Briton Found Suffocated In Pattaya

george

...and a local report. It appears he was initially denied bail, but obviously he was out of jail at the time of his demise:

post-9005-1147474500_thumb.jpg

Nicholas John Rabet being fingerprinted before placed in the local holding cell until his court appearance.

British man arrested on child molestation charges

Nicholas John Rabet, a 56-year-old British national, has been arrested at his Central Pattaya residence on charges of child molestation and carnal knowledge of minors under 15. Inside the house were two boys aged 11. Officers confiscated 11 Gameboy machines and games along with cash and other items.

Rabet was taken to Soi 9 for questioning. Details of how the arrest came about were not revealed, with police refusing to answer questions. However, Rabet’s modus operandi was explained. It is alleged that he would lure the boys to his home with offers of video games. One of the boys, a 12-year-old, told of how Rabet would ask them to undress when playing the games while Rabet had his way with them. They were paid 300 baht each time and the boys were given a “commission” if they brought in others. The boy, who cannot be named, said that Rabet had children at his house every day.

Police also revealed that Rabet’s lascivious activities had been taking place over at least 11 years and that there were hundreds of children who had been subjected to the foreigner’s perversion.

On Friday afternoon, a lawyer for Rabet showed up at Pattaya police station with 200,000 baht, requesting bail for his client. Pol Maj Sriprapar Suparattanachote, head of the children and women’s division, refused to allow bail on the basis that Rabet was a danger to society.

Rabet’s legal representative was preparing for court proceedings to seek bail. If convicted, Rabet could face many years in a Thai prison.

Pattaya Mail

Friday July 22, 2005

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just in from Bangkok Post:

Paedophiles called to account

A British man charged with child sex abuse in Pattaya has apparently committed suicide, while an American paedophile was deported to face further charges.

The body of Nichols Rabet, 57, was found on a bed with hands and legs handcuffed and a plastic bag around his head. Police said there was no trace of any struggle. A suicide note said: "This is my only way out."

Last July, Rabet, a former deputy head at a British children's home, was arrested in Pattaya and charged with multiple paedophile offences. He had been on bail for about 10 months and was found dead at his home in Bang Lamung.

The man had been under extreme pressure as he was released on bail over accusations of having sex with an underage boy and was expected to stand trial on May 29, police said.

The second paedophile found the taste of freedom to be bitter.

Steven Erik Prowler, also 57, was extradited after spending a year in a Thai jail, and now will face more charges back home in California. "Americans who sexually exploit children anywhere in the world" will not be spared, Ann Hurst, attache to the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency, said yesterday.

The agency has been working with its law enforcement partners overseas to bring Americans who have committed child sex crimes to stand trial at home.

To send a message to the rest of the paedophile community, Prowler was yesterday deported and accompanied by ICE agents to the US.

He will face charges of travelling with the intent to engage in illicit sexual conduct and engaging in illicit sexual conduct in foreign places, she said. Both charges carry a maximum imprisonment term of 30 years each.

The 57-year-old English teacher at Ramkhamhaeng University's Demonstration School had spent a year behind bars on charges of detaining and molesting minors.

He was nabbed in May last year at his rented apartment in Bang Kapi district after having sex with two boys, aged 15 and 16.

Police said Prowler admitted knowing the two boys for three or four years and paying them 250 baht each time they came over to offer sex services.

With the assistance of ICE agents, police found at the apartment hundreds of photographs of naked teenage boys taken by Prowler, who had lived in the kingdom for six years.

Police also recovered handwritten accounts of sexual encounters with underage boys in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Mexico and the US over the past 10 years.

this story has just been on the itv news.

there was film of the body on a sofa in his apartment , his hands were cuffed to his ankles , and the room looked tidy.

I was under the impression that this sort of incident was supposed to be censored and not put on T.V. or photo,s in the press.

How sick and insensitive these actions are for family members who are after all usually innocent.

( Please read the post in full before judging my statement )

Another observation was the tidy room ?????

Surely there would have been some sort of sign of distress taking into account the way he alledgedly

committed suicide.

Don,t you think maybe someone did the tidying up to make sure no clues could incriminate a third party.

