British Passport Renewal - Hong Kong or in UK?

I have 4 pages remaining in my UK passport that has my current Non-O extension. The passport has years of validity remaining but it is almost full. That extension expires on 1 Feb 2014 so I think cutting it too fine for a HKG renewal and getting it back for filing the new extension at Jomtien, although it would be good to get the next extension in the new, blank passport.

With the recent changes in what Immigration will or will not do regarding visa/extension transfers, I am not sure if they will accept the new passport for the next extension from the expired/canceled one. I could go ahead and get the extension in the current passport which would pretty much fill it up including the re-entry permits. Is it any easier to transfer that new extension to the new passport? I think either way, Jomtien Immigration would need to see a letter from the British Embassy attesting to the validity of the new passport.

I think from various fairly recent threads, renewing the UK passport through Hong Kong is about 5 to 6 weeks?

Does anyone have recent experience of the turnaround doing it in the UK? I could renew the passport in the UK if it is quicker and then file for the extension from the expired passport into the new passport when I get back late January.

Thanks,

NL

You no longer apply via Hong Kong you send application directly to the UK see here. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/688402-Changes-to-British-passport-services-in-Thailand

From most reports it takes 4 weeks or a little less to get it.

You can get passport if you are in the UK on the same day by paying for premium service.

Good tips chaps, thanks. When I last renewed my passports, I did one in the UK and the other in Bangkok (before the new procedures) and it worked handily. Just needed an update on the delivery times for either option so I can decide if it will fit with a UK trip in early January. Glasgow would be my nearest 'premium service' office, not close but just a day trip anyway.

So, moving on to the next question, will the Jomtien Immigration staff accept extending the current Non-O extension (in the old and superseded passport) into the new passport?

OR

If I go ahead and get the new extension in the current (full with loads of validity) passport, will Jomtien Immigration move that into the new passport after I get the new passport or, do I wait until the NEXT extension is due and submit the old/full & new passports?

Thanks for your patience!

NL

When you go in to do your extension take both passports with you and they will transfer stamps to new passport and then the new extension.

The change for new rule was that if you do not have a year left on your passport the extension will only be valid for length of passport validity. Then when you get new passport they will transfer stamps to new one. Then when the shortened extension runs out you apply for a new one.

There was no change to the transferring of stamps.

Good tips chaps, thanks. When I last renewed my passports, I did one in the UK and the other in Bangkok (before the new procedures) and it worked handily. Just needed an update on the delivery times for either option so I can decide if it will fit with a UK trip in early January. Glasgow would be my nearest 'premium service' office, not close but just a day trip anyway.

So, moving on to the next question, will the Jomtien Immigration staff accept extending the current Non-O extension (in the old and superseded passport) into the new passport?

OR

If I go ahead and get the new extension in the current (full with loads of validity) passport, will Jomtien Immigration move that into the new passport after I get the new passport or, do I wait until the NEXT extension is due and submit the old/full & new passports?

Thanks for your patience!

NL

One assumes this was two separate passports you were renewing ? Ie two different passport numbers ? My application has just been delivered to HK as I sent this before the new rules became common knowledge and was told in no uncertain terms by HK do not submit another application to the UK under the new rules as this will cause a c&ck up and delays in the application

It seems at least for my application they will deal with it in HK under the old rules ...but let's see what happens

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks ubonjoe, that's clear now. I can either get the new passport first and go with both passports and get the old extension data transferred and the new extension in the new passport at the same time. Or I can just go ahead and get the extension and keep that passport for Thailand-only entries for another year (it has validity and space for Thai stamps) and then replace it 'at my leisure' nearer the time for the next extension and do the transfer rigmarole then.

Yes soutpeel, my last renewal of both passports were a year apart so no issues. I think the renewal application requires that you state the details of the other passport. I recall when I was collecting the renewal from the Embassy in Bangok, they asked me specifically about the preceding passport which apparently was still 'live' in their system. That one happened to be a 1-year passport that was issued by the Embassy in DC after I had the previous passport stolen in the US. It appears that it wasn't cancelled in their system when it was replaced in the UK. They asked me where it was and I said it was in the nightstand in Udon along with every other passport I have had so they made a note, said OK and gave me the new one.

