Briton Found Suffocated In Pattaya

george

Briton found suffocated in Pataya

CHONBURI: -- A Briton was found dead Friday afternoon with a plastic bag over his head and his wrists were locked to his ankles, police said.

Pol Lt Col Omsin Sukkankha of Pattaya police station said John Rabet Nicholas, a Briton, was found dead at a house in Chon Buri's Bang Lamung district at 1:30 pm.

Omsin said the man left what appeared to be a suicide note.

He said police believed the man cover his head with a plastic bag before locking his wrists to his ankles with handcuffs.

His body has been sent to the Police Forensic Medicine Institute for an autopsy.

--The Nation 2006-05-12

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an unbelievable number of farang deaths in Thailand.

In my observation there is an ongoing coverup about how Thais really treat farangs resulting in a false sense of security. And there is always an ample supply of farang fools to offer an ubsurd comment about how dangerous it is in xyz farangland country.

he covered his head in a plastic bag before locking his arms & ankes together with handcuffs! hmm

Actually, that sounds like he watched a certain movie that came out awhile ago. It was about a reporter covering a death penalty case in the US.

One of the anti-death penalty advocates was dying (cancer ?) and she commited suicide, with help from her friends, in such a way as to make it look like murder.

Their plan was to get an innocent man executed for her murder, then prove afterwards that he was innocent. The premise being that such a case would result in the death penalty being thown out.

Any ways, in the movie, the woman is filmed swallowing the key to the handcuffs, putting the plastic bag over her head, the securing her hands behind her with the handcuffs (this would prevent her from insinctively trying to rip the bag from her head as he suffocated).

The presence of a suicide note would make this case seem plausible. If it were a murder, there probably wouldn't be a note, there would be signs of struggle and possibly marks on the body.

Funny how the police will always, always jump to the conclusion that the victim took his own life - even when there are extremely suspicious circumstances to suggest otherwise!

If this was a suicide - then it was certainly a 'most determined' method. No doubt about that!

The poor man definitely wanted out.

That's assuming, of course, that it was a suicide!

Also, whether it was suicide or not, another foreigner in Pattaya and surrounding area dies by violent means - self-imposed or not.

Thailand's a 'killing ground'.........

Edited by bulmercke

If his hands were locked to his feet, then he must have used two pairs of cuffs!

If only one pair had been used then he would have defeated the object, as presumably one hand would have still been free.

Also, was he found with the cuffs behind his back or in front?

Did anyone see the TV footage?

Houdini would have been proud of him.......

"Omsin said the man left what appeared to be a suicide note."

Omsin: "What's that piece of paper over there?"

Subordinate:" A shopping list, Sir."

Omsin:" Shopping list my arse."

Edited by bulmercke

I had two friends who have both ended their lives this way, one in Singapore and one from Pattaya. It's an easy sure way to go. Very sad.

It is possible to put a bag over your head and lock your wrists to your ankles though isn't it? So it could be a suicide. :o

Yes it is possible bkkmadness, but extremely difficult in the fashion described.

Plastic bag on the head after a deep breath, and one set of handcuffs is relatively easy, but you are mobile. and if there is a sudden change of heart, it's conceivable that you could dislodge or tear the bag, even with your hands handcuffed behind your back.

So we look at the second scenario. To achieve this you have to be relatively fit, and it's almost impossible to do in a standing position, so we presume he sat down.

A major point to consider here is that handcuffs are manufactured to a particular standard worldwide, including Thailand, and are not made specifically to fit ankles. In fact I would go so far as to say that anyone with thickish ankles would not get them on, even with forcing. Anybody with an ankle circumference of greater than 200mm (20cm) will not get standard issue handcuffs on their ankles. So the poor chap mush have had relatively thin ankles, the same as I do. Wrists are oval in shape, which the handcuffs are made for, ankles are not.

Pracitcal simulation (Do not try this at home children)

One strong plastic bag, not too large as to hold too much air.

One roll of tape to secure the bag.

Two pairs of standard issue US police handcuffs.

In my case one key, a stopwatch, and a pair of scissors.

Method

We have established that it's almost impossible to do in a standing position, so for the excerise I sat down on the couch.

An average person can hold their breath for around a minute which seems like a long time, but believe me it's not when doing something like this.

Firstly the handcuffs have to be secured to the ankles, as there would be no hope of doing this after the bag had been secured.

I placed the hadncuffs around the narrowist part of my ankles, and only managed to secure them to the first click on the ratchet. I could have maybe managed one more, but it was painful as it was.

The plastic bag had been prepared with a large hole to correspond with my mouth, which was a clear plastic. I placed this over my head after taking a deep breath, and nodded to my friend to start the stopwatch. I then took the tape and secured the bag. The initial claustrophobic effect soon passed as I realised that my mouth was capable of breathing if needed.

My friend was calling out the time in ten second intervals, and more than twenty seconds had passed already.

