Former top military brass calls PM to resign, back reform

Lite Beer

casindonet, on 16 Dec 2013 - 14:33, said:

Those retired should stay retired. There will be bloodshed if what they said is taken seriously.

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If your statement is valid then 95% of TV members should also stay retired and express no opinions about Thailands political crisis.

As about "There will be bloodshed if what they said is taken seriously", I trust that the majority of Thais are mature enough to determine what is good for them and what is not.

• Like 1

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done! There should be reform in this country. But knowing the Shinwatras, they will do anything to cling onto power. Even if it means tearing this country apart.

True.

But if Lung Suthep has anything to do about it that will NOT happen kap.

Those retired should stay retired. There will be bloodshed if what they said is taken seriously.

The key word in this news is "retired".

That does not mean that they are not WELL informed and do not care about Thailand.

Quite interesting..... the serving 'top brass' feels quite rightly that it cannot come out and overtly support either one facation or the other, but there is nothing to stop retired 'top brass' from doing so. No-one should be naive enough to believe that there is no serious linkage between those serving and those retired. I reckn the writing is on the wall for the Sinawatras.

I for one certainly hope so.

I am so tired of the t., G.W.B., etc style of more for the rich and less for the poor !

Don't worry the present command are not going to be driven by their retired generals. Time has moved on the Military are more sensitive to Thailand's position in the World today. The Military will not be guided by an irrelevant minority.

Quite interesting..... the serving 'top brass' feels quite rightly that it cannot come out and overtly support either one facation or the other, but there is nothing to stop retired 'top brass' from doing so. No-one should be naive enough to believe that there is no serious linkage between those serving and those retired. I reckn the writing is on the wall for the Sinawatras.

No, it means nothing. The REAL top brass has spoken. They will not let this descend into bloodshed and chaos, nor will they prejudice the international relationships of the country to satisfy the old guard's desires. Let the old boys have their five minutes back in the spotlight, sure...but that's as far as it will go

"No, it means nothing".

Clearly you know little of Thai politics.

Right back atcha.

It means A LOT to the Thai people.

• Like 1

The top brass at the moment have all been hand picked to conform with the wishes of the big bro in Dubai. But they can be pushed to one side very easily.

As far as I remember, General Prayuth was already Commander of the Royal Thai Army when Yinluck and the PTP came into the Government, since Okt 2010 to be precise. At this time the Prime Minister was still Mr Abhisitt, so not hand picked from Dubai. Please get your facts straight.

Edited by hanuman2543
  • Like 2

Yet again as I have stated previously'' the end game is not yet over.'' Yet another set of player managers it would seem is joining the team in this current game.

Whether we like it or not it seems as if the idea of a group of non elected individuals from assorted backgrounds to reform the current system politically and constitutionally might well be the only peaceful way out of the current impasse.

The alternatives are what ? A politically and socially divided society, a military coup, a despotic dictatorship of any political hue none of the aforementioned situations bodes well for Thailand nor its peoples

A ban on politicians of all parties for a two year period and a clean up of the corrupt practices may well be dramatic but as a spring cleaning exercise it is indeed well overdue.the concept of a Thailand run by a National Government without any political bias seems increasingly more viable if we are to see peace.

As a condition of a National Government none of the current politicians should be involved in the administration whether they be saint or sinner in whosoever eyes..

I suggest we all let our wives run the show as they ( the wives) are always rightwai2.gif . Well in our house that's the case.cheesy.gif

I don't get it. Last time there was a coup, didn't the military run the show for about a year, while extensive discussion and idea sharing took place on political reform and a new constitution. That was a few short years ago, so how come there is a need to go through the whole thing again? The vested interests that existed back then, still exist now, the same intellectuals that existed then, still exist now. So apart from inserting some kind of clause in the constitution that says anyone related to, aligned with, employed by, associated with in any way shape or form, or had any contact whatsoever with a certain member of the Shinawatra family, shall be excluded from participating in any political activity, what else do they expect to change?

Guess that one change will be enough for some.

It will be enough for MANY !

And when it comes to it as mentioned on another blog these generals riding around in their Mercedes issuing orders may find the younger officers and NCOs not complying

I think you gravely underestimate the massive influence of these people.

One word from these guys and they can tear the current top brass apart in all three forces, and they know it.

