Theres a Snake in me Kitchen what am I gonna do

DiamondKing

These snakes are very similar in coloring and patterns. Very difficult to tell the difference so commonly misidentified.

Golden Tree Snake
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chrysopelea_ornata.jpg
Look at the checkered patterning.

Paradise Tree Snake
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysopelea_paradisi
Older snakes will have "orange" coloring. Immature has more yellow. Has a checkered pattern but looks more like stripes

Sorry, you all are wrong...it's a "Paradise Tree Snake" Family :

COLUBRIDAE

Species: Chrysopelea paradisi.

Very similar to the Golden Tree Snake and not dangerous.

The Paradise Tree Snake is considered by some to be rare, however in Singapore it is commonly encountered in a variety of habitats including mangrove, secondary forest, and parks and gardens. This is a back-fanged colubrid with weak venom sufficiently powerful to immobilize its small prey, which comprises mainly tree-dwelling lizards. The species is active by day.

The species ranges from parts of Burma and Southern Thailand through Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore to Indonesia (Borneo, Sumatra, Java, Sulawesi) and parts of the Philippines.

Sorry IMHO you are wrong and everyone else is right.

The paradisi species (Paradise Tree Snake) has clusters of red and orange scales along its back. The specimen pictured, does not, leading me to believe it is the ornata species (or Golden Tree Snake).

You are right in that they are closely related, they are both Chrysopelea genus of the Colubridae family.

To add: I am no expert, just based on observation of many images of both species found by google. The pics in Wikipedia are not detailed enough to make identification of the one pictured possible.

Edited by juggernaut

Had the wife's son and wife stay over weekend some time ago. They left very early Monday morning, leaving curtains closed in lounge. I got up, saw what I thought was a scarf lying along the bottom of the curtains, went to pick it up and it "slithered" away under the TV stand. Called in the gardener, who brought his two sons along, to extract a very large - over five foot long - spectacled cobra, who growled like a dog whilst being pulled out! I always thought snakes hissed, but not this on!

• Like 1

And found a second baby this moring inside an extension cord this time now that we identified it as a Golden tree snake just let it go on its merry way in the garden

We might have a batch of hatchlings close by, 2 snakes in 2 days

Happy to hear you treating the snakes rationally and with compassion. As you know now, they are golden tree snakes (or a close relative) and not very dangerous to humans. But, still a fright to find inside one's house.

I had them in my townhouse kitchen when I lived in Hua Hin. I think it was six (maybe seven ... I lost count) of them before we finally got all the entrance/exit holes sealed up. At first, I thought it was the same one, but my landlady had the fire department (apparently they are the Sawang Booriboon equivalent in Hua Hin in terms of snakes) remove and relocate one, but another one appeared shortly thereafter.

As tree snakes, they are adept climbers and can scale a wall quite easily and quickly. Might want to check how it/they got in, giving attention to any exteriorl wall that might have small holes/gaps toward the top. The final step in snakeproofing the townhouse was a 1.5 meter sheet of aluminum across the top half of the external wall. They can't get a grip on the metal, apparently, so couldn't climb up to reach the gaps near the roofline.

This is the Green Tree Snake. The picture of the snake the OP posted does not match. It has stripes. It's also a juvenile. Adults develop orange coloring. Also note the number of multiple stripes on the head. His photo only has three.

Chrysopelea_ornata.jpg

Edited by Mrjlh

For heaven's sake, just capture the snake and return it to the "wild." Poor creature was probably thoroughly traumatized by all the attention because it took a wrong turn to find food. This is the Tropics, you know!

Obviously you've never had six foot of pissed off brown snake coming at you in the kitchen!!!!!

By the way the colour of a snake isn't always a good indication of what type of snake it is. A good snake identification book/chart or whatever is best in black and white. rely on the snakes features not the colour. They can and do vary enormously.

The Aussie brown snake can be the traditional brown, or black or silver. I've seen all three.

Either way if you are bitten you can be in a whole lot of trouble and you better know the correct first aid.

A man I worked with had his son his mother in law both hospitalised after the young fella was bitten and the MIL did the suck the poison out thing.

Had the wife's son and wife stay over weekend some time ago. They left very early Monday morning, leaving curtains closed in lounge. I got up, saw what I thought was a scarf lying along the bottom of the curtains, went to pick it up and it "slithered" away under the TV stand. Called in the gardener, who brought his two sons along, to extract a very large - over five foot long - spectacled cobra, who growled like a dog whilst being pulled out! I always thought snakes hissed, but not this on!

One Thai word for cobra is ngoo hao. I believe it would translate to barking (or baying) snake.

