NSC chief believes protest ambience will improve positively

Lite Beer

NSC chief believes protest ambience will improve positively
By English News

13870880806583-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 15 - National Security Council (NSC) chief said he believed the protest ambience will improve for the better, changing from confrontation to discussions and exchanging views.

Paradorn Pattanatabut, Secretary General of the National Security Council, spoke of the government's political reform forum on 'Where is our Thailand heading?', held today and led by PM's Office Permanent Secretary Thongthong Chandrangsu, at Queen Sirikit National Convention Center that information and views exchanged and to be concluded today will be beneficial and later sent to the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), led by Suthep Thaugsuban for further consideration.

j.jpg

Lt Gen Paradorn said he viewed violent situations that have been concerns of all parties will change to a positive direction, as several parties changed from confrontation to discussions at forums, while a general election is to be held next year on Feb 2.

The Government's political reform forum kicked off at 9:30am this morning and is expected to end at 4pm. Representatives from many organisations are participating, including the private sector, academics, civil servants, politicians, and some protesters, except those from the PDRC and the Democrat Party. The main question of the forum today is whether the general election on February 2 should come before political reform or that the reform should come before the election as proposed by the PDRC. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-12-15

Sadly it is no more than a window dressing exercise. It's going to take far more that a brief one day meeting to even locate a position from where to start on this board game.

Opening move fine, however there must be, in fact there has to be an ongoing exchange of views and a resultant set of solid act upon resolutions to ease Thailand out of the political morass of quicksand it is now floundering in and sinking in further by the day.

Methinks it has taken many a day to reach this particular quicksand, thus a time frame of some seven and a half hours ( less time for social niceties coffee drinking etc) can hardly be described as likely to result in a positive set of aims as such ideas it seems need to be sent elsewhere for consideration.

''Procrastination is the biggest thief of time'' or perhaps the swag is what passes for democracy in this case.whistling.gif

The main question of the forum today is whether the general election on February 2 should come before political reform or that the reform should come before the election as proposed by the PDRC. (MCOT online news)

There above is the quandary we are now in. What comes first, the cart or the horse?

indeed it going to take a far better man or woman or a bunch of men and women than Solomon with all his presumed sage judgement skills to solve this particular problem.

One wonders if there might be a sort of Lawrence of Arabia scenario will all interested parties sitting under palm trees in Dubai discussing the matter in the not too distant future?whistling.gif

It's like watching a high speed train wreck in slow motion. However I'm fathomless to predict when this clash, or should I say crash, will occur. What I do know is the majority of Thai's who have been kept in the dark through a well planed repressive system by a ruling minority are slowly emerging from the shadows. I don't see this conflict ending with discussion. I truly hope I'm wrong.

confrontation to discussions and exchanging views.

Suthep's view being "I'm not discussing anything, leave the country now."

Not much room for the consensus-forming delights of intellectual repartie or reconciliation there.

• Like 2

POLITICS
NSC supports election
The Nation

30222153-01_big.jpg

National Security Council (NSC) chief Paradorn Pattanatabut

BANGKOK: -- National Security Council (NSC) chief Paradorn Pattanatabut believed that the government-hosted reform forum's messages would reach the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC).

He said that though the PDRC does not join the Sunday forum, the messages would be observed.

Following the ease in the political situation with the emergence of forums to raise ideas to end political impasses as well as the royal decree for the February 2 election, the security council would now campaign for cooperation from all civil servants, soldiers and police officers.

If asked, they will be ready to help the Election Commission carry out smooth elections, he said.

Meanwhile, he foresees the continuation in anti-government protests, but with a fewer number of protesters. Whether this would continue towards next year, it remains upto the PDRC.

He said that in the past few days, only about 1,000 protesters were seen at the Rajdamnoen rally site in the morning.

He is convinced that the lower number of protesters reflected the fact that protesters are weighing options. PDRC leader Suthep Thaugsuban would have to fight with public opinion if he still vows to oppose the February 2 election.

He said that few should show up to support the Students and People Network for Thailand Reform’s plan to lay seige of the US Embassy of Thailand, the move which could dent the image of Thailand.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-15

Sadly it is no more than a window dressing exercise. It's going to take far more that a brief one day meeting to even locate a position from where to start on this board game.

