Another Phuket taxi driver arrested for assaulting a tourist

webfact

I so miss Phuket and the attitude of the locals...bah.gif Why is this still going on?

Not only Phuket..

I tried to hail a passing cab in Bangkok Suk Soi 11 the other day and both I and the taxi driver who stopped were threatened by the assembled taxi vultures parked in the street.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I so miss Phuket and the attitude of the locals...bah.gif Why is this still going on?

In a related vein, I was in Phuket last week and unusually needed to go to Kata in my car. I found a designated parking spot near Kata Beach Hotel, opposite side of the road and further down, so I pulled in. A policeman happened to be standing nearby because it was Regatta week and they were around and about, seemingly for appearances sake.

Anyway, I asked him if it was ok to park in the spot I had just occupied. He took a side long look at my car and said " No. Reserved for taxi". Needless to say, it was just an ordinary parking space with no signs whatsoever other than a rectangular box painted in white lines on the ground.

In a fast changing world, it's good to see that some things just don't change and the BIB help to keep them the same!

That parking lot opposite the Kata Beach Resort is a public car park, but it has been completely filled with taxis or Tuk Tuks and their ugly hang out shack. Looks like a slum. Last year an older French guy tried to park there. Taxi driver broke his arm and threatened his wife and family. Total disgrace. Personally I hope they drive all the tourists away from Phuket and they live with the consequences - no work, no fares. I see it;s already going that way and the drivers are becoming more aggressive - even turning on their own - Good.

• Like 1

And you are saying ALL people using taxis get thumped?? Statistically??

You are not understanding the situation. It's folks trying to use their taxi of choice or even their hire car or a friend tries to pick them up - that get threatened, or at worst thumped.

Only if a passenger refuses to pay the fare demanded that gets thumped.

In a related vein, I was in Phuket last week and unusually needed to go to Kata in my car. I found a designated parking spot near Kata Beach Hotel, opposite side of the road and further down, so I pulled in. A policeman happened to be standing nearby because it was Regatta week and they were around and about, seemingly for appearances sake.

Anyway, I asked him if it was ok to park in the spot I had just occupied. He took a side long look at my car and said " No. Reserved for taxi". Needless to say, it was just an ordinary parking space with no signs whatsoever other than a rectangular box painted in white lines on the ground.

In a fast changing world, it's good to see that some things just don't change and the BIB help to keep them the same!

That parking lot opposite the Kata Beach Resort is a public car park, but it has been completely filled with taxis or Tuk Tuks and their ugly hang out shack. Looks like a slum. Last year an older French guy tried to park there. Taxi driver broke his arm and threatened his wife and family. Total disgrace. Personally I hope they drive all the tourists away from Phuket and they live with the consequences - no work, no fares. I see it;s already going that way and the drivers are becoming more aggressive - even turning on their own - Good.

I agree.

I am sure the day will come when I am sitting in a bar, watching the pedestrian traffic over a beer, and I will see a big brawl involving tuk-tuk drivers, but this time, it will not be tuk-tuk drivers bashing tourists, it will be them fighting amongst themselves.

When I see that - I think NKM will "ring the bell." laugh.png

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

There are not many drivers threatening tourists, but those who are, are creating an enormous problem and affecting the image of all taxi drivers in Phuket. Police need to set an example, so they understand we are serious, Governor Maitri said.

Really - he needs to get out and about some more. See the real world.

Really? I'm living in Pattaya for quite a while and i never see taxi driver being agressive towards foreigner FIRST.Most of the time problem is foreigner being intoxicated,being rude/disrespectful,or not willing to pay the price after it has been already negotiated. I would say 9/10 times it's foreigner fault. Just based on my experience what i'm seeing weekly.Many foreigners come here acting like they own the place,which is really annoying sometimes.