Yet another murder to add to the list on my take of the situation.

Surely evidence would have been about relating to his activities ect.

Whatever the man deserved i still go with the murder theory and how easy the police come to these conclusions.

For the record i have on several occasions voiced my hate for peds. and nonsense cases so please do not think i am in any way sympathetic to these individuals.

Peds. should have a termination befitting their evil crimes, slowly and with suffering equal to their actions.

( not suffication )

My point being that most of these cases are impossible suicide situations and the law needs to start taking them seriously and investigated properly, in a transparent way along with independant reps. of the countries of the victim present.

Once a positive conclusion is reached, then and only then should a statement be isssued relating to each individual case.

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

in view of the fact that this guy was due in court in two weeks on some serious charges , and that he has had nearly a year to sit , sweat , reflect and ponder his fate i think it is safe to assume that he took his own life.

anybody who saw , also on last nights itv news , the american molester being dragged by his arms with his feet sliding along the ground , through a large crowd of baying pressmen ,( with dozens of cameras thrusting into his face , seemingly half unconscious and half in shock ) by some policeman and manhandled into a waiting embassy car prior to his deportation would perhaps understand why the brit took the actions he did.

it was beyond humiliation.

It is possible to put a bag over your head and lock your wrists to your ankles though isn't it? So it could be a suicide. :D

Only if your name is David Blaine! :D

Or Maejo Man!

Great Post MM, top stuff! :o

After seeing his photo, and knowing the extremes involved, I doubt very much that it was suicide, but we'll never know. Just a sad end to an even sadder existence.

he covered his head in a plastic bag before locking his arms & ankes together with handcuffs! hmm

Actually, that sounds like he watched a certain movie that came out awhile ago. It was about a reporter covering a death penalty case in the US.

One of the anti-death penalty advocates was dying (cancer ?) and she commited suicide, with help from her friends, in such a way as to make it look like murder.

Their plan was to get an innocent man executed for her murder, then prove afterwards that he was innocent. The premise being that such a case would result in the death penalty being thown out.

Any ways, in the movie, the woman is filmed swallowing the key to the handcuffs, putting the plastic bag over her head, the securing her hands behind her with the handcuffs (this would prevent her from insinctively trying to rip the bag from her head as he suffocated).

The presence of a suicide note would make this case seem plausible. If it were a murder, there probably wouldn't be a note, there would be signs of struggle and possibly marks on the body.

The life of David Gale, I believe, excellent flick with Kevin Spacey.

The life of David Gale, I believe, excellent flick with Kevin Spacey.

That's it ! I was trying to remember Spacey's name, but came up blank. Just saw that movie last year.

If you watch the woman committing suicide at the end of the movie, you can see that it would be fairly easy to do.

The only difference is in the movie, she didn't leave a suicide note. This guy did.

I don't think it would be plausible for murderers to force him to write a note, then kill him in such a way that it could look like murder. It would defeat the purpose of having a suicide note.

Proper forensics would clear this up pretty quick. Lab tests to reveal the presence of drugs/alcohol in his system. Autopsy would most likely show whether he had been attacked/beaten before dying. Fingerprints on the bag, handcuffs and suicide note.

Not likely to be done in this case though, and I doubt we will get much, if any, follow up from the media. As a result, we will only have speculation about what really happened, until this thread is forgotten about, like so many before it.

If you watch the woman committing suicide at the end of the movie, you can see that it would be fairly easy to do.

It's always seems easy in Hollywood Kerryd. It is in fact extremely difficult, and near impossible for some people. If you didn't see it; read my previous post in this thread for a simulation..MM

A report of his arrest last July:

Briton arrested for molesting Thai boys

A British man has been charged with molesting underage children in Thailand, using computer games to lure dozens of boys to his home.

Nicholas John Rabet, 56, was detained at a rented house in the resort town of Pattaya with 11 game machine consoles, snacks and plastic bags filled with clothes of children who came to play at his place.

Police saisd they've charged him with molesting children aged under 15, no matter whether it was consensual or not.

Rabet offered his house as a free game arcade for children aged between 6-14 on the condition they took off their clothes while playing the games to prevent them from stealing game cassettes.