Opening move fine, however there must be, in fact there has to be an ongoing exchange of views and a resultant set of solid act upon resolutions to ease Thailand out of the political morass of quicksand it is now floundering in and sinking in further by the day.

Methinks it has taken many a day to reach this particular quicksand, thus a time frame of some seven and a half hours ( less time for social niceties coffee drinking etc) can hardly be described as likely to result in a positive set of aims as such ideas it seems need to be sent elsewhere for consideration.

''Procrastination is the biggest thief of time'' or perhaps the swag is what passes for democracy in this case.whistling.gif

The main question of the forum today is whether the general election on February 2 should come before political reform or that the reform should come before the election as proposed by the PDRC. (MCOT online news)

There above is the quandary we are now in. What comes first, the cart or the horse?

indeed it going to take a far better man or woman or a bunch of men and women than Solomon with all his presumed sage judgement skills to solve this particular problem.

One wonders if there might be a sort of Lawrence of Arabia scenario will all interested parties sitting under palm trees in Dubai discussing the matter in the not too distant future?whistling.gif

Well if I get a work permit I am available.

For the life of me I can not see how they can bring that many people together and give them all time to put forth their views with no discussion on them In 7 and 1/2 hours. they would not all be heard much less discussed about.

I am greatly depressed that the Democrats do not put forth their policies where we all can see them and respond to them. They are being as closed minded as Suthep.

For that matter as Yingluck has been on the PTP policy of reunification. After 2 and 1/2 years it is hard to bellieve that the PTP will accept any thing else than what they want.

My personal belief is that there will be an election on Feb.2 because that is what the law says not because that is what is good for Thailand. Reform is needed and much discussion from many groups including the Democrats and PTP to give it a positive direction.

If I was to be given one wish it would be that the committee come together in an honest attempt to improve Thailand and be given the time to do it. Yes there are the ones who would come with their own agenda but it would not stand long if enough different fields were represented by people seeking the betterment of Thailand.

There are many out there the trick is to get them involved and leave there personal agendas out of it. Yes they would to a degree still hold to some of it but with the open mindedness of for the betterment of Thailand change some of them as the various points of view emerge. All must be heard and discussed. If the PTP or Democrats refuse to participate they do not deserve the rite to govern Thailand.

• Like 1

There is litle or no value in holding the election before all faction agreement of necessary reforms are in place. Of course PTP would want the election before because they know that they can win the election and that any reforms can be controlled by them by simply ignoring the wishes of others or by total procrastination and they can continue to plunder the Thai nation.

I am encouraged in that whilst not subscribing totally to the mantra of Khun Suthep, the business fraternity agrees that reform is essential prior to the election and methinks the military may not be far behind them but for sensitivity reasons can not say so at the moment and remain on neutral ground.

What of the Democrats? If they take part in the election on 2 Feb without reforms I believe they will be held in contempt by a large part of their base support and will be classed as charlatans in thinking only of their bank balances and not the people they claim to represent, who it is said claim to be fed up with this' rotten system' currently prevalent in Thailand So it is to be hoped that they make the correct decision this coming week by saying that they will take part in elections but only after major reforms are put in place.

Khun Thaksin should be offered once more the opportunity to return and to have his grievances investigated and if found guilty again, he should be prepared to serve his time in comparative comfort. He and his family should be permitted to be involved in politics again once everything has settled but no one in this family should ever be allowed to hold a position of power again.

I know Khun Suthep has been villified by many on TV, but I believe him to be a well-meaning man with a tremendous pride in his country and once this is over he should be allowed to retire to his home in the South with the thanks of a grateful nation.

The time for scoring points and settling old scores should be consigned to the past and political parties of all shades should join together for the good of the nation once the agreed reforms are in place.

Well I put up a I like.

I do disagree on the Thaksin part of it. You are overlooking the fact that he already has the chance to return to Thailand and has chosen to not do so. If he did why should he be granted any better treatment than a man with a gun and a mask robbing Thailand of Millions of baht. For the other charges he has always had the chance to come back and face them. I doubt with him calling the shots he would have had a problem.

As for him staying out of politics what are you going to do take all his money away from him?