I reached down to secure my left hand, and found that seeing the handcuffs through the bag, was extremely difficult due to the bag wrinkling, and had to do it by feel. The forty secong mark had passed. With my left hand secured to my left ankle, movement was restricted to the point that I was having difficulty grasping the other handcuff. Fifty second mark, and I really wanted to breathe. I found the remaining loose cuff with my right hand, and held it while I tried to secure it with my already secured left hand. One minute twenty seconds, and I clicked it finally into place, and took a well earned breath, a luxury the victim could not sadly do.

The picture below shows both of my hands secured to my ankles after completion.

post-7622-1147447624_thumb.jpg

I did this purely to satisfy my self that it was indeed possible, and found that it was...Barely. I even practiced the movements prior to the actual test, which I doubt that the victim did, if he indeed dit it.

A person with impaired judgement, in my opinion, would not have been able to end his life in the manner reported. A morbid demonstration? Perhaps it was.

I leave you to draw your own conclusions and theories...MM

Oh no, Womble! Yet another crime against a farang! Call the neighbors! Alert the embassy! Run, run, RUN!!!

Fool, i'm not moaning about the death of a farang, i'm just pointing out how the police seem to again think a suspicious death must be suicide. My comments would have been exactly the same should the guy been thai or any other race for that matter. I also think ortopsies should be carried out independantly and not by the police. This may well be suicide, but there does seem to be some very hard to believe cases.

Remember the prisoners up north who all commited suicide with their own shoelaces?

Or the guy who tied his hands behind his back, put a hood on and somehow managed to shoot himself.

Edited by womble

The picture below shows both of my hands secured to my ankles after completion.

post-7622-1147447624_thumb.jpg

I leave you to draw your own conclusions and theories...MM

Any recommendation if one changes his mind?

Hop to the nearest sharp object and puncture the bag

Unfortunately there is no turning back, and hopping was out of the question as your co ordination is shot in that position....I did try that. I was also out of air by that time too.

The Thai TV news is reporting he had been caught by the police for having sex with a 14 Yo girl. He had a court case pending,

Looks like its news over here as well.

Just been down to my local cafe and spotted the lastest in the London Standard from everyone in Thailands friendly hack....Andy Drummond...

Quote...

A former deputy Chief of a Childrens Home (near here)who was facing multi child sex charges in LOS...etc. was found dead in......etc.

Mr N.R.(in case I got wrong guy)a paedophile whose targeting of young boys in London was first exposed by the Standard has committed suicide using ...etc....

It then goes on to say that he was arrested last year in Patti by Thai police with evidence that he abused as many as 300 under age....etc.... :o

make your own mind up....

Unfortunately there is no turning back, and hopping was out of the question as your co ordination is shot in that position....I did try that. I was also out of air by that time too.

Suck the bag into your mouth and then bite it.(no jokes please :o )

he covered his head in a plastic bag before locking his arms & ankes together with handcuffs! hmm

Similar to the American from Hua Hin in the Dynasty Inn back in 99 I think if I remember correctly.

Cops had it down as suicide - pals of his talked in the bar confirming it.

Pakistan gentleman who chopped up the girls and dumped them down soi 3 later confessed I think

Anyone remember this?

Actually, that sounds like he watched a certain movie that came out awhile ago. It was about a reporter covering a death penalty case in the US.

One of the anti-death penalty advocates was dying (cancer ?) and she commited suicide, with help from her friends, in such a way as to make it look like murder.

Their plan was to get an innocent man executed for her murder, then prove afterwards that he was innocent. The premise being that such a case would result in the death penalty being thown out.

Any ways, in the movie, the woman is filmed swallowing the key to the handcuffs, putting the plastic bag over her head, the securing her hands behind her with the handcuffs (this would prevent her from insinctively trying to rip the bag from her head as he suffocated).

The presence of a suicide note would make this case seem plausible. If it were a murder, there probably wouldn't be a note, there would be signs of struggle and possibly marks on the body.

The Life of David Gale. Was a great movie.

A report of his arrest last July:

Briton arrested for molesting Thai boys

A British man has been charged with molesting underage children in Thailand, using computer games to lure dozens of boys to his home.

Nicholas John Rabet, 56, was detained at a rented house in the resort town of Pattaya with 11 game machine consoles, snacks and plastic bags filled with clothes of children who came to play at his place.

Police saisd they've charged him with molesting children aged under 15, no matter whether it was consensual or not.

Rabet offered his house as a free game arcade for children aged between 6-14 on the condition they took off their clothes while playing the games to prevent them from stealing game cassettes.

A bell would be hung on the front door to show that he was at home and the boys could come to play.

Police said there were hundreds of boys who had played at the house, but there were about 30 of them who visited regularly, and would be paid between US$12-$24 for performing sex acts on him.

Metroradio

16/07/2005 02:49 PM