You really need to gt out more as you are obviously living in a bubble. Yes Phuket does indeed get it fair share of drunk ,obnoxious louts and few would come to their aid should they get into trouble, however this article is in connection to the mafia run taxi and tuk-tuk business which over the past 30 years I have seen turn into a disgusting scam where these petty thugs think that they are omnipitent. Well they weren't when the Japanese came nor were they when the allies came back and this modern breed of Thai propagate like soi dogs , however they have their protection from a higher office who also hold the mantra that they can do just as they like with foreign visitors. One day the shit will really hit the fan and Thailand will find out just how insignificant it really is.

Indeed I don't know of anyone that has been so much as thumped by a taxi driver. Then again I have only been here 20 years so give it time.

There was the story about an American being hacked to death by a Taxi driver using Samurai Sword. No I didn't know him either. I did see the video from CCTV so am sure it happened.

jb1

Yep, old news.

Indeed I don't know of anyone that has been so much as thumped by a taxi driver. Then again I have only been here 20 years so give it time.

Which, statistically means absolutely nothing... are you trying to say that it doesn't happen because of your lengthy presence in Thailand and huge circle of mates have never been thumped?

I will educate you here a little sunshine, since you seem to need it. You are dead right about my large circle of friends, as I have been involved in sport in Thailand with several clubs since 1992. I have also been a director of 2 foreign chambers and a member of 7. I have worked in the expat community for the last 13 years and during that time I have never had anyone tell me that they have been attacked by a taxi driver. To me, that is fairly significant.

"It doesn't happen" are your melodramatic words. Obviously taxi drivers do fight with both Thais and foreigners, but for the most part they have very little interest in what the likes of you are doing with the exception of collecting your fare and occasionally reacting to idiots that are likely drunk and belligerent. Do your best to respond with a little maturity, and the occasional fact would not go astray. None of these "my mate, knows a guy at the pub who's sister's farang boyfriend got beat up by a crazy taxi driver a few years ago" stories that fill the pages of Thai Visa forum.

• Like 2

Why does everyone in these articles call the tuk tuk's taxis, they are not, taxis have meters. The only metered taxis I have seen in Phuket are at the airport (I think there may be some in Phuket Town). It is the tuk tuk scum that take the parking spaces and hang out in their sala's, clog up the entrances to hotels and threaten people. Introduce a proper taxi network, allow the taxis from the airport and Phuket Town to take fares both ways so they can earn a reasonable living. The real taxi drivers are just as intimidated by these stand over mercants as anybody else, but they are on average nice people and relitively honest. They pay for their licenses and charge a relatively fair price. Why is it 800 baht from the airport to Kata and 1200 (if your silly enough) to go the same distance the other way ?????

Just get a proper taxi service then they may have to compete.

Bangkok taxis

I would have to say for the most part the taxi drivers in Bangkok have been pretty good over the years. I have noticed the later you stay out the worse they get. Then when you get around the tourist location, even worse, at night time in a tourist destination under the police noses they intolerable. However, during the day and away for those location things used to be ok.

Now...they are getting really bad about trying to keep your money. You almost have to hold on to your money until you get your change. I don't get these people.....actually I am smiling right now because I don't get the people including myself who keep coming back to this 2343 hole.blink.png

There are not many drivers threatening tourists, but those who are, are creating an enormous problem and affecting the image of all taxi drivers in Phuket. Police need to set an example, so they understand we are serious, Governor Maitri said.

Why the <deleted>@k are they showing a picture of the tourist and not the taxi driver? Oh i get it, the tourist is to be known to other taxi drivers (troublemaker), and the taxi driver is to remain anonymous so that he can continue operating without people going "I'm not getting a taxi with you, you're that pri#k who assaulted that Lithuanian bloke!"

Cmon media, show the criminal not the victim (or both)

IE

• Like 2

Considering this is supposed to be a nation of Muay Thai experts, they can't seem to find the balls to take someone on in a fist and feet fight, they either fight like a pack of dogs on a single person or use a weapon.

Cowards if you ask me.

The thing is about training, it usually levels guys out. The training has rigorous codes, which the trainee becomes conscious of, I would say,

usually, these people that do lash out are undisciplined, violent thugs, with nothing going for them.

I know when I am training, I feel less aggressive.

