Free transport to Central Festival?

mizztraveller

There are several song-taews and tuk-tuks waiting to pick up passengers at Central Festival to the city, so it is assumed that it is easy to flag down either a tuk tuk or song-taew to take you to Central Festival.

Possibly there is some free transportation from some of the hotels, but if you go to the information booth at Festival they may give you the answer you are looking for.

Well excuse me for being 'tight' but why on earth do I want to pay for anything which is available free if charge? Maybe it's because we've been 'tight' that we've been able to retire in our mid 50s, live in Chiang Mai for 6 months a year and not have to worry about the price of beer and eggs.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Walk down to warawot market and get the yellow bus that goes to Doi Saket, costs around 10 baht and will stop at the side entrance to Central Festival, On the way back you will have a choice of a red songtaew costing 20 baht or a yellow costing 10 baht.

Warorot Market. "O" pronounced as in "no"

This question does make the OP sound like a tightwad, so I say fair game.

So ... there's 2 bars and one has free beer and one doesn't. Which one would you choose?

Don't be surprised if he said the one where you pay.

There are cheap charlies and the show offs with a lot of sensible people in between. In fact I think most are in the sensible scene.

If I can walk a block and get a free ride I start walking. If it isn't there I take a tuck tuck or Songthaew. Pay what it costs. If to high grab another one.

I was there the other day took a red Songthaew 20 baht. Wandered around saw a movie and being as there is no free ride elected to take the Tuck tuck that was there. They line up there similar to the airport mall. The difference being there low price starts at 150 baht and would not go lower. I elected to take that rather than stand on there super highway which really limit's your chance of getting a ride and even then you have to bargain.

Not familiar with the road names or highway numbers but the road on the south side of the Mall has Yellow Songthaew's going from the Worrowt market out past the mall.

• Like 1

I was there the other day took a red Songthaew 20 baht. Wandered around saw a movie and being as there is no free ride elected to take the Tuck tuck that was there. They line up there similar to the airport mall. The difference being there low price starts at 150 baht and would not go lower. I elected to take that rather than stand on there super highway which really limit's your chance of getting a ride and even then you have to bargain.

You don't stand at the superhighway as there is no songtaw route along it.

You stand on the 118 Doi Saket road where the regular songtaw route runs, max cost 20bht.

One along ever 2 minutes between 7am and 7pm.

You don't stand at the superhighway as there is no songtaw route along it.

You stand on the 118 Doi Saket road where the regular songtaw route runs, max cost 20bht.

One along ever 2 minutes between 7am and 7pm.

I did not specify songthaew on the super highway and yes you do stand there if you are at Makro. I speak from personal experience. Read the whole post all you have added was the highway number and how often they come by. Also the destination on the other end of the route.

Here is a part of the response you missed by jumping to conclusions.

" I elected to take that rather than stand on there super highway which really limit's your chance of getting a ride and even then you have to bargain."

I did not specify songthaew on the super highway and yes you do stand there if you are at Makro. I speak from personal experience. Read the whole post all you have added was the highway number and how often they come by. Also the destination on the other end of the route.

If you're at Makro, walk to the San Kamphaeng road & catch a white songteaw back to town.

• Like 1

If you're at Makro, walk to the San Kamphaeng road & catch a white songteaw back to town.

Depends on how well you know the songthaew routes. If you are new you probably have never heard of San Kamphaeng or realize there is different color songthaew's.

But thanks for the information.

It is good information for people who are new here to Chiang Mai. the only question I have is when you leave Makro do you turn right or left?

We have sense found transport with relatives or for 200 baht a Tuck Tuck will take us there and wait for us then bring us home.

We have sense found transport with relatives or for 200 baht a Tuck Tuck will take us there and wait for us then bring us home.

For 200bht you can rent a red songtaw for half a day and get a 50km round trip.

(useful when moving house)

ALL main roads (radial) out of CM are a songtaw route from 7am to 7pm, 20bht maximum fare for up to 25Km.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

Sorry, no escaping the 150bht Tuk tuk ride post.

