The underpass fiasco

grumpyoldman

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still cant see any signs banning motorbikes, came through this morning.

I hope they install a camera that snaps the plates of bikes that enter the tunnel and make them pay the fines come tax sticker renewal time.

That will sort the problem and collect some much needed funds.

Fair point about a large number of poorly maintained bikes, what about big bikes, most are way faster than most cars, I will have no problem not using the tunnel when there are clear signs.

Same rules in Thailand for big and small bikes.

Fair point about a large number of poorly maintained bikes, what about big bikes, most are way faster than most cars, I will have no problem not using the tunnel when there are clear signs.

So the signs posted and word from Phuket government saying all kinds of bikes are prohibited isnt enough for you? Nice to read about another farang being a part of the problem. SMH.

When will anyone relies that the two right lanes south bound at the Central intersection are right turn only. It is clearly marked. The next dip shit that honks at me is gonna get a ??????

BR youve been told where they are. Also, the article has been posted here about the government saying no motorcycles or bikes. What do you want a personal note from the junta telling you no motorcycles allowed?

Yes please, that would be appreciated.

PHUKET: Despite the Darasamut Underpass being treated to a grand opening ceremony yesterday (story here), the island’s first underpass did not open to traffic until this afternoon.

“We expected to open the underpass after the ceremony yesterday, but we had to fix the electric lane markers,” Samak Luedwonghad, director of the Phuket Highways Office, confirmed to the Phuket Gazette today.

“Two lanes are now open: one heading southbound and the other northbound. The lane closest to HomeWorks will be closed for a few days while we check the electric lane markers to ensure that they work properly.

“We expect all three lanes to be open on Saturday.”

Once all three lanes are open, said Mr Samak, one will be used for southbound traffic and the other two will be used for northbound traffic.

“If we open two lanes heading southbound, this will jam up traffic at the first set of traffic lights south of the underpass,” he said.

“We also want to keep the direction of traffic consistent in the underpass so that we do not confuse motorists. We will install median poles as soon as possible so that people are clear on which lane is which.”

Mr Samak noted that motorcycles are strictly forbidden from using the underpass.

“Motorcycles are not allowed to use the underpass. This is clearly marked on signs before each entrance to the underpass,” he said.

“We will work closely with police to prevent motorcyclists from entering the underpass.”

- See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-underpass-late-grand-opening/56813#sthash.UPjojQaO.dpuf

Lol ok, here ya go.

PHUKET: Despite the Darasamut Underpass being treated to a grand opening ceremony yesterday (story here), the island’s first underpass did not open to traffic until this afternoon.

“We expected to open the underpass after the ceremony yesterday, but we had to fix the electric lane markers,” Samak Luedwonghad, director of the Phuket Highways Office, confirmed to the Phuket Gazette today.

“Two lanes are now open: one heading southbound and the other northbound. The lane closest to HomeWorks will be closed for a few days while we check the electric lane markers to ensure that they work properly.

“We expect all three lanes to be open on Saturday.”

Once all three lanes are open, said Mr Samak, one will be used for southbound traffic and the other two will be used for northbound traffic.

“If we open two lanes heading southbound, this will jam up traffic at the first set of traffic lights south of the underpass,” he said.

“We also want to keep the direction of traffic consistent in the underpass so that we do not confuse motorists. We will install median poles as soon as possible so that people are clear on which lane is which.”

Mr Samak noted that motorcycles are strictly forbidden from using the underpass.

“Motorcycles are not allowed to use the underpass. This is clearly marked on signs before each entrance to the underpass,” he said.

“We will work closely with police to prevent motorcyclists from entering the underpass.”

- See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-underpass-late-grand-opening/56813#sthash.UPjojQaO.dpuf

Lol ok, here ya go.[/quo

Lol bikes still going through today, where are the police oh yea drinking tea!

Do you think the naughty bunny might be trolling as he seems oblivious (perhaps on purpose) to the fact motorbikes are not allowed in the underpass, always finding a feeble excuse to justify.

I came through the underpass the other day, no signs were visible, the sign on the overhead gantry prohibits pedal cycles, samlors and golf carts, could you please go there and take some pictures of the signs, that should clear this up!!

Do you think the naughty bunny might be trolling as he seems oblivious (perhaps on purpose) to the fact motorbikes are not allowed in the underpass, always finding a feeble excuse to justify.

I came through the underpass the other day, no signs were visible, the sign on the overhead gantry prohibits pedal cycles, samlors and golf carts, could you please go there and take some pictures of the signs, that should clear this up!!

No, that sign prohibits motorbikes, you just don't want to see that.

You could also have a look at Schlog's post of 11.50 hours, which has cleared this up!!

You could also have a look at Schlog's post of 11.50 hours, which has cleared this up!!

Okay, I am seeing a pedal cycle but in fact it is Motorbike? I don't take any notice of a man saying motorbikes are banned I take notice of a clear sign, when there is a clear sign banning motorbikes I will not use the underpass, have you actually been through the underpass? have you actually seen signs showing a motorbike(not a pedal cycle, banning them, yes or no!!

Okay, I am seeing a pedal cycle but in fact it is Motorbike? I don't take any notice of a man saying motorbikes are banned I take notice of a clear sign, when there is a clear sign banning motorbikes I will not use the underpass, have you actually been through the underpass? have you actually seen signs showing a motorbike(not a pedal cycle, banning them, yes or no!!

Post 203, Schlog, 11.50 hours.

Edited by stevenl

On Saturday afternoon only the north side of the underpass was open leading to huge congestion going south towards Chalong and Rawai near Central Festival.

When we looked those going north were apparently using two lanes and there was no problem in the third leaving it to be closed. The third lane has never been open when I've gone through the tunnel.

Really bizarre! What's the point of the underpass if you're not going to use it!

There are no clear signs showing motorbikes are prohibited!

A picture paints a thousand words........

Sorry, didn't see the picture, yep that says enough for me! how long has that sign been there it certainly was not there on Friday. Edited by Badrabbit