The top brass at the moment have all been hand picked to conform with the wishes of the big bro in Dubai. But they can be pushed to one side very easily.

It would be a case of a few back room meetings with a certain number of lesser ranking (but still up there) commanders, and the Thaksin goon squad pretending to be neutral will be asked to hand over their uniforms lest they be detained in a military jail.

This is a warning to this top brass, if they do not comply, they will be forced to or step aside so the job can be done. This current top brass will have no choice than top discreetly recommend to Yingluck and her rabble, that the time has come to resign.

I can't wait.

Me too !

• Like 1

i am reading all these replies and what I see is that I guess in your country there is NO CORRUPTION Right??????? You all better wake up every country in the world has corrupt politicians that all they wants is power and money. So what is the difference here in Thailand? NO DIFFERENCE.

Yes, there's corruption then there's corruption on a scale so large people can't ignore it. PTP kind of corruption is costing this country trillions of baht and that kind of money is money this country can't afford to lose. I read about people in this present government crying and moaning about lost revenue from the tourists while they ignore the billions of baht lost because the rice pledging corruption scheme and then there's also the 2 trillion baht infrastructure bill. Yeah that's all about building up this country!

Hi there, I agree with you that Thailand can't afford to lose this kind of money and I also agree with you on your last sentence. Just to ask do you know how a business is run? For me corruption is everywhere so I don't want to say anything on this but you mention on the 2 trillion baht infrastructure bill and sorry to say I support on that bill. Every business need a investment we cannot just do nothing and waiting the money to come in. Don't look at the present situation and look into 10 - 20 years in the future then you will understand. For me no matter is this a cause for corruption or what you can say but to me I see the fact and the future. After announcing the bill on infrastructure, the country foreign reserve went up and baht currency in the highest time. So think, what you want is to live in an undeveloped country (3rd world country), or a country that can have a international eye on it.

Don't worry the present command are not going to be driven by their retired generals. Time has moved on the Military are more sensitive to Thailand's position in the World today. The Military will not be guided by an irrelevant minority.

...like the Shin clan?

• Like 1

But the message in this news is that the current military brass should speak out instead of accepting brown enveloppes from Dubai.

Whilst it may be so that these commanders and now "retired". One wonders what the correlation is between the current active commanders and the retired. If it is a close correlation then this could to be seen as a warning or indication from the current armed force leaders that they are in favor of the total dissolution and removal of PTP to pave the way for Suthep.

There is NO Way that the current commanders could have sent this letter without it being considered an intended coup or first act of an official army coup.

I think what they may be saying is that in the event that things dont die down and go smoothly between now and Feb 2nd that there could be an inevitable coup which might not be a bloodless one.

In the statement "The retired commanders-in-chief also called on the current top military brass to come out and stand by the side of the Monarch and of the people immediately to prevent bloodshed before the rising political tension is kept out of hand". So just to ask, isn't dissolve the house of representative, to have a new election, the currently government to be the caretaker and election to beheld on Feb 2 is in the Royal degree from the King? and the currently military want to proceed with the election on Feb 2 as the King requested is by the meaning standing by the side of the Monarch? So just end me up with one question, what is the former brass saying? The King is also taking side?

Hi there, I agree with you that Thailand can't afford to lose this kind of money and I also agree with you on your last sentence. Just to ask do you know how a business is run? For me corruption is everywhere so I don't want to say anything on this but you mention on the 2 trillion baht infrastructure bill and sorry to say I support on that bill. Every business need a investment we cannot just do nothing and waiting the money to come in. Don't look at the present situation and look into 10 - 20 years in the future then you will understand. For me no matter is this a cause for corruption or what you can say but to me I see the fact and the future. After announcing the bill on infrastructure, the country foreign reserve went up and baht currency in the highest time. So think, what you want is to live in an undeveloped country (3rd world country), or a country that can have a international eye on it.

You are correct in that the country needs investment to move forward.

The problem is that PT have pinned all their hopes of investment in the future on the 2.2 trillion.

They have done nothing other than that to attempt to stimulate the economy.

There was a report just this month saying that Yingluck had ordered all departments to come up with measures to stimulate the 2014 economy, a little late now when we are in the last month of the year.

Also if the corruption which you seem to dismiss were to be eliminated or even cut down then so much more could be done.