A bell would be hung on the front door to show that he was at home and the boys could come to play.

Police said there were hundreds of boys who had played at the house, but there were about 30 of them who visited regularly, and would be paid between US$12-$24 for performing sex acts on him.

Metroradio

16/07/2005 02:49 PM

Rot In Pain you scum bag :o

Q: what makes most people commit suicide.

A: Loss/rejection of a loved one.

Q: Why do a lot of people come to Thailand.

A: To find a special love they cannot get in their home countries.

To sum up; Thailand should in theory have the highest suicide rate in the world. It doesn't. Sweden has.

But I doubt very much that every suicide in Sweden, knowalls write to the papers and swear blind it was murder.

Sorry I posted this before I read the real cause.

Edited by lampard10

English Man’s apparent suicide in Central Pattaya

Police Lieutenant Colonel Omsin from Pattaya Police Station was called to house number 241/54 in Central Pattaya to investigate an apparent suicide of an English National.

Inside the master bedroom was the body of Mr. Nicholas John Rabet aged 54 from Jersey in the UK. A plastic bag had been taped around his head and he had apparently handcuffed his hands to his leg.

Near the body was a suicide note which read “Sorry I have to leave like this but it is the only way to escape the stress of my life. Thank you to everyone who has tried to help me through it, but this seems to be my only way out, signed Nick”.

What is known about Mr. Rabet is that he is out on bail concerning a charge of sex with a minor under the age of 15. He was due to appear in court on 29th of this month.

According to his friends, this case caused Mr. Rabet to become stressed and severely depressed which is thought to have lead to this desperate act.

Police believe that a third party was not involved in this case and it was indeed a suicide and not murder, however a post mortem examination and other forensic tests are underway to confirm that suicide was the cause of death and he was not murdered.

The British Embassy in Bangkok are also in close contact with the Police at this time and we understand that Mr. Rabet’s family back in the UK have been informed of his passing.

- PCN

I just looked at the photo of him dead on the bed. Looks like suicide to me. Sorry Maejo Man, but it looks like this guy found an easier (and quicker) way to do it.

I just looked at the photo of him dead on the bed. Looks like suicide to me. Sorry Maejo Man, but it looks like this guy found an easier (and quicker) way to do it.

Thanks Kerryd, ah well, back to the drawing board :D I didn't see the photo anywhere, so just surmised (wrongly perhaps) as another report said.... "A plastic bag had been taped around his head and he had apparently handcuffed his hands to his leg." Perhaps it was both hands to one leg, which would have been slightly easier.

However, back to mowing the lawn :o Now that's suicidal in 39 degrees :D

A report of his arrest last July:

Briton arrested for molesting Thai boys

A British man has been charged with molesting underage children in Thailand, using computer games to lure dozens of boys to his home.

Nicholas John Rabet, 56, was detained at a rented house in the resort town of Pattaya with 11 game machine consoles, snacks and plastic bags filled with clothes of children who came to play at his place.

Police saisd they've charged him with molesting children aged under 15, no matter whether it was consensual or not.

Rabet offered his house as a free game arcade for children aged between 6-14 on the condition they took off their clothes while playing the games to prevent them from stealing game cassettes.

A bell would be hung on the front door to show that he was at home and the boys could come to play.

Police said there were hundreds of boys who had played at the house, but there were about 30 of them who visited regularly, and would be paid between US$12-$24 for performing sex acts on him.

Metroradio

16/07/2005 02:49 PM

Rot In Pain you scum bag :o

Seconded :D

and from the BBC

A British man facing multiple child sex charges in Thailand has been found dead in his home.

Nicholas John Rabet, 56, was charged with paedophile offences last July in the Thai beach resort of Pattaya.

Mr Rabet, who was born in Jersey and had been living in Thailand for several years, had been on bail for 10 months.

A Foreign Office spokesman confirmed that a British citizen had been found dead, adding: "Local police believe the death to be suicide."

He had a plastic bag over his head and his wrists locked to his ankles, according to a report in Thailand's Nation newspaper.

It is reported that he had worked in London and Sussex before moving abroad.