• Like 1

Really? I'm living in Pattaya for quite a while and i never see taxi driver being agressive towards foreigner FIRST.Most of the time problem is foreigner being intoxicated,being rude/disrespectful,or not willing to pay the price after it has been already negotiated. I would say 9/10 times it's foreigner fault. Just based on my experience what i'm seeing weekly.Many foreigners come here acting like they own the place,which is really annoying sometimes.

Well, the article is about taxi thuggery in phuket, not pattaya. I, too , have never seen taxi driver thuggery in pattaya, and actually I have not seen TAXI thuggery in pattaya. This is probably because the only taxis i have used in that area are the ones from bangkok or to bangkok, for which I pay a reasonable fee to a professional entity. I have, however seen baht bus thuggery in pattaya. I have also seen disgraceful behavior from foreigners in pattaya, they make me ashamed to be human, much less a foreigner. However, in Phuket, we have a very different setup, where there is a group of thugs who monopolize transport for ridiculous prices. If someone actually tries to go outside the monopoly/cartel, they risk violent encounters. The taxi drivers I have seen in Pattaya seem pretty reasonable, but once again, I must point out, pattaya is not phuket, it is not even close, when transport is involved.

There was the story about an American being hacked to death by a Taxi driver using Samurai Sword. No I didn't know him either. I did see the video from CCTV so am sure it happened.

jb1

Yep, old news.

What sort of a reply is that, you where wrong, you should appoligise.

Why does everyone in these articles call the tuk tuk's taxis, they are not, taxis have meters. The only metered taxis I have seen in Phuket are at the airport (I think there may be some in Phuket Town). It is the tuk tuk scum that take the parking spaces and hang out in their sala's, clog up the entrances to hotels and threaten people. Introduce a proper taxi network, allow the taxis from the airport and Phuket Town to take fares both ways so they can earn a reasonable living. The real taxi drivers are just as intimidated by these stand over mercants as anybody else, but they are on average nice people and relitively honest. They pay for their licenses and charge a relatively fair price. Why is it 800 baht from the airport to Kata and 1200 (if your silly enough) to go the same distance the other way ?????

A couple of years ago one day 50 bright shiny new Toyota metered taxis showed up in Chiang Rai. Before that we had only tuk tuks, songtaeows and some old style samlors none of which had meters but generally offered low fares.

The new taxis have become a big success in CR . The flag drop is 30 baht and it's 10 baht per km. The cars are neat and clean and though most drivers speak little or no English they get you where you want to go with no BS and no hassles.

I believe the fleet has now expanded to about 75 cars. In CR most of their business is from the locals and not especially falangs. I find the fares to be almost ridiculously low and probably tip more than I should as I have always been pleased with the attitude and service.

Supposedly when the meterd taxis arrived the tuk tuk guys were pissed/worried as to what would become of them...then some pointed out that when the first tuk tuks came to CR the old pedal powered samlors had the same complaints about the tuk tuks....

The good news is it appears to me that all of them are still doing ok and fortunately for CR folks we have a good variety of services available to suit most any need.

The only mafia I am aware of is the airport "limo" service has some kind of deal that forbids the metered taxis to pick up curbside at the airport...so naturally the "limo" service charges two or three times as much as a metered taxi would be....BUT....the taxis now all sit out on the road in front of the airport and more and more people are learning that by walking about five minutes they don't have to be held captive by the "limo" services.

The last time I went to Phuket the tuk tuks there wanted 200 baht to go ONE KM....here in CR for 200 baht you can ride in a new a/c taxi for about 15 km . In Bangkok 200 baht will get you a nice long ride. Pattaya has the baht buses which provide a fantastic service with a continuous loop around the main beach areas for 10 baht.

Yes the cost of living is more in Phuket than CR but is it really more than Bangkok? The tuk tuks in Phuket are also in reality a piece of crap as far as comfort and safety.

All I can say is that is one very powerful mafia there in Phuket to continue with their thug tactics, junk vehicles, and daily gouging year after year. The Phuket governor and tourism authority and police must get some very nice envelopes to allow this crap to continue year after year after year.

