Anti-Thaksin demonstrators to protest at US Embassy in Bangkok

webfact

Targetless random protesting, counterproductive, not very studious, shooting yourself in both feet and trying to walk to hospital with dignity. To the students, must try harder, see me after class lol.

They already protested at the Zoo too, presumably on the grounds that some of the animals were pro-government. Especially in the reptile house. I personally never trusted owls myself, those shifty eyes following you around. Protest them too, and protest mime-artists, you can't trust people who do all those funny movements for no reason.

• Like 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

US embassy targeted for 'seizure'

By Coconuts Bangkok

embassy2.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Two days after announcing they would occupy the U.S. embassy in Bangkok, a group of anti-government demonstrators have yet to make good on their threat.

Police have been on alert since Nititorn Lamlua, the leader of the Network of Students and People for Reform of Thailand, announced Saturday night he would lead his group to capture the embassy in response to its stated support of the Thai government's plan to hold new elections Feb. 2.

"Listen carefully," he told protesters gathered near the Government House in the capital's Dusit district. "We will storm and seize the embassy."

The statements from the U.S. Department of State served to legitimize the caretaker government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, he said.

No date was set for the action and Nititorn's group have not left their base at the Chamai Maruchet bridge. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/12/16/us-embassy-targeted-seizure

cocon.jpg

-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-12-16

This has the ringing of Physiological Operations. The government implants a rumor into the media and they run with it. Sounds like Big Brother.

Targetless random protesting, counterproductive, not very studious, shooting yourself in both feet and trying to walk to hospital with dignity. To the students, must try harder, see me after class lol.

They already protested at the Zoo too, presumably on the grounds that some of the animals were pro-government. Especially in the reptile house. I personally never trusted owls myself, those shifty eyes following you around. Protest them too, and protest mime-artists, you can't trust people who do all those funny movements for no reason.

They blockaded the zoo because it was being used by the police as an operations center.

So is he still going to seize the Embassy or has he decided upon the more sensible approach of peaceful assembly?

'“…and the US. Listen the US Embassy. As a lawyer, I know well that if I enter your area then your law is used; it is your territory. But if you discriminate against Thais and Thailand. You say that the people today are not democratic [and] why not have an election, but when the same happens in another country, [you say the people did the right thing. Soon will take [the protesters?] to tread on the territory of the US Embassy… Tread on it!… To be clear, listen the US Embassy.. [and] becomes extremely animated and raises his voice]… I will invade [and] seize the Embassy'

http://asiancorrespondent.com/117248/protest-leader-threatens-to-seize-us-embassy/

The guy who stated this is PAD, different than the Suthep led group. The U.S. needs to chill, for sure, but the group who said they'd seize the U.S.Embassy is not the same as Sutheps....

I know that, when I said 'he', I was referring to Nititorn, of the Student and People’s Network for the Reform of Thailand, who, as you say is a former PAD lawyer.

When I read another vacuous statement from the US government I am not surprised. If our foriegn policy does not involve bombs, they seem precisely and impeccably incompetent. When the US government ignores American protestors, I am not suprised. Our politics is more a team sport than taking action to resolve serious issues.

When I read some firebrand in Thailand is threatening to seize the US embassy, I am not suprised. Colors take turns seizing public and private land assets here like it never happened before (while simultaneously behaving as if it has always worked).

The first two I understand. The third one is incomprehensible.

LOS--Land Of Seizures.cheesy.gif

Edited by FangFerang
  • Like 2

This protest is interesting. I hope nothing will go wrong. For me now I can see the opposition is getting more and more unreasonable, do they all know there is international laws apply at every Embassy in every country. So lets see how it play out.

Edited by DK2223

Next time I fill up my car, I'll think of the Thai Oil that's going in....NOT! Where did he get that idea?

Just wait for the "Marines" to show up, he'll change his tune.

Interesting how America always gets blamed for someone elses problem. When we get involved in someones business, we say nothing about it. You know denial...denial...uhm isn't that a Red Shirt tactic too? But I think this time we spoke up so I know we couldn't be involved. (tongue and cheek)

• Like 1

This was supposed to go down between 1 and 4. Anyone in the area who can pass on info as to whether there is anyone protesting outside the embassy now?

SPARE said earlier he could see Wireless Rd but nothing heard yet.

A number of other countries/embassies came out with similar statements as the US. Perhaps just a media wind up to keep the cause on page 1. Suthep's no strategy dummy, imagine he put the muzzle on those kids pretty quick.

Security at US embassy tightened on reports of oncoming protest

BANGKOK, 16 December 2013 (NNT) - Security measures have been tightened around the US embassy in Bangkok after anti-government demonstrators announced plans to march to the embassy.