Speedy work by UK passport service. I posted my application by EMS from Rayong to Hong Kong on 6 December and today (19 Dec.) have received my new passport delivered to my door by DHL ... only 13 days in total!! I had already sent the application to HK before reading about the cut-off date of 10 Dec on here (thanks for the info TV) - maybe HK is clearing their backlog as a matter of priority.

Speedy work by UK passport service. I posted my application by EMS from Rayong to Hong Kong on 6 December and today (19 Dec.) have received my new passport delivered to my door by DHL ... only 13 days in total!! I had already sent the application to HK before reading about the cut-off date of 10 Dec on here (thanks for the info TV) - maybe HK is clearing their backlog as a matter of priority.

Good to hear I did the same thing only I sent mine on the 10th Dec same day the new rules came in

Just thinking this through... once I get the new passport in the UK, the old passport with the current valid Non-O extension becomes invalid for travel.

Since I can only enter Thailand using the new, visa-less passport, I assume I should also show them the old passport with the still valid Non-O extension inside.

Will they stamp me in appropriately, ie. through the expiration date of the extension in the old passport?

Or will they give me a standard non-visa, permission to stay (UK passport) and then I have to do the extension and concurrent passport swap dance at Jomtien Immigration?

Will either Suvarnabhumi or Jomtien Immigration need to see some letter from the UK passport agency attesting that this is my new passport, same as they have been doing for people getting their renewals through the old Hong Kong/UK courier method?

My recent passport renewal took around 3 weeks. Once I received it I took both old and new passports to the local immigration office in Thailand who transferred all the relevant visa stuff from the old to the new passport (about 30 minutes).

The thing that would worry me is the Christmas / New Year slowdown in the UK, even allowing for courier rather than Royal Mail.

Just thinking this through... once I get the new passport in the UK, the old passport with the current valid Non-O extension becomes invalid for travel.

Since I can only enter Thailand using the new, visa-less passport, I assume I should also show them the old passport with the still valid Non-O extension inside.

Will they stamp me in appropriately, ie. through the expiration date of the extension in the old passport?

Or will they give me a standard non-visa, permission to stay (UK passport) and then I have to do the extension and concurrent passport swap dance at Jomtien Immigration?

Will either Suvarnabhumi or Jomtien Immigration need to see some letter from the UK passport agency attesting that this is my new passport, same as they have been doing for people getting their renewals through the old Hong Kong/UK courier method?

You will need to show your re-entry permit in old passport when you enter. They will stamp you in for whatever date is on it.

Then go to immigration to have your stamps transfered. They may ask for a letter from embassy. The UK embassy will do letter for passport issued the same as they have been doing it for couriered in applications.

My recent passport renewal took around 3 weeks. Once I received it I took both old and new passports to the local immigration office in Thailand who transferred all the relevant visa stuff from the old to the new passport (about 30 minutes).

The thing that would worry me is the Christmas / New Year slowdown in the UK, even allowing for courier rather than Royal Mail.

I am renewing the passport while I am OUTSIDE Thailand so I will be dealing with Suvranabhumi Immigration on arrival before I get to Jomtien Immigration office for the extension and passport shuffle.

I will also be doing the expedited passport renewal in the UK, maybe even same-day renewal at the passport office in Glasgow.

Edited by NanLaew

You will need to show your re-entry permit in old passport when you enter. They will stamp you in for whatever date is on it.

Then go to immigration to have your stamps transfered. They may ask for a letter from embassy. The UK embassy will do letter for passport issued the same as they have been doing it for couriered in applications.

Thanks for that. Busy last 2 weeks in January for me then with getting all the extension related and new passport paperwork together!

I filed my last extension in Udon the day before it expired since I was out of the country and they didn't bat an eyelid. Hopefully I won't get a pedantic blowhard at the desk in Jomtien when I show up with a few days remaining. I have read that some Immigration offices get all uppity with what they see as 'last minute' applicants.

I am renewing the passport while I am OUTSIDE Thailand so I will be dealing with Suvranabhumi Immigration on arrival before I get to Jomtien Immigration office for the extension and passport shuffle.

I will also be doing the expedited passport renewal in the UK, maybe even same-day renewal at the passport office in Glasgow.

