I must have misread the sign then, passing there in my car and not caring too much who exactly is not allowed. When I'm there with the bike I have no intention of using the underpass anyway smile.png

I don't understand, how can you misread a sign then clearly state that motorbikes from 50cc up to 1300cc are banned, where did you see a sign with all this information? what's wrong with going through the tunnel on a motorbike?

I don't understand, how can you misread a sign then clearly state that motorbikes from 50cc up to 1300cc are banned, where did you see a sign with all this information? what's wrong with going through the tunnel on a motorbike?

I said there was a sign banning motorbikes, looks like I misread the sign. I mentioned 50 to 1,300 cc, because you mention 650. And in Thailand a motorbike is a motorbike, be it 100, 650 or 1,300 cc, same rules (until the DL rules are changed that is).

You made me drive all the way to the underpass to Check your information, not impressed!! Ha ha

Then I would suggest next time you read better first.
Are you serious!! You post that there is clear signage banning motorbikes from the underpass, state specific cc and then try to blame someone else for your misinformation, crazy!!

I suggest you get glasses before you post or refrain from drinking!

Edited by Badrabbit

You made me drive all the way to the underpass to Check your information, not impressed!! Ha ha

Are you serious!! You post that there is clear signage banning motorbikes from the underpass, state specific cc and then try to blame someone else for your misinformation, crazy!!

Yes, I said there was a clear sign saying that, as I said earlier, that seems to be incorrect, sorry.

But I never said on the sign it mentioned specific cc's.

I don't drink BTW and am wearing glasses at the moment.

Yes, I said there was a clear sign saying that, as I said earlier, that seems to be incorrect, sorry.

But I never said on the sign it mentioned specific cc's.

I don't drink BTW and am wearing glasses at the moment.

No problem and no problem on my side, not wanting to break the law I went to check!

I drink but in moderation and never before or during 650 riding, glasses for reading!

Edited by Badrabbit

Hmmm...

Mr Samak noted that motorcycles are strictly forbidden from using the underpass.

"Motorcycles are not allowed to use the underpass. This is clearly marked on signs before each entrance to the underpass," he said.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-underpass-late-grand-opening/56813

whistling.gif

Edited by JetsetBkk

Hmmm...

Mr Samak noted that motorcycles are strictly forbidden from using the underpass.

"Motorcycles are not allowed to use the underpass. This is clearly marked on signs before each entrance to the underpass," he said.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-underpass-late-grand-opening/56813

whistling.gif

The signage in question is really small & IMO quite ambiguous plus it is badly placed being that it is almost at the entrance meaning by the time you might possibly see it you are already committed to going one way or the other. The motorbike could be a bicycle, the "golf cart" I assume is meant for m/c side cars.

Typical Thailand getting things wrong, the sign shows a cycle it does not show a motorbike, I will continue to use the underpass!

Your only risk is bring turned back on occasion.

I'll keep using it until stopped, I agree cycles should be banned along with the bikes and sidecars, if they want to ban motorbikes make the sign bigger and further back from the entrance, also show a picture of a motorbike not a pedal cycle, I guess that is too difficult here!

Golf cart = bangkok tuk tuk

it is clearly a bicycle and motorbikes can use it.

I thought bikes were not allowed in, and looking at the official word they are not allowed in. It is just a not very clear sign.

Golf cart = bangkok tuk tuk

it is clearly a bicycle and motorbikes can use it.

I thought bikes were not allowed in, and looking at the official word they are not allowed in. It is just a not very clear sign.
like many things here they want to confuse people, how difficult is it to actually show clear signs as to what is allowed to use the tunnel, instead they put a sign showing a bicycle( yes cycles should be banned, so small and so close to the entrance that it is impossible to read and re-act quickly enough given how fast people drive here, no point getting stressed over it, bikes will use the slip road and simply ignore the red lights at the Central junction making it just as quick as using the underpass, sorted!! Edited by Badrabbit

I came through it at 13.30 on Friday, very nice and I will use it until stopped or they actually do show a sign banning motorbikes!

The police have a boring job already can you see them standing at the entrance stopping motorbikes, it will cause mayhem!

Edited by Badrabbit