Warning - Buses To & From Donsak to Airports

jack244

Non delivery of pre-paid services.

This has been going on for years. Although I didn't know that Nok Air's transfers were also into this scam. Thank you very much for the head's up.

There are however, still some honest taxi & tuk-tuk drivers who will give an honest ride for a fair price.

A couple of years ago I prepaid a transfer from our hotel on Samui to the Surat Thani train station. We got dumped off at the tour company's office outside Surat Thani and told to "Pai Loy-ee" - and get lost.

They have been making a good living cheating tourists for 25+ years and they regard farangs as filthy smelly vermin. In the end an honest tuk-tuk driver raced through traffic (for 40 baht) like a bat-out-of hell so we would not miss our train. It's more than a 40 minute trip.

If we had missed our train we would have had to buy new tickets.

We are sick and fed up with Samui over the filthy beaches, and these and other scams and likely won't be back. If we do go again I'll make sure to book an honest private taxi to meet us at the airport/train station and take us all the way to the hotel. I'd rather pay an honest man/woman a decent wage for a day's trip than get cheated by these criminal scum.

On Samui and Koh Tao farang are frequently regarded as worse than vermin and almost everything there is a scam. I've got literally 100s of first hand experiences there to tell.

• Like 2

Scams abound on Samui - just like most other tourist/holiday destinations.

I have found that taking a photo of the people usually makes them go away quite quickly. (I have done this to fake policemen, fake charity collectors, fake 'government' officials etc.

The best result that I had was asking to see their id and then photographing that. Quickest exit ever.

Well worth buying that phone with a built in camera - saved me loads of dosh.

Edited for a Big C moment

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

Was tempted many times to take the Lomprayah service Nathon-Surat (airport or train station) or vv, but so many people seem to have bad experiences with that, escpecially the minibus leg from Don Sak to wherever you have to go from there. Not meeting schedules, crazy drivers, you name it.

So I guess have to stick with the bloody slow but at least reliable Phanthip buses on the mainland. BTW, had very good experiences with the Surat Phanthip office recently, the staff there is much more friendly/helpful/patient then a few years ago!

Did you inform Nok Air and Air Asia?

I would add Lomprayah to that too, I have never has a problem with Lomprayah, although never done that trip with them to airport or train station in Surratthani.... (only Chumpon and BKK route).

Perhaps send an email or phone Lomprayah ... it's listed on their web site and see what kind of response you get... and post here (the OP that is!)

Phone numbers and email here. http://www.lomprayah.com/e/contactus.htm

I would say there is a "bad egg" over there in Surrat.... because in my opinion, Lomprayah is usually a fairly "well oiled machine" ...

• Like 1

Did you inform Nok Air and Air Asia?

I would add Lomprayah to that too, I have never has a problem with Lomprayah, although never done that trip with them to airport or train station in Surratthani.... (only Chumpon and BKK route).

Perhaps send an email or phone Lomprayah ... it's listed on their web site and see what kind of response you get... and post here (the OP that is!)

Phone numbers and email here. http://www.lomprayah.com/e/contactus.htm

I would say there is a "bad egg" over there in Surrat.... because in my opinion, Lomprayah is usually a fairly "well oiled machine" ...

Of course there is a problem in Surat.

Nok air and Air Asia have sub contracts with transportation companies in Surat to go from and to the airport.

If they arent aware of what happened nothing will change.

The problem here in Samui is that the agencies who sell the joint tickets know exactly what happen in Surat , but so long they get their commissions they absolutly dont care because they think it doesnt matter to scam tourists as they think they will not see them again.

Some agencies in Nathon with some bambou name are experts in that scam.

Another one near the new bus station , the same.

I went to phuket this way a year ago : epic!

Bought the ticket in Samui to phuket airport (AAsia flight)

Change minibus in Surat , try to charge more 300 B for stopping the minibus at the airport before to go Phuket

. 50% of passengers fell in the scam. I dont, can go in the minibus.

Wait one hour...

Went in a very old one , no aircon, no chokes...

When approching from airport, remind the driver to turn to airport.

He stopped on the main road 3 kilo away from the airport and ask us to get out .

7 refused. He called his boss , argueing that they cant go to airport because they were not allowed to.

I called police > dont care dont want to help.

Called tourist police > know the problem but dont care to come to help.

Then the driver took a machette cause the situation was turning bad with some passengers.

I had to calm down every body before everything turned bloody.

We had to let the minibus go and find ourself 200 m from there a minibus guy who drove us to the airport.

Disgusting....

Went back to Samui a week later and complained to the travel agency : ah ah for nothing , dont care the same.

Remember 14 years ago the first time i took a bus from Bkk to Samui the well knowned scam during the night time

15 passengers robbed of their belongings.....

And then the tourist police controls before coming to Surat...

Scaming hundreds of tourist this way (300B each) is millions at the end of the year for these crooks in Surat.

Why would it stop?