In the statement "The retired commanders-in-chief also called on the current top military brass to come out and stand by the side of the Monarch and of the people immediately to prevent bloodshed before the rising political tension is kept out of hand". So just to ask, isn't dissolve the house of representative, to have a new election, the currently government to be the caretaker and election to beheld on Feb 2 is in the Royal degree from the King? and the currently military want to proceed with the election on Feb 2 as the King requested is by the meaning standing by the side of the Monarch? So just end me up with one question, what is the former brass saying? The King is also taking side?

The way I read the report the military didn't say they supported an election on Feb 4.

But said they would support an election.

A little different and an indication of what they had said before that they were not taking sides.

And here we go. Now can understand more of who is backing Super Suthep... No wonder!

This has been known for sometime. It is why I have written that this is not about politics.

When you think of wealth in Thailand, it isn't in the military. The military is where the "high So's" want to keep their sons out of.

Clearly, there are a lot more in support than just these few.

If you ever get invited to an event such as a wedding of a relative of someone senior in the armed forces, you will see there is a huge amount of money swilling around. Certainly the people with all the money in the military did not join as working class grunts and work their way up to the top of the trough.

• Like 1

Yet again as I have stated previously'' the end game is not yet over.'' Yet another set of player managers it would seem is joining the team in this current game.

Whether we like it or not it seems as if the idea of a group of non elected individuals from assorted backgrounds to reform the current system politically and constitutionally might well be the only peaceful way out of the current impasse.

The alternatives are what ? A politically and socially divided society, a military coup, a despotic dictatorship of any political hue none of the aforementioned situations bodes well for Thailand nor its peoples

A ban on politicians of all parties for a two year period and a clean up of the corrupt practices may well be dramatic but as a spring cleaning exercise it is indeed well overdue.the concept of a Thailand run by a National Government without any political bias seems increasingly more viable if we are to see peace.

As a condition of a National Government none of the current politicians should be involved in the administration whether they be saint or sinner in whosoever eyes..

I suggest we all let our wives run the show as they ( the wives) are always rightwai2.gif . Well in our house that's the case.cheesy.gif

If you live with Thais the problem is simple to understand.

They are childish, arrogant, backward unfair and illogical by nurture.
The Red shirt leadership arrogantly expect Thaksin to get a pardon.
Just as arrogantly, the yellow shirts believe only they can run the country effectively
Both sides are as corrupt as each other, neither side can logically sit down to mediate as there both so full of Thainess.
But I fear the elitists idea of ''spring cleaning'' may be very different to yours!
  • Like 1

Politicians and ex military may 'retire' officially from the government but that doesn't mean they don't hold immense behind the scenes power. I'd take seriously what these people say.

I agree. These are much respected elders of this country who have earned their respect by the positions of authority they once held. Their wisdom should be a lesson to the PTP and its follower.

If you live with Thais the problem is simple to understand.

They are childish, arrogant, backward unfair and illogical by nurture.
The Red shirt leadership arrogantly expect Thaksin to get a pardon.
Just as arrogantly, the yellow shirts believe only they can run the country effectively
Both sides are as corrupt as each other, neither side can logically sit down to mediate as there both so full of Thainess.
But I fear the elitists idea of ''spring cleaning'' may be very different to yours!

A lot in what you say, but again why have two stupid sides mediate 1 is more corrupt as the latest graph shows and has shown it's colours very well over the past 2 years.

What is needed is a giant vacuum cleaner that will only pick up corrupt persons, choose an uninhabited island and DUMP the Bar Stewards.

No, it means nothing. The REAL top brass has spoken. They will not let this descend into bloodshed and chaos, nor will they prejudice the international relationships of the country to satisfy the old guard's desires. Let the old boys have their five minutes back in the spotlight, sure...but that's as far as it will go

"No, it means nothing".

Clearly you know little of Thai politics.

Right back atcha.

It means A LOT to the Thai people.

The old soldiers gave a clear statement for necessary reforms.
The constant compression to see there statement as a vote for the person Suthep alone is stupid.

What we are experiencing is a movement made up of many people who have the desire for reforms and for a future without a non-corrupt government/state.

I personally trust much more soldiers who swore the oath of allegiance,
as any politician of the past 20 years in this country

And here we go. Now can understand more of who is backing Super Suthep... No wonder!