It is truly a shame that such a pretty island is tarnished almost daily with incident after incident followed by BS excuse after excuse as to why nothing changes.

• Like 1

Remember the girl a few months ago who was 'abducted' and driven around Phuket for hours? well the same thing happened to my friend in Bangkok. She was driven to the outskirts of Bangkok in a taxi with locked doors and when she tried to call for help - the driver turned around and hit her, telling her to be quiet.

Just because you haven't heard personally "of anyone that has been so much as thumped by a taxi driver" - doesn't mean it doesn't happen

It does.

• Like 1

Remember the girl a few months ago who was 'abducted' and driven around Phuket for hours? well the same thing happened to my friend in Bangkok. She was driven to the outskirts of Bangkok in a taxi with locked doors and when she tried to call for help - the driver turned around and hit her, telling her to be quiet.

Just because you haven't heard personally "of anyone that has been so much as thumped by a taxi driver" - doesn't mean it doesn't happen

It does.

Exactly. And just because someone of TV says it happened to their friend, doesn't mean it really happened either.

It does.

Exactly. And just because someone of TV says it happened to their friend, doesn't mean it really happened either.

It happened. I was the one who took the phone call and had to pick up the pieces afterwards. You cannot imagine the trauma that the person endured for that 30 minute ride. She was terrified of getting into a taxi for weeks after that.

Seems like you disbelieve my contribution.

That is up to you my friend.

Nothing more to be said is there.

"See the real world." - the "real world" is now holidaying somewhere else.

In the future, I expect I will see a documentary titled - "How a group of taxi and tuk-tuk drivers ruined the tourism industry on Phuket."

Of course, by then, it will be too late to fix.

I think the title will be "How failure of law enforcement by corrupt police ruined the tourism industry of Thailand."

or the shortened version, "How failure of law enforcement by corrupt police ruined Thailand."

And you are saying ALL people using taxis get thumped?? Statistically??

You are not understanding the situation. It's folks trying to use their taxi of choice or even their hire car or a friend tries to pick them up - that get threatened, or at worst thumped.

Only if a passenger refuses to pay the fare demanded that gets thumped.

Yes, that is what is often claimed. What I have seen though is that friends can pickup without problems, but if the friend comes to the same hotel day after day after day to pick up different people, after some time it will start to irritate the legal taxi guys there. That is what happened at Graceland e.g., where the guy was working as an illegal taxi driver for his wife's tourbusiness.

All the problems with other taxi drivers are always with illegal drivers/cars. Like the one at Serenity, the one from Kok Chang, etc.

Yes, the territorial system is a pain, driving prices up, etc., but the ones getting problems are always working illegally.

Edited by stevenl

The tuktuks and taxi all are part of the same taxi cooperations. Apparently these days taxis are allowed to accept 2-way fares.

Let's just agree that the majority of "taxi" drivers here in Phuket are scumbags with bad attitudes and with their monthly "association" fees, allows them to act like scumbags with no repercussions. What ever happened to the driver that knocked off the Ozzie guy who in now paralyzed and the katoey that was in hospital for months? Answer, nothing.

The tuktuks and taxi all are part of the same taxi cooperations. Apparently these days taxis are allowed to accept 2-way fares.

They may be allowed to legally but are to scared to do it because of the potential repercussions. In my experience it is the tuk tuks that cause the problems. There is no taxi service to speak of around Patong, Karon Kata...

If there was I think a lot of these problems would at least be mininised if not eliminated. 1000 Baht a month contribution from EVERY tuk tuk driver to the co-operative run by the mayors son buys an awful lot of "tolerance".

It is the tuk tuks that bycott the parking, charge exhoritant fares, threaten people...

I reitterate a tuk tuk is not a taxi (regardless of what co-operative they belong to).....taxis have meters, they are usually cars (not Diahatsu pick up's). If you know how I can get a taxi to the airport (licensed) PM me, I would love to pay the same fair getting there as I pay coming from the airport. Same distance both ways, a meter would fix that problem...