• Like 1

Not a scam but worth mentioning -- just who do you report instances like this to ? Friend of mine and his wife went to C. Mai with us. We came home in our pick-up, they went to BKK by bus. This was over Loy Krathong festival. All flights booked up and the trains weren't running until Dec. 1st. He booked two bus tickets through a booking agent in our hotel. So far, so good. Time to relax and enjoy the holiday. The bahtbus/ songtaew came for them and they had to hang out the back of it....and they weren't the last to be picked up. They got on the V.I.P bus ( haha ) and off they went to BKK. Before the bus had left C. Mai, the driver turned off the a/c ( maybe to save fuel ). Ten and a half hours later, they arrived in Bkk. No stops. No water handed out or snacks. The toilet light didn't work but no-one went in because of the stench with urine and other things floating on the floor.

Now if that was me, I'd have organised some a/c probably by breaking a window and also doing my best to attract the attention of any police that may have happened by. Even livestock carriers have to stop every so often to water the cargo here in Thailand ( although that to me seems a miracle ).

My mate was going to contact the hotel, but it's way too late now. He should have done something at BKK or en route. I guess if he'd complained he'd have got a nil response after all, he'd pre-paid the ticket so they had his money and they did get to Bangkok.

Well, I have used this combination few times (not with lomprayah but seatrans) and never happened to me, either from surat thani airport or from nathon pier..I even think it s well organized for a change.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Last time I went to Surat from Samui I paid for a bus ticket at the Seatrans ferry office at the dock in Samui, checked that it was a large bus. No problem. In Surat I had a taxi we had used before meet me and take me to the airport. I think the cheaper option from near the market where that bus stopped was a bus (Air Asia? bus) that was not in very good shape. The people that took that bus were fine also. This was this month.

OK. Being fairly educated, I emailed both NOK Air and Air Asia. NOK have to respond, however Air Asia stated to me, that as they contract out this portion of the journey, any complaints must go to the ferry companies. I explained that, they are also jointly responsible for a clients journey etc..... they do not accept they are and offered their apologies. Really helpful.

..... snip .....

The Thai people have no social background/history of taking responsibility and no accessible legal structure that relates to this on a daily level - unlike most western societies.

I remember seeing one elderly visitor here almost have a coronary over his laundry. He was staying at a (Thai) family-owned bungalow resort and had handed his cream trousers to the owner to get them cleaned. They came back bright pink.

The owner insisted that it was nothing to do with her - it was the fault of the laundry lady. The old pink-panted-person insisted that he had "entered into a contract with her" and only her, and thus she was responsible. She hadn't got a clue what he was ranting about - she was genuinely bewlidered. As far as she was concerned it was straightforward - she was sorry for him but it was not her fault - she didn't make the pants pink.

End of story. No small claims court over here, or citizen's advice bureau to consult or any kind of legal system to fall back on.

But, then again, you can whack up an extension on your bungalow without spending a fortune to apply for planning permission and then having to wait 3 years before it's all been approved and built . . .

R

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

Last time I went to Surat from Samui I paid for a bus ticket at the Seatrans ferry office at the dock in Samui, checked that it was a large bus. No problem. In Surat I had a taxi we had used before meet me and take me to the airport. I think the cheaper option from near the market where that bus stopped was a bus (Air Asia? bus) that was not in very good shape. The people that took that bus were fine also. This was this month.

Yes, that is the way it normally goes, with no problem... getting from A to B or B to A.... We'd have this forum full of complaints from people if it were not the case....

My last trip a few months back to the train station, was via Songserm ferry which goes to the same dock in Donsak as the Lomprayah ferry. Pick up near my house, then walk on ferry and VIP bus waiting at Donsak to the train station in Surat. No hassles!

Just so people know, the Seatran and Raja ferries are vehicle ferries and much slower to get to mainland (about 1.5 hours)

The Lomprayah ferry or the Songserm ferries, which take only passengers not vehicles, take about 45 minutes depending on sea conditions.

The "Joint ticket" system generally works very well here.

People shpuld really video these scams as they are illegal then forward them to the DSI website or the Tourist Authority of Thailand as these scams is what put people off coming here.

There is a TATS in Samui town center. I suggest sending copies to them then copies to other offices and the internet/ youtube .

DOnt back down these people know they are wrong so you dont have to worry

People shpuld really video these scams as they are illegal then forward them to the DSI website or the Tourist Authority of Thailand as these scams is what put people off coming here.

There is a TATS in Samui town center. I suggest sending copies to them then copies to other offices and the internet/ youtube .

DOnt back down these people know they are wrong so you dont have to worry

Should have more scams there are too many people coming here.

OK. Being fairly educated, I emailed both NOK Air and Air Asia. NOK have to respond, however Air Asia stated to me, that as they contract out this portion of the journey, any complaints must go to the ferry companies. I explained that, they are also jointly responsible for a clients journey etc..... they do not accept they are and offered their apologies. Really helpful.

..... snip .....

The Thai people have no social background/history of taking responsibility and no accessible legal structure that relates to this on a daily level - unlike most western societies.

I remember seeing one elderly visitor here almost have a coronary over his laundry. He was staying at a (Thai) family-owned bungalow resort and had handed his cream trousers to the owner to get them cleaned. They came back bright pink.