Oops sorry about my sleepy reading of your OP. I've never been in precisely that situation, but I'd second what ubonjoe is saying

I had my new UK passport issued during a brief trip to the UK earlier this year. It took just 3 hours to do at a "premium service" office (you have to have an appointment for this) and as mentioned the cost is the same as doing it by post from outside the UK. This beats paying courier fees as far as I'm concerned. Also there is hardly any paperwork required for an application made in the UK; just one form and two photos, and nothing needs to be posted.

On arrival back at BKK I presented both passports with my old one showing my re-entry permit and the immigration official made the correct entries in the new passport. In fact they gave me several extra months beyond the validity of my retirement extension though I dont know why.

Then when I went to renew my retirement extension a few months later Jomtien Immigration copied the old visa details and old extension details into the new passport. Several photocopies were required. This took one day and was free, and the new retirement extension was processed in the normal way the next day. I did not have an official UK letter mentioning the replacement passport nor was I asked for one.

I had my new UK passport issued during a brief trip to the UK earlier this year. It took just 3 hours to do at a "premium service" office (you have to have an appointment for this) and as mentioned the cost is the same as doing it by post from outside the UK. This beats paying courier fees as far as I'm concerned. Also there is hardly any paperwork required for an application made in the UK; just one form and two photos, and nothing needs to be posted.

On arrival back at BKK I presented both passports with my old one showing my re-entry permit and the immigration official made the correct entries in the new passport. In fact they gave me several extra months beyond the validity of my retirement extension though I dont know why.

Then when I went to renew my retirement extension a few months later Jomtien Immigration copied the old visa details and old extension details into the new passport. Several photocopies were required. This took one day and was free, and the new retirement extension was processed in the normal way the next day. I did not have an official UK letter mentioning the replacement passport nor was I asked for one.

Superb info KK, many thanks for posting this. Since there was no charge at Jomtien, I assume you did the filing personally and didn't use an agent.

I guess I will have a second visit to Jomtien to get a re-entry permit if they take a day to do the initial extension/transfer combo.

Since there was no charge at Jomtien, I assume you did the filing personally and didn't use an agent.

I guess I will have a second visit to Jomtien to get a re-entry permit if they take a day to do the initial extension/transfer combo.

I always do all my visa stuff myself as I live just round the corner from Soi 5 and have little better to do with my time!

The extra day may have been due to me going quite late the first afternoon. When I go there I'm more interested in avoiding queues than anything else as it's easy for me to go back several times.

Not sure what you mean about the re-entry permit. You could get this at any time starting immediately after your extension is renewed. It only takes a few minutes.

I am in the UK.I have been waiting 5 weeks to receive a new passport as my old passport was accidently put in a washing machine.

i have phoned the passport office in Durham(where all passport go) if i can upgrade,if i can come down to see them and they just play the bureaucratic game of telling you nothing and saying they are waiting on word back from other groups. and are dealing with it.

Now i will BOOK an appointment at 1 of the 7 offices you can book with.

i will now have to cancel the application i have made losing 85 pounds in doing so.

It can take up to 3 weeks to get an appointment and you can receive your passport within 4 hours or 7 days ,but i wouldnt hold my breath on that.

In over 30 years of getting passport i always had my passport within 4 hours

this new system is a shambles

Well, it worked OK for me.

I called them from Thailand 14 days before the date on which I wanted my appointment and was offered a selection of times on the day I wanted. I picked one that suited me. When I arrived I only had to wait a couple of minutes until my number was called, and the official I saw did the paperwork very fast. They then told me to come back 4 hours later but in fact I went more than an hour early and it was ready. No queueing for that either. Everyone was pleasant and helpful.

Technically I could have saved money by dropping the forms off and getting the new passport posted to me but the delivery "guarantee" was for "7 days max" which was cutting it a bit fine for my flight. So I just paid the extra money and got it the same day.

Apart from the price I have nothing to complain about.

Agreed the way to do it is by appointment.

..Pay the premium price and get it done in 4 hours to 7 days max.

..The post is just a smokescreen of bureaucratic googletalk when you do have an enquiry into the delay.

