Parking your home on wheels.

Pini

Hello all,

What's the legality of parking a home on wheels on a beach in Phuket (quiet beach, not Patong/Kata/Karon..) or a lake side etc.

Will I be forced to leave by the authorities? any clear rules on that?

Seems like an interesting way to live, being able to wake up in a different location/sceanery whenever you get tired of your current location while still haveing something which looks like a house.

post-108131-0-70303800-1387085860_thumb.

• Like 2

Great concept, but I would suspect quite a few issues. I seriously doubt you'd be able to park on a beach, especially in Phuket. If the police didn't run you off, it'd be some local business or local resident. Or, they'd let you stay but charge you an arm and a leg to do it.

My wife's aunt runs a restaurant on a lake. She pays to have her tables out there. The actual restaurant is 300 meters away or so. They bring food out by scooter and side car.

Roads would be another issue. Low power lines/bridges, pot holes that eat axles, etc. Security. Toilets. Power supply. Etc.

Love the idea, but Thailand's just not ready for this yet.

• Like 1

Roads would be another issue. Low power lines/bridges, pot holes that eat axles, etc. Security. Toilets. Power supply. Etc.

Power supply especially for running the A/C full time.

Thx for the comments.

For the sake of argument, let's talk about a quiet, deserted location on Mai Khao beach, where there is no resteurant/hotel nearby, just you and sea and you are not interfeering with anyone's business.

In most countries, a police officer/inspector will surely pay you a visit in a matter of days (if not hours) and will let you know that you are not allowed to park your home on the public location (regardless of the fact no one stay there)

I can understand the logic behind it, if it would be allowed to do so, who will buy land at all?... just park your home on wheels and save the money...

Just try to get all these people out from their free beachfront locations... :)

These countries has locations which you are allowed to park your home and even get A/C and other utillities so you wound't do it in places you are not allowed to.

Thailand is different as we all know and my question is, will I get visit from a Thai inspector? what the Thai law says about parking your home on a public territory such as a deserted beach spot?

I have traveled alot and often I stopped at an amazing point where I said HERE, here is where I want to stay for a week, but there are no hotels in this exact location... and you know what? better that there aren't because it wouldn't feel the same if there is a hotel and 7/11 in this location.

You park your home in this amazing spot and the next guy woudn't even know you were there as nothing was permenently built.

How cool is that :)

Definately agree on the low lines/bridges, route must be checked before you take your house on the road.

It's not doable in Thailand in my opinion. On top of the reasons already mentioned, I'd be seriously concerned for my personal safety. It could be feasible if there were some sort of trailer park facility available with some amenities, but I don't know of any in Thailand. Besides, you can find dirt-cheap accomodation in Thailand, and your way will end up costing a lot more anyway when all is said and done.

• Like 1

I also don't think Thailand is ready for any type of RV's yet. Security would be my main concern. Let alone, water, electric and sewer or dump stations and the road conditions. Nope.. I'm guessing, the US is the #1 RV country in the world, with Canada next.. We have RV sites everywhere.

Edited by khaowong1
  • Like 1

Even though I can not see that picture (of your Mobile Home unit), I believe this is very much a 'do-able' thing in Thailand. For starters, there are some 127 National Parks spread-out all over Thailand in some pretty seriously beautiful locations, complete with well equipped "Camp-Sites", where one could stay for any length of time.

Just Google Thailand-National-Parks and I bet you that a new world will open to you.

Other than that; it would be a matter of "making-friends" with people who live in desirable locations and when you have their permission to stay, you don't only not have a problem, but you would be much safer. Same for small resorts, by the way.

Conclusion: Don't pay too much attention to all of the 'doom's-day-sayers' on this forum, but try to thin a little bit outside of the box.

If you want some additional information on this subject, just PM me, okay ?

thumbsup.gif

Don't want to argue with you, but I'd love to see the look on the face of the admissions agent when you drove up in one of these things! Priceless.

Most campsites are in between the trees and setup for tents. And some in areas that big rigs like this could never make it. Winding roads, overhanging trees, tight corners, etc. Even in RV friendly USA, many campsites just aren't setup for rigs like this. You'd never make it in.