The owner insisted that it was nothing to do with her - it was the fault of the laundry lady. The old pink-panted-person insisted that he had "entered into a contract with her" and only her, and thus she was responsible. She hadn't got a clue what he was ranting about - she was genuinely bewlidered. As far as she was concerned it was straightforward - she was sorry for him but it was not her fault - she didn't make the pants pink.

End of story. No small claims court over here, or citizen's advice bureau to consult or any kind of legal system to fall back on.

But, then again, you can whack up an extension on your bungalow without spending a fortune to apply for planning permission and then having to wait 3 years before it's all been approved and built . . .

R

There are laws but allot of people are un aware of them and how to make them work for them.

AllotAll

• Like 1

It happens all the time if the driver thinks you have just arrived from overseas. Only last week i came back from Surat hopped on a bht bus for the short journey to Maenam from Naton. When i arrived the driver demanded Bht200 ! I live here so told him in no uncertain terms PANG! telling him hok sip bht i tossed the 60bht ( going rate) on his seat, he jumped out shouting and abusing me so i just walked away. Some of them are good guys, but there is always the one who will rip you off if possible.

http://www.phantiptravel.com/airport_shuttle

no scam with this company, go direct to the airport from samui/donsak, or sometimes it stop it town for change bus, without any rip off charge,they give a sticker in nathon and the ferry ticket ''seatran''

as for the way back to koh samui, they r the one who stand near the exit after the immigration, 350b include ferry to samui, the bus go direct to donsak, and on the way to the ferry,the agent will offer u a deal, drop off to ur hotel/guest house for 250b each.

i took them plenty of times for my visa run to KL, and no problem at all.

But i think, you need to go by yourself in nathon, the bus is waiting opposite the songserm offce/ waiting area.

It happens all the time if the driver thinks you have just arrived from overseas. Only last week i came back from Surat hopped on a bht bus for the short journey to Maenam from Naton. When i arrived the driver demanded Bht200 ! I live here so told him in no uncertain terms PANG! telling him hok sip bht i tossed the 60bht ( going rate) on his seat, he jumped out shouting and abusing me so i just walked away. Some of them are good guys, but there is always the one who will rip you off if possible.

If you take a public songtaeow, the price should be 50 per person from Nathon to Menam somewhere on Ring Road on its way to Chaweng during daytime without luggage. If he brings you to a place not on the Ring Road, he can charge anything he likes, if you didn't agree on the price in Nathon before, because it's a private transport and 200 is very ok. Same, if you take the songtaeow evening or nighttime.

http://www.phantiptravel.com/airport_shuttle

no scam with this company, go direct to the airport from samui/donsak, or sometimes it stop it town for change bus, without any rip off charge,they give a sticker in nathon and the ferry ticket ''seatran''

as for the way back to koh samui, they r the one who stand near the exit after the immigration, 350b include ferry to samui, the bus go direct to donsak, and on the way to the ferry,the agent will offer u a deal, drop off to ur hotel/guest house for 250b each.

i took them plenty of times for my visa run to KL, and no problem at all.

But i think, you need to go by yourself in nathon, the bus is waiting opposite the songserm offce/ waiting area.

i like your avatour i kept trying to kill an insect on my computer till i realised it was your picture lol Edited by Rooo
quotes.
  • Like 1

Just arrived on samui via the ferry yesterday, an employee (exactly who employee don't know) tried to say there were no buses or taxi waiting for them at lipa noi. I told everyone it was bs, but a few still bought tickets. This occurred just before the transfer bus left to donsak. I called air asia to inform them, they insisted this doesn't happen, I could tell she couldn't care less. Annoying to see people ripped off.

Tom

• Like 2

Just arrived on samui via the ferry yesterday, an employee (exactly who employee don't know) tried to say there were no buses or taxi waiting for them at lipa noi. I told everyone it was bs, but a few still bought tickets. This occurred just before the transfer bus left to donsak. I called air asia to inform them, they insisted this doesn't happen, I could tell she couldn't care less. Annoying to see people ripped off. Tom

Thanks....

Perfect, again still happening, I asked a group I met yesterday who travelled, they also were ripped off on this scam.

It's disgusting, small, thin, youngish, Thai chap on the bus? He's doing rather well on this at 1200thb a pop.

Please keep reporting. Not a lot will happen, just yet....

So what should I do in this case? If someone is trying to scam me, like the young man making 1200 per person, what do I say to him and what should I do?

Do I go with the scam or do I look for alternatives.

I am assuming there are alternatives?

Just arrived on samui via the ferry yesterday, an employee (exactly who employee don't know) tried to say there were no buses or taxi waiting for them at lipa noi. I told everyone it was bs, but a few still bought tickets. This occurred just before the transfer bus left to donsak. I called air asia to inform them, they insisted this doesn't happen, I could tell she couldn't care less. Annoying to see people ripped off. Tom

Arriving in Nathon is usually no problem, there will always be taxis and songtaews there even late in the evening.

The ferry port in Lipa Noi is known for having a limited number of taxis and often none at all in the evening, something to think about if you arrive there.

1200 baht, if that is what he asked, is way over the top - its a scam.

I usually pick up my visitors if they arrive in Lipa Noi just because you can never be sure that there is an available taxi or minibus there.