I might ask them today about freedom of information and mention my mp that might speak up the slow or no service

Since there was no charge at Jomtien, I assume you did the filing personally and didn't use an agent.

Not sure what you mean about the re-entry permit. You could get this at any time starting immediately after your extension is renewed. It only takes a few minutes.

Not that yuo left it late in the day, thanks.

I had read that Jomtien does a ticketing system to handle the masses and that one would have to take a ticket to get the extension done first and then, time permitting, get a second ticket to do the re-entry business after getting the extension as it would be a different desk or officer doing it? One post referred to being 'lucky' to be able to do it same day, depending on how quickly they handle the extension processing. In Udon, the officer doing the extension is happy to do the re-entry as well as it only takes about another 10 minutes tops... plus the hand-written entries and signatures in a separate huge ledger! The busiest I have seen Udon Immigration had about 30-odd people, much less hassle than Jomtien I imagine, especially in April by all accounts. January should be quieter no?

If you go for your extension in the morning they will probably tell you to come back in the afternoon for it. If you do it in the afternoon they seem to generally say come back tomorrow. All this must depend on how busy they are and whether all the right people are in the office but that's how it has worked for me.

In your case I would be inclined to collect the ticket for the re-entry permit when you come back to collect the extension, for which you dont need a ticket. By the time you have your passport back it will probably be your turn for the re-entry permit. At worst you can just take another ticket for the permit.

Jomtien office tends to be very busy but is quite well organised and I think you get queue tickets for everything except coming back to collect your finished documents.

Just to bump this topic and update just received my new passport back after sending my application to HK the same day the rules changed, instructing people to send applications to the UK therefore including all holidays a 24 day turn around door to door

For civil service must say I am impressed I was expecting next week sometime earliest

Having read through this thread, am I right in thinking HK now NOT the place to renew UK passports from inside Thailand and it must NOW be sent to the UK?

S'okay. Just seen it 4 pages along. WHY didn't they just leave it in Bangkok. We have enough trouble with the local beauros without all this crap saai.gif

Edited by jpeg

• 1 month later...

I have just received my new British passport from the UK after applying for it from Thailand.

Sent by EMS from RoiEt post office on 31st Jan 2014.

Delivered on 24th Feb 2014 to my home in the countryside.

Cost:

32 page passport: £147.86 Incl. of return Courier fee. (Paid using UK Visa Debit Card)

EMS fee 950 Baht.

“You must pay in pounds sterling by credit card or debit card using the payment instruction form. The cards we accept are Mastercard, Visa, Electron, Diners Club and JCB.”

As per instructions:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Her Majesty's Passport Office
OVS-L
101 Old Hall Street
Liverpool
L3 9BP
United Kingdom

Application form is very straightforward:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/277737/OS_Form_009.pdf

Guidance notes:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-passports-guidance

Supporting documents:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/266171/OS_Guidance_Gp2_11.13.PDF

Table A

All applicants must provide one document showing photo identity and one document as evidence of name and address dated within the last year.

Photo Evidence

Please provide one of the following:

your British passport (if you are renewing)

I supplied a full colour copy, as per instructions. Do not send your passport.

non-British uncancelled passport

national identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

driving licence

I supplied a colour copy of my Thai driving licence, highlighting my name, birth date and I.D. / passport number.

any government or local government produced document which includes a photograph as part of the document.

Name and address evidence

Please provide one of the following:

visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

tax record eg a letter from a tax authority

educational record eg school report

employment record eg official letter from your employer

letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department

baptismal or naming certificate

medical/health card

voter’s card

parents’ death certificates if applicable

immigration documents.

I supplied a copy of my TM47 and also a UK bank letter sent to my Thailand address.

Knowing that I needed address evidence in English, I informed my bank of a change of address several weeks ago and used their letter of reply. Easy to change it back again if required.

I probably sent more than necessary regarding Table A requirements but better to be safe than sorry and I did not use a counter-signatory for the photos as I considered my appearance has not drastically changed from 10 years ago.biggrin.png

This saves a lot of hassle and easier than the old system which did require a counter-signatory known to you from a listed profession.

TBH, not as painful as I thought it might be after reading some of the problems others have had. Forms and instructions are very clear and precise.