We had a baby spitting cobra in our kitchen in the last year or so.

my housekeeper is on a chair, my mother in law in a corner and my groundsman heading to get a machete,

But what about your lawn keeper, gardener and butler old chap? biggrin.png

The Groundskeeper is the lawn keeper, and doubles as the gardener :) the Butler was on his day off :)

my housekeeper is on a chair, my mother in law in a corner and my groundsman heading to get a machete,

But what about your lawn keeper, gardener and butler old chap? biggrin.png

The Groundskeeper is the lawn keeper, and doubles as the gardener smile.png the Butler was on his day off smile.png

I see. So is the lawn keeper/gardener the same person that's having it off with your estate manager?biggrin.png

Golden tree snake, thanks for saving its life, thats your good deed

for today, don't know why so many people want to kill snakes as

soon as they see them,not only snakes but it seems anything

that moves has to be eradicated with extreme prejudice .

The only things I kill are Rats,mice,cockroaches and mosquitoes,

everything else just leave it alone to get on with its life.

regards Worgeordie

Hear hear!thumbsup.gifclap2.gif

Trash me all you like but to me the only good snakes I have ever seen have been in the middle of the road with tire tracks across there backs ......... If I can kill it its dead .....

Swine! facepalm.gif There's only a couple of types of vipers, cobra's and kraits that you have to worry about, haven't you heard about the people, all over the world, who think they've driven over a snake only to find it wrapped around the engine of the car when they get home??

Edited by TPI

Trash me all you like but to me the only good snakes I have ever seen have been in the middle of the road with tire tracks across there backs ......... If I can kill it its dead .....

Swine! facepalm.gif There's only a couple of types of vipers, cobra's and kraits that you have to worry about, haven't you heard about the people, all over the world, who think they've driven over a snake only to find it wrapped around the engine of the car when they get home??

Yes I have read about that and I would only hope that it would be wrapped around my fan blade in about 50 pieces

I think you mean Monocled Cobra don't you,Spectacled Cobras are mainly found in India?

They are very,very toxic and dangerous snakes.In fact the Monocled Cobra causes the highest fatality due to snake venom poisoning in Thailand!w00t.gif

I think you mean Monocled Cobra don't you,Spectacled Cobras are mainly found in India?

They are very,very toxic and dangerous snakes.In fact the Monocled Cobra causes the highest fatality due to snake venom poisoning in Thailand!w00t.gif

You may well be correct! I took photos of it, but not sure how to load them on here! It had the "Omega" mark on its back!

post-193114-0-64071700-1387342520_thumb.

post-193114-0-97139900-1387342554_thumb.

This is the Green Tree Snake. The picture of the snake the OP posted does not match. It has stripes. It's also a juvenile. Adults develop orange coloring. Also note the number of multiple stripes on the head. His photo only has three.

Chrysopelea_ornata.jpg

Well why would it match?

everyone is agreeing its a Golden tree snake and you show a photo of a Green tree snake.

Go and find your reading glasses.

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

You may well be correct! I took photos of it, but not sure how to load them on here! It had the "Omega" mark on its back!

Wow, never seen a snake hang itself before.

Chrysopelea_ornata.jpg

Well why would it match?

everyone is agreeing its a Golden tree snake and you show a photo of a Green tree snake.

You apparently don't see patterns very well. As I stated, the similarities between the two are very subtle.Just look at the head. I stand by my identification.

Chrysopelea_ornata.jpg

Well why would it match?

You apparently don't see patterns very well. As I stated, the similarities between the two are very subtle.Just look at the head. I stand by my identification.

Eyecatcher is pointing out that you called the snake in the above picture a Green Tree snake (which it isn't). I think you meant to say Golden Tree snake.

Chrysopelea-ornata-03000004155_01.jpg

This is also Chrysopelea ornata or Golden Tree snake. Taken from http://www.reptarium.cz/en/photogallery/colubrids/4155

Remarkably similar to the OP picture wouldn't you say.......

Chrysopelea_ornata.jpg

Well why would it match?

Eyecatcher is pointing out that you called the snake in the above picture a Green Tree snake (which it isn't). I think you meant to say Golden Tree snake.

Chrysopelea-ornata-03000004155_01.jpg

This is also Chrysopelea ornata or Golden Tree snake. Taken from http://www.reptarium.cz/en/photogallery/colubrids/4155

Remarkably similar to the OP picture wouldn't you say.......

This is the exact markings on the snakes in me Kitchen although the colors were brighter but that might just be because I think they were newborns as the pic above would be a older snake the the head markings are exactly the same as the ones I posted.