It puts you firmly in the "completely daft/foolish tourist/senile old guy" category.

Nobody else (foreigner) ever uses a Tuk Tuk, they are thieves and scammers.

With all due respect, 52, I'm going to disagree with you on this one. I often use tuk-tuks, and 'usually' don't get 'taken for a ride.' Unfortunately, my Passa Thai is limited or I'd do a lot better with them price-wise, but if one tries to get 80 baht to take me from Thapae Gate to Kad Suan Kaew, I just tell him to have a nice day while I look for another driver not so greedy. (40 baht is all I'd pay for a ride of that length.) There are more than enough of them that if one is willing to wait 3-4 extra minutes, you can get a much better price... especially if the next driver sees you waving off the one before. On another direction ride during rush hour traffic with an agreed-upon fare of 60 baht, I had a driver charge me only 50 baht at the end because I showed them a short-cut they didn't know about that avoided the traffic jam. While I agree that most tuk-tuk drivers will try to empty your wallet, there are enough of them who would rather work than ride around empty. After all, a bush in the hand is worth two birds...

But then, on the other hand, I AM in the "completely daft/foolish tourist/senile old guy" category! tongue.png

Edited by FolkGuitar

It puts you firmly in the "completely daft/foolish tourist/senile old guy" category.

With all due respect, 52, I'm going to disagree with you on this one. I often use tuk-tuks, and 'usually' don't get 'taken for a ride.' Unfortunately, my Passa Thai is limited or I'd do a lot better with them price-wise, but if one tries to get 80 baht to take me from Thapae Gate to Kad Suan Kaew, I just tell him to have a nice day while I look for another driver not so greedy. (40 baht is all I'd pay for a ride of that length.) There are more than enough of them that if one is willing to wait 3-4 extra minutes, you can get a much better price... especially if the next driver sees you waving off the one before. On another direction ride during rush hour traffic with an agreed-upon fare of 60 baht, I had a driver charge me only 50 baht at the end because I showed them a short-cut they didn't know about that avoided the traffic jam. While I agree that most tuk-tuk drivers will try to empty your wallet, there are enough of them who would rather work than ride around empty. After all, a bush in the hand is worth two birds...

But then, on the other hand, I AM in the "completely daft/foolish tourist/senile old guy" category! tongue.png

Yep, any red songtaw cruising the moat will do that trip for 20bht.

Just ask for Chiang Mai RAM. You are paying a tuk tuk at best twice the going songtaw rate.

And the songtaw is far more comfortable.

So ... there's 2 bars and one has free beer and one doesn't. Which one would you choose?

The one with the pretty girls.

Well, we've found the level now!

Sorry, just pointing out "pretty girls" trumps "free beer", for most guys anyway.

I actually prefer central festival mall to any of the bars, packed with pretty girls and you don't have to buy anything.

Although I am addicted to a KFC upsized zinger burger meal @104bht and the window tables at the front, perfect for watching the pretty girls ....... yum, yum.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Yep, any red songtaw cruising the moat will do that trip for 20bht.

Just ask for Chiang Mai RAM. You are paying a tuk tuk at best twice the going songtaw rate.

And the songtaw is far more comfortable.

I wasn't being clear enough. Sorry 'bout that. I didn't mean specifically that destination, merely that distance. Normally I walk from Thapae Gate to Neimenhamen and back every day anyway. But there are times when carrying bulky packages that I prefer a ride, and if my destination isn't on a main road, selor usually won't want to go, and so rely upon tuk-tuk. Obviously, if I could use a 20-baht tuk-tuk I would prefer that. I'm a Cheap Charlie besides being a completely daft/foolish tourist/senile old guy. Well, maybe not so old... I can still deal with that 10k walk every day!

• Like 1

Definitely the one without free beer since it would be more pleasant. But I buy books sometimes instead of always borrowing them from the library.