Don't want to be a "doom's-day-sayer", but also don't want the OP to have unrealistic expectations. Perhaps a better idea would be a pickup camper? I've heard some of these are being seen around now. Much easier for navigation, but also much smaller. For a rig like this, it would be best to find some spots, get agreement, then move forward. Pick a few spots and leave it at that.

wai2.gif

• Like 1

wouldnt be legal on a public beach but as you know laws arent always strictly enforced here - for example lots of beachfront restaurants put their tables / chairs on public beaches - will very much depend on whether you gain (buy) the support of local police - but anyway you could move around until you find a spot that nobody cares about

obviously as others have mentioned there are non-legal pitfalls / risks / etc and the fact that standard accommodation is available very cheap in thailand makes it fairly pointless but could be fun for the challenge of doing something different - good luck

You can actually rent motor homes in Thailand. The main problem is that there are no RV parks with power hookups, water or sewage hookups. Here's a place that rents them: http://www.campermotorhomerental.com/index.php/en/

I heard about this in another thread. Maybe it was you who mentioned it? These are reasonable sized rigs for Thailand. Complete with generator and looks like an AC. They mention they have a list of dump sites.

They are located here in Chonburi. I might have to stop by and see! But at 800 Euro for a week, not including gas, etc., a bit pricey.

Also, they have a brochure you can download for the national parks in Thailand. It's fantastic.

Thanks for sharing!!

Great Concept and I like the photo. If I were to do something similar, I would modify one of those Chinese flatbeds (not overly large) with drop down sides. Extensions on both side would slide out about 4 feet....giving a total width of 12 foot (when parked). Lots of screened windows. Hopefully, it would not look like a camper when traveling or initially parked. Sounds like a nice project.

• Like 1

My last 2 rigs. Don't have a pic of my truck camper though.

Niiicccee. Baja, Sea of Cortez side in the first two photos?

Yes, fantastic camping. But lately, it hasn't been safe to "wild" camp any more. The one in the middle is actually a very remote beach, but somebody still comes by to collect money every day. Who know who the owner is, but not smart to argue with them.

We stayed mainly in RV camps. Nice to have electricity and sewer! And security....

• Like 1

You could probably convert a local tour bus inside and leave it looking like a tour bus outside and so long as you were not transporting tourists, you would fit right in. I see tour buses everywhere in Thailand and they park wherever they want to. The trick would be to not appear to be a home on wheels. Should not be too hard.

• Like 2

Why make it so eye-catching? Why not instead try to make it almost unnoticeable? How about converting a delivery van?

It absolutely needs a gas powered generator to run the a/c and to take drain off the batteries. Notice that the ones for rent in the link above are very small. That works fine if you live outside in the shade of a tree or umbrella or awning. The camper just carries your ability to cook, your supplies, your a/c and a bed, etc.

Your plan looks great, but I don't think Thailand is ready for it.

You could probably convert a local tour bus inside and leave it looking like a tour bus outside and so long as you were not transporting tourists, you would fit right in. I see tour buses everywhere in Thailand and they park wherever they want to. The trick would be to not appear to be a home on wheels. Should not be too hard.

Did you see pic 3 in my post above? It was the size of the tour buses here. An absolute nightmare to drive around. Unless staying on highways and wide roads. Impossible to fit in most national parks even in the US. We normally had to park outside and drive the car in.

Did you see pic 3 in my post above? It was the size of the tour buses here. An absolute nightmare to drive around. Unless staying on highways and wide roads. Impossible to fit in most national parks even in the US. We normally had to park outside and drive the car in.

Some are shorter and still have a car

post-42643-0-24703800-1387180769_thumb.j

post-42643-0-98968500-1387181325_thumb.j

post-42643-0-36614100-1387181353_thumb.j

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

Even though I can not see that picture (of your Mobile Home unit), I believe this is very much a 'do-able' thing in Thailand. For starters, there are some 127 National Parks spread-out all over Thailand in some pretty seriously beautiful locations, complete with well equipped "Camp-Sites", where one could stay for any length of time.

Just Google Thailand-National-Parks and I bet you that a new world will open to you.

Other than that; it would be a matter of "making-friends" with people who live in desirable locations and when you have their permission to stay, you don't only not have a problem, but you would be much safer. Same for small resorts, by the way.

Conclusion: Don't pay too much attention to all of the 'doom's-day-sayers' on this forum, but try to thin a little bit outside of the box.

If you want some additional information on this subject, just PM me, okay ?

thumbsup.gif

I like the idea, thought of doing this myself in other countries. Had a spell in France travelling around in a "camping car" as they call it, but France is totally geared up for that type of thing.

I'd like to know how you get on.

Let me know, and good luck