The financial (minimum income) requirement for partner visas for UK

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been informed that my contract will end shortly in Qatar, so I'm trying to find out what is possible and what is not for us returning to the UK.

• Married 10 years
  • Mother Thai (10 year UK visa in passport)
  • Child 1 - 16 years old living and studying at a international school in Qatar (starts prep for her A levels in Sept) currently going through formal adoption process (hopefully this will be complete before we leave Qatar so that I can apply for her UK passport)
  • Child 2 - 8 years old holds UK and Thai passports (no worries for him)

I'm trying to find answers but struggling, maybe some one here can advise?

1. Will my wife and daughter (adoption finished) be able to move to the UK with me? Even if I don't have a job, I have access savings in the region of 110,000GBP and own my property in the UK.
  2. What is the stance with adopted children continuing with their studies in the UK (same as any UK Citizen?)
  3. The intention is that I will apply for their visa's to stay in the UK once we arrive.

Any advice / guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

1) if meeting the requirement with cash savings, the minimum required for an adult and one child is £72,000; so £110,000 is more than enough.

2) Any child aged between 3 and 16 living in the UK is entitled to free state education, regardless of their citizenship or immigration status. If 17 or above, I'm not sure.

You'll need to speak to the Local Education Authority covering where you will be living anyway to arrange school places for both children, so perhaps ask them.

3) Visitors to the UK cannot switch to settlement. Your wife and her daughter will each need to apply for settlement in their country of residence; presumably Qatar.

Of course, if her daughter is by then a British citizen then she does not need to apply and will not be included in the financial requirement, reducing that to £62,500.

Watch the timing; once your eldest is 18 she cannot apply to settle as her mother's dependent. But, of course, if she is by then British she will have the same right to live in the UK as any other British citizen.

I suggest that if you have further questions specific to your situation that you start a new topic, rather than ask them in this general pinned one where they may be missed.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

The financial links don't appear to be working? Certainly not on my IPad so I wanted to confirm my outline plan is feasible if the experts here might assist?

The Family.

I am a Brit, no property in UK.  Plan to buy on return

Wife. Thai.  Married 7 years at Amphur. Have English translations. Has been to UK and Europe on tourist visas.

Son aged 4. British Passport. Mother is my wife.

Financials.

I have UK annual armed forces pension £16,000 paid to UK bank

Wife is a teacher in Thai, earns equivalent £5,000

I can access £50k savings, but ideally need that for house purchase.

What are our options?  What are the requirements now?

I can easily double my earnings on minimum wage + pension = £32,000

My wife will work once settled but not immediately.  She will need to be in Thai to apply to join me and my son, who will start primary school in UK without her.

So to begin with wife will have NO income for the purposes of British Embassy.

Thanks if you can help.

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 5:30 PM, Heng said:

When using local title deeds (completely in Thai) as supporting documents, are you guys getting these translated as well?   (UK standard visitor visa).   

Sorry, missed this.

This is a topic about the financial requirement for settlement, not about the supporting documents needed for a visit visa.

But to answer your question; all supporting documents not in English should be accompanied by a certified English translation.

2 hours ago, iancnx said:

This link works.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/525708/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

Now need to decipher it...... I want to find the simplest solution. I can put £18,600 in an account for my wife. Is that enough for the first 30 months? 

The financial requirement does take a bit of study to fully comprehend!

1) Forget about any income your wife has now in Thailand or may have once in the UK; neither can be used for the initial visa application.

2) Your pension can be used towards the requirement.

But £16,000 p.a. is not enough.

However, pension income can be combined with cash savings above £16,000. You say that you have £50,000, so £34,000 of that can be used.

That £34K is then divided by 2.5 (the length of the initial leave) to give an annual figure: 34,000/2.5 = 13,600.

So if you use your savings, you need an income of at least £13,600 p.a. as well; which you already have.

Therefore you already meet the financial requirement and there is no need for you to come to the UK and find work to take your income above £18,600 and then work for 6 moths before your wife can apply; she can apply now. 

Don't worry that you have earmarked that £50K for a house deposit once you are in the UK. As long as it is in the bank or equivalent, in your name, your wife's name or you both jointly and meets the other requirements, and you can supply the required evidence of this, that is fine. What you do with it once your wife has her visa is your own affair.

Of course, you will have to meet the financial requirement again in 2.5 years when your wife applies for Further Leave to Remain and again 2.5 years after that when she applies for Indefinite Leave to Remain. But for both those applications her income, if any, can be used as well as yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7by7. This is incredibly useful.  Have to admit my initial reading of the regs got nowhere near to your solution. I am indebted to you.

Now I know we qualify, and you say all can be done here prior to departure, so we can remain together as a family.  I see the application is online.  Is there a fast track system at all to cut through the 'filter' and get a face to face with the Embassy Staff or is that a thing of the past?