Police have dispatched forces to guard the embassy after the Network of Students and People for Reform of Thailand (NSPRT) said on Saturday night it would protest and possibly seize the US embassy in protest of Washington's support for Thailand's caretaker government.

Thai authorities made known that the embassy ground cannot be occupied as it enjoys full extraterritorial status and is not sovereign territory of Thailand.

Following the governments reform forum on Sunday, police cannot verify whether the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) will further hold rallies against the setting up of the general election in February. Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban earlier withdrew from the forum hours after agreeing to participate in the meeting.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2013-12-16 footer_n.gif

Seize the USA embassy? where do they find these nut jobs.

I have heard about Suthep's statements regarding seizing the US Embassy. But today's protest group only claimed to be going to protest not seize. Am I wrong? Not to mention that so far I haven't heard any confirmation that anyone showed up anyway.

Brilliant move. Not.

The US position is similar to that of Russia, China, Australia and the EU and others.

Unlike past embassy seizures, I think this time the US will defend itself. The current US government isn't in the mood to entertain trespassers and protestors will get hurt. Interesting how the protestors aren't willing to swarm the Chinese embassy, even though China has been more forceful in its support of the current government. Perhaps the potential of 500,000 PLA troops visiting is sufficient deterrent. laugh.png

Well that comment is about as insane as it gets.

What are you saying here? That the US embassy guards are going to 'mow down' Thai citizens in it's own capital? You got to be joking, more like they will all jump into helicopters and run the hell out of town.

The same goes with the Chinese embassy. They wouldn't dare shoot at Thai protesters. The mob will not allow that, and if they did, there won't be a land invasion from China, that is even more pathetic than saying the US would be prepared to do that.

What it will do is start a diplomatic war which will come to nothing but talk and chatter. Do you think a mob of protesters care about that?

They are working hard to change their country, and no way are any outsiders going to stop them, lest they be torn to shreds. If a US guard shoots at Thais, I expect every US citizen to jump on tThey are working hard to change their countryhe first plane out of dodge.

They are working hard to change their country

THEIR country as in let the THUGS appoint THEIR "good people" so they can all go feed at the TROUGH while they criticize Taksin for feeding at the TROUGH??? At least Taksin wasn't afraid to have an election.

Storm the US EMBASSY....what a bunch of IDIOTS.

• Like 2

One of my friends was in the early protests, and withdrew after things started getting 'wanky' (a term I really don't understand, unless it's a hybrid of 'whacky' and '<deleted>'). She told me that the threatening group of embassy invaders was told to stand down in no uncertain terms by the faction paying for this monkey show of a demonstration. Basically they said that protesting was fine and good. But seizing the US embassy is a can of worms no one wants opened here. Good. I hope the foriegners stay out of it, and the protestors stop looking for yet another demonic moving target to villify as the base cause of their inability to win an election.

Sadly, the protestors are supported by the western powers to get rid of corruption, but the current method leaves much to be desired. No matter what shirt or dress an insurrection wears, it is still an insurrection. If it walks like a coup, and quacks like a coup, it's a coup.

The demonstrators have quite a few loose cannons who love being on stage, it seems. wink.png

The Nation reported a poll that showed that 79% of Thais want reforms.

OK -- do it. Stop expecting the rest of the world to either ignore it or take sides.

Edited by FangFerang

Security at US embassy tightened on reports of oncoming protest

BANGKOK, 16 December 2013 (NNT) - Security measures have been tightened around the US embassy in Bangkok after anti-government demonstrators announced plans to march to the embassy.

Police have dispatched forces to guard the embassy after the Network of Students and People for Reform of Thailand (NSPRT) said on Saturday night it would protest and possibly seize the US embassy in protest of Washington's support for Thailand's caretaker government.

Thai authorities made known that the embassy ground cannot be occupied as it enjoys full extraterritorial status and is not sovereign territory of Thailand.

Following the governments reform forum on Sunday, police cannot verify whether the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) will further hold rallies against the setting up of the general election in February. Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban earlier withdrew from the forum hours after agreeing to participate in the meeting.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2013-12-16 footer_n.gif

Seize the USA embassy? where do they find these nut jobs.

rent a mob from Surat Thani

It has not escaped the attention of international observers that both Korn and Abhisit have taken part in the demonstrations.

Their failure to condemn loudly this threat will not go unnoticed either.

If- by judicial/military coup- the Democrats under Abhisit's leadership, become the gov't party- they might find that they will be regarded with something less than 'friendliness'.

This is the time for leading Democrats to distance themselves- vocally and firmly- from this entire protest or at least from the fanatical wing of it- and NOT try to rationalize this threat by saying it's all Thaksin's fault. That won't wash.

Korm has been distancing himself from Suthep. Agreed on Abhisit.