This has been known for sometime. It is why I have written that this is not about politics.

When you think of wealth in Thailand, it isn't in the military. The military is where the "high So's" want to keep their sons out of.

Clearly, there are a lot more in support than just these few.

If you ever get invited to an event such as a wedding of a relative of someone senior in the armed forces, you will see there is a huge amount of money swilling around. Certainly the people with all the money in the military did not join as working class grunts and work their way up to the top of the trough.

It is a long climb up from the university level.

lets hope so and hope Thailand can get rid of this vile person and his clan soon and then move on

Their will be no peace until Taksin is finally defeaed and if he's not thailand will stay stuck in a loop

All this for one megalomaniac evil man

• Like 1

POLITICS

Defence perm sec dismisses call from retired top brass

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The permanent secretary for Defence appreciates the concern of a former Army chief, a former Navy chief and a former Air Force chief on the current situation but says that the military will comply with the charter and support the election, the Defence Ministry spokesman said Monday.

Col Thanathip Sawangsaeng, the spokesman, said Gen Nipat Thonglek, the permanent secretary for Defence, had received a letter signed by former Army chief Gen Wimol Wongwanit, former Air Force chief ACM Gun Pimarnthip and former Navy chief Adm Wichet Karunyawanit.

The three called on the caretaker government to resign and all sides to join the country's reform before an election.

They also called on the military to announce that they would stand by the people. The three, who also claimed to represent other retired military officers, said the armed forces could support the people without staging a coup.

But the spokesman quoted the permanent secretary as saying that the Defence Ministry would defend the Constitution and all operations and actions would comply with the charter.

Nipat was also quoted as saying that the military would be ready to dispatch troops to support the holding of the election holding if requested by the Election Commission.

Thanatip said Nipat also joined the forum held by the government on Sunday and pledged that the military would support a clean and fair election and would base all its actions on the charter's provisions.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-12-16

"But the spokesman quoted the permanent secretary as saying that the Defence Ministry would defend the Constitution and all operations and actions would comply with the charter."

Bottom line for Thaksin is there. That has been the position for the previous Army General Anupong and for his hand picked current Army Commander General Prayuth for the past 10 odd years. Thaksin, his puppet Yingluck and Pheau Thai can screw the country economically all they want but step over that line and they will be removed. One thing is for sure that unless the country is reformed then Thaksin will not be coming back to Thailand in his life time. And given Pheau Thai can not or will not accept that they are not acting within democratic means and with their Isaan block vote then the politicial garbage of the past 10 years is not going to change in the near future.

lets hope so and hope Thailand can get rid of this vile person and his clan soon and then move on

Their will be no peace until Taksin is finally defeaed and if he's not thailand will stay stuck in a loop

All this for one megalomaniac evil man

Maybe just read ONE paper on the issue of corruption in Thailand ( this one selected at random). It gives some useful background information and might enable you to understand that this problem is endemic and predates Thaksin by generations. You are right in one thing : this is a loop. Excluding or getting rid of one part of the loop will create a vacuum for others to fill. Others just as corrupt as those they seek to displace. There is a staggering naïveté around this whole discussion, as if a simple excision is going to remove a tumour.

http://www2.gsid.nagoya-u.ac.jp/blog/anda/files/2012/01/2_ake-tangsupvattama2.pdf

As far as I remember, General Prayuth was already Commander of the Royal Thai Army when Yinluck and the PTP came into the Government, since Okt 2010 to be precise. At this time the Prime Minister was still Mr Abhisitt, so not hand picked from Dubai. Please get your facts straight.

Actually, he was already next in line to take over from Anupong when he retired, and when he was promoted set out on a campaign of UDD and red shirt ass kissing. That is why he was kept on. He was also the serving deputy commander during Thaksin's government.

You need to get your own facts straight matey.

It still remains though. The top brass can be pushed to one side in a heartbeat and they know it. There are many under them that are a hell of a lot more loyal to Anupong and the other freshly retired brassers. These retired lot have a much stronger bond with the royal palace than this Thaksin mob.

These old Generals should not even say a peep. Who is really at fault her? I would say the old ass military generals that cannot perform a coup detat correctly. If they had learned after the last 17 attempts, there would be no Shinawatra left to haunt this country. So shame on them.

• Like 1