I am always amazed that some people choose to suffocate themselves in order to end their life. Surely a trip to the local pharmacy and a bottle of scotch is a better way to go? Just fall asleep and never wake up.

Plus, another disadvantage of suffocation is late rescue. If someone finds the potential victim and revives (them) they will be brain-oxygen starved and will be a vegetable until they die of natural causes.

Who wants to be a vegetable?

A least the 'jumpers' have got more balls; a bit messy though and inconsiderate for neighbours.

I think this case was suicide; but there are many suspicious deaths in Thailand. In the U.K. there are also suspicious deaths; what about Deepcut, Surrey, where a soldier was shot in the back of the head and the MOD said: suicide?

Thanks Kerryd, ah well, back to the drawing board :D I didn't see the photo anywhere, so just surmised (wrongly perhaps) as another report said.... "A plastic bag had been taped around his head and he had apparently handcuffed his hands to his leg." Perhaps it was both hands to one leg, which would have been slightly easier.

The photo is on the Pattaya City News website. It shows the deceased on his bed. It appears that he may have started out sitting cross-legged, with his ankles shackled together. I would say he did that first, and probably had the bag and the tape ready to go. Maybe had the other handcuffs already secured to one wrist. Put the bag on, then put one hand between his legs and secured the other handcuff.

Looking at the photo closely, it appears that the shackle on his left side is on his hand, not his wrist where you'd expect it. I think that may have been the result of him trying to pull his hand free in his last seconds before going to the hel_l he deserves.

farang deaths in Thailand prove so appealing for the scumbag British press - even more juicy when there's paedophilia involved.

that'll be another few million sun-reading chavs looking down on Thailand and anyone who visits.

I had two friends who have both ended their lives this way, one in Singapore and one from Pattaya. It's an easy sure way to go. Very sad.

You realise why you'r not on my Christmas dinner list Rimmer?.. Nothing personal :o

regards

Perhaps it was both hands to one leg, which would have been slightly easier.

Was it two hands in one cuff??...or 1 hand and one leg??

regards

To sum up; Thailand should in theory have the highest suicide rate in the world. It doesn't. Sweden has.

But I doubt very much that every suicide in Sweden, knowalls write to the papers and swear blind it was murder.

What's your source on these Swedish facts you cite?

According to the WHO Sweden is nowhere near the top in terms of suicide deaths (http://www.who.int/mental_health/prevention/suicide_rates/en/index.html).

It appears to be around 30th place .

(Still they're at about twice the rate of Thailand...)

br /// dfw

Highly likely the tox report will come up with sedatives or other,

Suffocation in a conscious state isn't pretty, end point convulsions can break bones.

If your already in a coma most motor function is shut down,

He probably knew this and prepared as best he could,

Who has two pairs of cuffs handy ?

Regardless, a major lapse in judgment and self control,

then stress and panic, root cause of his demise. :o

farang deaths in Thailand prove so appealing for the scumbag British press - even more juicy when there's paedophilia involved.

that'll be another few million sun-reading chavs looking down on Thailand and anyone who visits.

its not hard to admire the no-bullshit style of alot of your posts g4s.. yet again i have to agree

its not hard to admire the no-bullshit style of alot of your posts g4s.. yet again i have to agree

:o

the problem is a large chunk of the UK population would believe absolutely anything written in a tabloid and when Thailand's involved it's usually negative.

then again, good news doesn't sell in the United Kingdoom.

Off topic, but Sweden does not have the highest suicide rate in the world. Looks like the rate is slightly lower than the global average.

http://www.who.int/mental_health/preventio...uiciderates/en/

http://www.uni-wuerzburg.de/IASR/suicide-rates.htm

Off topic, but Sweden does not have the highest suicide rate in the world. Looks like the rate is slightly lower than the global average.

http://www.who.int/mental_health/preventio...uiciderates/en/

http://www.uni-wuerzburg.de/IASR/suicide-rates.htm

Although all the statistics which are quoted are well out of date it is good to see that the Thailand figures which are well out of date as well were very small in comparrison to many......I suppose they could have been collected before many of the high rise buildings were built.